Far Cry2 Cat 8.10 HotFix render errors

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
IQ comparison

I was testing out Far Cry2 on a Radeon 4850, and found some there are definite differences in the new Cat 8.10s with the Far Cry 2 hotfix.

It looks to me like the speed increases might be coming at the expense of accuracy.

I've updated the images, taken from a save point with a renamed executable.

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
*Shrug* The 8.10s look better to me. It's a slightly different camera angle and a slightly different time of day though from the looks of the shadowing anyway. Backfire from the nVidia Focus Group member.

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: YBS1
*Shrug* The 8.10s look better to me. It's a slightly different camera angle and a slightly different time of day though from the looks of the shadowing anyway. Backfire from the nVidia Focus Group member.

That screenshot is taken during the scripted jeep ride in, time of day is the same. There are other differences as well, I'll post more this weekend.

From what I've seen, 8.10 benchmarks are faulty. I'm guessing a review site will do an article on this as well, this kind of stuff always gets some publicity, then the company fixes it.

tuteja1986

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2005
err rollo :) what wouldn't you do to show your un-dieing loyalty for nvidia. I wonder if you ever do this extensive critical analysis on graphic for games on Nvidia card.

450R

Feb 22, 2005
Originally posted by: nRollo

That screenshot is taken during the scripted jeep ride in, time of day is the same. There are other differences as well, I'll post more this weekend.

From what I've seen, 8.10 benchmarks are faulty. I'm guessing a review site will do an article on this as well, this kind of stuff always gets some publicity, then the company fixes it.

There is a difference in the screenshots... but calling it a 'render error'? Come on. Your motives are questionable due to an enormous conflict of interest.

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
umm, call me crazy but the rocks in 8.10 look far better than the rocks in 8.9. Esp. the rock wall in the backround. If Amd is able to increase the level of detail and the level of performance with a driver increase that's awesome. I fail to see which direction the OP was taking this thread. I can only hope he was trying to commend AMD with the great new driver. Lets see what next month gives us.... hopefully even more performance!!

vj8usa

Dec 19, 2005
8.9 had some major issues for me; entire patches of textures in some areas would just be solid black. 8.10 fixed this.

450R

Feb 22, 2005
Originally posted by: lavaheadache
umm, call me crazy but the rocks in 8.10 look far better than the rocks in 8.9. Esp. the rock wall in the backround.

You're right. I didn't notice the image titles and naturally took the ugly shot to be 8.10, when in fact, 8.10 looks much better.

IlllI

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2002
IQ comparison

I was testing out Far Cry2 on a Radeon 4850, and found some there are definite differences in the new Cat 8.10s with the Far Cry 2 hotfix.

It looks to me like the speed increases might be coming at the expense of accuracy.

thank you for bringing this to our attention NVIDIA Focus Group member

legcramp

Golden Member
May 31, 2005
Are you sure the 8.9's screenies weren't taken with your 280 in SLI?

I apologize for saying this, but Rollo stfu lol.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000

Yep, they are different: based on your screenshots the 8.10 rocks have more accurate shadowing.

LMAO.

If you really think you're onto something why not show us a picture of how nVidia cards look and demonstrate to us where ATi is inferior?

Quiksilver

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2005
I don't know man...

The 8.10's look like they have higher IQ to me than the 8.9's. On top of that, if there really is a performance increase with the higher IQ then more power to ATI/AMD.

Personally, I would take this thread as a grain of salt considering you work for Nvidia.

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Originally posted by: vj8usa
8.9 had some major issues for me; entire patches of textures in some areas would just be solid black. 8.10 fixed this.

Yup. That is what I've had too. There were places where the texture were missing with Cat 8.9. It's fixed in 8.10 and by capping the frame rate to 25 fps, the game moves like a champ.

I have to say, I just don't see any difference whatsoever between those two screen shots nRollo posted. He should have taken the "stuttering issue" into a thread, if he wanted to show that ATI has problems with this game and that FarCry 2 really is "meant to be played" on Nvidia cards.

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: error8
Originally posted by: vj8usa

Yup. That is what I've had too. There were places where the texture were missing with Cat 8.9. It's fixed in 8.10 and by capping the frame rate to 25 fps, the game moves like a champ.

I have to say, I just don't see any difference whatsoever between those two screen shots nRollo posted. He should have taken the "stuttering issue" into a thread, if he wanted to show that ATI has problems with this game and that FarCry 2 really is "meant to be played" on Nvidia cards.

First, I had problems with missing textures in the Cat 8.9s, so I upgraded to the 8.10 hotfixes.

I didn't mention the stuttering or show NVIDIA screen shots because I'm not trying to turn this into "Look! NVIDIA renders the game more accuratrely!", I'm noting that it looks to me like some detail is lost on things like small rocks and tire tracks with the 8.10s.

The 8.10s did do better with the textures, but to me it seems like the early Crysis drivers with NVIDIA, some things are missing/rendered differently.

I'll post more screens today to back up my point. (have some ducks to shoot and soccer to watch now)

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: BFG10K

Yep, they are different: based on your screenshots the 8.10 rocks have more accurate shadowing.

LMAO.

If you really think you're onto something why not show us a picture of how nVidia cards look and demonstrate to us where ATi is inferior?

He can't,btw I know everytime I go back to ATI the image quality on ATI/AMD looks better :).

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
8.10 has better rocks in the background, better ground detail * where the grass is * Looks like an improvement to me, not rendering error's ...

zod96

Platinum Member
May 28, 2007
Are the 8.10 Hotfix drivers much different than the regular 8.10 drivers other than the far cry 2 fixes?

nismotigerwvu

Golden Member
May 13, 2004

/thread

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
IQ comparison

Before we begin, what are the performance differences between using Cat 8-9 and the hotfix drivers?

First of all, imo 8.9 shouldn't be used at all :p

Secondly, i am using Cat 8-10 and have great results so i didn't bother with the hotfix drivers

Thirdly, are you using any AF? There is some nasty cleaning up of vertical lines needed in that 8-10 pic; does it even work when forced in CP?

Finally, could you please send me your save so i can duplicate your pic? i AM doing a FC2 article - right this moment and will be glad to explore this issue.

To comment re: 280GTX - it is smoother than a single 4870/1GB but not as fast as a X2. Also there is the same texture crawling and AF issues in motion with Tesla as with Radeon, but the screen shots don't show it very well
rose.gif

vj8usa

Dec 19, 2005
First, I had problems with missing textures in the Cat 8.9s, so I upgraded to the 8.10 hotfixes.

I didn't mention the stuttering or show NVIDIA screen shots because I'm not trying to turn this into "Look! NVIDIA renders the game more accuratrely!", I'm noting that it looks to me like some detail is lost on things like small rocks and tire tracks with the 8.10s.

The 8.10s did do better with the textures, but to me it seems like the early Crysis drivers with NVIDIA, some things are missing/rendered differently.

I'll post more screens today to back up my point. (have some ducks to shoot and soccer to watch now)

I'd actually like to see a screenshot of that same scene on an nvidia rig, just for the sake of comparison. I'm curious now. If the rocks look the same with an nvidia card as they do with 8.10, does that mean (in your opinion) that nvidia cards have the same rendering error, and that 8.9's the only thing that's right? Or perhaps 8.10 was rendering it properly all along...

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: nismotigerwvu

/thread

Actually, I think this thread is just beginning.

I re-vamped my methodology.

1. Walked up to some rocks after they let me out of the first room, stopped, saved, did a screenshot.

2. Renamed the Far Cry executable to remove any game specific optomizations.

3. Loaded my save game running re-named executable, did a screen shot.

Rocks and textures are clearly missing, the Far Cry shot has the card doing less work.

Here's my link again, no doubt this time