Eric Garner all over again

Page 72 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I'm curious, what was Eric Garner? Michael Brown? Crawford? Castile? Gray? Rice? Sterling?

I guess that'll be enough to make the point.

They were all human beings. I hope that was your point.

But I know what you are implying...

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
They were all human beings. I hope that was your point.

But I know what you are implying...
Do you?

My point is that it's fairly arbitrary to be against "violent criminals" and for "innocent victims" because life is very rarely that black and white. It's a feel good like that's largely nonsense. There are a lot of shades of gray in the deaths of the men listed, except, of course, that they should not have been killed by those who are supposed to protect and serve.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Do you?

My point is that it's fairly arbitrary to be against "violent criminals" and for "innocent victims" because life is very rarely that black and white. It's a feel good like that's largely nonsense. There are a lot of shades of gray in the deaths of the men listed, except, of course, that they should not have been killed by those who are supposed to protect and serve.
You are fencing with a guy who rationalizes his Trump vote because of conservative judges, conservative judges that pr definition is about dividing people into have and have nots, take away abortion rights and rendering the lgbtq community a terrorist organization... “all human beings” yea right.

• Haha
Reactions: pcgeek11

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
I'm gonna go out on a limb, and say that you would not feel that way, were they breaking into your home.
I'm not really sure what you are trying to say. I would feel the same. I would not be happy that the police are being incentivized to shoot first.
My point is that, whatever state you are in, they are probably still using no-knock warrants, they are just not doing so with full knowledge that they are probably going to murder whoever is in the house.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I think you're right in the fact that there's little offshoots of the main denominations. You won't find catholics being considered evangelicals, as IIRC evangelicals basically started with protestant faith. Also iirc, protestants and catholics hated each and fought in the UK/Ireland areas for centuries. It's part of the whole free practice of religion thing we have.

I dont think catholics are considered born again. They require confession thru a priest. Born again believers believe they have a direct path of god since jesus died for their sins.

yeah, I think that's pretty much true re: born agains and Catholics. ....and kinda explains why wackos among them that claimed to speak directly to God, e.g. Jean d'Arc, were almost always burned at the stake eventually.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
yeah, I think that's pretty much true re: born agains and Catholics. ....and kinda explains why wackos among them that claimed to speak directly to God, e.g. Jean d'Arc, were almost always burned at the stake eventually.
Joan got torched because she didn’t come from an aristocratic family. The English fully expected the French to ransom her. Even after saving their bacon, to the French lords, she was just another peasant. The French Revolution was a few centuries overdue.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
I'm not really sure what you are trying to say. I would feel the same. I would not be happy that the police are being incentivized to shoot first.
My point is that, whatever state you are in, they are probably still using no-knock warrants, they are just not doing so with full knowledge that they are probably going to murder whoever is in the house.
While no-knocks are still technically legal, I'm not aware of any departments still attempting to use them, since it is a death warrant for at least the first, if not the first two or three officers through the door, assuming the resident owns a firearm of any type sufficient size and with enough rounds available, and is a decent shot with it. IOW, I can assure you that the people the Lieutenant or Captain asks to go commit suicide for him will decline doing so.

edit: I just realized I had missed the last portion of the last line of your post*. I live in Texas, and unless the law has changed very fairly recently (within the last couple of years), it is a felony to use any type of weapon, while burgling a home. Since the state supreme court has already ruled that it is not legal for anyone, including law enforcement, to enter a home without being either invited in, or having given the resident reasonable time to answer the door, that would apply to law enforcement as well. Hmm, I never actually checked again, after that ruling came down. That would make no-knocks illegal to even attempt. Thanks for mentioning it.

*Not missed, forgotten. I have a horrible short-term memory.

Last edited:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
We are catching hell from everywhere. Black female officer stopped an illegal choke hold. What happened, they fired her. Police departments don't have much ground to bitch about the current backlash

Reactions: KMFJD

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
We are catching hell from everywhere. Black female officer stopped an illegal choke hold. What happened, they fired her. Police departments don't have much ground to bitch about the current backlash

When did that happen? Recently?

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
When did that happen? Recently?

Like 15 years ago, hilariously like half of the same damn department just walked off the job in protest of fellow cops in the department getting in trouble for knocking down an old ass man for no reason what so ever. And for the black female cop who got fired for reporting the brutality, not a single cop stood up in her defense. She was clearly in the right and shouldn't have been fired. Why didn't her fellow cops walk off the job in protest of her firing? She should have knocked down an old man and gave him brain damage, then maybe they would have gave a shit about helping her keep her job.

And in the LAPD there was Christopher Doner reporting similar brutality from his partner. They thanked him by firing him, he went through every means he could to try and get his job back. After that was unsuccessful and he ran out of things to try he went postal against the LAPD and vowed to start murdering cops. Which he did, his story's sad, I mean yes he turned into a monster and killed like 3 random officers. But imagine doing your job the best you can, you see bullshit happen, report it and get fired.

Reactions: zinfamous

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Well CO just ended qualified immunity among other reforms they are implementing. Wow.

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/06/19/colorado-police-reform-accountability-bill/

The bill proposed to end qualified immunity for law enforcement officers — which effectively has shielded them from personal liability for their professional actions — and to require prompter release of body-worn camera footage. The final version also bans chokeholds and carotid holds; introduces potential criminal charges for officers who fail to try to stop colleagues from using excessive force; creates a public database of officers who have been decertified, fired, found to be untruthful or in violation of training standards; and significantly increases citizen protections from police tear gas and projectiles.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
It is as if there HAVE to be a "Village Slow". Is it mandated by the algorithm that governs reality? Like an equation balancing itself? Seems so.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
"There was a firefighter at the scene saying, you know, 'check him, check him'. The light should have went (sic) off to do that, but we're not going to pass judgment," Kroll said. "The justice system is going to prevail

Actually I have a feeling the justice system will mot prevail.......the only way a justice system can prevail for a Police Union is for the Cop to be acquitted.....

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
It is as if there HAVE to be a "Village Slow". Is it mandated by the algorithm that governs reality? Like an equation balancing itself? Seems so.

I learned from anime that when the laziest ant die in a colony, another ant becomes lazy in its place. This might apply here.

Reactions: cytg111

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Look who found someone on you tube telling them what they wanted to hear.

took 'em a while too, eh?

OH! that video was just posted today! what a coincidence! It's like this common obvious knowledge was so common, but it really just took today's video to speak for that person in order to express what they suddenly-I mean always! thought!

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Wow, so some dumb ass co-ops an internet meme name and you think those who use that name are the boogie man.

Thats the saddest right wing selfshittery I’ve seen since I last looked up potus twitter.
You cant for a second be absorbing all that bullshit? Please?

Reactions: JEDIYoda

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

I'm picky about police reform measures in terms of which ones I think work and which do not. I support the "Cariol's law" reform she is pushing. Officers need to get in serious trouble for not intervening to stop illegal behavior on the part of other officers or at least, if a non-violent offense, reporting them for it. They also need protection from retaliation when they do come forward.

Anything which strengthens accountability of police is the key to reform. You can give them bias training 5 days a week and it won't change a thing. But make them think they're going to get into serious trouble for breaking the law and things will change.