Capital on Lockdown

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Democratic Reps. Gerald Connolly and Matthew Cartwright were having a conversation on the balcony outside the House chamber when they heard two bursts of about seven or eight rounds.
“We were like, ‘What is that?’” Mr. Connolly, Virginia Democrat, said. “I thought fireworks.”

LOL. Sorry, it's like a dark comedy.

These people live in a royal bubble, completely sheltered from the surrounding murder capital of the country, so that when for the first time in forever someone actually fires a gun anywhere near the important people... "WHAT'S THAT???!"

Their reaction would probably be similar if any of the red tape they piss on everyone else ever effected them either. "WHAT'S THIS??"

D.C. is like a complete microcosm of fucked-up.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006

These people live in a royal bubble, completely sheltered from the surrounding murder capital of the country, so that when for the first time in forever someone actually fires a gun anywhere near the important people... "WHAT'S THAT???!"

Their reaction would probably be similar if any of the red tape they piss on everyone else ever effected them either. "WHAT'S THIS??"

Well to be fair if you've never fired a gun or heard one fired it's probably hard to distinguish from firecrackers.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Doesn't say anything about a dead woman.

Don't know about dead, but she was at least shot.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/03/politics/u-s-capitol-shooting-main/index.html?hpt=po_c1

Washington (CNN) -- Police near the U.S. Capitol opened fire Thursday on a car being chased by authorities from near the White House, hitting a woman driving the vehicle that also contained a child, an intelligence source told CNN.

Now was this legit or are we talking rambo cops?

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I just want to know if there was a crack pipe in the car with her. Suicide by cop makes for one crazy lady.

The facts make this comment inappropriate.

Last edited:

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I think Dems should add a semi-auto weapons ban to the CR bill.

Would be nice, at that point they could drop the bullshit "holier than though" attitude they've had thus far. But unfortunately I don't think they're that stupid.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Well to be fair if you've never fired a gun or heard one fired it's probably hard to distinguish from firecrackers.
That's the ironic part, given that guns are going off in their own backyard all the time. But these people would never know anything about all that unless they were doing the usual pretending to give a shit. That's just some shit the serfs have to deal with, not the important people. Just like they've NEVER been affected by anything going on outside the beltway, and much of it that they've helped cause.

*The sights and sounds of Economic hard times.* "What's that?"

Can't see it from a capital balcony.

It's just a great illustration of how out of touch these people are with so much of what goes on beyond their guided bubble.

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
Per ABC News, the dead suspect had a child in her car. She tried to ram the White House gate, and then led a high speed chase to the capitol building where she was shot. She had no ID and the child was unhurt (a miracle).

I dont care what your political affiliation or thoughts on current issues are - but it isnt a stretch to think she was probably upset about them (whatever her opinions were). Upset is understating things - she rammed the WH with a child in her car. I'm not even sure distraught is strong enough. The country is as unhappy as it has been since I was very young (70s). Our politicians are not doing their jobs and things are getting worse.

Check out this soundbyte from an NC congresswoman and a congressman from the opposing party. You cannot make this stuff up. And even worse, she will likely get away with it.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/video?id=9271126

Renee Ellmers is a NC congresswoman who is one of the ones currently holding the US hostage with this governement shut down. She was asked by local tv if she was going to give up her paycheck like some others have been doing in support of the federal workers.

her response...

The thing is, I need my paycheck. Thats the bottom line.

If she is not voted out for that, our govt is hopelessly broken.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Wait, so a gun went off in DC? The simultaneous murder and gun-control capital of the United States? Yeah, that's news. :rolleyes:

Oh wait it happened in the supposedly clean part of DC? Near DA CAPITAL?! ZOMG BREAKING NEWS!!!

:biggrin: :thumbsup:

Nothing else needs to be said.

MaxPayne63

Dec 19, 2011
I dont care what your political affiliation or thoughts on current issues are - but it isnt a stretch to think she was probably upset about them (whatever her opinions were). Upset is understating things - she rammed the WH with a child in her car. I'm not even sure distraught is strong enough

It's far more likely that she is just a nutjob, but don't let that stop you from using her death to support your politics. :)

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Per ABC News, the dead suspect had a child in her car. She tried to ram the White House gate, and then led a high speed chase to the capitol building where she was shot. She had no ID and the child was unhurt (a miracle).

I dont care what your political affiliation or thoughts on current issues are - but it isnt a stretch to think she was probably upset about them (whatever her opinions were). Upset is understating things - she rammed the WH with a child in her car. I'm not even sure distraught is strong enough. The country is as unhappy as it has been since I was very young (70s). Our politicians are not doing their jobs and things are getting worse.

Check out this soundbyte from an NC congresswoman and a congressman from the opposing party. You cannot make this stuff up. And even worse, she will likely get away with it.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/video?id=9271126

Renee Ellmers is a NC congresswoman who is one of the ones currently holding the US hostage with this governement shut down. She was asked by local tv if she was going to give up her paycheck like some others have been doing in support of the federal workers.

her response...

The thing is, I need my paycheck. Thats the bottom line.

If she is not voted out for that, our govt is hopelessly broken.

Why the off-topic bit about paychecks during the shutdown?

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
Of course the shooter runs away. Coward. I hope they catch him. Probably some birther or something.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008

Don't you love it? People making laws about guns when they don't even know what one sounds like in real life.

That's like me going to ref a lacrosse game. I've never stepped foot on a lax field ever, but I bet I could bullshit my way through reffing one.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Anyone see the video yet?

I'm not happy to see police kill a person who was merely scared and attempting to flee.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Of course the shooter runs away. Coward. I hope they catch him. Probably some birther or something.

1. It's a her.
2. She was trying to ram security barriers, then drove off.
3. She was shot
4. All of this was reported well before you posted.

Just saying...

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Most complete report I've seen so far (CNN)

Uniformed secret service agent first encountered the woman in the black car near the White House, a federal law enforcement source tells John King.

An intelligence source tells Deb Feyerick the car was stopped at a White House checkpoint and words were exchanged between the woman and an officer blocking access. Driver initially ignored demands to turn away from the restricted zone, the source says.

The driver sped away, both sources said.

Per protocol, the presidential protective detail was immediately notified because of the proximity to the White House.

Close to the Capitol, the woman's car hit a police cruiser, injuring the officer inside and the airbag in that police car deployed, the intelligence source says.

Because of the driver refused to stop and drove in a threatening manner -- and the location -- use of force was authorized, according to the law enforcement source.

Multiple shots fired, per both sources.

Multiple sources tell CNN it is not believed at this point that any shots were fired from the car.

The driver was hit . A child in the car was removed by police.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Multiple sources tell CNN it is not believed at this point that any shots were fired from the car.

So, an angry mother who happens to be a bad driver gets shot and she didn't have a gun nor was shooting at anyone else?

Jeebus.

Fern

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Some strange stuff coming out tonight about it. Child was in the car when police dumped rounds. Lady has a history of mental illness. She was unarmed. A man reported he saw police surrounding the car with the door open when they all started shooting her.

Again, she was unarmed. The police car that was smashed was not caused by her. He was speeding through the streets and slammed into a barrier...

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
-snip-
Again, she was unarmed. The police car that was smashed was not caused by her. He was speeding through the streets and slammed into a barrier...

Sounds more like a Kennedy was driving.

Fern