Does OfficeMax have a problem with shop lifting or something?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Medicine Bear
Originally posted by: Nik
No, but I do expect you to be a dick in every thread you post in.

I'd call this a role reversal. Ya like those unsolicited personal attacks, don't ya.
Trust me, you deserve it.

oh wow, this changes everything. :roll:

Don't you have, like, pimples to pop or something?
Haven't had a pimple since I was in my mid 20's. Until I met you of course.

Well that's good to hear. I guess I have to be the better man and set the example for those less mature than I am by walking away from this.

hypn0tik

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2005
Originally posted by: hypn0tik
Agreed. He was in a place where he wasn't supposed to be unsupervised. That's not the case with Office Max.

Well you're obviously not *trying* to make a correlation between the two. My point was directed at those who would *try* to make it look like they were stealing. You try to make it look like you're stealing just to piss of the folks who are making it obvious that they're watching for theft, expect those folks to fvck with you right back. You do something stupid, you receive negative consequences.

Based on your first post in this thread, it doesn't appear that way.

How are they treating you like a criminal? Do they actually impede your business? Do they stop you and question you? Frisk you? Do they check your receipt against everything in the bags you're carrying out?

How is them watching you while you're on their property and reporting your actions to someone else treating you like a criminal?

The rest of your posts don't seem to indicate that either. Basically you agree that OM is in the right and should continue treating their customers like criminals.

Whatever happened to the concept of 'innocent until proven guilty'? It would be better for them to invest in some security cameras (if they don't have them already).

phantom309

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2002
I've noticed that too. I also get three or four salespeople asking to help me find something in the first 30 seconds everytime I go there. It's annoying and somewhat creepy. And I'm a white middle-aged male in boring corporate clothes.

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001

How are they treating you like a criminal? Do they actually impede your business? Do they stop you and question you? Frisk you? Do they check your receipt against everything in the bags you're carrying out?

How is them watching you while you're on their property and reporting your actions to someone else treating you like a criminal?

The rest of your posts don't seem to indicate that either. Basically you agree that OM is in the right and should continue treating their customers like criminals.

Whatever happened to the concept of 'innocent until proven guilty'? It would be better for them to invest in some security cameras (if they don't have them already).

its hard to stick with an argument when its not logical. ;) you hit the nail right on the head.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000

Right, because I was quoting my original post :confused:

You're putting words in my mouth. When did I say that OM is in the right and should continue to treat their customers like criminals? When did OM actually treat customers like criminals either? That question still hasn't been answered yet.

The entire idea of "innocent until proven guilty" does not mean that you're completely ignored until someone magically stumbles upon proof that you're a criminal. If that were the case, we wouldn't have anyone performing security anywhere. We'd just have to wait until someone goes "oh, hey, I just happened to find a picture here of this guy shoplifting! I don't know how I got it, but since he's no longer innocent, we can start watching him, following him around, and protecting our assets!"

Silly.

Anyway, OM needs to protect their assets just like anyone else does. How they do it is up to them. Who cares if some guy with a headset is reporting your movements to someone else in the store? WHAT THE HELL DOES IT MATTER? You realize that when you use an ATM, you're being monitored or recorded on video, right? HOLY HELL THEY'RE TREATING YOU LIKE A CRIMINAL!!

oh wait, they're not. :roll: They're just making standard observations very very obvious. Big freakin farkin deal.

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001

You're putting words in my mouth. When did I say that OM is in the right and should continue to treat their customers like criminals? When did OM actually treat customers like criminals either? That question still hasn't been answered yet.

The entire idea of "innocent until proven guilty" does not mean that you're completely ignored until someone magically stumbles upon proof that you're a criminal. If that were the case, we wouldn't have anyone performing security anywhere. We'd just have to wait until someone goes "oh, hey, I just happened to find a picture here of this guy shoplifting! I don't know how I got it, but since he's no longer innocent, we can start watching him, following him around, and protecting our assets!"

Silly.

Anyway, OM needs to protect their assets just like anyone else does. How they do it is up to them. Who cares if some guy with a headset is reporting your movements to someone else in the store? WHAT THE HELL DOES IT MATTER? You realize that when you use an ATM, you're being monitored or recorded on video, right? HOLY HELL THEY'RE TREATING YOU LIKE A CRIMINAL!!

oh wait, they're not. :roll: They're just making standard observations very very obvious. Big freakin farkin deal.

once again, your argument doesn't make any sense. no one is complaining about cameras or being watched. did you even read this thread?

here's a new word for you Nik, since you apparently don't know it:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=intrusive

hypn0tik

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2005

Silly.

"Watch him, don't take any chances" seems to suggest that they believe you will steal hence treating you like a criminal.

Yes, they need to protect their assets and have loss prevention methods in place. That is precisely why security cameras exist. You know they are watching you, but it's more civilized and less incriminating than what OM is doing.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Hammer

Silly.

once again, your argument doesn't make any sense. no one is complaining about cameras or being watched. did you even read this thread?

How is someone standing at the front of the store to report your actions any different than a video cam watching you as you come in? How is it any different than someone sitting in an office in the back with a bajillion monitors linked to cams all over the store, following one person around from monitor to monitor as they move through out the store?

Is the difference that the customer just can't see the guy in the office?

Please educate me about the difference between the two, Hammer.

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001

Silly.

How is someone standing at the front of the store to report your actions any different than a video cam watching you as you come in? How is it any different than someone sitting in an office in the back with a bajillion monitors linked to cams all over the store, following one person around from monitor to monitor as they move through out the store?

Is the difference that the customer just can't see the guy in the office?

Please educate me about the difference between the two, Hammer.

i thought i did. let me try one more time.
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=unintrusive
clear enough for you? :laugh:

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
"Watch him, don't take any chances" seems to suggest that they believe you will steal hence treating you like a criminal.

Yes, they need to protect their assets and have loss prevention methods in place. That is precisely why security cameras exist. You know they are watching you, but it's more civilized and less incriminating than what OM is doing.

Civilized or not, you're not being treated like a criminal since criminals get arrested, prosecuted, and have to serve a debt to society. Again, how is OM treating their customers like criminals? Don't get me wrong, though. OM should have a lot more tact. They should be employing video feeds to an office where someone can monitor the whole store rather than pay several times the number of people to do that job instead of providing customer service on the sales floor.

But jesus... get a grip here, people. What OM's doing really isn't a big deal.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000

So you're telling me that some guy with a headset standing at the front of the store calling your actions to someone else actually impedes your shopping abilities? Was the guy so fat that you couldn't squeeze through the door to enter or exit the building? Did he follow you around and forbid you from picking up product to review and consider the purchase of? What the fvck is the big goddamn deal? How the hell is that guy going to impede you? How did he interfere?

Do you have, like, performance anxiety or something? You can't shop if someone's watching you?

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001

Civilized or not, you're not being treated like a criminal since criminals get arrested, prosecuted, and have to serve a debt to society. Again, how is OM treating their customers like criminals? Don't get me wrong, though. OM should have a lot more tact. They should be employing video feeds to an office where someone can monitor the whole store rather than pay several times the number of people to do that job instead of providing customer service on the sales floor.

But jesus... get a grip here, people. What OM's doing really isn't a big deal.

OM is going above and beyond what most people consider the "norm". as has been said, if its gotten to the point where you can hear them talking, it's too much. it's gone from just routine security to being intrusive. they should stick with cameras and alarms.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Try a little experiment. Everyone have a friend follow you around giving an audible play-by-play of your activites. Let us know if that's annoying or not.

Medicine Bear

Banned
Feb 28, 2005

So you're telling me that some guy with a headset standing at the front of the store calling your actions to someone else actually impedes your shopping abilities? Was the guy so fat that you couldn't squeeze through the door to enter or exit the building? Did he follow you around and forbid you from picking up product to review and consider the purchase of? What the fvck is the big goddamn deal? How the hell is that guy going to impede you? How did he interfere?

Do you have, like, performance anxiety or something? You can't shop if someone's watching you?

<<<<<--The Point-->>>>>

O - Nik's head

blakeatwork

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Originally posted by: NFS4
Is that why they have G-Men stalking their customers as they walk through the door??

They have their little headsets on and report on EVERYTHING we do. I walk in and the guy is looking all devious as he's talking into his mic an explaining to everyone else that "We've got one coming, heading towards back of the store."

All of them are like that. There was an Indian fella looking at the cameras and I overheard one of them say "Watch him, don't take any chances." WTF, the things are bolted to the showcase.

And it's not just one OfficeMax, they all have this sorta big brother thing going on.

Are you serious???

christ....

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
OM is going above and beyond what most people consider the "norm". as has been said, if its gotten to the point where you can hear them talking, it's too much. it's gone from just routine security to being intrusive. they should stick with cameras and alarms.

Quite possibly annoying, but you fail to explain how some fatso standing at the front of the store with a headset and not whispering ultra-quiet so that folks 1 foot away cannot hear him is somehow intrusive.

Originally posted by: Jzero
Try a little experiment. Everyone have a friend follow you around giving an audible play-by-play of your activites. Let us know if that's annoying or not.

Of course it's annoying. However, how is that "intrusive" or "treating you like a criminal"?

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001

like i said, you haven't read the thread. you obviously don't mind being treated like a crook, and that's fine. i don't shop at places that have this kind of service. OM has plenty of competition.

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001

Of course it's annoying. However, how is that "intrusive" or "treating you like a criminal"?

adj 1: tending to intrude (especially upon privacy); "she felt her presence there was intrusive" [ant: unintrusive]

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Annoying and intrusive go hand-in-hand.

As for treating you like a criminal, if you want to get caught up in semantics, call it treating you like a POTENTIAL criminal. They have the choice of treating you as a potential repeat customer or a potential criminal, and they choose the latter. Not great customer service. You can mitigate risk without making your customers feel uncomfortable.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
like i said, you haven't read the thread. you obviously don't mind being treated like a crook, and that's fine. i don't shop at places that have this kind of service. OM has plenty of competition.

What made you come to the conclusion that I have not read the thread? Whatever it is, your evidences have brought you to an incorrect conclusion because I actually have read the thread.

Anyway, I do dislike being treated like a criminal. I keep asking for a valid explanation of how this is treating customers like criminals, but nobody can seem to give me an answer that proves as much.

"They're treating us like criminals!"
"How?"
"Yes, but how so? What are they doing to you that should be reserved for criminals?"
"THEY'RE TREATING US LIKE CRIMINALS YOU MORON!"

:roll:

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000

adj 1: tending to intrude (especially upon privacy); "she felt her presence there was intrusive" [ant: unintrusive]

Privacy? Would you rather go shopping while invisible so that what stores you go to and where you go in the store be kept a big secret or something? For fvck's sake, people.

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001

What made you come to the conclusion that I have not read the thread? Whatever it is, your evidences have brought you to an incorrect conclusion because I actually have read the thread.

Anyway, I do dislike being treated like a criminal. I keep asking for a valid explanation of how this is treating customers like criminals, but nobody can seem to give me an answer that proves as much.

"How?"
"Yes, but how so? What are they doing to you that should be reserved for criminals?"
"THEY'RE TREATING US LIKE CRIMINALS YOU MORON!"

:roll:

it's been mentioned several times, that's why we all think you haven't read the thread:

-follow you around
-comment on your movement loud enough for you to hear
-comment on the products you are handling
-give specific instruction to watch around certain products

how's that?