At least five dead in shooting at PA Amish school

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Specop 007
You can say its all political crap all you want but I ask you, name 1 school shooting that happened 40 years ago. One that happened 30 years ago. One that happened 20 years ago.

40 - Charles Whitman, UT tower
30 - Brenda Spencer, San Diego elementary school
20 - James Kearbey, Goddard, KS

I can keep going with more if you'd like.

jdini76

Platinum Member
Mar 16, 2001
Originally posted by: KK
Originally posted by: Fern
Originally posted by: jdini76

I don't think they hunt. They have Farms and therefore have live stock. And People who are normal don't generaly hunt nowadays. I consider myself normal and I don't hunt.

That's a ridiculous statement. :roll:

I don't hunt.

I'm not sure how to interpret jdini76 post. Does he mean that more people these days don't hunt or does he mean that you got to be mentally fvcked in the head to hunt. I hope its the first one.

Its definatly the first. I am using normal in the terms of common, and usual sense. that quote was taken out of context from a reply I made to someone else.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: loup garou
You can say its all political crap all you want but I ask you, name 1 school shooting that happened 40 years ago. One that happened 30 years ago. One that happened 20 years ago.

No no, that was what I was looking for was examples. If you would find a few more in the 40-20 year range that'd be spiffy.

Now, how many have we had in the past 4 months?

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Tom
"name 1 school shooting that happened 40 years ago. "

The Texas Tower sniper. no shortage of people carrying guns in Texas either.

1 step at a time cactus.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

I don't think they hunt. They have Farms and therefore have live stock. And People who are normal don't generaly hunt nowadays. I consider myself normal and I don't hunt.

I don't hunt.

How is that rediculous?

And what are you saying when you state you don't hunt?

Definition of Normal: 1. conforming to the standard or the common type; usual; not abnormal; regular; natural.

IMO the common person doesn't hunt.

I don't know maybe this forum is comprised of mainly hunters. and I am the minority. I would say that 1% of my friends hunt. maybe 2% at most.

Jebus tap-dancing Christ! Yes, most people don't hunt. That's not what pontifex was saying. He was using "normal" to distinguish between Amish ("not normal") and non-Amish ("normal") people. SOME "normal" people hunt, SOME Amish people hunt.

I'd be willing to wager that Amish people hunt more than "normal" people do.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
I think people now are affected by the culture around them. They take in all the information, be it computers, internet, news, books etc. Now we have more information available for them to take in, and the information is easily accessible. Some of the weaker minded ones cannot handle all this. Plus, they may feel left out. All this combined may factor into what is happening. It is very sad.

slsmnaz

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2005

I don't hunt.

How is that rediculous?

And what are you saying when you state you don't hunt?

Definition of Normal: 1. conforming to the standard or the common type; usual; not abnormal; regular; natural.

IMO the common person doesn't hunt.

I don't know maybe this forum is comprised of mainly hunters. and I am the minority. I would say that 1% of my friends hunt. maybe 2% at most.

That's a very simple opinion based on your small sample. There are huge differences in accepted norms all over the US and in actual land available to hunt. Just because you don't know doesn't mean you have to come on here and make stupid claims. The conservation efforts in this country would be nowhere without hunters.

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Atheus
Originally posted by: keeleysam
Daayyyyyyamn, what is up with all these school shootings?

Someone put forth a theory. Its a stretch, but then again.....

Many people are leaving cities to get away. They come to Colorado or some other state you choose. They bring their warped libtard beliefs and spoiled kids. Kids go crazy, havent been raised properly and pow. You get a school shooting.

People these days cant raise kids. They just dont know how. We are reaping what we sow, thats all. Its sad yes, but maybe parents need to actually RAISE their kids and quit using some hippie libtard "I'm their friend" logic.

As I said, just a theory put forth from elsewhere. Its a stretch, but then again........

'libtard'? I seriously hope you are not suggesting the concept of liberalism has caused this shooting? Becuase that has to be the dumbest thing I've heard this year.

You cheapen the death of many by spouting your ridiculous politics.

Maybe they can use this (And the other incidents) to get CCW passed in the school.

Obviously making schoolsa "Gun free" zone is about the tardest of tard ideas you can come up with.

Oh yes, of course! We should give people in schools concealed weapons! Then there would be much fewer school shootings. Damn man, why didn't I think of that!

:disgust:

Yes, libtard. Where do you think all of our gun restrictions have come from? Aint the Repugs fella.
And while we're at it, why do you suppose kids do this crap? Because our current culture focuses on one thing. Do you feel good? Self esteem. NO ONE fails in school. As long as you feel good, its ok.
What happened to the days when you werent a ray of light, you werent the best? You were just another Joe, and if you step out of line you get your ass beat on? What happened to the days when you were held responsible for you, and no one is going to hold your hand and make sure nothing bad ever happens? What happened to the days when you werent the best, you werent special?

We have to face it, our culture is negatively affecting us! Until we realize that maybe this ongoing progressive thinking is HURTING us, this stuff will continue.

I'm not saying winding the clock back 1000 years in our thought processes and culture is the answer, but for damn sure what we're doing now surely isnt either.

And yes, let faculty carry guns. I ask again, whats your solution? Home schooling?

Respectfully disagree.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: raildogg
I think people now are affected by the culture around them. They take in all the information, be it computers, internet, news, books etc. Now we have more information available for them to take in, and the information is easily accessible. Some of the weaker minded ones cannot handle all this. Plus, they may feel left out. All this combined may factor into what is happening. It is very sad.

Plus those who want their 15 minutes of fame and do copy-cat stuff.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
Originally posted by: keeleysam
Daayyyyyyamn, what is up with all these school shootings?

Someone put forth a theory. Its a stretch, but then again.....

Many people are leaving cities to get away. They come to Colorado or some other state you choose. They bring their warped libtard beliefs and spoiled kids. Kids go crazy, havent been raised properly and pow. You get a school shooting.

People these days cant raise kids. They just dont know how. We are reaping what we sow, thats all. Its sad yes, but maybe parents need to actually RAISE their kids and quit using some hippie libtard "I'm their friend" logic.

As I said, just a theory put forth from elsewhere. Its a stretch, but then again........

'libtard'? I seriously hope you are not suggesting the concept of liberalism has caused this shooting? Becuase that has to be the dumbest thing I've heard this year.

You cheapen the death of many by spouting your ridiculous politics.

Maybe they can use this (And the other incidents) to get CCW passed in the school.

Obviously making schoolsa "Gun free" zone is about the tardest of tard ideas you can come up with.

Oh yes, of course! We should give people in schools concealed weapons! Then there would be much fewer school shootings. Damn man, why didn't I think of that!

:disgust:

Yes, libtard. Where do you think all of our gun restrictions have come from? Aint the Repugs fella.
And while we're at it, why do you suppose kids do this crap? Because our current culture focuses on one thing. Do you feel good? Self esteem. NO ONE fails in school. As long as you feel good, its ok.
What happened to the days when you werent a ray of light, you werent the best? You were just another Joe, and if you step out of line you get your ass beat on? What happened to the days when you were held responsible for you, and no one is going to hold your hand and make sure nothing bad ever happens? What happened to the days when you werent the best, you werent special?

We have to face it, our culture is negatively affecting us! Until we realize that maybe this ongoing progressive thinking is HURTING us, this stuff will continue.

I'm not saying winding the clock back 1000 years in our thought processes and culture is the answer, but for damn sure what we're doing now surely isnt either.

And yes, let faculty carry guns. I ask again, whats your solution? Home schooling?

How bout this? Name one that happened in a modern and civilized country but outside of America. You can't, can you, because they don't happen outside America.

Why is this? Lets do a comparison between countries. Teke two with almost exactly the same culture - the USA and the UK. The USA has 4.08 gun homicides per 100000 people, while the UK has 0.12 per 100000. The difference between the two? The USA has more liberal gun laws. Oh yes - that's what 'liberal' means, not 'evil' as you seem to think, but free. Free to do as you wish. In the USA you are free to have a gun if you wish, and as some people think, free to shoot people with it.

Alternative explainations are welcomed. Preferably ones which do not revolve around your view that society itself has gone to hell in a kind of general way

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

1 step at a time cactus.

you know what we didn't have 40 years ago ?

cable tv and video games. and ultra violence in movies and tv.

and no microwaves or cell phones.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
How bout this? Name one that happened in a modern and civilized country but outside of America. You can't, can you, because they don't happen outside America.

Why is this? Lets do a comparison between countries. Teke two with almost exactly the same culture - the USA and the UK. The USA has 4.08 gun homicides per 100000 people, while the UK has 0.12 per 100000. The difference between the two? The USA has more liberal gun laws. Oh yes - that's what 'liberal' means, not 'evil' as you seem to think, but free. Free to do as you wish. In the USA you are free to have a gun if you wish, and as some people think, free to shoot people with it.

Alternative explainations are welcomed. Preferably ones which do not revolve around your view that society itself has gone to hell in a kind of general way

Canada.

Shall we look at the problems of British yobs and Muslims? Britian is hardly a shining example of personal safety. Sure, they dont have to worry about someone gunning them down, but they have to worry about being knived or beaten with a bat. Crime is crime, to say guns are the problem is ignoring the real issues.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
does anyones opinion on hunting really matter in this thread? or any other political bullshit?

damn people have to force their beliefs on people at any chance they get.

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
Originally posted by: waggy
does anyones opinion on hunting really matter in this thread? or any other political bullshit?

damn people have to force their beliefs on people at any chance they get.

QFT

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: loup garou

No no, that was what I was looking for was examples. If you would find a few more in the 40-20 year range that'd be spiffy.

Now, how many have we had in the past 4 months?
Several. I'd like to see how this becomes linked to liberalism.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005

1 step at a time cactus.

More to the point, the entire culture was different. Kids didnt go home after school to kill zombies, they went to the park to play ball. They interacted with others their age.

As I said, I'm not saying winding the clock back 40 years is the answer. But I am saying these types of crime are becoming more and more common. In the interim a solution is arm the teachers but ultimately our goal needs to be working on preventing them altogether.

And that is a thread all to itself.

jdini76

Platinum Member
Mar 16, 2001

I don't hunt.

I hunt. Fish too. I worry about someone who makes such tard statements such as "Normal people dont hunt"........

wow. way to mis quote me when my quote is sitting right there. you are making it sound like i said people who hunt aren't normal. but in fact what I said was totaly different.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

Canada.

Shall we look at the problems of British yobs and Muslims? Britian is hardly a shining example of personal safety. Sure, they dont have to worry about someone gunning them down, but they have to worry about being knived or beaten with a bat. Crime is crime, to say guns are the problem is ignoring the real issues.

Well then, go ahead and post the total homicide rates of the UK and the US since I'm sure that'll prove your point.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Wow, almost as disillusioned as the Brazilian guy. Incredible.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

1 step at a time cactus.

meh, places like the UK have the same games, movies, and TV. they even get to see nudity regularly. do they have the same problems with school shootings/violence that we do? I don't recall hearing about any.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005

I don't hunt.

I hunt. Fish too. I worry about someone who makes such tard statements such as "Normal people dont hunt"........

wow. way to mis quote me when my quote is sitting right there. you are making it sound like i said people who hunt aren't normal. but in fact what I said was totaly different.

I'll eat that one, I misunderstood you.

Comes from being the "crazy white hunter OMG SCARY GUN!" guy that people so often call me.

My bad.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004

Canada.

Well, I agree with the fact that guns are not the ones who are at fault, it is the people at fault. However, guns were made for a reason - for protection, for hunting etc. They were made to do bodily harm nonetheless, for the most part. It is like letting the genie out of the bottle. The genie is already out of the bottle and guns are there, so people need guns to combat guns - the cycle continues. More guns are being made.

Same thing with nuclear weapons, once we got them, Russia had to have them and so did China and the rest of the countries. People have the urgency to fight fire with fire. The person creating a fire needs to think twice about the consequences.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: mugs

Canada.

Well then, go ahead and post the total homicide rates of the UK and the US since I'm sure that'll prove your point.

Been down this road before.
Britian is hardly a shining example of justice and security.