Capital on Lockdown

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Not me. I feel as sad for the shooter as I do for the family of the woman who was shot.

He's going to feel guilty, they have been deprived of a family member, you really think those two things are equivalent?

He will have to live his life remembering that the thing he was trying to prevent probably wasn't on the table.

Maybe that will bother him, maybe it wont. What will happen is he'll still be alive for his kids unlike the lady he shot.

I bet also that if a terrorist were driving that car he'd have been a national hero.

Are we going to treat every incident as if the people involved are potential suicide bombers? 'Cos thats going to suck.

It makes me sad too that I hear in your post such anger. Makes me what to hug you.

Hugs are good. So is not shooting people when theres no need.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Why is that such a critical component? Couldn't they have just made something up, or accessed her records if they were making it all up (that she was on meds)?

To me as a pharmacy major, saying she was on two medications that she recently stopped taking; one that is used for schizophrenia and the other for depression; doesn't tell us why she was on them.

Also one usually doesn't go on a rampage like this with their baby in the car.

Things don't add up on what happened between her leaving her place (and why) and what happened at the capitol.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
To me as a pharmacy major, saying she was on two medications that she recently stopped taking; one that is used for schizophrenia and the other for depression; doesn't tell us why she was on them.

Things don't add up on what happened between her leaving her place (and why) and what happened at the capitol.
19 of the last 20 "mass shootings" were done by people who were on, or had recently stopped taking, doctor-prescribed psychotropic drugs... so, seriously, what's there to explain?

If she wasn't a total nutcase before she started taking the meds, then I'm sure those "wonderful" pills -- each with possible side effects including hallucinations, suicidal thoughts, AND homicidal thoughts -- pushed her straight over the edge without a chute.

Crazy is as crazy does. Welcome to modern medicine.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
19 of the last 20 "mass shootings" were done by people who were on, or had recently stopped taking, doctor-prescribed psychotropic drugs... so, seriously, what's there to explain?

If she wasn't a total nutcase before she started taking the meds, then I'm sure those "wonderful" pills -- each with possible side effects including hallucinations, suicidal thoughts, AND homicidal thoughts -- pushed her straight over the edge without a chute.

Crazy is as crazy does. Welcome to modern medicine.

I am not sure what side of the fence you are on.

JockoJohnson

Golden Member
May 20, 2009
Why don't they just make it illegal to go crazy? That should stop the needless killing of unarmed threats.

Nov 30, 2006
Not me. I feel as sad for the shooter as I do for the family of the woman who was shot. He will have to live his life remembering that the thing he was trying to prevent probably wasn't on the table. I bet also that if a terrorist were driving that car he'd have been a national hero. It makes me sad too that I hear in your post such anger. Makes me what to hug you.
I have a brain defect which evokes anger at those who would shoot an unarmed women as she runs away...I'm just funny that way I guess.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013

The only solution is federalized restrictions on gun ownership similar to machine guns. Gun owners would need to update their licenses every year. Also, gun ownership should probably be limited to those over the age of 35. Young people with guns is a recipe for disaster.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The only solution is federalized restrictions on gun ownership similar to machine guns. Gun owners would need to update their licenses every year. Also, gun ownership should probably be limited to those over the age of 35. Young people with guns is a recipe for disaster.

And I'd like to see you tossed in a pit of hungry tigers, but we can't always get what we want.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

What rampage? Made a wrong turn off a street. Found a gate and a security officer who scared her.

Only thing she did was panic and make a run for it.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000

Bwhahahahah fail

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Seriously?! o_O

Way to miss the f'n point.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
What rampage? Made a wrong turn off a street. Found a gate and a security officer who scared her.

Only thing she did was panic and make a run for it.

The rampage is what the media is reporting. Even if correct, you don't bring your baby with you.

You need to see the forest through the trees.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Seriously?! o_O

Way to miss the f'n point.

I didn't miss the point. We all would be safer and happier if we implemented federal restrictions on all gun ownership similar to machine gun ownership. It really is that simple. Responsible sane people in good standing with the government could still have their weapons. It is win-win for everybody.

As a gun owner/hunter myself (Remington 700 : WSM, Winchester 94 : 30-30, S&W Chiefs Special : 45), I would welcome and celebrate more federal gun regulation. I am frankly mystified by the NRA types that are impeding smart and needed FEDERAL gun regulation. I do agree however that STATE gun regulation will not get the job done.

Last edited:

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I didn't miss the point. We all would be safer and happier if we implemented federal restrictions on all gun ownership similar to machine gun ownership. It really is that simple. Responsible sane people in good standing with the government could still have their weapons. It is win-win for everybody.

As a gun owner/hunter myself (Remington 700 : WSM, Winchester 94 : 30-30, S&W Chiefs Special : 45), I would welcome and celebrate more federal gun regulation. I am frankly mystified by the NRA types that are impeding smart and needed FEDERAL gun regulation. I do agree however that STATE gun regulation will not get the job done.

You can have Federal gun regulation when we have federal voter regulation: responsible, sane people in good standing with the government can vote if they update their licenses every year.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
You can have Federal gun regulation when we have federal voter regulation: responsible, sane people in good standing with the government can vote if they update their licenses every year.

Completely fine by me. If thats what it takes to get 'er done, I'm all in.

Is that all it would take to get you NRA types to back federal gun regulation?

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Completely fine by me. If that what it takes to get 'er done, I'm all in. Is that all it would take to get you NRA types to back federal gun regulation?

That is how compromise works: you give me something I want, I give you something you want.

I'll have a much easier time convincing the NRA than you will the NAACP. Good luck.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005

Actually, you just completely missed the point... AGAIN! Amazing.

Here's a hint: it had nothing to do with guns or gun laws -- neither of which are the problem.

Hint #2: the key words in my post were "psychotropic drugs," not the words "mass shootings."

Good luck! looks like you may need to phone-a-friend, or something...

Last edited: