Far Cry2 Cat 8.10 HotFix render errors

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

vj8usa

Dec 19, 2005
Originally posted by: thilan29
Originally posted by: vj8usa
It sort of looks like the rocks are still there but are in shadow or something like that. I still think the 8.10 shot looks better than either the 8.9 or GTX shots. The "floating" rocks look crappy to me.

At first, I didn't think it looked all that bad, until I realized it does this with just about everything that's on the road. See my post earlier with the pictures of the tire - it definitely shouldn't be rendering like this.

Wait now I'm confused...isn't the 2nd shot in nRollo's album the 8.9 one? And the 1st is the 8.10 one?

So if yours is rendering like the last 2 shots and you're using 8.10...:confused:

Exactly what part of the game is this in? I wanna see how it looks on my GT.

Mine is rendering like rollo's 8.10 hotfix shots, with stuff disappearing into the road. My screens just show tires instead of rocks.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Mine is rendering like rollo's 8.10 hotfix shots, with stuff disappearing into the road. My screens just show tires instead of rocks.

Oh okay because your screens with the tires sinking sorta looks like his 2nd and 3rd shots with the rocks sinking. So what you see is like his 1st shot?

Can someone tell me EXACTLY where this part is...I'd like to see it myself.

MegaWorks

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Ok the 8.10 hotfix crashes everytime I select DX10, I get the ATIKMDAG Error. The game works great in DX9 mode with the hotfix.

Maybe there is a problem with DX10 and 4850 CF with this set of drivers.

Apoppin did you get any ATIKMDAG in CF with your Tri-Xfire?

nRollo switch to DX9 and see if you get the same result with the rocks.

I'm removing 8.10 hotfix and installing the regular 8.10.

vj8usa

Dec 19, 2005

Oh okay because your screens with the tires sinking sorta looks like his 2nd and 3rd shots with the rocks sinking. So what you see is like his 1st shot?

Can someone tell me EXACTLY where this part is...I'd like to see it myself.

Oh, I see what you mean - in my tire shots, the tire doesn't get sort of transparent like the rocks did. I see that transparency effect with immobile objects on the side of the road, like debris, and it also varies in degree when I pan my view up or down.

As for where this is, I think it'd show up along most roads, at least in the beginning. I haven't gotten very far. For reference, though, I took my screens outside the first weapons shop, next to some bar named Mike's or something (where you talk to the guy that tells you where to get malaria pills).

I don't know if you'll be able to see the same effect with any drivers you try, though, since you're on an 8800GT.

SSChevy2001

Jul 9, 2008
Okay I did the work nRollo should of done. While these test are all done in DX10, it's still not playable without capping the FPS. DX10 has stuttering problems that still need to be fixed. Also the 8.10 hotfix drivers haven't full been tested by AMD.

Enjoy :beer:

Benchmarks Results

Benchmarks 8.10 hotfix AI on
Benchmarks 8.10 hotfix AI off
Benchmarks 8.11 Beta

6% increase with the hotfix drivers.

Ingame Results

Ingame 8.10 hotfix AI on
Ingame 8.10 hotfix AI off
Ingame 8.11 Beta

3% increase when looking at the rocks.

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Originally posted by: SSChevy2001
Okay I did the work nRollo should of done. While these test are all done in DX10, it's still not playable without capping the FPS. DX10 has stuttering problems that still need to be fixed. Also the 8.10 hotfix drivers haven't full been tested by AMD.

Benchmarks Results

Benchmarks 8.11 Beta

Ingame Results

Ingame 8.10 hotfix AI on
Ingame 8.11 Beta

Nicely done man! So there is an improvement with the "transparent rocks" on 8.10 drivers. But could this 3% be called a performance improvement with the loss of quality, or a simply bug/ accident in the drivers? I don't think ATI would damage the image quality for a 3% of performance increase. If it was at least 10%, then that could really mean "a dirty cheating job", but this looks more like a bug or an error.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: MegaWorks
Ok the 8.10 hotfix crashes everytime I select DX10, I get the ATIKMDAG Error. The game works great in DX9 mode with the hotfix.

Maybe there is a problem with DX10 and 4850 CF with this set of drivers.

Apoppin did you get any ATIKMDAG in CF with your Tri-Xfire?

nRollo switch to DX9 and see if you get the same result with the rocks.

I'm removing 8.10 hotfix and installing the regular 8.10.

There are problems with DX10 not DX9 .. that is what the Hotfix is supposed to be for :p

No .. i got no problems with CFx3 or with 4870x2 with the regular cat 8-10 drivers
- and my review is done with the images posted for comparisons on my site

AT ANY RATE, 4870/1GB is mostly broken with FC2 - compared with GTX280 or 4870x2
:thumbsdown:

SSChevy2001

Jul 9, 2008
Originally posted by: error8

Benchmarks Results

Benchmarks 8.11 Beta

Ingame Results

Ingame 8.10 hotfix AI on
Ingame 8.11 Beta

Nicely done man! So there is an improvement with the "transparent rocks" on 8.10 drivers. But could this 3% be called a performance improvement with the loss of quality, or a simply bug/ accident in the drivers? I don't think ATI would damage the image quality for a 3% of performance increase. If it was at least 10%, then that could really mean "a dirty cheating job", but this looks more like a bug or an error.
The fix was originally made to fix CF scaling problems with DX9. Sure it has some rendering problems with DX10, but I doubt this is the last update we'll see. Clearly we should wait till 8.11 to pass judgement.

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
Originally posted by: BenSkywalker
Something everyone has to keep in mind though, these are untested drivers by AMD, so you can't blast them for it ... AMD should be notified instead, and then we'll see what happens in the next official drivers ...

I'm assuming that post is in jest? This is a hotfix for one particular game. If it broke some other game, I could understand- but given that it was released particularly for one game if it doesn't work in that singular game then why shouldn't it be hammered? You don't ever release a hotfix that further breaks something. And if they didn't test their FarCry2 hotfix running FarCry2 then I would say ATi has some rather serious issues that go well beyone a rendering error ;)

No mr troll, this is not in jest. The earlier screenshots nrollo made showed a clear difference between cat 8.9 and 8.10, but 8.10 looked better to me. It showed improvements, and now it seems to be proven it also shows errors. AMD clearly states they havent been thoroughly tested. It happens sometimes, they are trying to help, but thoroughly testing it takes days, which they didn't have, yet ... So stop trolling ...

MegaWorks

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by: MegaWorks
Dx9 very high 1680x1050 4850 in CrossFire

Edit: I'm using the Far Cry 2 hotfix drivers

I guess I'm getting the same result as nRollo. I'm doing so more tests.

That's the same result as rollo's? The rocks in your screenshot don't look faded out or anything.

Yeah I didn't pay attention to nRollo first shot. :p
But yes it looks ok in DX9 mode, I think people are having problems in DX10 mode.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: MarcVenice
Originally posted by: BenSkywalker
Something everyone has to keep in mind though, these are untested drivers by AMD, so you can't blast them for it ... AMD should be notified instead, and then we'll see what happens in the next official drivers ...

I'm assuming that post is in jest? This is a hotfix for one particular game. If it broke some other game, I could understand- but given that it was released particularly for one game if it doesn't work in that singular game then why shouldn't it be hammered? You don't ever release a hotfix that further breaks something. And if they didn't test their FarCry2 hotfix running FarCry2 then I would say ATi has some rather serious issues that go well beyone a rendering error ;)

No mr troll, this is not in jest. The earlier screenshots nrollo made showed a clear difference between cat 8.9 and 8.10, but 8.10 looked better to me. It showed improvements, and now it seems to be proven it also shows errors. AMD clearly states they havent been thoroughly tested. It happens sometimes, they are trying to help, but thoroughly testing it takes days, which they didn't have, yet ... So stop trolling ...

Ben is not trolling, Marc .. AMD released a set of beta drivers expressly for FarCry2 and they clearly improved performance - almost to GTX280 levels [if you check my site's better looking benches] .. just see what the hotfix drivers did

4870/8-10......................................4870/1GB? HotFix

noAA/01xAF - 49.16 69.45 40.69 52.63 70.16 42.99

noAA/16xAF - 48.90 69.08 40.66 52.15 69.85 42.32

2xAA/16xAF - 43.10 56.24 34.61 45.61 62.48 36.36

4xAA/16xAF - 37.54 57.42 28.18 39.86 54.66 30.32

8xAA/16xAF - 26.10 37.86 17.90 27.56 38.82 18.51

BUT .. and it is a big one .. looking at my screenshots, they TRASHED the IQ
- are they stupid? or what ? - it is the very BEGINNING of the game .. try walking around in the game with those f'dup drivers

AND .. worst of all ... the hotfix clearly did nothing to stop the nasty hitching for 4870 with rates above 30 FPS .. that is a simple frame cap like UT3 uses - and it made textures much worse .. walk around, there's a very clear difference between 8-10 and hotfix drivers - is AMD hiring blind people now, for their driver teams?
:confused:
Yet they managed to increase performance across the board

that is *irresponsible* for AMD to even post their G-D crappy drivers on their site and waste all of our time :|
:thumbsdown:

finally, Rollo removed Cat 8-9 drivers because they were irrelevant to FC2 having been released before the game - they would also have serious issues
--the problem is between the Cat 8-10 drivers and 8-10 hotfix breaking textures
rose.gif

finally, if you look at my comparison shots of GTX280 and HD4870 {cat 8-10} - they are very close and show the increasing levels of AA applies pretty well
- not bad for a Rollo screen shot .. :p

MegaWorks

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Ok the regular 8.10 drivers work great in CrossFire DX10 mode with no crashes. So Far Cry 2

hotfix is a POS and AMD should remove it from their site. :thumbsdown:

SSChevy2001

Jul 9, 2008
@apoppin

AMD clearly released this update to fix CF problem with DX9, for XP users. They sure as crap didn't fix the DX10 hitching, so do you really think they focus much with DX10?

Did you do any comparisons on your 4870x2 with DX9?
If so did this update fix CF performance without messing up IQ?

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
@apoppin

AMD clearly released this update to fix CF problem with DX9, for XP users. They sure as crap didn't fix the DX10 hitching, so do you really think they focus much with DX10?

Did you do any comparisons on your 4870x2 with DX9?
If so did this update fix CF performance without messing up IQ?

let's see what AMD says:
This hotfix

* Improves performance for the DirectX 9 version of Far Cry 2 on CrossFire? compatible systems
* Improves performance for the DirectX 10 version of Far Cry 2 on both single and CrossFire? compatible systems

The hotfix download package includes both the Display Driver and Catalyst Control Center. The hotfix can be downloaded by clicking on the links below.

Far Cry 2 XP HotFix (includes XP 32-bit and 64-bit)
Far Cry 2 Vista HotFix (includes Vista 32-bit and 64-bit)

Note: This driver is provided as is and is not supported by AMD. It has not completed full AMD testing, and is only recommended for users experiencing the particular issue described above

Did you miss the part about DX10 improvement? :p

and PM sent
rose.gif

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
A lot of times people just look at which card is on top of the performance graph for the game they want to play, so even a few percent can be a big deal to a GPU manufacturer.

Thilan, I'd be happy to send you my save game, but you can't see this issue with an 8800GT- do you still want it?

SSChevy2001

Jul 9, 2008
@apoppin

No I didn't miss that part, go to page 3 were I posted the link for you. Thanks for the link to your page.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
@apoppin

No I didn't miss that part, go to page 3 were I posted the link for you. Thanks for the link to your page.

You're welcome .. and what do you mean about your link?
:confused:

Here's a link showing some screens (work done by Apoppin...thanks :) )
http://www.alienbabeltech.com/?p=890

I still think the 8.10 looks better (at least in the part under discussion)

what do you mean?

the first 5 screen shots that i used are all 8-10 shots with increasing levels of filtering applied - they just compare the GTX280's 5 screens with the 4870-1GB - and they look correct and pretty close [imo]
- However, the *one* other screen shot is Hotfix drivers using the same 4870 - and only one is included as a sample, as all the shots are identical except for the levels of filtering
- clearly it is missing textures

my conclusion is:

1) The hotfix driver does improve performance
2) Textures are missing with the hotfix drivers
3) you should not use them at all - unless the regular 8-10s are unplayable for you

and finally, a 1GB 4870 runs like crap with maxed out setting in FC2 at 19x12 - *contrasted* with the smoothness of the GTX280 and the 4870x2; you can hope the "smoothing" framerate cap as suggested earlier works for you
- we can hope for another Hotfix for 4870 owners - or that Cat 8-11 improves DX10 performance - drastically!
rose.gif

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: nRollo
Thilan, I'd be happy to send you my save game, but you can't see this issue with an 8800GT- do you still want it?

Nah it's okay I looked at it on another part of the game...what you're seeing with the gtx I mean.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: apoppin
what do you mean?

I like the rendering of the 1st screen in nRollo's album and the last screen in your page. I don't like how the rocks are sort of "floating" in the other screens...it looks less natural. I don't know what's causing it to look like that but I prefer the hotfix screens...just my opinion.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: YBS1
*Shrug* The 8.10s look better to me. It's a slightly different camera angle and a slightly different time of day though from the looks of the shadowing anyway.

Backfire from the nVidia Focus Group member.

Is there an ATI staffer here?

YearZero

May 9, 2007
At the risk of straying a little off topic, the 8.10 FarCry 2 Hot Fix drivers (on Vista x64) absolutely destroyed the stability of my system while they were on. (4870 512MB user)

I got insane rendering artifacts in Crysis, UT3 and also in the ubiquitous ATI Tray Tools at overclocked and stock frequencies.
This was all quite a surprise to me as I thought my days of seeing graphics artifacts were over after struggling with an artifacting 6800GT for over a year.

Luckily after removing the offending drivers and installing 8.8 WHQL again, the artifacts were gone.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: apoppin
what do you mean?

I like the rendering of the 1st screen in nRollo's album and the last screen in your page. I don't like how the rocks are sort of "floating" in the other screens...it looks less natural. I don't know what's causing it to look like that but I prefer the 8.10 screens...just my opinion.

maybe it is more artsy viewing textures through half-missing rocks
-but clearly more than 1/2 of the rocks are missing in the Hotfix drivers image

Are you even looking at the full-size images?; those are just thumbnails i put up - click on them and compare properly
[or get new glasses, grandpa]

You kept confusing me because you keep stating, "I prefer the 8.10 screens"
they are *both* 8-10 .. i prefer the regular 8-10 drivers because i'd hate to lose my rocks to a 8-10 Hotfix that way
:Q

the hotfix drivers are a mess
rose.gif

undoubtedly .. let's see who logs off :p

how long do you think they will stay up at AMD's site?
:clock:

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: YBS1
*Shrug* The 8.10s look better to me. It's a slightly different camera angle and a slightly different time of day though from the looks of the shadowing anyway.

Backfire from the nVidia Focus Group member.

Hardly, the fact you asked this just shows you obviously missed the screen shots he originally posted and pulled. The funny thing is people seem to be more concerned with rendering errors in this thread than the fact that the hot fix drivers run like complete ass in DX10 mode no matter what the framerate.