Capital on Lockdown

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Some strange stuff coming out tonight about it. Child was in the car when police dumped rounds. Lady has a history of mental illness. She was unarmed. A man reported he saw police surrounding the car with the door open when they all started shooting her.

Again, she was unarmed. The police car that was smashed was not caused by her. He was speeding through the streets and slammed into a barrier...

Maybe her car had a TEA Party bumper sticker?

Fern

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
More Keystone Kops. They're becoming an epidemic in this country. When exactly did American cops become the biggest cowards on the planet?

Locally, a burglary was reported in a warehouse. When the county cops arrived, nobody responded to orders to come out. (Because the warehouse was empty.) So they called out the freaking SWAT team. For a burglary. Meanwhile, the sheriff in charge of these county cowards says they need more funding.

Idiots.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Maybe her car had a TEA Party bumper sticker?

Fern

Probably wouldn't of gotten shot then, most capital hill cops aren't exactly the progressive types. In fact I have my car lathered in Rush and Romney and stickers in case I ever get shot at.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
Not to worry. They chased her down and killed her. The country is now a safer place for every American coward.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
WTF

They shoot and kill AFTER she leaves their aggressive trap. At that point it certainly wasn't to protect themselves.

What's really sick is they knew a child was in the vehicle before they opened fire. I guess we're back to old school policing where running from the PoPo is a capital offense.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
This is sarcasm right?

No, it's an expression of disdain for police over reacting and shooting an unarmed woman and when they knew a kid was in the car too.

(At the time of that post it was claimed she hit a police vehicle, thus the "bad driver" comment. Now it appears she never hit a cop car.)

Fern

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
The fuck she didn't. It's right on the video.

So what? They didn't fire to stop her from further injuring a police officer, they were firing as she drove away. You know, just hurting a cop isn't grounds for summary execution Judge Dredd.

Lethal force is to protect others, not exact revenge.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I'm mostly concerned that they aggressively create the situation in which a frightened person trying to flee is justification for lethal force.

Oct 16, 1999
The person who created that situation was the driver putting the police, bystanders, and her child in danger. You don't get to assault and evade the police because you're scared.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
As much as I'd want to feel for the woman gunned down by police - you just don't fuck around with the biggest of government buildings. She chose poorly.

We need to ban vehicles. 35,000 deaths last year due to vehicles, that is far too many. How many more vehicular-caused mass murders does it take before we all wake up and realize that vehicles are not the answer to a civilized society.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
The person who created that situation was the driver putting the police, bystanders, and her child in danger. You don't get to assault and evade the police because you're scared.

But the obvious retort is, "Do you have die because of it?" as I don't see anyone arguing that she should of been let go or not arrested. Additionally why was the use of force acceptable because it was police officers applying it? If a armed citizen were to respond in such a manner while conducting a citizen's arrest would they/should they face criminal charges for firing shots in a similar situation where someone is attempting to flee apprehension?

/playing devil's advocate

I'll admit that I'm just making conjectures here without all the facts. I don't know all of what actually went down and the reasons for it but its interesting to think about these events rather than just accept this use of force by our agents of authority blindly.

Last edited:

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

You don't get to stand in front of a vehicle and then claim the right to kill the driver.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
But the obvious retort is, "Do you have die because of it?" as I don't see anyone arguing that she should of been let go or not arrested.

Good God, man. She might have attacked the Pentagon next with her vehicle and with the kid in the car. You need to stop these national threats before they escalate and more men and women of law enforcement are placed in harms way. Did you watch the video and see the dozen or so cops firing at her point blank and never realize that they were all risking their lives?

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
You sure as fuck do if you're a cop attempting an arrest and they drive at you.

Police aggression leading to lethal force needs be to addressed.

I vehemently oppose them being able to jump in front of someone and then kill them. People freak out, they run. It is a natural instinct. It shouldn't be fatal, we only choose to make it so.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
LOL so your response to assault on a cop is summary execution. You're a sicko.

It often is. What's sick is that so many people in this country just like him have been indoctrinated to accept this kind of behavior from law enforcement as the norm.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
Police aggression leading to lethal force needs be to addressed.

I vehemently oppose them being able to jump in front of someone and then kill them. People freak out, they run. It is a natural instinct. It shouldn't be fatal, we only choose to make it so.

Hey, range time is limited. You can't discharge your weapon if you deescalate situations. :colbert: