Eric Garner all over again

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Four cops fired over the death. Shit hitting the fan pretty quickly

While the firing is good ("this is the right call"), it needs to be more than just a firing. Were they not cops, it would be manslaughter or murder (might still be the former depending on the DA) and I expect/hope the family pursues a wrongful death lawsuit.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
I think this an important topic and was about to make a thread for it because couldnt find anything posted on it. Until I saw the more descriptively titled thread that was locked: Black man dies during arrest due to respiratory failure from knee to the neck

So was wondering who the hell Eric Garner was until I was led to this thread from the other locked one. Ok, now I recall that incident, but it was from 6 years ago and I'm sure a generic name like Eric Garner may not stick into peoples minds forever. Not to mention those who never heard of the incident or of Eric Garner. Therefore suggest to mods to fix the title to something more descriptive (like the locked threads title). Thanks.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
There is going to come a time when cops are fair game just like it seems that black people are fair game for cops.....you know...sad but true -- what goes around.....

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
The other officers are just as guilty for not intervening and stopping their colleague from killing the guy. Bystanders understood what was happening and kept telling him to stop, but the officers did nothing.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
If someone set out for a career as an LEO and find that the job is too frustrating and your anger starts to affect how your performing your job then just fucking quit. These assholes got mad at this guy so in effect they murdered him, I hope they face murder 1 charges over this. At least the Mayor and PD chief look to be moving swiftly on this as they need to and should.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Suspect was restrained in handcuffs and clearly not resisting for the last 3 minutes. That was a painful watch.
But of course the self-proclaimed "freedom, small govt, and the Constitution" crowd are cheering that govt agents extrajudicially murdered another private citizen. Gee, I wonder why...

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Suspect was restrained in handcuffs and clearly not resisting for the last 3 minutes. That was a painful watch.
But of course the self-proclaimed "freedom, small govt, and the Constitution" crowd are cheering that govt agents extrajudicially murdered another private citizen. Gee, I wonder why...

Not really, I haven't seen anybody defend this. Kneeling on an unconscious man's neck for a full four minutes while the crowd literally BEGS you to take his pulse, insane. I think that those four minutes could be mean the difference between a manslaughter charge and a murder charge.

In any event, I believe all four officers will be charged and do time. Perhaps the worst policing on film I have ever seen. Nobody will defend the cops in this incident and nobody should. This may be one of those rare events that almost all Americans agree on.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Not really, I haven't seen anybody defend this. Kneeling on an unconscious man's neck for a full four minutes while the crowd literally BEGS you to take his pulse, insane. I think that those four minutes could be mean the difference between a manslaughter charge and a murder charge.

In any event, I believe all four officers will be charged and do time. Perhaps the worst policing on film I have ever seen. Nobody will defend the cops in this incident and nobody should. This may be one of those rare events that almost all Americans agree on.

This should be one of those rare events, but go look at the comments section in the OP's article and tell us again how no one is defending this.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015

I'd give the cops a 50% chance of acquittal. It's all up to the jury of "peers".

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
The man doing the kneeling should be fit for execution.
The accomplices should be given years in prison.

That he's a cop and his job and duty is conflict. Fine, life in prison for that special consideration.

I do not want to see anything less.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I dare anyone to have themselves choked with the possibility of dying and not resist. The training cops get is obviously shit.

Reactions: zinfamous

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
I'm guessing there will be some prosecutorial hanky panky and this guy will walk. I just have no faith that there can be justice when a cop is involve unless the cop wronged another cop.

After watching the whole Kelly Thomas fiasco, I am in awe of how the system will work to protect evil cops.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I think this an important topic and was about to make a thread for it because couldnt find anything posted on it. Until I saw the more descriptively titled thread that was locked: Black man dies during arrest due to respiratory failure from knee to the neck

So was wondering who the hell Eric Garner was until I was led to this thread from the other locked one. Ok, now I recall that incident, but it was from 6 years ago and I'm sure a generic name like Eric Garner may not stick into peoples minds forever. Not to mention those who never heard of the incident or of Eric Garner. Therefore suggest to mods to fix the title to something more descriptive (like the locked threads title). Thanks.
Believe me most black people know the name Eric Garner. We know the same phrase "I can't breathe". We know nothing has been learned since Eric Garner.

This case is even more similar to Eric Garner then Ahmed Arbery is to Trayvon Martin

ecogen

Golden Member
Dec 24, 2016
The sad part is that you can't do shit as a civilian to try and prevent this shit from happening in front of your eyes. Trying to interfere might get you killed.

ElMonoDelMar

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2004
The sad part is that you can't do shit as a civilian to try and prevent this shit from happening in front of your eyes. Trying to interfere might get you killed.

Yup, the pigs even have a carve out saying that you cannot use force against them for any reason. Not sure how well that would hold up in court.

Honestly, I'd like to see these neighborhoods surround the police and ask them nicely to not kill the person. If they decline, then it looks like a cut and dry case of self defense to use reasonable force, up to and including deadly force, to get the pigs to stop their murder in progress.