Borderlands DLC playthrough order?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I actually like the lower zoom sniper rifle. I maxed out my hunter's sniper rifle and revolver skills completing all the game's content (2.5 playthroughs, dlc, etc.) I never had to resort to SMGs.

I'm on playthrough 2 knoxx DLC with my Siren now and I understand why people say it's so much easier with the Siren. Not much presents a challenge.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I've been slowly playing my Hunter, but I'm actually trying to focus on machine pistols/revolvers over sniper rifle. Maybe that's dumb, I don't know, But I'm not always into spending too much time staying far back and picking everything off. Maybe Siren has spoiled me (run into mob, burst out of phase, spread death, run away, muwahahahaha).

I do like Sniper though--about 17 proficiency on my Siren as it's almost always in the 4th slot. Since I maxed out her SMG a long time ago, I've been focusing on pistols and shotguns, emphasis on pistol. I have a rpetty awesome Hyperion double repeater with a 2.4x zoom and 10 fire rate, or something like that. I've leveled her proficiency pretty quickly into the 20s because it started at about 4 against level 66 enemies.

So, do the sniper talents for Hunter so drastically effect the sniper rifle use that it makes any other weapon pointless? I really like nice revolvers and machine pistols, and I've been holding onto quite a few (sadly though, way beyond his level right now at 55 and up)

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Actually with my hunter his ultimate weapon was the Pestilent Revolver. High damage and 4x corrosive, coupled with a good assassin class mod for extra corrosive damage. I could run into any fight and win with super fast reloads and chaotic health healing.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Actually with my hunter his ultimate weapon was the Pestilent Revolver. High damage and 4x corrosive, coupled with a good assassin class mod for extra corrosive damage. I could run into any fight and win with super fast reloads and chaotic health healing.

I have a Pestilent Defiler that I'm waiting to be able to use:

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/576671718682921019/D8AD1ABC8D00FC62E2BEBB0E39C69F49FAA97DD5/

I've seen some of the Assassin class mods for the Hunter, but I haven't found any with a good Corrosive Chance bonus. Right now, I'm actually using a Survivor class mod, because it's actually quite good all-around:

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/576671718682947237/D96B23E283CCE131FA3DE73D4602117548FA29B2/

+16% damage to any weapon type and +4 health regen? Not too shabby for a crappy green!

EDIT:

I know what you mean, Zin... the Siren really spoils you! I actually went up the Sniper tree first just to deal with those Eridian mobs easier. Although, thinking about it... I could have just respec'd before I went to the Vault:

http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/mordecai/#11500550500000000000000

Last edited:

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I don't think any assassin class mods give a bonus to your corrosive proc chance. With the pestilent defiler, it basically starts the corrosive damage every time, and often spreads to surrounding enemies. Aim for the head for your hunter critical hit bonus, and you can wipe out everyone pretty easily. Corrosive is by far the easiest way to take out lance soldiers later in the game, and in Knoxx.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I don't think any assassin class mods give a bonus to your corrosive proc chance. With the pestilent defiler, it basically starts the corrosive damage every time, and often spreads to surrounding enemies. Aim for the head for your hunter critical hit bonus, and you can wipe out everyone pretty easily. Corrosive is by far the easiest way to take out lance soldiers later in the game, and in Knoxx.

According to the wiki entry, the Assassin class mod can...

http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Class_Mods#Hunter
+0% – +39% Corrosive Elemental Effect Chance
I actually just found two legendary revolvers in Treacher's Landing... one of them being a Pestilent Defiler (the other being one with ammo regen). I probably won't use the ammo regen unless I'm running out of ammo, because my Jakob's revolver is pretty OP for its level:

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/576671718683395351/DBE4E744BDF0DEC8A6FCF2E3D56411AAE983E6D5/

EDIT:

If you exclude the whole 2 round clip :p.

EDIT 2:

Sweet! I decided to check out the hidden chest in Rust Commons West, and it had a good class mod for me in it :)

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/576671718683428951/0B9B227D054641DFE56872C5C7FBCA279DB105D2/

Last edited:

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
My hunter kept one sniper rifle and 3 revolvers (pestilent defiler, electric shock and high damage + ammo regen.) And swapped between sniper class mod and assassin.

I just got waxed by General Knoxx with my Siren because I ran out of SMG ammo. I've only found one mod with ammo regen so far, and it was so much worse for SMG damage and elemental proc chance that it wasn't worthwhile...

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I just got waxed by General Knoxx with my Siren because I ran out of SMG ammo. I've only found one mod with ammo regen so far, and it was so much worse for SMG damage and elemental proc chance that it wasn't worthwhile...

If you really need one and don't mind not finding it yourself, I've got a few lying around that I save for other people (I doubt I'm going to make a second Siren :p).

But yeah, a Mercenary com is almost necessary if you're using a rapid fire SMG like a Double Anarchy. I can still run out of ammo with my com equipped if I'm in one of those circle of death fights (especially the lance ones).

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
If you really need one and don't mind not finding it yourself, I've got a few lying around that I save for other people (I doubt I'm going to make a second Siren :p).

But yeah, a Mercenary com is almost necessary if you're using a rapid fire SMG like a Double Anarchy. I can still run out of ammo with my com equipped if I'm in one of those circle of death fights (especially the lance ones).

Yeah I try to use the Hellfire SMG and just fire a few shots, letting the fire damage do the work for me so I can save ammunition.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I'm sitting on a +17 ammo regen Mercenary Mod that is useless to me. Not sure what the other stats are, but it isn't complete.

trying to kill the big claptrap thingy--what the hell is this??

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Yeah I try to use the Hellfire SMG and just fire a few shots, letting the fire damage do the work for me so I can save ammunition.

Wouldn't the Hellfire SMG be weak on Knoxx because he's a heavily armored (mechanical) unit?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Wouldn't the Hellfire SMG be weak on Knoxx because he's a heavily armored (mechanical) unit?

from what I can tell, Knoxx is invulnerable to the elemental proc, or whatever that is called. at least the Knoxx-claps are.

I've also found that critical hits stun him, and will force him to retreat from firing his laser cannon or launching into the air. I just aim a high accuracy SMG at his head and do not hold back. With fast reload, you can pretty much keep him perpetually stunned. ....at least, 1/5 or so health at a time.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

Yeah I meant for everything else in the game. For Knoxx it's best to use a high damage weapon for critical hits since it basically keeps him stunned and out of action. He's invulnerable to elemental procs.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Yeah I meant for everything else in the game. For Knoxx it's best to use a high damage weapon for critical hits since it basically keeps him stunned and out of action. He's invulnerable to elemental procs.

Ah, that's going to be fun with how many elemental items I'm using on my Hunter right now :p. I learned the hard way on Skagzilla that I'd need to keep a good non-elemental revolver around.

Hopeless

Golden Member
Oct 29, 2004
I've been slowly playing my Hunter, but I'm actually trying to focus on machine pistols/revolvers over sniper rifle. Maybe that's dumb, I don't know, But I'm not always into spending too much time staying far back and picking everything off. <snip>

Not dumb at all, at least not to me as I focused on pistols with my hunter as well.

On mine I did take some skills from the Sniper tree though:
Focus & Caliber - 5 each to get futher into tree
5 in Killer for on kill +40% dmg & +30% reload speed that is good with all guns
5 in Trespass mainly for 100% chance to ignore shields and +5% dmg is a nice kicker.

The good & bad of Trespass is bullet dmg goes right off health, but if using an elemental gun the DoT goes to shield dmg at least before the last patch that raised the level cap. This makes the aliens a breeze to kill as they have real strong shields but not alot of health.

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Hey how about soliders huh? Let's talk about that class...what's everyone specced there?

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Hey how about soliders huh? Let's talk about that class...what's everyone specced there?

An ammo turret is key to your survival as a soldier. I have a level 69 soldier, but I played him from lvl 1 to lvl 69 with another soldier, so he's not very good at soloing...

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
So, do the sniper talents for Hunter so drastically effect the sniper rifle use that it makes any other weapon pointless? I really like nice revolvers and machine pistols, and I've been holding onto quite a few (sadly though, way beyond his level right now at 55 and up)

No, the hunter when fully speced into pistols and with a gunslinger mod with decent +ROF is quite powerful. I think it is better then the sniper spec. You get a lot of the best of both worlds since you can get accurate enough with revolvers to use them as sniper rifles, and still switch to a machine pistol and pump out some serious ammo for unbelievable damage.

What to try something fun, fully spec into bloodwing and see just how much damage you can pump out with out even using a weapon. Bloodwing can become a virtual 'I Win' button.

Hopeless

Golden Member
Oct 29, 2004

I don't have updated specs, but here is what I they were last time I made notes (at lvl 61 with extra pts from moxxies):

Hunter (Gunslinger)
Sniper
Focus - 5
Caliber - 5
Killer - 5
Trespass - 5

Rogue
Swift strike - 5
Fast hands - 3
Out for blood - 5

Gunslinger
Deadly - 5
Gun crazy - 5
Riotous remedy - 5
Hair trigger - 5
Relentless - 5

Siren (Mercenary)
Controller
Diva - 5
Inner glow - 5
Hard to get - 3
Girl power - 3 or 4 (Last pt here or Silent resolve)
Mind games - 1

Elemental
Quicksilver - 5
Spark - 5
Radiance - 5
Phoenix - 5

Assassin
Slayer - 5
Silent resolve - 3 or 4 (Last pt here or Girl power)
Hit & run - 5
High velocity - 5
Blackout - 2

Soldier (Rifleman, Commando & Support gunner)
Infantry
Impact - 5
Scattershot - 5
Metal storm - 5
Assault - 4

Support
Defense - 5
Quick charge - 3
Barrage - 5
Grenadier - 1
Deploy - 5

Medic
Fitness - 5
Aid station - 5
Overload - 5
Stat - 5

My siren is the only one I've gotten to level 69 so far and I'm not positive what changes I did to her along the way.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
yeah, I've wondered about Bloodwing. Aikouka and I were chatting in-game yesterday, and it seems to me that Bloodwing is so damn useless--unless you pump a shit load of points into it.

Siren has conditioned my response to: "OH SHIT--F BUTTON!" that doesn't work with Hunter, lol. certainly not up to level 11, anyway.

I plan on focusing on Gunslinger for a spell to get the healing talent up, and for assassin, I'm looking at the increased accuracy and then reload talents, iirc.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I don't have updated specs, but here is what I they were last time I made notes (at lvl 61 with extra pts from moxxies):

kewl. I tried finding this stuff in the forums, again, but it's impossible to search without creating an account there--seriously, try to use the search feature as a guest. It's hilarious.

anyway, the extra skill points are:
Moxxie PT1 and PT 2
Claptrap PT1 and PT2

for a total of 4 extra skill points beyond those allowed for a level 69 character?

I died so many freaking times on the Super Ninja Assassin bot thingy (the first, giant machine), then realized that a caustic SMG utterly destroys it if aimed at the eye--and it doesn't need to be that accurate. --anyway, not looking forward to repeating some of these. :\ (at least PT1 will be super easy)

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I actually had a lot of trouble on my Hunter yesterday doing the... Circle of Death (the one in Rust Commons: West). I was on the last stage and I just can't beat the two Badass Bruisers. On my Siren, it's a joke because of how much Mind Games affects an enemy's rate of fire, and on my Soldier, I just deployed a turret to keep one of them busy while I killed the other one.

With my Hunter, I can't really use cover, because the one on the other side will just start shooting me from behind. Although, thinking about it now... I might be able to try running to the other side of the map. This may help since those tough mobs spawn on the immediate left and right, and by using the other side of the map, I'd get some good distance on them (about the equivalent of them spawning far away). Although, there are other mobs (on the far side of the map) that I'd have to take care of as well :\.

The good & bad of Trespass is bullet dmg goes right off health, but if using an elemental gun the DoT goes to shield dmg at least before the last patch that raised the level cap. This makes the aliens a breeze to kill as they have real strong shields but not alot of health.

That's the one thing I noticed pretty quickly when on my Hunter... it was almost worthless to even use my elemental weapons, because Trespass + Normal Weapon = 1-shot (usually). If not, it took the same number of hits as it did because the procs were wasted on the shields.

Although, it is rather fun hearing the midgets scream as their body turns to ooze! :twisted:

EDIT:

Hmm, I find the lack of points in Mind Games slightly disturbing. Mostly because there are times, even being 5/5, that the slowing effect will drop off a mob for a few seconds. This would most likely get even worse with a lower proc chance. This is with a Double Anarchy as well.

Last edited:

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
yeah, I've wondered about Bloodwing. Aikouka and I were chatting in-game yesterday, and it seems to me that Bloodwing is so damn useless--unless you pump a shit load of points into it.

Siren has conditioned my response to: "OH SHIT--F BUTTON!" that doesn't work with Hunter, lol. certainly not up to level 11, anyway.

I plan on focusing on Gunslinger for a spell to get the healing talent up, and for assassin, I'm looking at the increased accuracy and then reload talents, iirc.

If you don't want to spend many points into Bloodwing can still be good with just the first skill that ups his damage and a explosive relic (optionally lightning before Tresspass). He is not an OH SHIT button, but more of a damage buff that you use every time he comes up. With the skills that reduces his cooldown you will be able to use him a lot.

I actually had a lot of trouble on my Hunter yesterday doing the... Circle of Death (the one in Rust Commons: West).
Sniper hunters have to get good at hit and run, and getting head shots on the move. Even then some situations can be challenging, that is why I think the gunslinger hunter is much more powerful.

That's the one thing I noticed pretty quickly when on my Hunter... it was almost worthless to even use my elemental weapons, because Trespass + Normal Weapon = 1-shot (usually). If not, it took the same number of hits as it did because the procs were wasted on the shields.
Yup, once you get 5/5 in Tresspass you just want to find the best damage non-elemental weapon you can find, with a corrosive as backup.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I use a (IIRC) 1x zoom sniper rifle that does around 800 damage, 200&#37; critical. With my skill points, it has a 25 round magazine and a fire rate of 3.4. It works at long range, it works at short range.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Sniper hunters have to get good at hit and run, and getting head shots on the move. Even then some situations can be challenging, that is why I think the gunslinger hunter is much more powerful

Hmm, what I've noticed is that the amount of sway while sniping seems to be almost variable. Sometimes, I have no sway at all and other times, the sway is so bad that I can barely hit a target (unless it's kind of big). The is usually when I'm not even being shot at or anything of the sort... I'm just standing or crouching.

I don't know if it's the accuracy... I believe my Sniper Rifle has about ~97 accuracy, but I've missed a few head shots on guys that were standing still, yet I can head shot a running target pretty consistently :hmm:. I actually have a similar issue with my corrosive revolver... the variance in the shot is incredibly bad and it's a ~93% accuracy. It's not like I'm trying to snipe with it either... although, I did try hitting a turret with it at range... that was a bit laughable... especially since it doesn't have a scope :p.