Can we quit giving Notre Dame a free pass to the BCS now?

thegimp03

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2004
Haha, they should just create a bowl named the "Overrated Bowl" and stick UND in it every year no matter what.

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
Call up the BCS admin office and tell them to write out the ND rules.

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
Yeah its just silly that Notre Dame gets into bowl games every year which they don't deserve and of course they always lose. There are so many teams that are more deserving, and frankly given Notre Dames terrible bowl record I think one of the other teams should at least get a shot at a BCS bowl since Notre Dame clearly isn't capable of winning one.

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
I guess it's ND's fault for having an 10-2 year and earning the right to draw the college football elite in their bowl games.

Maybe next year, they could throw a few games and go 7-5, so they can finally get a bowl win against Bowling Green. :roll:

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
Originally posted by: chuckywang
I guess it's ND's fault for having an 10-2 year and earning the right to draw the college football elite in their bowl games.

Maybe next year, they could throw a few games and go 7-5, so they can finally get a bowl win against Bowling Green. :roll:

Psst, LSU is routing ND right now. Just wanted to let you know. ;)

dbk

Lifer
Apr 23, 2004
Why are they an Independent?? Why the heck do they have their own channel? I think that's where we have to start first.

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
I called Notre Dame overrated at the beginning of this year.. But then again, I call everyone that's not in the SEC overrated.

alexjohnson16

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2002

A 10-2 Notre Dame team whose signature win is a four-pointer over a 9-5 Georgia Tech team who played in a terrible ACC.

It's sad that ND goes to the Sugar while better teams like Wisconsin, Auburn, West Virginia, etc., have to settle for lesser bowls.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
It's not just the fault of the BCS system and that silly rule they have for Notre Dame. It's also the idiotic coaches/others who rate them so high in the polls for no reason other than sheep mentality and hype.

If you remember they were even ranked #2 early in the season. :roll:

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

They would have been in the BCS this year without the special rule.

I would like to see the special rule done away with, but I would also get rid of the automatic conference invites too.

That's my current not well thought out position. :)

MazerRackham

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2002
Notre Dame is terrible, and will continue to be terrible for the next 15 years. I can't believe they got themselves that BCS game waiver. As others have mentioned, there are MANY other teams that would be been a much tougher (read: more entertaining) match for LSU. Anyone who didn't think LSU was going to rout ND is crazy.

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
Auburn and Wisconsin are both ranked higher than Notre Dame and didn't make a BCS bowl, so no they really wouldn't have made it by rankings alone.

BlancoNino

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2005
I like the double-standard that ND fans have for Charlie Weis. If ND wins with these players, it's because he's such a great coach. If Weis loses with these players, it's because Willingham did a crappy job recruiting.

Excuse me, Mr. Weis, can you please name the teams you've beaten that have finished in the top-25? Oh? You can't because you haven't? You mean your whole coaching tenure has been banking off of experienced players and weak schedules? That's okay, at least you've won a bowl game. Wait...you still haven't? WHAT!?!? You got blown out in both of them? Wow, I guess I assumed all of this had happened since you were given a 10-year contract extension. Just keep telling yourself that Willingham was fired because he was coaching poorly and not because Urban Meyer was on the market and ND desperately tried to get him, but had to settle for you at the last second.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: BrownTown
Auburn and Wisconsin are both ranked higher than Notre Dame and didn't make a BCS bowl, so no they really wouldn't have made it by rankings alone.

No conference is allowed to have 3 teams in the BCS bowls.

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
Originally posted by: BrownTown

Yes they would have. BCS rules mandate that no more than 2 teams from a single conference can play in BCS Bowls. Wisconsin and Auburn would have been left out anyways if the special rules for ND didn't exist.

dbk

Lifer
Apr 23, 2004
Originally posted by: dbk
ESPN bottonline: ND lost 9 straight bowl games :laugh:

And read my post up above, :roll:

They're playing against elite competition here.

Maybe they shouldn't be.

chowderhead

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 1999
ND needs to stop playing the armed services to boost their records. If the marines weren't all serving in Iraq, I am sure ND would schedule a game with them as well.

dbk

Lifer
Apr 23, 2004
Originally posted by: bunnyfubbles
ESPN bottonline: ND lost 9 straight bowl games :laugh:

And read my post up above, :roll:

They're playing against elite competition here.

Maybe they shouldn't be.

Which is the point of this thread.

But they play against elite competition. :laugh: Ok, I'll stop.