Borderlands DLC playthrough order?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
that's pretty neat, but what does it do for someone? is there an official mod package that we can use to put this together, or just the hacks that I've heard about?

is it DLC content that allows us to tinker?

I thought all of the guns were randomly spawned and you wouldn't really have any control over the makeup of weapons.

Well GearCalc is nice for parts enthusiasts who want to learn what components are in their favorite guns, or what to look for, etc.
I don't know how to create guns, but that's also possible with other programs.

overleveled my ass! I'm getting owned by skags, trying to do the side missions (Moe and Marley kick my ass) still on my way to Sledges hideout to get the key

I'm level 40 now, and according to the play-through FAQ, I should be around 42 when I hit New Haven? wtf.

granted, I'm still mostly using my guns from playthrough one: a lightening and incendiary SMG with ~35 damage, but the Malevolent Tediore with 50 damage, 12 fire rate, and 0.2 second reload as my primary (scoped, with 95 accuracy. love that gun).

the bonecrusher that dropped for me on this playthrough (whatever that gun is called--the boss outside of Fyrestone that has the module for Scooter's car bank) is pretty good: 70x2 damage, or thereabouts. eating up my ammo, though (only 8 regen on my COM).

I'm not finding good SMGs, at all, anywhere around here. After looking through the farming threads, it seems mostly chest running. Are there specific areas in the game where certain types of weapons are known to drop at higher rates? Like if I want a good Maliwan SMG with high elemental tech, or an Anarchy? Or is that only useful in the DLC?

one weird thing--the Mercenary COM that I use is still much better than anything else I have found, and it was around level 22 on my first PT: 42% SMG damage; 3/2/2, +8 Regen (Quicksilver, Girl power, High Velocity). It is rated level 16, and worth $16k according to my menu.

Everything else that I'm seeing now, is like level 25-30, maybe 35-40% (2/2) and 50% elemental damage. They are all in the $200-300k range.

From what I've seen, the stats on mine are rather high end compared to what people have been showing on the boards (the regen is low, though; but it's the only SMG regen that I've seen so far). Kind of a weird drop, no? I think I bought it at a vending machine, actually.

Bone Shredder...one rather cool thing about that drop is that there's a very slight chance for that gun to drop with the Savior body, giving it ammo regen :D
Very rare though...took me like 50 kills to get that, hehe.

As for finding good guns, it's rather random.
You can definitely hit up chests & vendors, & if you do it enough, at some point you'll get lucky.
Obviously there are the boss-specific drops as well.

As for good SMGs, each character has a slight weighting preference toward finding certain weapons anyway, & one of Lilith's is SMGs.

As for the COMs, there are a variety of components that make them up as well.
Most likely your good one is a 550/560 or 650/660, meaning it has all or most of the good parts.
You'll find lots of 2xx/3xx/4xx COMs, which aren't going to be as good

I haven't gotten into multiplayer yet, though. I don't know anyone else that plays. :( I've only heard that it is so much better multiplayer.

Well i'd love to play with you sometime.
What timezome are you in?
Also, you have Steam or Xfire? It's easier to find people there than having to load the game to see Gamespy friends online.

yep, seeing mostly nothing or +ele proc. far more zero effect than ele proc.

so, is it true that much better items drop during co-op?

Basically the more people playing, the better the odds of better loot, so yes.
Or, you can use a program to artificially make the game think there are more people in game to increase difficulty/loot.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I'm on steam. You accepted my invitation the other day, hehe. I'm on PCT, usually play late at night (11-1ish) and sometimes in the morning. like, nowish. ...which doesn't help to find people, heh.

also, I couldn't get the read-only trick to work on the save file to keep the game from autosaving. Maybe I'm doing it wrong? right-clicked on the save file, brought up properties, found permissions under Security tab, and clicked deny box next to "write"

game still saved when I exited and loaded. :\ this is Win7 pro 64bit

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Hmm, i work mornings weekdays, so that's generally too late, but weekends i am around, though it's going to be somewhat less so now that summer's almost here.

Give me a shout on Steam sometime, or i'll try to remember to.

I have some characters that aren't max level i could likely level up with you, or i'm always up for starting new chars.

As for read-only files i forget what the deal is.

I don't really farm at lower levels other than just to get somewhat better gear, since as you progress that lower level stuff becomes useless.

At level 69, I've done tons of Crawmerax/Armory farming since the return rates there far exceed anywhere else in the game.

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
also, I couldn't get the read-only trick to work on the save file to keep the game from autosaving. Maybe I'm doing it wrong? right-clicked on the save file, brought up properties, found permissions under Security tab, and clicked deny box next to "write"

game still saved when I exited and loaded. :\ this is Win7 pro 64bit

There should be an attributes section under the initial tab when you go to the file's properties. That section will include a check box for "read only".

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
There should be an attributes section under the initial tab when you go to the file's properties. That section will include a check box for "read only".

cool. I'll check that out some time later this evening.

n7: yeah, I work weekdays, too. I've just had sleep issues, lately. :D

plus, a somewhat flexible work schedule that generally lets me make my hours.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Or, you can use a program to artificially make the game think there are more people in game to increase difficulty/loot.

What program does that? I would love to be able to play in a 4 player mode with just me one other person. The game is easy enough that I feel that 2 players can get through the 4 player difficulty.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
What program does that? I would love to be able to play in a 4 player mode with just me one other person. The game is easy enough that I feel that 2 players can get through the 4 player difficulty.

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showpost.php?p=2032616&postcount=109

Note: you'll need to re-run the app each time you load a game, & you cannot pause the game as it now assumes you have either 2,3, or 4 people playing.

This definitely increases the challenge, & for things like farming Craw, results in a lot more items being dropped :)

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showpost.php?p=2032616&postcount=109

Note: you'll need to re-run the app each time you load a game, & you cannot pause the game as it now assumes you have either 2,3, or 4 people playing.

This definitely increases the challenge, & for things like farming Craw, results in a lot more items being dropped :)

Thank you!
I'm at work right now and can't follow the link. Does it allow me to set up a multiplayer game with only 2 people and have the game think there are 4 people playing? That would be idea for me since most of the time I play with one other person and we would like it to be more challenging, also better drops!

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Thank you!
I'm at work right now and can't follow the link. Does it allow me to set up a multiplayer game with only 2 people and have the game think there are 4 people playing? That would be idea for me since most of the time I play with one other person and we would like it to be more challenging, also better drops!

Yup.

You'll need to set it to 3 people initially, then have your friend join, who'll be the "fourth"

It doesn't work if there is more than one person in the game already.

makken

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2004
K, so a couple things I've noticed in playthrough 2:

-don't ram stuff. I must have killed myself at least 20 times accidentally ramming badasses in my car :(

-turrets are a pain. back in PT1 i had an explosive sniper rifle that would take down turrets in 2 to 3 shots. now its taking me like 30 shots with a sniper rifle to take one down. and rocket launchers / longbow grenades seem to just tickle them

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
-turrets are a pain. back in PT1 i had an explosive sniper rifle that would take down turrets in 2 to 3 shots. now its taking me like 30 shots with a sniper rifle to take one down. and rocket launchers / longbow grenades seem to just tickle them

I get them pretty quickly with a SMG with decent accuracy and a good zoom. Mind Games makes them easier since they can be affected and will shoot slower.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I get them pretty quickly with a SMG with decent accuracy and a good zoom. Mind Games makes them easier since they can be affected and will shoot slower.

yeah. I like corrosive sniper rifle for turrets, then a good 2.3x, high damage, high accuracy (malevolent/vicious) SMG to finish them off if I get bored with sniping.

and yeppers, I've been exploding myself plowing the buggy into badass spiderants. haha.

oh, picked up another amo regen Merc COM. this one is +17. :eek: no high velocity, though. :(

I think it's 38%, 3/2, 17 regen. maybe 2/2. was 1.2mil Item of the day. I decided to buy it. I think I'll stick to the elemental Merc COM, or maybe Plague, then switch to my regen when needed.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
K, so a couple things I've noticed in playthrough 2:

-don't ram stuff. I must have killed myself at least 20 times accidentally ramming badasses in my car :(

Yeah it's pretty funny how running into really high level guys actually results in the car exploding :awe:

I hate turrets too.
My best friends against turrets are phasewalking right by them ftw, or corrosive weapons.

Initially fire is easily the best element you want in this game, but as things progress, corrosive becomes the most valuable overall i'd say, though it doesn't work well against certain dudes in Knoxx.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
allrighty. so I finished Knoxx in PT2 and just finished the zombie Island stuff in PT2. Moxxie appears to just be arena battles. Are there any real missions here?

One thing--I finished, but have yet to turn in the mission for Loot Larceny--the one where you raid the armory after killing Knoxx. is there someway to get back in there? I've read that editing with Willowtree might be the only way? Or do you get in every time you kill Knoxx, just have to go through the timer?

the now-scaled PT2 is rather tough. I was trying to run through Treacher's landing and was getting pounded by a bunch of badasses. One thing, I never seem to run out of ammo regen COM drops, lol. A weapons locker (the actual locker--not a vending machine) next to the abandoned bounty board in Rust Commons East dropped this little bad boy on PT 2.5 ("2.5" is just going back through PT2 to complete all the skipped missions, correct?):

Merc
60% SMG dmg; 3/4/3; 29 Regen. :D

and thanks for all of the in-game help so far, n7.
:thumbsup:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I've decided to "beat" the silly lack of teleporters in the DLC by simply only exiting out of Borderlands when I'm back at the original town. It works rather well :p.

One thing--I finished, but have yet to turn in the mission for Loot Larceny--the one where you raid the armory after killing Knoxx. is there someway to get back in there? I've read that editing with Willowtree might be the only way? Or do you get in every time you kill Knoxx, just have to go through the timer?

Unless Gearbox fixed it, you can actually cheese the physics and drop yourself into the weapons cache without even starting the timer. I did this a lot during playthrough 1, but I haven't tried it yet since I haven't finished it yet on P2.

the now-scaled PT2 is rather tough. I was trying to run through Treacher's landing and was getting pounded by a bunch of badasses. One thing, I never seem to run out of ammo regen COM drops, lol. A weapons locker (the actual locker--not a vending machine) next to the abandoned bounty board in Rust Commons East dropped this little bad boy on PT 2.5 ("2.5" is just going back through PT2 to complete all the skipped missions, correct?):

Merc
60% SMG dmg; 3/4/3; 29 Regen. :D

Ugh... so lucky! I'm still using the one that I found way back on Zed's P1! I'd love to find a new Double Anarchy as well.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
zinfamous, yeah Moxxi is just arena crap. I take it you did not do any research on the DLC, lol.

Jules

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm down for borderlands I have all the dlc and couple of characters at around 15-19. I'm on steam under the name tfspike

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
You definitely want to turn in Loot Larcenary! :)

There are other missions that become available after you turn that one in.

Marcus will give you two more chances to go into the Armory again: Super-Marcus Sweep & then It's Like Christmas!.

If you want to be able to glitch into the Armory forever, just don't do the It's Like Christmas! one until you know how to glitch in & avoid the room that locks you out.
Youtube has lots of examples.
http://www.youtube.com/results?sear...et+armory+glitches&aq=0m&oq=secret+armory+gli

I'd also be happy to give you the Armory tour.

And if you're level 69, we definitely need to go visit Crawmerax :D

Give me a shout next evening you are on & we'll go visit some of the finer farming places Knoxx has to offer :D

Keeper

Mar 9, 2005
Sooooo... Its good to see that people are still playing this in MP.
Easy questions. I have Steam. Used it years ago with HL2 rage.
I just bought this game in Best Buy. Will I be able to get multiplayer friends on Steam?
Is the single-player any fun? Or is it an afterthought comared to MP?
I missed the first go round of this game, and well, here I am. I asked my kids if they still play They all had Xbox. (Check other posts... I be an OLD guy LOL)
Nope. Been there, done that I was told.
So I didnt buy the Xbox version as I know I have not re-upped Xbox live in a bit.
So I figured with the casual approach I will take, may as well do the PC.

Anyway, please give me your opinions. And I will look up my Steam ID and let you guys know it for a potential session.

Keeper

Mar 9, 2005
OK, what did I just get myself into. I saw some references to multiple play-throughs. I wennt OK, some people do that.
I clicked a link, somewhere above in this forum. Went to a website. This line screams at me.

Playthrough 2 is really the keystone to everything subsequent. Think of PT 1 as the introduction, and PT 2 as the real meat of the game. You'll get a better feel for your character, and start to specialize and make your build distinct.
Plus, completing PT 2 enables the global scaling for the main game, DLC1 and DLC 4.

I gotta play this thing thru twice?
Whachu talkin 'bout Willis?

UNLESS you are telling me this is a 5 hour SP game.
Seal is not broken LOL. Please advise as soon as you can.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
You don't have to play through the game twice... it's simply harder the second time around. The playthroughs are also linked, so you save your level, items, etc.

The multiplayer in Borderlands is handled through Gamespy, so regardless of how you play the game, you can play with others.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
zinfamous, yeah Moxxi is just arena crap. I take it you did not do any research on the DLC, lol.

it was all included in GOTY edition recently. I've been reading the forums extensively, about doing which one in which order, and some of the info is a bit vague as it assume most people ahve played through the game.

at least most of the more recent and updated info. I haven't found anything that really details the specifics of the DLC--story and what to expect. I've mostly been looking for info regarding which ones offer SDUs and such.

I went to Moxxi before finishing the first PT just to get to the bank, but never started it until after PT2, Knoxx, Zombie Island. I gathered that she was all about arena, just figured there might also be some missions involved.

So, yes--I've done "extensive" research. But one is limited by the quality and type of info.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I've decided to "beat" the silly lack of teleporters in the DLC by simply only exiting out of Borderlands when I'm back at the original town. It works rather well :p.

Unless Gearbox fixed it, you can actually cheese the physics and drop yourself into the weapons cache without even starting the timer. I did this a lot during playthrough 1, but I haven't tried it yet since I haven't finished it yet on P2.

Ugh... so lucky! I'm still using the one that I found way back on Zed's P1! I'd love to find a new Double Anarchy as well.

yeah, I used my level 16 COM all the way through PT2 for the most part. though I've found others with +18 regen and now this near-max one.

You can have them, if you want. I also have a 4x 114 anarchy if you want, but I imagine yours are a bit higher level? I'm using a 4x140 right now.

glad to discover that Bonehead respawns without "cheating." recently nabbed a 2x151 Bone Shredder from him.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
OK, what did I just get myself into. I saw some references to multiple play-throughs. I wennt OK, some people do that.
I clicked a link, somewhere above in this forum. Went to a website. This line screams at me.

Playthrough 2 is really the keystone to everything subsequent. Think of PT 1 as the introduction, and PT 2 as the real meat of the game. You'll get a better feel for your character, and start to specialize and make your build distinct.
Plus, completing PT 2 enables the global scaling for the main game, DLC1 and DLC 4.

I gotta play this thing thru twice?
Whachu talkin 'bout Willis?

UNLESS you are telling me this is a 5 hour SP game.
Seal is not broken LOL. Please advise as soon as you can.

As far as purchasing at Best Buy--did you get the GOTY edition and how much did you pay? For me, $20-30 for GOTY (With all 4 DLC) is well worth it. This game truly shines in the DLC, one of the few games out there were you get serious content in the DLC.

Also, it depends on what kind of game you like.
First, do you like FPS? that's a good start.
are you more of a COD FPS? if so, then probably not your thing.
The replay value in this game is that it is a loot-heavy RPG style game. Meaning, you have 4 classes of characters to choose from, each with unique abilities that you can choose and improve as you level up. Each have weapon preferences, and weapon skills increase as you use each particular weapon class.
loot--if you enjoy the Diablo-like loot farming type games, then you will enjoy this. The random loot dropping system is, I think, why people really get into this type of game.

as others have mentioned and now from my recent experience, the 2nd playthrough is mostly to play at higher difficulties and as it appears the game was kind of screwed through its leveling system, it takes the 2nd playthrough and one of the DLC completed to unlock game-wide level scaling.

unfortunately, you should skip a lot of the side missions during first playthrough unless you want to be super overpowered during the final 30% of the main game, or any DLC if you choose to do it in your first play through.

It's all your decision of course.

I've played maybe 98% single player and have had a blast. Only recently, n7 helped me out a bit blasting through the final mission for my 2nd play through and a bit more, I think.

But, even if you skip many of the side missions, the main game is at least 10 hours, I think. probably closer to 15. the DLC is well worth it at about 5 hours each. again, probably more. (thsi is assuming you aren't overpowered, I guess).

I've played through twice, left maybe 60% of missions in both playthroughs incomplete, finished 2/4 DLC...and I'm about 80 hours into it, lol.

I haven't exactly been farming, either. and this is using just one character.

Last edited:

makken

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2004
K, so I finished up PT2 and knoxx. also did quite a few farmory runs via the 'glitch' =X Working on Zombie island now.

I found some pretty good weapons from the armory (found a very good hellfire SMG and a Crux shotgun (the one that shoots in a cross pattern) -- those 2 are making short work of zombies) but I can't seem to find a decent shield for the life of me. Still using a blue high capacity shield with a slow regen.

I can't seem to find any good corrosive or shock SMGs though. I have some nice corrosive revolvers and shock sniper rifles, but I can never find good SMGs with those elements

edit: and for some reason, after a few missions in Zombie Island, I have this random urge to play counterstrike source. I haven't touched that game in years >.<