5 steps to fix black society

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 10, 2007
What do you offer?
A Dictatorship over thoser, you do like or not?
Are you Supreme Human being?
I would say NO.,..Arrogant and Ignorant - YES

This Planet is SHARED PLACE not only for arrogant and ignorant human species, but for others too - animals, birds, fish....etc...

What is a Democracy? When others can live the way they want? Isn't so?
What is a Dictatorship?
When someone tells others to live the way HE?SHE likes...

So, where are you at?
Where are you - so is The Country....preaching democracy under dictatorship?

You don't like what black people wear...N-word whites use as much as black people do....
Where did Native Americans - Indians disappear? Oh...OK you already have taken care of this problem....

Don't you think, that you can be a Problem Yourself? The World is overcrowded and some "must go", maybe you're one of those, than "must go"...

Just like you think of others, that are "not fit" in your point of view"?

I didn't come up with that list. A black person did.

HendrixFan

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2001
If you disagree please point out which group of people you find to be less racist?

I'm not sure I would specify any singular race as more or less racist as a whole. But if I had a gun to my head it wouldn't be the race most involved in enslaving another group solely based on race then legally discriminating against said race for a hundred years after freeing them.

I keep telling myself that there are positive signs for race relations improving here in the US, that we are making some sort of progress. Then I read random threads on here, and despite the higher than normal education level, there is still plenty of racism just beneath the surface.

I think I'm fortunate to live in a racially diverse area so that any silly sense of racism can be exposed for its foolishness. I honestly feel sorry for those who grow up in whitewash areas which seem to be the remaining hotbeds for holding onto antiquated beliefs.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Some sort of progress.

The institutional racism that you and so many love to refer to was in the past. It does not exist any more. You could probably find examples of private businesses owned by racist individuals or such, but you will not find racist laws on the county or federal level any more (besides affirmative action) so who exactly is holding onto antiquated beliefs?

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013
Some sort of progress.

The institutional racism that you and so many love to refer to was in the past. It does not exist any more. You could probably find examples of private businesses owned by racist individuals or such, but you will not find racist laws on the county or federal level any more (besides affirmative action) so who exactly is holding onto antiquated beliefs?

So a state can be as racist as it wants, just not the local or federal government?

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
I'm not sure I would specify any singular race as more or less racist as a whole. But if I had a gun to my head it wouldn't be the race most involved in enslaving another group solely based on race then legally discriminating against said race for a hundred years after freeing them.

You do realize that white people bought black slaves from Arab slave traders and other black people right?

I think the act of enslaving and selling someone is more involved than merely buying a slave. So your argument is black people are racist against black people? Well judging by all the black on black genocides going on you may be right.

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013
You do realize that white people bought black slaves from Arab slave traders and other black people right?

I think the act of enslaving and selling someone is more involved than merely buying a slave. .

To be fair it's not that much more involved, only requiring one additional step: resale.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
I think the act of enslaving and selling someone is more involved than merely buying a slave.

Really, dummy? So please clue us in on what happened to the slaves that Europeans merely bought?

I'm sure you've heard of auction blocks.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Really, dummy? So please clue us in on what happened to the slaves that Europeans merely bought?

I'm sure you've heard of auction blocks.

White people didn't enslave black people. Black people enslaved each other and were offered for sale to whites at value prices.

Im not sure what is hard to understand here.

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013
Let's not argue over who enslaved whom. The point is that racism and human trafficking of any kind is long gone.

Apr 27, 2012
As long as the race baiters like al sharpton and jeese jackson have so much power then nothing will probably be done.

If you really want to fix the problems then here is what must be done.

End the war on drugs.
End welfare
Decrease gun control.
Stop attacking blacks who "act white"

berzerker60

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2012
Some sort of progress.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_Sentencing_Act
This passed just three years ago, meaning the racist mandatory minimums were on the books until that recently.

Plus the ongoing (though not quite as strongly as it used to be) use of racist anger and resentment at losing white privilege as a wedge issue in politics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy

Mostly these days it's about shitting on the poor, though, who in lots of places *just happen* to be minorities who have been stepped on by institutional racism for many many generations and are now about 0.5-1.5 generations distant from that, while also encountering (sometimes unconsciously) racist business owners, resulting in fewer job opportunities despite equal qualifications, etc. Shitting on the poor isn't technically racism per se, but the outcomes are often equivalent, and that's no coincidence.

As for who is holding on to antiquated beliefs:
http://www.gallup.com/poll/1687/race-relations.aspx#4
Do you approve or disapprove of marriage between blacks and white?
2013 11% of all adults disapprove. At least better than 23% in 2003! Unfortunately still > 1 in 10

Nov 8, 2012
What do you offer?
A Dictatorship over thoser, you do like or not?
Are you Supreme Human being?
I would say NO.,..Arrogant and Ignorant - YES

This Planet is SHARED PLACE not only for arrogant and ignorant human species, but for others too - animals, birds, fish....etc...

What is a Democracy? When others can live the way they want? Isn't so?
What is a Dictatorship?
When someone tells others to live the way HE?SHE likes...

So, where are you at?
Where are you - so is The Country....preaching democracy under dictatorship?

You don't like what black people wear...N-word whites use as much as black people do....
Where did Native Americans - Indians disappear? Oh...OK you already have taken care of this problem....

Don't you think, that you can be a Problem Yourself? The World is overcrowded and some "must go", maybe you're one of those, than "must go"...

Just like you think of others, that are "not fit" in your point of view"?

The planet is a shared place, but if you want to stand out like a sore thumb for mocking our civil society, that is your perrogative - and you can't hold others responsible from something that comes from your own actions.

I'm not saying it's the best route, but every society has acceptable actions and unaccpetable actions.

If you drink from a bowl of a soup by bringing the bowl to your mouth - here it is crude and not accepted in our society. In Asia countries - it is fully accepted. /Shrug.

Feb 10, 2000
I don't know that there is a great deal of value in the opinions of white people (who constitute the overwhelming majority of the members of this forum) about how to "fix black society." My own observation is that many white people, even well meaning ones, don't really understand black people or want to, and are inclined to treat symptoms (e.g. saggy pants) rather than the underlying problems.

In practice, there is nothing anyone can do to change the major historical attribute that separates African-Americans from other ethnic groups (including, among others, African immigrants) - the fact that they descend from slaves, and were brought here and owned here as chattel for hundreds of years, both before and after we existed as a nation. I think it's naive and simpleminded to believe that this doesn't matter, or that black people should just "get over it" - this is a big issue, though one that is not, probably, fixable.

What is potentially fixable is the way our government has engaged in a pattern of both malign neglect (e.g., redlining and the War on Drugs) and benign neglect (the availability of long-term public assistance benefits that have created generations of unemployed/unemployable people of color).

At this point I think the benign neglect is probably the more harmful of the two, at least where I live. Minnesota is quite politically liberal yet has the greatest disparity in unemployment rates between white people and black people of any state in the US. This is not because we are more racist (I have lived all over the US and that just is not the case), it is because we have chosen to create a system that incentivizes single parenthood and makes it possible to live indefinitely without employment. Obviously this in turn devalues education and ultimately has largely destroyed our black middle class. I can't think of a more depressing, humiliating condition to live in than just keeping your head above water with the help of public assistance benefits, but I think the alternative (i.e., getting cut off and having to work for a living) must be terrifying to long-term recipients. We should be dedicating funds to helping them build job skills rather than rationing out a subsistence income every month IMO.

The reality is that fixing these problems requires courage and taking the long view. I would have liked to see President Obama take a greater leadership role in this arena, but he has not. Sadly I doubt any of this will change anytime soon.

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013
I don't know that there is a great deal of value in the opinions of white people (who constitute the overwhelming majority of the members of this forum) about how to "fix black society." My own observation is that many white people, even well meaning ones, don't really understand black people or want to, and are inclined to treat symptoms (e.g. saggy pants) rather than the underlying problems.

In practice, there is nothing anyone can do to change the major historical attribute that separates African-Americans from other ethnic groups (including, among others, African immigrants) - the fact that they descend from slaves, and were brought here and owned here as chattel for hundreds of years, both before and after we existed as a nation. I think it's naive and simpleminded to believe that this doesn't matter, or that black people should just "get over it" - this is a big issue, though one that is not, probably, fixable.

What is potentially fixable is the way our government has engaged in a pattern of both malign neglect (e.g., redlining and the War on Drugs) and benign neglect (the availability of long-term public assistance benefits that have created generations of unemployed/unemployable people of color).

At this point I think the benign neglect is probably the more harmful of the two, at least where I live. Minnesota is quite politically liberal yet has the greatest disparity in unemployment rates between white people and black people of any state in the US. This is not because we are more racist (I have lived all over the US and that just is not the case), it is because we have chosen to create a system that incentivizes single parenthood and makes it possible to live indefinitely without employment. Obviously this in turn devalues education and ultimately has largely destroyed our black middle class. I can't think of a more depressing, humiliating condition to live in than just keeping your head above water with the help of public assistance benefits, but I think the alternative (i.e., getting cut off and having to work for a living) must be terrifying to long-term recipients. We should be dedicating funds to helping them build job skills rather than rationing out a subsistence income every month IMO.

The reality is that fixing these problems requires courage and taking the long view. I would have liked to see President Obama take a greater leadership role in this arena, but he has not. Sadly I doubt any of this will change anytime soon.

I'm pretty sure malign is a verb, and therefore cannot be used as an adjective? You call attention to the fact that people misunderstand a complex problem, without support, and then seem to reduce this problem to welfare abuse. Otherwise, pretty good.

Feb 10, 2000
I'm pretty sure malign is a verb, and therefore cannot be used as an adjective? You call attention to the fact that people misunderstand a complex problem, without support, and then seem to reduce this problem to welfare abuse. Otherwise, pretty good.

Negative. Maybe you should bother to look at a dictionary before you make a post like this? See, e.g. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/malign -

Definition of MALIGN
1 a: evil in nature, influence, or effect: injurious <the malign effects of illicit drugs>
b : malignant, virulent
2: having or showing intense often vicious ill will: malevolent

The rest of your post also seems to reflect a total lack of understanding of what I wrote. There is ample support, literally starting with the first post in the thread, about people pointing to symptoms like baggy pants as the "problem" to be cured. Lastly, I posted nothing which related in any way, shape or form to welfare abuse. What I posted about was the problem with the availability of endless welfare benefits (a government problem), not with their being abused by their recipients.

Honestly, I don't understand posts like yours one iota. Clearly your drive to be snarky is much more powerful than your reading comprehension or your desire to engage in discussion.

Nov 8, 2012
You basically described how your child is going to speak to you some day: "YOU WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND ME!!! /slam door".

Crock of shit. We are all human. We all have the same brain functionality. To state that having a different culture is something you "will never understand" is ridiculous to the core. How hard is it to observe an Asian family that looks down upon any type of failure, yet observe a trash family where the only love is gathering around for microwave TV dinners to watch Honey Boo-Boo? Do you really need some deep thought process analysis to understand the differences? Do you really need "A day in their shoes?"

You don't. You just like to tell yourself that.

Find me another country that you can walk into a place that will give you free food - then walk next door to place that you can sign-up to get a free check. It doesn't exist. The opportunities are there, they are simply not being persued. The problem isn't "The man" it's the person that keeps blaming "The Man". In affect, blaming "The man" just makes a domino affect of pulling everyone down instead of just yourself. We are in perhaps the worst conditions economically of all-time, inyet we still clinching to hope that what is being done is still correct. It's mind boggling.