Can we quit giving Notre Dame a free pass to the BCS now?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
it would have been such a great story if Rutgers got to play ND - either in a ****** or a bcs bowl - and put a stomping on the touchdown jesuses

BlancoNino

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2005
Originally posted by: chuckywang
Originally posted by: dbk
ESPN bottonline: ND lost 9 straight bowl games :laugh:

And read my post up above, :roll:

They're playing against elite competition here.

Because North Carolina State and Lousiana State are elite football programs? Oregon State in 2004 wasn't that great of a team either.

alexjohnson16

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2002
Originally posted by: BlancoNino
Originally posted by: chuckywang
Originally posted by: dbk
ESPN bottonline: ND lost 9 straight bowl games :laugh:

And read my post up above, :roll:

They're playing against elite competition here.

Because North Carolina State and Lousiana State are elite football programs? Oregon State in 2004 wasn't that great of a team either.

LSU is an elite program. They just won a national championship in 2003.

And to chuckywang, in ND's current bowl losing streak, they've only lost to Colorado, Georgia Tech, Oregon State (x2), and NC State, none of which I'd say are close to elite opponents.

mpitts

Lifer
Jun 9, 2000
As long as the jaded ND fans continue to show up and book hotel rooms, big bowls with big payouts will keep inviting them.

jhayx7

Platinum Member
Oct 1, 2005
As mpitts said, it is a matter of $$$, that is why they are placed in higher ranked bowl games. ND brings in a serious fan base with a lot of money behind it, do you really think that the BCS wants it any other way? They are out to make money and that is the main reason we will never see a playoff system.

austin316

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2001
that is one reason they have lost 9 straight bowls. they always go to a better bowl game than they should because of their large following.

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
I think Brady Quinn played badly tonight so he could get a ticket out of Oakland tonight. Would be a smart move actually.

mpitts

Lifer
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by: ThaGrandCow
Can someone explain this special rule?

First there is this:

4. Notre Dame will have an automatic berth if it is in the top eight of the final BCS Standings.

Then this:

If there are fewer than 10 automatic qualifiers, then the bowls will select at-large participants to fill the remaining berths. At at-large team is any Division I-A team that is bowl-eligible and meets the following requirements:

A. Has won at least nine regular-season games, and
B. Is among the top 14 teams in the final BCS Standings.
Note: in order to participate in a BCS Bowl game, a team (i) must be eligible for post-season play under the rules of the NCAA and, if it not an independent, under the rules of its Conference and (ii) must not have imposed sanctions upon itself prohibiting participation in a post-season game for infractions of the rules of the NCAA or the rules of its Conference.

getbush

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2001
I love this. I'm from Michigan and my gf went to a rich catholic high school so we know a ton of people that go there. All we hear about is how great ND is. We hate ND with a passion. Her best friend from high school is graduating from ND this year and flew down for the Sugar Bowl. We are giddy that they got stomped. I hate Weiss too.
p.s. fire Lloyd Carr already U of M!

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Originally posted by: mpitts
As long as the jaded ND fans continue to show up and book hotel rooms, big bowls with big payouts will keep inviting them.

EXACTLY

Anyone who thinks the BCS is about who the better teams are is seriously misguided/delusional. It's all about the jack.

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
yeah that will never happen. they have their own tv contract, special rules written in the bcs formula for them, etc etc etc

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Syringer
I think Brady Quinn played badly tonight so he could get a ticket out of Oakland tonight. Would be a smart move actually.

Everytime I see Brady Quinn, he plays like sh*t. I've yet to see, with my own eyes, the Brady Quinn that the press has been jizzing in their pants over. The media is always apologizing for him. "Well, looks like he's having an off game tonight blah blah blah". When the hell has it NOT been an "off game"?

He has a stronger-than-average arm, but that's it. He has ZERO pocket instinct and he chokes when the pressure comes. I know he doesn't have the best protection in the world, but that's what separates the above average quarterbacks from the great quarterbacks.

Brady Quinn is an above average quarterback that is seen as elite simply because he has a couple receivers capable of reeling in what would otherwise be totally uncatchable passes.

PS: Weiss is the worst play caller ***EVER***

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
Originally posted by: jbourne77
Originally posted by: Syringer

Everytime I see Brady Quinn, he plays like sh*t. I've yet to see, with my own eyes, the Brady Quinn that the press has been jizzing in their pants over. The media is always apologizing for him. "Well, looks like he's having an off game tonight blah blah blah". When the hell has it NOT been an "off game"?

He has a stronger-than-average arm, but that's it. He has ZERO pocket instinct and he chokes when the pressure comes. I know he doesn't have the best protection in the world, but that's what separates the above average quarterbacks from the great quarterbacks.

Brady Quinn is an above average quarterback that is seen as elite simply because he has a couple receivers capable of reeling in what would otherwise be totally uncatchable passes.

PS: Weiss is the worst play caller ***EVER***

he has no protection, no run game, no defense. every "big game" he has to press and take chances to make up for his defense giving up big play after big play. he has the size & arm strength that the nfl likes. unfortunately for him, he will be drafted high and go to a team with the same issues notre dame has and will probably have a rough adjusting period.

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
itd be kind of fun to keep ushering nd in these big bowl games and keep seeing them lose

Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by: BrownTown
Auburn and Wisconsin are both ranked higher than Notre Dame and didn't make a BCS bowl, so no they really wouldn't have made it by rankings alone.

that was because BCS isn't allowed to have more than 2 teams from any conference.

Alkaline5

Jun 21, 2001
Originally posted by: HomeBrewerDude
ND and the other independents need to just join a conference already.
Navy, Army, and Temple are the only other independent football schools. Pretty much all of the major independents joined a conference in the early 90s. Thanks to the undeserved national interest in them, ND already makes a boatload of money and they have no reason to join a conference. I doubt very much that they could've won 10 games playing in one of the 6 major conferences.

Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Alkaline5
Originally posted by: HomeBrewerDude
ND and the other independents need to just join a conference already.
Navy, Army, and Temple are the only other independent football schools. Pretty much all of the major independents joined a conference in the early 90s. Thanks to the undeserved national interest in them, ND already makes a boatload of money and they have no reason to join a conference. I doubt very much that they could've won 10 games playing in one of the 6 major conferences.

why not, there are 2 to 4 patsys in every conference

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Alkaline5
Thanks to the undeserved national interest in them, ND already makes a boatload of money and they have no reason to join a conference.
That is easilly fixed.

The BCS bowl rules can be changed to eliminate the ND bias (that rule is very unethical to single out one team only). Then make a new rule that only the top two teams in each conference are qualified for a BCS bowl. ND isn't in a conference? Too bad, they aren't qualified then, no matter what their record is. ND will quickly join the Big 10, where they belong. Also, nicely the Big 10 will then have 12 teams and will finally have a conference championship game.

ND is always overrated, thus ND always gets into a bowl that they will be outclassed in. The 9-loss streak is just proof of the overrated ND team.

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
College football is all about making MONEY. Notre Dame brings in the big bucks - more than any other team. Deal with it.