At home salon business forced to close because owner wouldn't wax a trans "woman's" balls. (Canada)

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Consensus isn't science, it's shared opinion.

No, a consensus in science is a consensus of studies that establish known fact.

Next you'll be telling me it's "scientism" and belief based.

Last edited:

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Consensus isn't science, it's shared opinion.

A scientific consensus isn't an "opinion." It's an established observation based on a multitude of studies that line up with each other. There's no real doubt here -- the only thing that would change this is significant, peer-reviewed evidence indicating the contrary.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
A scientific consensus isn't an "opinion." It's an established observation based on a multitude of studies that line up with each other. There's no real doubt here -- the only thing that would change this is significant, peer-reviewed evidence indicating the contrary.

Or a sharpie.

Reactions: pcgeek11

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
No, a consensus in science is a consensus of studies that establish known fact.

Next you'll be telling me it's "scientist."

Gender isn't entirely a social construct.

Let me ask you: Does sex have any effect on behavior? If you say "No", then you're dismissing a ton of science. If you say "Yes", then you can't completely separate sex (i.e. biology) and gender.

I've seen a pattern with you. ;)

EDV2-LnVUAECVvB.png

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
How often is a cis gendered individual troubled by a trans gendered individual? Possibly once in their lifetime. How often is a trans gendered individual troubled by a cis gendered individual. Almost every day of life. And yet, here we are discussing the former instead of the latter.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Gender isn't entirely a social construct.

Let me ask you: Does sex have any effect on behavior? If you say "No", then you're dismissing a ton of science. If you say "Yes", then you can't completely separate sex (i.e. biology) and gender.

I've seen a pattern with you. ;)

EDV2-LnVUAECVvB.png

Um, no. I look for consensus among the entirety of data and meta studies, not individual studies. This would be you projecting your own cherry picking on others.

A common pattern I've noticed among people who hold irrational viewpoints.

Anti-vaxxers
Climate change deniers
Flat earthers
Conspiracy theorists
Racists and believers in debunked racial IQ theories.
Alt-med proponents
Creationists

And you.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: pcgeek11

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
How often is a cis gendered individual troubled by a trans gendered individual? Possibly once in their lifetime. How often is a trans gendered individual troubled by a cis gendered individual. Almost every day of life. And yet, here we are discussing the former instead of the latter.
It wouldn't be a discussion if the trans gendered individual hadn't made it an issue. The woman in question didn't want to wax male genitalia, the person creating the issue had male genitalia.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Reactions: DarthKyrie

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
Reliable prediction and reproducible results are far more important.
Indeed. The problem is that very few people have the background to place the predictions and results within the proper context of the greater body of scientific knowledge. Instead, people prefer to cherry pick results that support their preconceived beliefs rather than forming their opinions based on the best interpretation of the data. However, for those that are interested in the the best current understanding of a current scientific topic, but are unable to dedicate thousands of hours of research to develop a thorough understanding of said topic, scientific consensus provides the most reliable path to a correct basic understanding.

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
It wouldn't be a discussion if the trans gendered individual hadn't made it an issue. The woman in question didn't want to wax male genitalia, the person creating the issue had male genitalia.
True. However, the same is true for the cis individual making an issue for trans gendered individuals, which is a far more common occurrence. And yet here we are discussing a trans individual causing an issue for a cis individual.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
There is no science that shows trans-generderism to be a real biological situation. Still, they are human and completely equal. But, the left today wants privilege, not equality.

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
Womp womp. Failboat.

I have to wonder though, what happens if we... say.... legalize prostitution? Would a prostitution have to fuck anyone? Trans people? Cross-dressers? Same sex?

I'm sure it would work much the same way it works currently just without the pimps, violence, STDs and tax-free status. If anything there would be more people working in the world's oldest profession and we wouldn't have to worry about that aspect because there are people out there that are into some really freaky shit and would probably get into the profession to satisfy those urges.

Reactions: ch33zw1z
Nov 8, 2012
I'm sure it would work much the same way it works currently just without the pimps, violence, STDs and tax-free status. If anything there would be more people working in the world's oldest profession and we wouldn't have to worry about that aspect because there are people out there that are into some really freaky shit and would probably get into the profession to satisfy those urges.

I get it, and I'm a big advocate for legalizing it. Question still remains, can a prostitute turn down someone based on race, gender, sexual orientation, sexual orifices, gender pronoun choice, crossdressing, hermaphrodite, etc?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I get it, and I'm a big advocate for legalizing it. Question still remains, can a prostitute turn down someone based on race, gender, sexual orientation, sexual orifices, gender pronoun choice, crossdressing, hermaphrodite, etc?

Yes, they can turn them down and this isn't exactly some new part of the law. For example there are women's only gyms that exist today and are perfectly legal.

Reactions: DarthKyrie