CNN is reporting that North Korea has tested a Nuke

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
Originally posted by: BrownTown
people give China too much credit when it comes to manipulating global politics. IF you think they are happy that North Korea has nukes then very mistaken.

Maybe. But the DPRK would collapse within months without China's aid. The truth is that we probably have very little good information on the true extent of 'collaboration' between the DPRK and China on this issue.

Sure, China doesn't want the DPRK to have nukes. But I wouldn't be surprised if they toyed around with the appearance of nukes.
One theory on China and NK is that NK acts as a buffer to keep the people of China from trying to ?escape? into a free South Korea. Who in their right mind would leave China for North Korea? But if the South took over the North then China would have a working Democracy with a high level of freedom and very strong and powerful economy right on its border. And that might spell bad news for China. They might have to extend the ?great wall? some huh?

Korea has 15th largest GDP in world while Chinas is 2nd.
But by ?per capita? S Korea is 50 and China is 117 with less than a third per person. That is a HUGE quality of life increase.

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
well cr@p, i gotta go to sleep, hopefully there will be a coherent response when I wake up. I'm sure the UN will condemn this and all, but lets see if it gets past words and some new sanctions.

n19htmare

Jan 12, 2005
so while we got our heads up our asses trying to go after Iran, we got NK over there testing nukes. But hey..... who cares, what's NK got to offer us?

and this just in..... Kim is no longer ronnnnrryyyy

BuckNaked

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
It will be interesting to see how the world reacts to this over the coming days... I read that the S. Korean market is down 3% already.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The good news is: Now we know for sure.

Bad news: Now we got a regime with Nukes who would actually supply them to Terrorists.

fitzov

Platinum Member
Jan 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Termagant
Just switched to Fox News and they were already spinning it into a Clinton bash. I'll paraphrase:

"Many on the left may say this is another case where Bush dropped the ball. But but but if you look back to Clinton he actually gave North Korea a nuclear reactor."

Never mind that the two reacters were never even built, and were to be light water reacters which are completely incapable of being used to build nuclear weapons in any way.

The GOP needs to scrape up as many clueless undecided voters as they can.

catnap1972

Platinum Member
Aug 10, 2000
Originally posted by: fitzov
Just switched to Fox News and they were already spinning it into a Clinton bash. I'll paraphrase:

"Many on the left may say this is another case where Bush dropped the ball. But but but if you look back to Clinton he actually gave North Korea a nuclear reactor."

Never mind that the two reacters were never even built, and were to be light water reacters which are completely incapable of being used to build nuclear weapons in any way.

And to get Foley off the front page. There's probably high-fives all around over at Fauxnews (as well as Drudge, Crushed-Limpballs, Insanity, etc.) today.

Forsythe

Platinum Member
May 2, 2004
Originally posted by: sandorski

Bad news: Now we got a regime with Nukes who would actually supply them to Terrorists.

I seriously doubt they'd provide them to terrorists. Atleast on a governmental level.

What would be more likely would be if some rogue got hold of one and wanted to sell it to terrorists.
This is where the closed system of north korea actually might be good. Besides, he has nothing to use money for in NK.

Forsythe

Platinum Member
May 2, 2004
Originally posted by: fitzov

I still can't believe a blatantly propagandic system like that can exist in what i'd be tempted to call a modern country.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Forsythe
Originally posted by: sandorski

I seriously doubt they'd provide them to terrorists. Atleast on a governmental level.

What would be more likely would be if some rogue got hold of one and wanted to sell it to terrorists.
This is where the closed system of north korea actually might be good. Besides, he has nothing to use money for in NK.

I hope you're right.

firewall

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Lemon law
Something I will never understand.

Saddam denied having WMD even allowed inspectors in--and finally GWB invades and finds out its true--Saddam had no WMD.

At the same time North Korea is jumping up and down claiming we got nukes--we got nukes---and GWB basically ignores N. Korea and refused to talk with them one on one.

Go figure that one out---it baffles me.

I have been wondering about this myself.

firewall

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2001
Originally posted by: judasmachine
one quick look through this thread leads me to believe there won't be a shortage of volunteers in the army...........

:laugh:

PELarson

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2001
Originally posted by: totalcommand
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Originally posted by: totalcommand
Originally posted by: zephyrprime
I just heard that's it's been confirmed by drudge on the radio. It's pretty easy to confirm these things seismically.

The reason why diplomacy hasn't worked and won't work on these nuclear issues is because these countries don't want money or food or trade. They want nuclear weapons. Dimplomacy is just a delaying tactic for North Korea and Iran.

it's too bad we invaded Iraq instead. now we have nothing left for either of those countries.
As I pointed out in another thread we have about 150,000 troops in Iraq. That leaves between 400,000 and 600,000 troops NOT in Iraq. In Japan and Korea alone there are around 100,000 troops and another 40,000 or so in Germany.

(troops=all military, not just ground fighters, since those figures are much harder to find)

BTW: we could 4-5 carrier groups and ALL of heavy bombers over NK in a matter of days and it would not hurt things in Iraq at all.

Let's talk about North Korea, and not complain about Iraq and such.

We don't simply shuffle all our troops to one area. We have many interests all around the world. We do NOT have the capability to conduct a full scale war on 3 fronts. North Korea is a hell of a lot more dug in than Saddam was. It will not be easy at all.

<sarcasm>Why sure we do. We also ignore the weather in North Korea. How bad could it be. Isn't all of Asia tropicalal?</sarcasm>

PELarson

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2001
Originally posted by: firewall

Saddam denied having WMD even allowed inspectors in--and finally GWB invades and finds out its true--Saddam had no WMD.

At the same time North Korea is jumping up and down claiming we got nukes--we got nukes---and GWB basically ignores N. Korea and refused to talk with them one on one.

To quote and probably pre-quote the administrations usual response <BIG SHRUG>Who knew?</BIG SHRUG>

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Please enlighten me on the issue. I not to familure with what N. Korea has been doing for the last couple of years. Why is the United States so concerned when another country test a nuclear missle. I mean as long as it's done in a controlled fashion and there are safetys in place what is wrong exactly????

firewall

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2001
Originally posted by: PELarson
Originally posted by: firewall

To quote and probably pre-quote the administrations usual response <BIG SHRUG>Who knew?</BIG SHRUG>

Well, if they didn't know, somebody should ask them what they are doing in the administration.

catnap1972

Platinum Member
Aug 10, 2000
Originally posted by: steppinthrax
Please enlighten me on the issue. I not to familure with what N. Korea has been doing for the last couple of years. Why is the United States so concerned when another country test a nuclear missle. I mean as long as it's done in a controlled fashion and there are safetys in place what is wrong exactly????

Because the world doesn't need any more terrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrists--there's more than enough in the WH to tide the world over.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: jrenz
Korean news headlines... "NUCLEAR LAUNCH DETECTED"

Looks like N Korea rushed.

Yeah, NK teched up a lot faster than we expected :(

Aug 1, 2006
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda
So much for the UN putting there foot down!! lol

Bush forces NK to do it and then the UN has to fix it? This is another Bush blunder. AXISS OF EEEEVEEEEELLLL..... THE U.S. WILL ATTACK YOU!
North Korea: Well, we'd better get hot on completing a bomb or the U.S. is gonna attack us too.
How could they not get that message? How would you have interpreted Bush's threats? As olive branches?

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: BrownTown
people give China too much credit when it comes to manipulating global politics. IF you think they are happy that North Korea has nukes then very mistaken.

China would rather have NK developing nukes, or even better credibly saying they are, true. Japan will respond with a program of their own and that would be their greatest concern. Happy isn't the right word. Satsified I think is better.

As far as the Chinese influencing global politics, in one sense you are right. They have no desire to influence South American govts, but it DOES wish to do so in east Asia, indonesia and it's environs. If you think they haven't the ability to do this, check your underwear or knick knacks or whatever and see where it's made. Note how a repressive govt's leaders are invited for a BBQ at the Presidential ranch. It isn't arms that influences, but commerce. No one wants to kill the cash cow.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Passions
Originally posted by: jman19
Originally posted by: jrenz
Korean news headlines... "NUCLEAR LAUNCH DETECTED"

Looks like N Korea rushed.

Yeah, NK teched up a lot faster than we expected :(

15 MIN NR!!!!!!!! NR NR NR!!

LMAO

No fair, only 10 min in and NK is nuking WTF hax

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: International Machine Consortium
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda
So much for the UN putting there foot down!! lol

Bush forces NK to do it and then the UN has to fix it? This is another Bush blunder. AXISS OF EEEEVEEEEELLLL..... THE U.S. WILL ATTACK YOU!
North Korea: Well, we'd better get hot on completing a bomb or the U.S. is gonna attack us too.
How could they not get that message? How would you have interpreted Bush's threats? As olive branches?

Offensive military action on the Korean peninsula has always been out of the question for the US as our primary obligation is to protect SK and the lives of its citizens. NK has long assured that any military action taken would be very costly in terms of SK civilian lives. All the comparisons people in this thread have made to Iraq are completely invalid given the tactical situation.

The simple fact is that we stopped paying up to nuclear extortion, a deal which Clinton brokered (I don't reallt blame him, wasn't his fault he got trick fvcked). It goes to show however that NK cannot be trusted to stick to any agreement made between only the US and NK, hence the six party talks. NK needs to be held responsible to its "allies" as well as us in any deal that is made.

As far as bellicose rehtoric goes, Bush's Axis of Evil speech, while not very prudent or wise IMO, is childs play compared to what NK has been saying about the US for the last 40 years or so.

beyoku

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2003
1. What did North Korea "want" in exchange for dropping nukes.
2. Why do we care about South Korea getting bombed, who cares about their lives. We can "Fight them there instead of here" - the same way we are doing in Iraq, fighting terrorists there instead of here, who cares about Iraqi lives. :confused:
3. Thats why Im saving up my money and moving to Africa soon. They will never get attacked. But you have to watch out for killer mosquitos.