Can we quit giving Notre Dame a free pass to the BCS now?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: brandonbull
Originally posted by: LS20
i agree. thse are traditionally strong teams. however, them not being in a conference gets them an escape from a conference championship team. they should be stuck in the big10 where they belong
ND has teams that are members of the Big East.
I'm not exactly sure what brandonbull is saying. But I want to defend the reason ND belongs in the Big 10. First of all, geographically, they are located right in the Big 10 region. But lets also look at their schedule this year:

[*]Big 10: Penn St., Michigan, Mighigan St., Purdue
[*]ACC: Georgia Tech, North Carolina
[*]Pac 10: Stanford, UCLA, USC
[*]Independents: Navy, Army
[*]Mountain West: Air Force

They played four Big 10 teams, and no Big East teams. They only need a couple more Big 10 teams games if they were in the Big 10.

And finally, the Big 10 needs one more team to be eligible for conference championship games.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
I don't want ND in the Big 10. I'd rather they pull some other conference's average down.

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
Originally posted by: dullard
i agree. thse are traditionally strong teams. however, them not being in a conference gets them an escape from a conference championship team. they should be stuck in the big10 where they belong
I'm not exactly sure what brandonbull is saying. But I want to defend the reason ND belongs in the Big 10. First of all, geographically, they are located right in the Big 10 region. But lets also look at their schedule this year:

They played four Big 10 teams, and no Big East teams. They only need a couple more Big 10 teams games if they were in the Big 10.

And finally, the Big 10 needs one more team to be eligible for conference championship games.

in their other sports (basketball, volleyball, etc) they are in the big east conference.

*edit* but i agree they should be in the big 10

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: hdeck
in their other sports (basketball, volleyball, etc) they are in the big east conference.
There is no reason they can't be Big 10 for football and Big East for other sports. At the moment they are different for football, so why can't they always be different for football?

Juno

Lifer
Jul 3, 2004

i'll have to argue with this. it doesn't really matter which conference ND should play but in the other sport bodies, ND belongs to big east.

on the other hand, marquette and depaul (despite having no football programs) are members of big east even they are not located in the east.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Juno
i'll have to argue with this. it doesn't really matter which conference ND should play but in the other sport bodies, ND belongs to big east.

on the other hand, marquette and depaul (despite having no football programs) are members of big east even they are not located in the east.
This is football, not other sports. That is a silly notion that they have to play all sports in the same conference. They don't play all sports in the same conference now. I'm not changing that fact.

Alkaline5

Jun 21, 2001
Originally posted by: jbourne77
I don't want ND in the Big 10. I'd rather they pull some other conference's average down.
ND is at least as good as an average B10 team, so they wouldn't hurt the conference directly by joining.

Actually having the conference's top teams play each other for a change? Yeah, that would probably hurt a bit.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Alkaline5
Originally posted by: jbourne77
ND is at least as good as an average B10 team, so they wouldn't hurt the conference directly by joining.

Actually having the conference's top teams play each other for a change? Yeah, that would probably hurt a bit.

I was being sarcastic ;) . I would relish annual ND abuse at the hands of Ohio State.

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
Originally posted by: hdeck
There is no reason they can't be Big 10 for football and Big East for other sports. At the moment they are different for football, so why can't they always be different for football?

never said they couldn't :) just clarifying his post

dbk

Lifer
Apr 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Juno

This is football, not other sports. That is a silly notion that they have to play all sports in the same conference. They don't play all sports in the same conference now. I'm not changing that fact.

I agree they should be in the Big 10. ND has some good rivalries with Big 10 teams. Getting that much needed conference championship is a huge plus, too. Big 10 deserves a conference championship.

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
they have a big rivalry with UM. might as well play in the same conference as them. then, IF they are good, and usc makes it out to pac 10, they can meet up in the Rose and play out that rivalry, too. win-win.

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
a few thoughts...

I agree that I'm sick and tired of ND getting into BCS games that they shouldn't - let's look at the central rule that put them in a BCS game this year - the 3 teams from one conference rule, and how STUPID that rule is.

Basically, the 3 team rule was put in place to prevent once conference from getting 3 BCS payouts - lets' just say, for the sake of this discussion, that a BCS payout is 2M for a team. That money, for any team in a conference, is split equally among all the teams in that conference. So the Big 10 this year gets, lets say $5 from Michigan and OSU's BCS games, and that 5M is then split up among the 11 teams in the conference. Had Wisconsin played in the Sugar Bowl instead of ND (as they should have), that's another 2M to the Big 10 - so the big 10 teams, all 11 of them, split up the $7m (guess) , which is about 1.5M per school.

ND, on the other hand, doesn't have a conference to split the money with - so they get 2M for playing the Sugar Bowl - more than any big ten team would get, even if the conference had 3 BCS teams.

So does that rule not make sense to anyone else?

ND, right now, simply isn't very good - the last 4 elite programs they played - OSU in last year's bowl, and Michigan, USC, and LSU - blew them off the field - the games weren't even competitive. I will agree that they do try and schedule a lot of games with teams from the big conferences - it's not like they duck big opponents, so those games against Army, Navy, AF - are really no different than a lot of conference teams non-conference games.

As for the talk of what conference is better than the others, I think it's pretty clear that top to bottom, the SEC was the best conference this year, followed by the Big 10. After that it's close between the Big 12 and the Pac 10, and the ACC and Big East could toss themselves into that discussion as well, but I have a hard time with anyone who doesn't think the SEC, and then the Big 10, weren't the two top conferences this year.

sciencewhiz

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Originally posted by: NeoV
Basically, the 3 team rule was put in place to prevent once conference from getting 3 BCS payouts - lets' just say, for the sake of this discussion, that a BCS payout is 2M for a team. That money, for any team in a conference, is split equally among all the teams in that conference. So the Big 10 this year gets, lets say $5 from Michigan and OSU's BCS games, and that 5M is then split up among the 11 teams in the conference. Had Wisconsin played in the Sugar Bowl instead of ND (as they should have), that's another 2M to the Big 10 - so the big 10 teams, all 11 of them, split up the $7m (guess) , which is about 1.5M per school.

Notre Dame no longer gets the payout of the first BCS team from a conference (17 million). Instead they get they payout of the second BCS team (4.5 million). Still out of balance, but not nearly as much as it used to be.

The BCS also bribes non-bcs conferences with 9 million per year, whether or not a non-bcs team makes a BCS bowl, just so they can keep the system going.

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Feldenak
Originally posted by: CVSiN
Originally posted by: chuckywang
I guess it's ND's fault for having an 10-2 year and earning the right to draw the college football elite in their bowl games.

Maybe next year, they could throw a few games and go 7-5, so they can finally get a bowl win against Bowling Green. :roll:

maybe thats becasue they play in a Crappy easy conference as an independant..
put them in a real conference give them a real schedule and lets see if they can compete..
hell I say put them in the BIG 12 so Texas and OU can beat the stuffing out of them every year.

They don't play in a conference. :) They cherrypick the easiest opponents for most of the year, then fold like a lawnchair in their bigger games.

Don't even go there. There are many things you can say about ND, but don't you dare say they cherry pick easy opponents. They play the USC's, the Michigan's, the Ohio State's, the Tennessee's of the college football landscape. They don't back down playing elite competition. Ok, so they might schedule Army and Air Force and a few crappy schools, but hey, so does everybody else. Michigan played Ball State and Northwestern. Ohio State played NIU. Florida played Western Carolina and Central Florida.

The bottom line is that people are criticizing ND for picking easy schools to play against. People don't seem to know that they PICK TWELVE games to play each year. Everybody else PICKS FOUR because everybody else is in a conference. You'll be lucky that the elite teams pick one good team and/or one road game out of those four OOC games. And everybody's jumping on ND for soft scheduling?

Nov 3, 2004
I guess it's ND's fault for having an 10-2 year and earning the right to draw the college football elite in their bowl games.

Maybe next year, they could throw a few games and go 7-5, so they can finally get a bowl win against Bowling Green. :roll:

put them in a real conference give them a real schedule and lets see if they can compete..
hell I say put them in the BIG 12 so Texas and OU can beat the stuffing out of them every year.

They don't play in a conference. :) They cherrypick the easiest opponents for most of the year, then fold like a lawnchair in their bigger games.

Don't even go there. There are many things you can say about ND, but don't you dare say they cherry pick easy opponents. They play the USC's, the Michigan's, the Ohio State's, the Tennessee's of the college football landscape. They don't back down playing elite competition. Ok, so they might schedule Army and Air Force and a few crappy schools, but hey, so does everybody else. Michigan played Ball State and Northwestern. Ohio State played NIU. Florida played Western Carolina and Central Florida.

The bottom line is that people are criticizing ND for picking easy schools to play against. People don't seem to know that they PICK TWELVE games to play each year. Everybody else PICKS FOUR because everybody else is in a conference. You'll be lucky that the elite teams pick one good team and/or one road game out of those four OOC games. And everybody's jumping on ND for soft scheduling?

Did you read the part of his post that said most of the teams they play are easy? And then the few good teams destroy them. ND played all the service acadadmies.

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001

And don't forget that the Army and Air Force games go back to when those schools actually had good teams.

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: IAteYourMother

Did you read the part of his post that said most of the teams they play are easy? And then the few good teams destroy them. ND played all the service acadadmies.

Most of the teams they play are easy? They had 12 teams on their schedule. 7 of them played in a bowl game.