At least five dead in shooting at PA Amish school

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
<insert ace's obligatory comment about school shooting KDR's here>

6:1 (assuming that the shooter dies) is one of the highest KDR's we've seen since Columbine.

Jawo

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Originally posted by: z42
The Amish have guns?

That's my first thought in reaction to this....what a sad state of affairs with all of the school shootings in the past few weeks.

lightpants

Platinum Member
Aug 13, 2001
This happened a few miles from where I am. I counted 3 helicopters flying over, bringing the children to the hospital in Lancaster.
I read that the gunman is dead in the school. The live picture shows people in a line searching the fields around the school. THey haven't said what they are looking for, though.

imported_bum

Golden Member
Jan 15, 2005
Originally posted by: lightpants
This happened a few miles from where I am. I counted 3 helicopters flying over, bringing the children to the hospital in Lancaster.
I read that the gunman is dead in the school. The live picture shows people in a line searching the fields around the school. THey haven't said what they are looking for, though.

The article says they are looking for people hiding in the bushes (with injuries?).

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Jawo
The Amish have guns?

That's my first thought in reaction to this....what a sad state of affairs with all of the school shootings in the past few weeks.

why would that be your 1st thought. as someone said, guns aren't modern technology.
they hunt just like any normal person.

crystal

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 1999
WTF, the school is for 1st to 8th grades, that mean the victims age ~ 6 - 14 yrs. :(

jdini76

Platinum Member
Mar 16, 2001
Originally posted by: jmebonner
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: jdini76
Originally posted by: jlbenedict
Originally posted by: keeleysam
Daayyyyyyamn, what is up with all these school shootings?

More kids are whacko today then in previous years

I doubt this was a student doing the shooting. This is an Amish school. It was probably an outsider who cam in and took hostages.

Why do you doubt it? Amish people can have the same problems everyone else has.

And sometimes more so. The movie "Devil's playground" is a documentary about amish teens. VERY enlightening to me, they are not nearly as Straight-laced as most would have you believe. See: rumspringa

Your points are valid, and you may be right. It could have been an Amish Student. But there is one major fact that leads me to beleive it was someone from outside the Amish community. The police are involved. Correct me if I am wrong, but I would think that if this was a result of an Amish person they would keep it in house and deal with it under their own laws. Maybe the poilice had to be involved when the injuries involved gun shots. But I just would just think that if they are old world Amish it would not have seen the light of day to us.

jdini76

Platinum Member
Mar 16, 2001
Originally posted by: pontifex
The Amish have guns?

why would that be your 1st thought. as someone said, guns aren't modern technology.

I don't think they hunt. They have Farms and therefore have live stock. And People who are normal don't generaly hunt nowadays. I consider myself normal and I don't hunt.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

I doubt this was a student doing the shooting. This is an Amish school. It was probably an outsider who cam in and took hostages.

And sometimes more so. The movie "Devil's playground" is a documentary about amish teens. VERY enlightening to me, they are not nearly as Straight-laced as most would have you believe. See: rumspringa

Your points are valid, and you may be right. It could have been an Amish Student. But there is one major fact that leads me to beleive it was someone from outside the Amish community. The police are involved. Correct me if I am wrong, but I would think that if this was a result of an Amish person they would keep it in house and deal with it under their own laws. Maybe the poilice had to be involved when the injuries involved gun shots. But I just would just think that if they are old world Amish it would not have seen the light of day to us.

i believe the Amish are subject to the laws just as any other person.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
The Amish have guns?

I don't think they hunt. They have Farms and therefore have live stock. And People who are normal don't generaly hunt nowadays. I consider myself normal and I don't hunt.

yes, they do hunt.

i'm talking about a normal person who hunts, not, "normal" every day people.

you people are morons sometimes.

May 16, 2000
As much as I hate that it's happening, I really think this is going to make it possible to get the stupid laws against carrying on school grounds repealed. It'll be cake to prove dangerous environment now.

imported_weadjust

Golden Member
Apr 23, 2004
Normal people don't hunt. Give me a break.

I live in the south and hunting is normal. It's become a rich man sport due to lack of public hunting land. All the doctors and lawyers have leased all the good hunting land.

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Juno
so disturbing. blame the media for influencing the wrong ideals.

No. If anything blame the parents for not influencing the right ideals.

lightpants

Platinum Member
Aug 13, 2001
I don't believe that they have released who the shooter was. It might have been an amish person, or it might have been an outsider. The school is just a 1 room building and there is was no security there, anyone could have just walked in.

308nato

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2002
Personally, I think its time to open hunting season on all fvcktards and the parental fvcktards that raised them. When I was a pup we used to hunt before school and the principal would keep our bows/firearms in his office till school was out.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: weadjust
Normal people don't hunt. Give me a break.

I live in the south and hunting is normal. It's become a rich man sport due to lack of public hunting land. All the doctors and lawyers have leased all the good hunting land.

he/she didn't mean it that way. just that most people don't hunt as a way of life, anymore.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Maybe they can use this (And the other incidents) to get CCW passed in the school.

Obviously making schoolsa "Gun free" zone is about the tardest of tard ideas you can come up with.
Strip everyone of weapons, then when something happens lock it down. At that point if the gunman is inside no one can engage him and its like shooting fish in a barrel.

Thank you Brady, you dumb bitch, and all the other gun grabbers.

Give us nationwide CCW and be done with it.

jdini76

Platinum Member
Mar 16, 2001

How come you didn't use "normal" in this sense? j/k

I don't know. I guess my my reference is the movie "Witness". Same with the Hunting thing.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

Yeah, kind of tough to sweep 6 dead kids under the rug without getting the police involved.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: 308nato
Personally, I think its time to open hunting season on all fvcktards and the parental fvcktards that raised them. When I was a pup we used to hunt before school and the principal would keep our bows/firearms in his office till school was out.

how old are you? that must have been a long time ago because I can't imagine anyone allowing any kind of weapons on school grounds at all.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Specop 007
Maybe they can use this (And the other incidents) to get CCW passed in the school.

Obviously making schoolsa "Gun free" zone is about the tardest of tard ideas you can come up with.
Strip everyone of weapons, then when something happens lock it down. At that point if the gunman is inside no one can engage him and its like shooting fish in a barrel.

Thank you Brady, you dumb bitch, and all the other gun grabbers.

Give us nationwide CCW and be done with it.

so the solution is gun fights in school ?

imo, people who do this know they are likely to be killed, it's a way to commit suicide. people in that state aren't going to be deterred because there are people with guns in the school.

you might reduce the number of dead per incident, but I doubt you'd reduce the number of incidents, which is what we need to accomplish.