At home salon business forced to close because owner wouldn't wax a trans "woman's" balls. (Canada)

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Here we go, false science that's not supported by anything. That's exactly what the Nazi's did to justify the exact same views towards LGBT people.

For the outsiders looking in, here's the science: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/05/180524112351.htm

Turns out that transwomen have the brains of women, and transmen the brains of men. Didn't take long for Slow to drop the facade. Just two posts in. That's quicker than I thought it would be.

"More like" is not the same as "have the". And male and female brains have considerable overlap, so it's hardly diagnostic. With the new points in the below image, would you be able to differentiate them? Nope.

Progressives are at a contradictory fork here because many on the same side argue there are no differences between the genders (just sociocultural differences), yet the slant of hypermasculinity or hyperfeminity among transgenders overturns this completely.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/08/180822150809.htm

"Rapid-onset gender dysphoria might spread through groups of friends and may be a harmful coping mechanism, a new study suggests, but more research is needed. "

Do you know what this sounds like? Otherkin. People literally thinking they are animals....

Dd2Mw1uUQAAELo_

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
"More like" is not the same as "have the". And male and female brains have considerable overlap, so it's hardly diagnostic. With the new points in the below image, would you be able to differentiate them? Nope.

Progressives are at a contradictory fork here because many on the same side argue there are no differences between the genders (just sociocultural differences), yet the slant of hypermasculinity or hyperfeminity among transgenders overturns this completely.

"Rapid-onset gender dysphoria might spread through groups of friends and may be a harmful coping mechanism, a new study suggests, but more research is needed. "

Do you know what this sounds like? Otherkin. People literally thinking they are animals....

Dd2Mw1uUQAAELo_

Genders are social constructs. The only difference between them is what we've decided through social convention and tradition.

Your own study says it's just one study, and that many more need to be conducted. As for your liking it to that Otherkin stuff, that's just hogwash.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Genders are social constructs. The only difference between them is what we've decided through social convention and tradition.

So what about having a "male" or "female" brain, as you put it (which again is wrong), makes someone want to be the other gender so badly, while also typically trying to mimic stereotypical gender roles?

Your own study says it's just one study, and that many more need to be conducted. As for your liking it to that Otherkin stuff, that's just hogwash.

It's definitely akin to it. The other explanation (which isn't even exhibited by all transgenders) is that the body mapping is whacked in the brain, so their body doesn't conform to what the brain has mapped out. That's sort of like BIID btw.

Jul 9, 2009

Gender is a social construct? Wow, thanks for that bit o science.

Reactions: SlowSpyder

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Gender and sex are different things. This is something that had been stated in support of transgender rights a lot and I agree with it. But that means for some things sex is what actually matters, genital waxing and sports are an obvious area that sex matters.

Women should have the right to decide what type of genitals they work on.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Not that I think driving these women out of business was right at all, but there are a hundred ways to say no that don’t open you to a suit such as this, I would have done that.

Can you give us a few examples of what the business owner could have said to avoid this suit.

Last edited:

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
Funny how conservatives here have to point out the actions of a few deeply mentally ill people to argue against (imaginary) liberals. But liberals just have to point out the actions of Trump, president and party leader!
Oh wait, I guess that is the same. Nevermind!

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
Funny how conservatives here have to point out the actions of a few deeply mentally ill people to argue against (imaginary) liberals. But liberals just have to point out the actions of Trump, president and party leader!
Oh wait, I guess that is the same. Nevermind!

No one here is arguing against the rights of trans people, only that perhaps, in the example of Canada, the law goes too far and opens itself up to all kinds of abuses.

If you have a reasonable argument or idea on how best to balance protecting the trans community from unlawful discrimination yet balancing the rights of women and small business owners I'd love to hear it.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005

Dd2Mw1uUQAAELo_
Can otherkin go to a dog groomer?

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Gender is a social construct? Wow, thanks for that bit o science.

It actually is science:
The scientific consensus from the American Psychiatric Association:

Sex is assigned at birth, refers to one’s biological status as either male or female, and is associated primarily with physical attributes such as chromosomes, hormone prevalence, and external and internal anatomy. Gender refers to the socially constructed roles, behaviors, activities, and attributes that a given society considers appropriate for boys and men or girls and women. These influence the ways that people act, interact, and feel about themselves. While aspects of biological sex are similar across different cultures, aspects of gender may differ.

https://www.apa.org/topics/lgbt/transgender

The one unifying aspect of new "conservative" authoritarian nationalists is your unerring denial of virtually all science that may force you to adjust your world view.

Science proves we're affecting the climate? Fake news!

Science proves racism is systemic and pervasive and the main cause of poor outcomes for blacks in America? Librul conspirasah!

Science (and basic logic) shows gender identity is a social construct and not the same as sex? Heresy!!! Burn the witches!!!

Look how regressive you;re becoming. The overwhelming majority of Flat Earthers and moon landing deniers are conspiracy minded, science denying conservatives like you. I see you going down that rabbit hole.

Reactions: darkswordsman17

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
It actually is science:

Sex is assigned at birth, refers to one’s biological status as either male or female, and is associated primarily with physical attributes such as chromosomes, hormone prevalence, and external and internal anatomy. Gender refers to the socially constructed roles, behaviors, activities, and attributes that a given society considers appropriate for boys and men or girls and women. These influence the ways that people act, interact, and feel about themselves. While aspects of biological sex are similar across different cultures, aspects of gender may differ.

The one unifying aspect of new "conservative" authoritarian nationalists is your unerring denial of virtually all science that may force you to adjust your world view.

Science proves racism is systemic and pervasive and the main cause of poor outcomes for blacks in America? Librul conspirasah!

Science (and basic logic) shows gender identity is a social construct and not the same as sex? Heresy!!! Burn the witches!!!

Look how regressive you;re becoming. The overwhelming majority of Flat Earthers and moon landing deniers are conspiracy minded, science denying conservatives like you. I see you going down that rabbit hole.
So if Lebron James announced tomorrow he is transitioning to become a woman, he can play in the WNBA?

Gender and sex are not the same, but the gender binary social construct is based on certain biological realities. In this case, the flat earthers are those who stubbornly refuse to acknowledge those biological realities.

Reactions: SlowSpyder

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
So if Lebron James announced tomorrow he is transitioning to become a woman, he can play in the WNBA?

Gender and sex are not the same, but the gender binary social construct is based on certain biological realities. In this case, the flat earthers are those who stubbornly refuse to acknowledge those biological realities.

Considering the fact that you are contrary to a scientific consensus, I;'d say it is you who is the flat earther here.

But keep on denying reality and science to preserve your beliefs. The cult needs you!

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Considering the fact that you are contrary to a scientific consensus, I;'d say it is you who is the flat earther here.

But keep on denying reality and science to preserve your beliefs. The cult needs you!
There is a scientific consensus around sex vs gender, but there is no consensus around the appropriate societal response for when those things fall out alignment. That is the reality. Give my regards to the echo chamber.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

Found someone who doesn't know how transitioning works!

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
There is a scientific consensus around sex vs gender, but there is no consensus around the appropriate societal response for when those things fall out alignment. That is the reality. Give my regards to the echo chamber.

You are literally saying "I know you are but what am I" here.

Pathetic. Your response is irrelevant, snowflake.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I know the original topic has kinda been sidelined here, but I think this whole thing could be avoided by a big sign on the front of the shop that says 'no penises'. If it's established ahead of time that she doesn't work with male genitalia, it doesn't really matter what gender the person is/claims to be (depending on your interpretation). I don't think she could fully refuse to service men in general, but I don't think a 'no penises' rule is off the table.

If a government body forced her to perform an action that was established ahead of time that she wouldn't do, I'd be opposed to that.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
It actually is science:

Gendered behavior of the feminine vs. masculine is obviously influenced biologically. It's not a false dichotomy of either all nuture vs. all nature. Seriously, I'm just sitting here laughing my ass off. If we took that seriously, how is transgender any different than transracial if we assume transgender isn't just incompatible body plan mapping in the brain.

M-E-T-A S-T-U-D-Y!

Sex differences in children's toy preferences: A systematic review, meta‐regression, and meta‐analysis

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/icd.2064
  • Gender differences in toy choice exist and appear to be the product of both innate and social forces.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
I’m too busy. Sorry I’m not taking new customers. I don’t know how to wax testicles. Etc...

According to various articles the appointment was already made when he sent her pics and indicated he was a trans woman and wanted his balls waxed. That would negate the first two responses. Some of the other 12+ POC salon owners told him that they didn’t wax balls and he still pursued them. Any other suggestions?

Marcia Da Silva received a response about the opening of her new salon from Jessica Yaniv, a transgender activist, after previously only have provided services to family and friends. They initially agreed to an appointment via text message and Yaniv claimed that Da Silva canceled the session after she sent her a photo and identified as a transgender woman.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
It actually is science:

Consensus isn't science, it's shared opinion.