Borderlands DLC playthrough order?

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hopeless

Golden Member
Oct 29, 2004
kewl. I tried finding this stuff in the forums, again, but it's impossible to search without creating an account there--seriously, try to use the search feature as a guest. It's hilarious.

anyway, the extra skill points are:
Moxxie PT1 and PT 2
Claptrap PT1 and PT2

for a total of 4 extra skill points beyond those allowed for a level 69 character?

I died so many freaking times on the Super Ninja Assassin bot thingy (the first, giant machine), then realized that a caustic SMG utterly destroys it if aimed at the eye--and it doesn't need to be that accurate. --anyway, not looking forward to repeating some of these. :\ (at least PT1 will be super easy)

I'm actually playing on xbox but I check both the PC & Console threads as there is good info in both for this game.

For Moxxie it's the small arena prove yourself mission that you have to do for
the extra point on each PT. Doing the large arenas only give achievements.

For Claptrap you have to go through the whole set of story missions for the extra point on each PT.

Correct these skill points are in addition to what you earn for going up in level.

I don't use bloodwing much but by increasing his damage it syncs with Out for blood to give you a regenerating health potion along with at the least softing up an enemy.

I actually had a lot of trouble on my Hunter yesterday doing the... Circle of Death (the one in Rust Commons: West). I was on the last stage and I just can't beat the two Badass Bruisers. On my Siren, it's a joke because of how much Mind Games affects an enemy's rate of fire, and on my Soldier, I just deployed a turret to keep one of them busy while I killed the other one.

With my Hunter, I can't really use cover, because the one on the other side will just start shooting me from behind. Although, thinking about it now... I might be able to try running to the other side of the map. This may help since those tough mobs spawn on the immediate left and right, and by using the other side of the map, I'd get some good distance on them (about the equivalent of them spawning far away). Although, there are other mobs (on the far side of the map) that I'd have to take care of as well :\.

That's the one thing I noticed pretty quickly when on my Hunter... it was almost worthless to even use my elemental weapons, because Trespass + Normal Weapon = 1-shot (usually). If not, it took the same number of hits as it did because the procs were wasted on the shields.

Although, it is rather fun hearing the midgets scream as their body turns to ooze! :twisted:

EDIT:

Hmm, I find the lack of points in Mind Games slightly disturbing. Mostly because there are times, even being 5/5, that the slowing effect will drop off a mob for a few seconds. This would most likely get even worse with a lower proc chance. This is with a Double Anarchy as well.

I only put 1 in it as I have high RoF Hellfire & DA. With My Merc mod of +3 to Quicksilver that brings the bonus to +40% RoF. A 12 RoF becomes ~17 with every bullet having the same chance to stun. IIRC the only thing adding more points does is rise the chance of the stun happening not the amount of time it lasts.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
thanks. I actually meant the gearbox/borderlands forums. I have found the info before, but it's kind of a mess there. I've avoided the wiki b/c everyone says that it is mostly inaccurate.

I tried to use search, and as a guest, you have to do two verifications

1: captcha
2: question: "what month was Borderlands released?" or..."Who is the sound designer for DLC3 of Borderlands?" etc...

lol, wtf.

Hopeless

Golden Member
Oct 29, 2004
thanks. I actually meant the gearbox/borderlands forums. I have found the info before, but it's kind of a mess there. I've avoided the wiki b/c everyone says that it is mostly inaccurate.

I tried to use search, and as a guest, you have to do two verifications

1: captcha
2: question: "what month was Borderlands released?" or..."Who is the sound designer for DLC3 of Borderlands?" etc...

lol, wtf.

I figured you were talking about a different forum, but just throwing out there about the thread(s) in the console section that have some good info for it also.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I figured you were talking about a different forum, but just throwing out there about the thread(s) in the console section that have some good info for it also.

Oh I appreciate it. I've mostly ignored the console forums here, heh. I'll check it out.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Hmm, what I've noticed is that the amount of sway while sniping seems to be almost variable. Sometimes, I have no sway at all and other times, the sway is so bad that I can barely hit a target (unless it's kind of big). The is usually when I'm not even being shot at or anything of the sort... I'm just standing or crouching.

I don't know if it's the accuracy... I believe my Sniper Rifle has about ~97 accuracy, but I've missed a few head shots on guys that were standing still, yet I can head shot a running target pretty consistently :hmm:. I actually have a similar issue with my corrosive revolver... the variance in the shot is incredibly bad and it's a ~93% accuracy. It's not like I'm trying to snipe with it either... although, I did try hitting a turret with it at range... that was a bit laughable... especially since it doesn't have a scope :p.

That is actually a bug that I've discovered. When your sway is out of control, just open up your inventory, or map, or objectives, then go back to the game. Boom, your sway is gone. I don't know what causes it.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I only put 1 in it as I have high RoF Hellfire & DA. With My Merc mod of +3 to Quicksilver that brings the bonus to +40% RoF. A 12 RoF becomes ~17 with every bullet having the same chance to stun. IIRC the only thing adding more points does is rise the chance of the stun happening not the amount of time it lasts.

Yes, it raises the chance per bullet, which in turn can alter the amount of time the enemy is slowed for. If you're really unlucky, the Mind Games effect may not proc at all, which as I mentioned, it has happened to me with 5/5. It's not terribly common, which makes sense given the number of bullets fired compared to the chance to proc on each bullet, but it can occur. Whether this will severely harm you or not is also up in the air. Usually it won't since it's only maybe 1-2s without the slowing effect.

dust

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2008
I actually had a lot of trouble on my Hunter yesterday doing the... Circle of Death (the one in Rust Commons: West). I was on the last stage and I just can't beat the two Badass Bruisers. On my Siren, it's a joke because of how much Mind Games affects an enemy's rate of fire, and on my Soldier, I just deployed a turret to keep one of them busy while I killed the other one.

With my Hunter, I can't really use cover, because the one on the other side will just start shooting me from behind. Although, thinking about it now... I might be able to try running to the other side of the map. This may help since those tough mobs spawn on the immediate left and right, and by using the other side of the map, I'd get some good distance on them (about the equivalent of them spawning far away). Although, there are other mobs (on the far side of the map) that I'd have to take care of as well :\.

That's the one thing I noticed pretty quickly when on my Hunter... it was almost worthless to even use my elemental weapons, because Trespass + Normal Weapon = 1-shot (usually). If not, it took the same number of hits as it did because the procs were wasted on the shields.

Although, it is rather fun hearing the midgets scream as their body turns to ooze! :twisted:

EDIT:

Hmm, I find the lack of points in Mind Games slightly disturbing. Mostly because there are times, even being 5/5, that the slowing effect will drop off a mob for a few seconds. This would most likely get even worse with a lower proc chance. This is with a Double Anarchy as well.

Depending on your character level at the time you start the last fight in the arena, use incendiary sniper/repeater with very high elemental chance on the two Bruisers that spawn on your right, that should drop them pretty quick, before the two on the left reach too close. The rest should be easier, especially if you go always for the bruisers first and keep running from the midgets. Transfusion might also be a good idea for this fight and you may want to load incendiary on Bloodwing as well.

If the difficulty is Tough you have to really choose the targets, leave the melee ones for last as you are probably going to need a Second Wind or two. I've done it only once while under-leveled and I'll never do it again. Just get it when it's normal difficulty.

dust

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2008
^One thing that I hate sometimes about the game is that you never have the chance to redo some of the stuff, without starting a new playthrough. That's probably the idea!

It's just a matter of having the right weapons at the time of a certain mission.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
This post made me redownload the game from Steam onto the new PC and play it tonight.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
This skill tree calculator allows for the current level as well as the extra points from Moxxi & Claptrap.
http://87bazillion.com/skillcalculator/

I believe that the chance of dazing effects applies to enemies the same level, & gets worse against higher level enemies, but my memory might be incorrect.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I think I read this somewhere, but either my "Hyperion reward mission" (loot the basement after defeating Claptrap) is either bugged or I'm happily in the normal and known exploit.

The basement is restocked after restarting and neglecting to to turn in the mission. Or, is it always restocked on every restart, even after turning in the mission?

anyway, not much of anything but to sell to the machines, though Zed's vendor did provide me with yet another max Merc Mod. :D

SO...if anyone is wanting for a 60%, 3/4/3, +29 Merc mod (I think it's ~ lvl55?), I'll be happy to give it away. (I've replaced this with a 60%, 3/3/4, +29)

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
I think I read this somewhere, but either my "Hyperion reward mission" (loot the basement after defeating Claptrap) is either bugged or I'm happily in the normal and known exploit.

The basement is restocked after restarting and neglecting to to turn in the mission. Or, is it always restocked on every restart, even after turning in the mission?

anyway, not much of anything but to sell to the machines, though Zed's vendor did provide me with yet another max Merc Mod. :D

SO...if anyone is wanting for a 60%, 3/4/3, +29 Merc mod (I think it's ~ lvl55?), I'll be happy to give it away. (I've replaced this with a 60%, 3/3/4, +29)

The basement is always restocked when you load a new game.
It allows for farming it legitimately, though sadly the quality of loot isn't as high there as it is in Knoxx's Armory overall.

Also, i'm curious why you'd replace your +4 HV with +4 GP.
High Velocity or Quicksilver is what you want in +4 (IMHO +4 in HV > QS > GP ) :p

Mercenary%20Class%20Mod%20(2).png

Mercenary%20Class%20Mod%20(3).png

Keeper

Mar 9, 2005
WOW... OK, I have read this thread a few times... Playing now, just hit level 6.
Is there an order and "Levels" I should be looking at the DLC that came with the GOTY edition?
Between here and Gearbox forums, I am confused if I need to play through at least ONCE before DLC is avail.
I am used to games like Dragon Quest where I can jump into the DLC when I "Meet the merchant".

Please give your suggested levels and order of DLC please.
And do I have to play it through ONCE to unlock the DLC.

LOL One side note.
I think I am playing too streamlined. Met 9-toes last night. COMPLETE OWNAGE. Underline complete. 4 times. I grew sad and frustrated and went out killing Skags... Level up to level 5. Lamneted, went back. OWNED but closer. On of the load screens "If there is a Skull in your sights you should avoid that enemy. LOL at level 6 9-toes is STILL a skull to me. No wonder ownage at level 4 (well that and I suck. I know I am NOT playing my sniper right. Where IS that instruction book lol)!!!!
Off to kill MANY Skags & bandits tonight.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
You need to do more of the side quests until difficulty for the mission is no longer "impossible." Frankly I don't know why you wouldn't do the side quests anyway; they're what make the game fun.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The basement is always restocked when you load a new game.
It allows for farming it legitimately, though sadly the quality of loot isn't as high there as it is in Knoxx's Armory overall.

Also, i'm curious why you'd replace your +4 HV with +4 GP.
High Velocity or Quicksilver is what you want in +4 (IMHO +4 in HV > QS > GP ) :p

Mercenary%20Class%20Mod%20%282%29.png

Mercenary%20Class%20Mod%20%283%29.png

I debated this too, of course. I still have them both (no takers yet). I think I'm opting for greater survivability, though I already tend to think that faster death on target = best survivability for me. ...but that's not what Marcus says! :D

I'm gonna try out 4 on Girl Power for a bit and see how it goes.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
WOW... OK, I have read this thread a few times... Playing now, just hit level 6.
Is there an order and "Levels" I should be looking at the DLC that came with the GOTY edition?
Between here and Gearbox forums, I am confused if I need to play through at least ONCE before DLC is avail.
I am used to games like Dragon Quest where I can jump into the DLC when I "Meet the merchant".

Please give your suggested levels and order of DLC please.
And do I have to play it through ONCE to unlock the DLC.

LOL One side note.
I think I am playing too streamlined. Met 9-toes last night. COMPLETE OWNAGE. Underline complete. 4 times. I grew sad and frustrated and went out killing Skags... Level up to level 5. Lamneted, went back. OWNED but closer. On of the load screens "If there is a Skull in your sights you should avoid that enemy. LOL at level 6 9-toes is STILL a skull to me. No wonder ownage at level 4 (well that and I suck. I know I am NOT playing my sniper right. Where IS that instruction book lol)!!!!
Off to kill MANY Skags & bandits tonight.

what worked for me:

all of the side missions up until you kill Sledge, and head into the Dahl headlands. Then, do the various fragment hunt and claptrap rescue missions next to the story missions.

Then, Playthrough 2 entirely (starts ~lvl 31-36 or so), same thing.

Then, start the DLC--probably Knoxx (T-Bone Junction).

sounds crazy, and you don't have to do this if you don't mind being a raging arbiter of death after about 20 hours playtime and for the rest of that character. May still be a bit difficult as a Hunter, though. :\

You don't have to play it through once to open DLC--it is already available on your New-U station. for example--go straight to Moxxi, (Underdome), and open up the bank for storage. Don't start the actual arena though. The levels are a bit high, I think. Knoxx starts ~lvl 50, iirc.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I believe Knoxx is 35 (P1), and 52 (P2) or so.

I think a lot of it boils down to how you like to play. The thing about Borderlands is an enemy 3 levels higher than you is quite formidable, but an enemy lower level than you isn't that strong... although, I find enemies with high rate of fire automatic weapons (especially Badass Bruisers) to be harder than almost anything else. At least I've noticed that they tend to deal the most damage to my Hunter :p. But anyway... you will out-level the main storyline if you do everything. For example, I'm level 32 and a lot of the enemies I fight are 27-29.

So what I mentioned before, it all boils down to how you like to play. Do you mind the fact that the game is kinda easy with that level disparity? It's still fun running around blowing the heck out of everything, so it doesn't bother me much. I also don't really want to go back and do the DLCs on Playthrough 1 (after I already did them on Playthrough 2) just to get backpack space or some other rare reward. I'd rather do them where I'm at least close to the right level.

On my Siren, I did all of the side-missions in P1, DLC1 and DLC3 and I ended up at level 53 by the time I finished P2. So I did out-level it a little bit, but it actually wasn't that bad. The thing is, I started off at level 42 or so when I began P2, but since I was such a high level, I didn't gain much experience from kills. It eventually evened out quite a bit.

Keeper

Mar 9, 2005
OWNED 9 toes last night and his armored skags LOL.
I am finding that as was well re "above".
One level below me, as a hunter I am meleeing. 3 levels above me........ Transporter back from the dead LOL.
I am SO sorry I mised the "Heyday" of this game. The last 2 nights multiplayer seemed LOW :\

LOVE 9 toes Flame Gun (Which also adds 100% damage to Melee See above :thumbsup:)

Thanks guys for all the help. And keep the tips coming.

I can see all the "warnings" about being over powered..... Running back to town now is more of a nusance than fun. Killing Skag Whelps and pups...
Booooooring......

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I honestly don't think I'd want to play Borderlands with random people... any game with random drops and random people just makes for a really bad situation of loot whoring/ninjaing.

I ended up finishing the game on my Hunter last night. The Guardians were quite nice with Trespass ( ;) ) and I ended up finding a scoped dark-legendary (the dimmer bronze color) revolver with a high damage modifier (over +100%) and a 4x zoom! I was a little bummed when I noticed my newer incendiary revolver is only a 1x tech. I think I'll jump into Zombie Island for a little bit of zombie mayhem! Since I can't use corrosive guns, I guess I'll just switch my corrosive revolver to my legendary incendiary sniper rifle (I also found a com with sniper regen).

But all the different weapon types and coms... they just make me wish Borderland had the capability to do weapon sets rather than just switching between weapons. I'd like to be able to assign it to automatically equip my sniper com with the sniper rifle and the Gunslinger com with the revolvers.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
i believe that during co-op--everyone gets the same drops. what you see on your screen is what they see on theirs, and it's essentially your own reserved copy of the same items. same with chests.

well, that's how n7 explained it to me.

the loot increases in quality and amount the more people you team up with, to.

Keeper

Mar 9, 2005
You need to do more of the side quests until difficulty for the mission is no longer "impossible." Frankly I don't know why you wouldn't do the side quests anyway; they're what make the game fun.

There were LOTS of posts about being "god-like" for the last 30% of the game. I dont mind dying. Hate frustration. God mode (think back ala DOOM 1 LOL) =Booooring.

Like right now; walking back to town and offing Whelps and pups...
Is worse than a grind.

But, I am taking the game as a slice of enjoyment. IF I should level up to be too powerful for the bosses. Their tough luck. :sneaky:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
But, I am taking the game as a slice of enjoyment. IF I should level up to be too powerful for the bosses. Their tough luck. :sneaky:

After you do Skag Gully the two times, you get to use vehicles, so there really isn't much walking to and from outposts and such. You'll also get to run over said annoying skags, which is always a hoot! :D

EDIT:

Any Eridian weapons worth mentioning?

I've never found a single one that I'd consider using. I'm not sure, but I believe they don't take modifiers for specific weapon types even if they mirror said weapon types.