Are AMD planning to compete in the mobile workstation / mobile gaming market?

usermamed

Jun 20, 2018
Looking at the new generation of HP ZBOOKs having Intel Xeon as an option and Apple's still unannounced new MacBook Pro potentially having Intel i9 as an option, are AMD planning on having Threadripper's in mobile workstations / mobile gaming sometime or even a new mobile processor to compete with the i9?

How can anyone not see mobile workstation's and mobile gaming being a HUGE growing market. Who wants to be stuck in one room to only be able to do their work, especially when more and more people in the future will be working as their own bosses rather companies or being able to take your gaming system anywhere.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Looking at the new generation of HP ZBOOKs having Intel Xeon as an option and Apple's still unannounced new MacBook Pro potentially having Intel i9 as an option, are AMD planning on having Threadripper's in mobile workstations / mobile gaming sometime or even a new mobile processor to compete with the i9?

How can anyone not see mobile workstation's and mobile gaming being a HUGE growing market. Who wants to be stuck in one room to only be able to do their work, especially when more and more people in the future will be working as their own bosses rather companies or being able to take your gaming system anywhere.
For the things that Threadripper is designed for, most applications require a very fast dedicated GPU. Both the size of TR, its power requirements, and the GPU dictate that a laptop is not a place it could be. As for Intel, and the I9 ? I have not heard that.

Reactions: Drazick

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

Threadripper, no. Pinnacle Ridge, maybe. There have been rumors of 45W BGA models, and there are enough gaming laptops that don't have Optimus enabled that not having an IGP would not be a dealbreaker.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
For the things that Threadripper is designed for, most applications require a very fast dedicated GPU. Both the size of TR, its power requirements, and the GPU dictate that a laptop is not a place it could be. As for Intel, and the I9 ? I have not heard that.

Intel's i9 mobile family consists of 6 core i7s. Iirc there may be a quad core i9, but idk.

wahdangun

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2011
AMD can always use embedded line and paired it with ECC ram.

Or using ryzen pro platform and repurpose it to mobile workstation.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011

There were companies like Clevo that used to (maybe they still do) build desktop replacement laptops that carried desktop parts. I don't know if they ever used HEDT (or equivalent at the time) but they often used desktop CPUs paired with a pretty decent desktop GPU. However, these things were not meant to be all that portable and would easily weight 10 pounds or more and pretty much needed to be plugged in to use at all.

AMD has a 3xxx line of Epyc CPUs that are for the embedded market that suggest it's possible. The best one is the Epyic 3451 which is 16C/32T at 2.15 GHz (2.45/3.0 GHz all-core/max boost) that has a 100W TDP. If you're will to sacrifice clock speed for core count, it's probably feasible to build such a laptop and throw in a GeForce 1080 (or more likely a Quadro). The biggest issue is likely to be a lack of market for such a thing, so I don't see too many companies scrambling to go after it.