Can we quit giving Notre Dame a free pass to the BCS now?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Alkaline5

Jun 21, 2001
Originally posted by: MikeyIs4Dcats
Originally posted by: Alkaline5
Originally posted by: HomeBrewerDude
ND and the other independents need to just join a conference already.
Navy, Army, and Temple are the only other independent football schools. Pretty much all of the major independents joined a conference in the early 90s. Thanks to the undeserved national interest in them, ND already makes a boatload of money and they have no reason to join a conference. I doubt very much that they could've won 10 games playing in one of the 6 major conferences.

why not, there are 2 to 4 patsys in every conference
They probably could've won 10 in the Big East since there are only 7 conference games, but they still would have had to beat at least one of the three ranked BE teams (Louisville, West Virginia, Rutgers) and not get upset by anyone to reach 10. Considering their track record with ranked opponents, I'm not sure I see them winning 10 in any conference.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
Even without record-setting quarterback Brady Quinn, receiver Jeff Samardzija and many more of its best players next season, Notre Dame will finally end its postseason drought, now the longest in NCAA history.

The Fighting Irish will end the postseason losing streak that dates back to 1994 because next season they'll be playing in some second-tier bowl game in a non-descript place like Shreveport, La., which is where they should have been playing during much of the last two decades.

Text

:)

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: chuckywang
I guess it's ND's fault for having an 10-2 year and earning the right to draw the college football elite in their bowl games.

Maybe next year, they could throw a few games and go 7-5, so they can finally get a bowl win against Bowling Green. :roll:

maybe thats becasue they play in a Crappy easy conference as an independant..
put them in a real conference give them a real schedule and lets see if they can compete..
hell I say put them in the BIG 12 so Texas and OU can beat the stuffing out of them every year.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
Originally posted by: CVSiN
I guess it's ND's fault for having an 10-2 year and earning the right to draw the college football elite in their bowl games.

Maybe next year, they could throw a few games and go 7-5, so they can finally get a bowl win against Bowling Green. :roll:

put them in a real conference give them a real schedule and lets see if they can compete..
hell I say put them in the BIG 12 so Texas and OU can beat the stuffing out of them every year.

They don't play in a conference. :) They cherrypick the easiest opponents for most of the year, then fold like a lawnchair in their bigger games.

Spineshank

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Originally posted by: brxndxn
I called Notre Dame overrated at the beginning of this year.. But then again, I call everyone that's not in the SEC overrated.

Yea the SEC looked real strong in the bowl games too :disgust:

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Gnrslash4life
I called Notre Dame overrated at the beginning of this year.. But then again, I call everyone that's not in the SEC overrated.

The SEC isn't doing too bad considering some of the matchups...the SEC put 9 teams in bowl games and if I can count correctly are currently 5-3 in bowl games this year.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005

Ranked #11 shouldn't "earn" you the right to play in a BCS bowl. I hope it continues because I enjoy watching "the Domers" get their arses handed to them in any big game.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Originally posted by: hdeck
yeah that will never happen. they have their own tv contract, special rules written in the bcs formula for them, etc etc etc

Plus, ND is on the BCS selection committee. Talk about the fox watching the hen house.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Feldenak
Text

:)
I find this part of that article quite amusing:
He was so concerned about his team's slow starts in the losses to Ohio State, Michigan and USC that he changed the ways the Irish practiced in the month leading up to the Sugar Bowl. Weis demanded less from his players, something he had never before done in his career.

Weis hoped his team would be fresher and more relaxed, and promised his team wouldn't play tight after the Irish fell behind quickly in the aforementioned losses.
Ok, lets think this through. In the regular season, you usually have 6 days off between football games. Push them hard in that short time span, and yes, they will be a bit tired on the next game. But ND had almost 6 weeks of rest from their last game to this bowl game. He didn't push them during the 6 weeks because they might be tired? Does he know 6 weeks >> 6 days? As long as college football stupidly gives teams 6 weeks to prepare for one bowl game, a coach will have to push them very hard during that time, because they have the time to recover and be fully rested for the bowl.

Spineshank

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001

The SEC isn't doing too bad considering some of the matchups...the SEC put 9 teams in bowl games and if I can count correctly are currently 5-3 in bowl games this year.

They arent bad but i think they are showing they arent the hype that everyone was giving them. LSU whooping ND is nothing as we all knew ND wasnt good at all.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Originally posted by: CVSiN

OU? Didn't they lose to Boise St.?

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
I don't understand how you guys actually think they always have such an easy schedule. Their schedule this year looked easy because a lot of their opponents had off years. They played Georgia Tech, Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, UCLA, and USC - ALL of these schools have track records of being good teams.

I can understand the contempt for ND, but attacking them based on strength of schedule is just stupid.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003

They arent bad but i think they are showing they arent the hype that everyone was giving them. LSU whooping ND is nothing as we all knew ND wasnt good at all.

IIRC, some of the SEC bowl teams were around 6-6 and were paired up with 8+ win teams in the bowls. Those kinds of games should be a mismatch.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Also for the overrated side, remember, ND came from behind to barely win in three games.
[*]Georgia Tech: game winning TD with 6.5 minutes left,
[*]A massive deficit to Michigan State: game winning interception return with ~3 minutes left, and
[*]UCLA: game winning score with 27 seconds left.

ND was a ref call and two catches away from being a 7W, 6L team.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Originally posted by: DougK62
I don't understand how you guys actually think they always have such an easy schedule. Their schedule this year looked easy because a lot of their opponents had off years. They played Georgia Tech, Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, UCLA, and USC - ALL of these schools have track records of being good teams.

I can understand the contempt for ND, but attacking them based on strength of schedule is just stupid.

Don't forget the Service Academies. ND was 1-3 vs. Top 25 teams this year.

Spineshank

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001

IIRC, some of the SEC bowl teams were around 6-6 and were paired up with 8+ win teams in the bowls. Those kinds of games should be a mismatch.

Im not saying they suck but look at Tenn and Arkansas...Auburn barely beat a medicore Nebraska team.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003

Im not saying they suck but look at Tenn and Arkansas...Auburn barely beat a medicore Nebraska team.

I expected UT to lose (but hoped they'd win). Arkansas...well, who the hell knows what's going on over there with Houston Nutt and the parents of those kids he brought in. They deserved to lose simply for having meddling parents.

Auburn...well, Auburn's been winning that way all year. I love my Tigers but they're really not that great of an 11-win team.

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
A very informative story on why we have the bowls the way they are now.

Basically, it started in 1987 with a number one versus a number two team. Because of artificial hype, the number one team agreed to play. Because of boneheaded posturing of the number one team, the media made it out to be good versus evil. And in the end, they got the highest rated college game and a call for a championship series.

But they never thought there would be a thing called parity, nor did they ever think that a major college could ever have a sucky team that could be beaten by an all girls' team.

"This was Jan. 2, 1987, and for the first time, the college football season had been extended beyond New Year's Day. Because of a quirk in the system, because Miami was ranked No. 1 and Penn State was ranked No. 2, and both schools were independents at the time, with no ties to any conferences, meaning no affiliations with any specific bowls, the Fiesta Bowl landed the dream matchup. Before this, the Fiesta had been second-tier, unable to stand up to the cabal of Rose, Cotton, Sugar and Orange, but now the Fiesta Bowl was in the right place at the right time, and so was NBC, which took the radical step of shifting the game to a Friday night and preempting its most popular television show to make room for, of all things, a college football game."

At halftime, Bob Costas conducted a rambling interview with President Reagan. Meyers' vision had come to fruition. The ratings were enormous, larger than even the network could have expected: 25.1 percent of households with televisions (more than 70 million viewers) were tuned to NBC that night; no college football game has gotten that kind of ratings share, before or since.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002

yeah... because 5-4 bowl record is so dominant...

get a clue... the SEC isnt the only powerhouse conference in D1 football.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
Originally posted by: sao123

yeah... because 5-4 bowl record is so dominant...

get a clue... the SEC isnt the only powerhouse conference in D1 football.

I've never claimed it was.

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002

i agree. thse are traditionally strong teams. however, them not being in a conference gets them an escape from a conference championship team. they should be stuck in the big10 where they belong

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Originally posted by: LS20

i agree. thse are traditionally strong teams. however, them not being in a conference gets them an escape from a conference championship team. they should be stuck in the big10 where they belong

ND has teams that are members of the Big East.

Juno

Lifer
Jul 3, 2004

i agree. thse are traditionally strong teams. however, them not being in a conference gets them an escape from a conference championship team. they should be stuck in the big EAST where they belong

fixed.

Alkaline5

Jun 21, 2001
Originally posted by: brandonbull

ND has teams that are members of the Big East.
They don't have any traditional rivalries with BE teams in football, though. They play at least 3 Big 10 teams a year already, and the B10 could use another team anyway.