Eric Garner all over again

Page 71 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
So Trump is giving an event at the WH presently where he's signing an EO that supposedly encourages police reform but has decided to use the occasion to propose calling out the National Guard more to put down now non-existent looting, riots, etc.

Also the EO is totally unenforceable and even then has been set at a subjective standard that could be easily interpreted as trolling:

Nov 8, 2012
Does a good job of showing the virtue signaling the Democratic party.

Rename a street as Black Lives Matter and stamp it in big letters on the street? YEAH SURE! One time cost, no biggie, people think I care about them...

But.... about that police budget.... Yeaaaaaah, lets ramp that up. Gotta love this shit.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
So two more of the law enforcement deaths during the “riots” early on have been solved. Just like in Vegas it was far right extremists. A member of the boogaloo movement was arrested by the feds for the killing of two federal officers on the night of May 29th in Santa Clara California.

That now makes the far right the majority of the arrests for murder/attempted murder of cops during the “riots”. Goes to show who actually got the riots and looting started.

Reactions: skyking

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
So two more of the law enforcement deaths during the “riots” early on have been solved. Just like in Vegas it was far right extremists. A member of the boogaloo movement was arrested by the feds for the killing of two federal officers on the night of May 29th in Santa Clara California.

That now makes the far right the majority of the arrests for murder/attempted murder of cops during the “riots”. Goes to show who actually got the riots and looting started.

Yet I'm sure the right's "antifa" narrative will continue unabated here.

Reactions: zinfamous

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
So Trump is giving an event at the WH presently where he's signing an EO that supposedly encourages police reform but has decided to use the occasion to propose calling out the National Guard more to put down now non-existent looting, riots, etc.

Also the EO is totally unenforceable and even then has been set at a subjective standard that could be easily interpreted as trolling:

The "except when the officer's life is at risk" is a loophole large enough to drive a truck through. Police have other less lethal methods of subduing or restraining someone without cutting off their air passage.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
I wouldn't bash a Republican for doing the right thing.
Luckily for you, you almost never have to do so.;)
And people wonder why some folks are calling for the cops to be fucking disbanded.

Why should I fear the police more than ne'er-do-wells?
Wow, you might want to move to a state where that isn't possible. IOW, one where the state constitution is on the side of the citizen, not law enforcement. For instance, in the state where I live, the state constitution gives the citizen the right to use any force, up to and including deadly force, against any person, no matter for whom they work, that comes into their home against their will. And yes, that particular case has already gone all the way to the state supreme court, when the police kicked in a door illegally (without giving the resident ample time to answer the door, IOW), and the resident removed said officer from the payroll of said department, against that officer's will, with a firearm. The state supreme court sided with the citizen, of course, since the state constitution leaves no room for error in its meaning.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Luckily for you, you almost never have to do so.;)

Wow, you might want to move to a state where that isn't possible. IOW, one where the state constitution is on the side of the citizen, not law enforcement. For instance, in the state where I live, the state constitution gives the citizen the right to use any force, up to and including deadly force, against any person, no matter for whom they work, that comes into their home against their will. And yes, that particular case has already gone all the way to the state supreme court, when the police kicked in a door illegally (without giving the resident ample time to answer the door, IOW), and the resident removed said officer from the payroll of said department, against that officer's will, with a firearm. The state supreme court sided with the citizen, of course, since the state constitution leaves no room for error in its meaning.

So, in your state 'no-knock' warrents are basically who shoots first? That does not sound better.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I'm not sure what you mean. Born again Christians, imxp, encompass almost all Christian denominations. It involves giving up your life to live for Christ, often involving rituals such as baptism. There's variations, but all TMK involve some kinda of spiritual renewal while discarding your sinful life. Which, since adam and eve ate the fruit from the tree, is a sinful life just because you were born. Evangelicals are considered "born again" denominations at 100%.

I don't feel like googling this stuff, it's just from my upbringing.

the way I understand it is that "a born again" can essentially be of any denomination, or none, really. Though I think they gravitate towards the non-denominational (which pretty much fall under the "Evangelical" umbrella?) because they tend to be the craziest, and having often come from the sewers of life, tend to have to invent some crazy theology to justify their new christly lives that suddenly makes sense to them--but only as a contrast to the darkest parts of their lives (see: that dude in the thread...with the tent).

I don't think evangelicals are all born again; I think the primary defining term for evangelical is that they are mission-bound: evangelism, and it is a catch-all term that covers all of the non-denominational congregations. I mean, so much of those congregations are singular, often controlled by one individual (basically a bunch of cults), which is why they almost exclusively represent the megachurch population in this country.

When I think of Evangelical, I think not-Methodist, Baptist, Lutheran, Protestant, The Catholic and Catholic-light branches, etc. ...but you can get born-agains in all of those denominations and the evangelicals, afaik. :\

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Does a good job of showing the virtue signaling the Democratic party.

Rename a street as Black Lives Matter and stamp it in big letters on the street? YEAH SURE! One time cost, no biggie, people think I care about them...

But.... about that police budget.... Yeaaaaaah, lets ramp that up. Gotta love this shit.

What in gods name is that?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
IIRC not all denominations call it that. Catholics come to mind. Their more ritualistic with their beliefs. When I hear the term born again, I typically think of evangelicals, "holy rollers", singing and dancing in the aisles, speaking in tongues, etc...

well, speaking in tongues is very specific to the Pentecostal branches (yes, the snake handlers are a branch of pentecostals). Faith healing (though it seems that has filtered out to the more public evangelical churches?)

....I guess Pentecostals could fall under evangelicals, but I believe those denominations kinda predate that term that, as I understand, was coined to capture a bunch of unclassified "people of faith" that just wanted to do their own thing. These are people that hang out in churches like "Eagle's Nest Assembly of God" or "Winding River Faith chapel" or all of those independent groups with one-off names.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
So they are going to move officers away from units that target Violent Crimes.
o_O

I'm thinking that I want police targeting violent criminals specifically. Doesn't it also stand to reason that when going after Violent Criminals that more shooting would happen as opposed to non violent criminals.

I have a feeling that violent crimes will be on the increase shortly in NY City.

Do you think LEOs without uniforms and markings should ever be a thing?

That's the question you should be getting from this announcement, and it's weird that you don't.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

still no actual "antifa," right? I've yet to see any arrests of "antifa" members.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
still no actual "antifa," right? I've yet to see any arrests of "antifa" members.

We have yet to see anyone killed by anyone taking the label "antifa" in all of our history IIRC. This is the "group" that Trump labelled a "terrorist organization."

Conservatives say they are quaking in their boots over this "antifa." Quaking in their boots! But the 100 or so people killed every year by neo-nazis, white supremacists, sovreign citizens, and paramilitary militia types? They're totally placid about that. Hmm.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Yet another example of fine police officers. Both should be put on two weeks unpaid admin leave and busted down a position or two(including pay).

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
What in gods name is that?

I always get a kick outta his crying about virtue signaling. Its a rather new term, but something conservatives have been engaged in since they've been around. Kinda like the identity politics thing. Sure, D's do it, but it's not their entire platform like it is for the R's

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
the way I understand it is that "a born again" can essentially be of any denomination, or none, really. Though I think they gravitate towards the non-denominational (which pretty much fall under the "Evangelical" umbrella?) because they tend to be the craziest, and having often come from the sewers of life, tend to have to invent some crazy theology to justify their new christly lives that suddenly makes sense to them--but only as a contrast to the darkest parts of their lives (see: that dude in the thread...with the tent).

I don't think evangelicals are all born again; I think the primary defining term for evangelical is that they are mission-bound: evangelism, and it is a catch-all term that covers all of the non-denominational congregations. I mean, so much of those congregations are singular, often controlled by one individual (basically a bunch of cults), which is why they almost exclusively represent the megachurch population in this country.

When I think of Evangelical, I think not-Methodist, Baptist, Lutheran, Protestant, The Catholic and Catholic-light branches, etc. ...but you can get born-agains in all of those denominations and the evangelicals, afaik. :\
well, speaking in tongues is very specific to the Pentecostal branches (yes, the snake handlers are a branch of pentecostals). Faith healing (though it seems that has filtered out to the more public evangelical churches?)

....I guess Pentecostals could fall under evangelicals, but I believe those denominations kinda predate that term that, as I understand, was coined to capture a bunch of unclassified "people of faith" that just wanted to do their own thing. These are people that hang out in churches like "Eagle's Nest Assembly of God" or "Winding River Faith chapel" or all of those independent groups with one-off names.

I think you're right in the fact that there's little offshoots of the main denominations. You won't find catholics being considered evangelicals, as IIRC evangelicals basically started with protestant faith. Also iirc, protestants and catholics hated each and fought in the UK/Ireland areas for centuries. It's part of the whole free practice of religion thing we have.

I dont think catholics are considered born again. They require confession thru a priest. Born again believers believe they have a direct path of god since jesus died for their sins.