2 Friends of Mine Made The News...JFK Racially Profiling??

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: sisq0kidd
Originally posted by: JS80
Originally posted by: LuNoTiCK
I'd rather lose a little security than freedom. I also think people should have the right to be a citizen.

you're not being selfish at all.

Can you explain to me how that is selfish?

I can turn that back around and say people are selfish for wanting security over freedom.

It's a matter of opinion and persepective, so stop being so blind.

He can live with a higher percentage of death. Other people are willing to take additional steps so that they lower their percentage of death. You're selfish by imposing your higher tolerance of being attacked by terrorists on others.

That same selfishness that prevents you from replacing one of our soldiers in Iraq, the same selfishness that prevents you from donating your hard-earned cash to less fortunate people, the same selfishness that deems it ok to treat people less than humane if it secures your freedom?

Or is it the same selfishness that brings you to ATOT so you can declare that your opinion is somehow better than his?

1) i am doing my duty as a citizen by paying 32% of my income so that the government can fund the military
2) you are assuming that i make no donations. i give 5% of my income to charity. not to mention that of the 32% of the taxes the government takes a chunk goes to paying lazy sobs who don't have jobs
3) how the hell were these people treated "inhumanely"? it's your touchy feely attitude that caused the clinton administration to do nothing about terrorism even after WTC bombing in 1993, and Carter's administration doing nothing after the Iranian revolution.

you're nothing but a spoiled kid who thinks he knows all but in fact are a naive idiot

Great, another winner with personal attacks.

great, another naive kid who doesn't know how to rebut.

sisq0kidd

Lifer
Apr 27, 2004
Originally posted by: LuNoTiCK
I'd rather lose a little security than freedom. I also think people should have the right to be a citizen.

you're not being selfish at all.

Can you explain to me how that is selfish?

I can turn that back around and say people are selfish for wanting security over freedom.

It's a matter of opinion and persepective, so stop being so blind.

He can live with a higher percentage of death. Other people are willing to take additional steps so that they lower their percentage of death. You're selfish by imposing your higher tolerance of being attacked by terrorists on others.

That same selfishness that prevents you from replacing one of our soldiers in Iraq, the same selfishness that prevents you from donating your hard-earned cash to less fortunate people, the same selfishness that deems it ok to treat people less than humane if it secures your freedom?

Or is it the same selfishness that brings you to ATOT so you can declare that your opinion is somehow better than his?

1) i am doing my duty as a citizen by paying 32% of my income so that the government can fund the military
2) you are assuming that i make no donations. i give 5% of my income to charity. not to mention that of the 32% of the taxes the government takes a chunk goes to paying lazy sobs who don't have jobs
3) how the hell were these people treated "inhumanely"? it's your touchy feely attitude that caused the clinton administration to do nothing about terrorism even after WTC bombing in 1993, and Carter's administration doing nothing after the Iranian revolution.

you're nothing but a spoiled kid who thinks he knows all but in fact are a naive idiot

Great, another winner with personal attacks.

great, another naive kid who doesn't know how to rebut.

1. You did not address it. Or are you blind? You pay someone else to do our duty and that somehow qualifies you as being not selfish?

2. 5% = not selfish?

3. I believe we differ in our definitions of inhumane.

But of course, you missed the whole point of my post.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: moshquerade
Originally posted by: krunchykrome
I am extremely disgusted by the responses on this thread. Im not sure if all of the pro-racial profiling comments are being stretched or if thats how many of you actually feel.

Let me put it this way, my father was born in Iran but he has lived in this country for more than 30 years. He is in no way any different from any "white" people on this forum. Me being his son, I have some persian characteristics, however, I've lived here in MD all of my life. Now those of you who are supporting this racial profiing insist that it's perfectly alright for my father and I to be profiled based upon our appearance?

I agree with many of you that the majority of people who "blow sh*t up" are of middle eastern descent. But most of the people being profiled arent these terrorists we speak of; they're American citizens, and many of them American born (for those of you who think it makes a difference.)

How about some links to cases and situations where a blatent racial profiling incident lead to the capture or a terrorist...?

Don't even bother with them.

They will sing to the tune of racial profiling until it happens to them.
not necessarily. if all the terrorists in the past five years were fair skinned females with red hair (sharing the same features as they all pretty much have) then i would EXPECT to be singled out when i traveled. so fvcking what? i'd be ready for it and totally understand. i would not be getting pussy hurt over it, but see it for EXACTLY what it is.

Does it make you feel good to go around the swear filter like that while not getting "pussy hurt" over things like this?

Seriously, what is wrong with you people? You are but one person who hasn't been through this. You have no idea what these people have been through, but yet speak about it as if you have been through it yourselves. And all of this chest thumping is through hypotheticals.

Give me a break Mosh, racial profiling is one thing, being treated like an animal is another.

:disgust:
ohhhh, trying to get me in trouble? :roll:
i was speaking of racial profiling and why it's a smart thing to do in some cases. i didn't delve into anything else pertaining to the original article.
so YOU give me a break.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Marinski
I dont see a problem with this. The american people want more security but then they complain about racial profiling. If this is what needs to be done to ensure our safety then so be it. It doesnt matter if they are american citizens either. Any arab who is traveling to or communicating with anybody in the middle east is suspect because there are arab-americans sending money over to the middle east and funding terrorist organizations.

I believe those two people to be separate individuals unless you have some sort of information regarding the connection between freedom loving, but yet security infatuated people.

And even if there were people like this, why are we not able to obtain both?
It may be theoretically possible to obtain both, but the answer doesn't lie in abolishing our rights with things like wire tapping and the "Patriot" Act. Our civil rights should not erode anymore than the precedent our founding fathers have set. Yet, slowly but surely, we are losing our rights to the point where the government can detain you and hide behind false "laws" as the Patriot Act (where the police can detain you indefinitely for nothing more than a whim of suspicion with absolutely no proof). Our rights have been infringed upon, and this case clearly demonstrates that.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

you don't know in what context franklin said what he said. not only that, he never had the concept of suicide bombers. not only that, you don't know what his definition of losing freedom is. i doubt in this day in age he'd think added security in airports and monitoring of suspects in international phone calls would in any way constitute a loss of freedom to the average american.

I don't think the average American has lost much freedom, and I think that the additional security measures at airports since 9/11 are warranted.

But we're not talking about the average American, are we? We're talking about arabs. We're taking the actions of a SMALL minority of Muslims and holding them against an entire race of people.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: mugs

you don't know in what context franklin said what he said. not only that, he never had the concept of suicide bombers. not only that, you don't know what his definition of losing freedom is. i doubt in this day in age he'd think added security in airports and monitoring of suspects in international phone calls would in any way constitute a loss of freedom to the average american.

I don't think the average American has lost much freedom, and I think that the additional security measures at airports since 9/11 are warranted.

But we're not talking about the average American, are we? We're talking about arabs. We're taking the actions of a SMALL minority of Muslims and holding them against an entire race of people.

as opposed to putting the same type of scrutiny on ALL people so that the ACLU doesn't sue? i don't think that's practical.

sisq0kidd

Lifer
Apr 27, 2004
I am extremely disgusted by the responses on this thread. Im not sure if all of the pro-racial profiling comments are being stretched or if thats how many of you actually feel.

Let me put it this way, my father was born in Iran but he has lived in this country for more than 30 years. He is in no way any different from any "white" people on this forum. Me being his son, I have some persian characteristics, however, I've lived here in MD all of my life. Now those of you who are supporting this racial profiing insist that it's perfectly alright for my father and I to be profiled based upon our appearance?

I agree with many of you that the majority of people who "blow sh*t up" are of middle eastern descent. But most of the people being profiled arent these terrorists we speak of; they're American citizens, and many of them American born (for those of you who think it makes a difference.)

How about some links to cases and situations where a blatent racial profiling incident lead to the capture or a terrorist...?

not necessarily. if all the terrorists in the past five years were fair skinned females with red hair (sharing the same features as they all pretty much have) then i would EXPECT to be singled out when i traveled. so fvcking what? i'd be ready for it and totally understand. i would not be getting pussy hurt over it, but see it for EXACTLY what it is.

Does it make you feel good to go around the swear filter like that while not getting "pussy hurt" over things like this?

Seriously, what is wrong with you people? You are but one person who hasn't been through this. You have no idea what these people have been through, but yet speak about it as if you have been through it yourselves. And all of this chest thumping is through hypotheticals.

Give me a break Mosh, racial profiling is one thing, being treated like an animal is another.

i was speaking of racial profiling and why it's a smart thing to do in some cases. i didn't delve into anything else pertaining to the original article.
so YOU give me a break.

I believe those two things are intertwined.

Being butthurt about things is not so much a response to the act itself, but the road there and how others choose to act is it not?

So you can say racial profiling is a smart thing to do, and I agree to certain extent, but let's not be so callous in how we choose to do it.

No, I wasn't trying to get you in trouble or else a mod would have been notified. I was merely pointing out your bad choice of words.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
1. You did not address it. Or are you blind? You pay someone else to do our duty and that somehow qualifies you as being not selfish?

2. 5% = not selfish?

1. We do have a VOLUNTEER army. i have no qualms about entering the army in case of WW3 and a draft were to be instituted. however, you cannot reasonably expect me to drop everything, quit my job, stop my side business, reneg on my obligations and liabilities to join the military to prove my patriotism (especially to a spoiled kid like you).

2. so giving up 37% of what I earn to some strangers is being selfish? come to the real world and see how hard it is to make a buck.

3. if we can't agree on definitions, there is no point debating.

sisq0kidd

Lifer
Apr 27, 2004

2. 5% = not selfish?

1. We do have a VOLUNTEER army. i have no qualms about entering the army in case of WW3 and a draft were to be instituted. however, you cannot reasonably expect me to drop everything, quit my job, stop my side business, reneg on my obligations and liabilities to join the military to prove my patriotism (especially to a spoiled kid like you).

2. so giving up 37% of what I earn to some strangers is being selfish? come to the real world and see how hard it is to make a buck.

First of all, I'm not a kid, okay boy?

If we cannot come to a consensus on a definition, then we just have to agree to disagree. Or is that so hard for you?

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001

so YOU give me a break.

Being butthurt about things is not so much a response to the act itself, but the road there and how we others choose to act is it not?

So you can say racial profiling is a smart thing to do, and I agree to certain extent, but let's not be so callous in how we choose to do it.

No, I wasn't trying to get you in trouble or else a mod would have been notified. I was merely pointing out your bad choice of words.
you are picking fights with anyone who opposes your view in this thread. pointing out the language filter was a low blow attempt to contest what i had to say while concentrating on that one word.

now, you are agreeing with me and the need for racial profiling. go figure.
my point is, if i were Muslim i would expect to be searched/questioned given the current state of affairs. that's life. deal with it. as far as "callious" conditions i am sure there are exaggerations by those who were detained.... maybe not, but they complained that for 6 hrs they were given no food or water. did they ask for any? i am sure the agents questioning them didn't feel it was their job to roll out the picnic blanket for them. so what? cooperate and your stay won't lengthen. remember there are two sides to each story. people jump to side against the government/law enforcement pretty much every time.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

as opposed to putting the same type of scrutiny on ALL people so that the ACLU doesn't sue? i don't think that's practical.

For the reasons I posted several times in this thread, I think if we profile arabs we'll just be setting ourselves up for an attack by non-arab muslims.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001

you don't know in what context franklin said what he said. not only that, he never had the concept of suicide bombers. not only that, you don't know what his definition of losing freedom is. i doubt in this day and age he'd think added security in airports and monitoring of suspects in international phone calls would in any way constitute a loss of freedom to the average american.
Does it really matter what context BJ said it in? The message is clear. Give an inch, take a mile is what our gov't has done. And I agree that added security in airports is not what BJ was talking about. The ability to wiretap anyone, yes, BJ wouldn't look too kindly upon that.

It is at the point where even if you said to your friend "That club is da bomb", they could hold you indefinitely because you said the word bomb and they could claim they were investigating you for terrorism ties. And they could strip you of all your rights as an American citizen and hold you indefinitely, I'm not making this up. But I bet someone as yourself isn't bothered by this, in fact you would be happy with martial law I'm guessing (just like Israel). I've heard stories just like the one that happened at JFK, but it was in Israel. Last I heard, we haven't declared martial law so noone should be detained indefinitely against their will. But I bet you the Feds hide behind the Patriot Act on this one and get off scot free. ;)

sisq0kidd

Lifer
Apr 27, 2004

so YOU give me a break.

Being butthurt about things is not so much a response to the act itself, but the road there and how we others choose to act is it not?

you are picking fights with anyone who opposes your view in this thread. pointing out the language filter was a low blow attempt to contest what i had to say while concentrating on that one word.

my point is, if i were Muslim i would expect to be searched/questioned given the current state of affairs. that's life. deal with it. as far as "callious" conditions i am sure there are exaggerations by those who were detained.... maybe not, but they complained that for 6 hrs they were given no food or water. did they ask for any? i am sure the agents questioning them didn't feel it was their job to roll out the picnic blanket for them. so what? cooperate and your stay won't lengthen. remember there are two sides to each story. people jump to side against the government/law enforcement pretty much every time.

Did you miss the "certain extent" part?

I'm not sure why you put "callious" in quotes, but I believe I spelled it right. If that was not what you were going for I apologize.

Of course there are two sides to a story and two different types of people who have opinions about them. The people who jump on the side of the accusers are combatted by people like you.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005

2. 5% = not selfish?

If we cannot come to a consensus on a definition, then we just have to agree to disagree. Or is that so hard for you?

wtf do you think i implied in #3, BOY?

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: SP33Demon

you don't know in what context franklin said what he said. not only that, he never had the concept of suicide bombers. not only that, you don't know what his definition of losing freedom is. i doubt in this day and age he'd think added security in airports and monitoring of suspects in international phone calls would in any way constitute a loss of freedom to the average american.
Does it really matter what context BJ said it in? The message is clear. Give an inch, take a mile is what our gov't has done. And I agree that added security in airports is not what BJ was talking about. The ability to wiretap anyone, yes, BJ wouldn't look too kindly upon that.

It is at the point where even if you said to your friend "That club is da bomb", they could hold you indefinitely because you said the word bomb and they could claim they were investigating you for terrorism ties. And they could strip you of all your rights as an American citizen and hold you indefinitely, I'm not making this up. But I bet someone as yourself isn't bothered by this, in fact you would be happy with martial law I'm guessing (just like Israel). I've heard stories just like the one that happened at JFK, but it was in Israel. Last I heard, we haven't declared martial law so noone should be detained indefinitely against their will. But I bet you the Feds hide behind the Patriot Act on this one and get off scot free. ;)

something else on your mind? ;)

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001

So you agree to racial profiling by the police then? If you do, then it's a sad state of affairs our nation is in when terrorists have desensitized us to the point where we don't care when our freedoms have eroded.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001

so YOU give me a break.

Did you miss the "certain extent" part?

I'm not sure why you put "callious" in quotes, but I believe I spelled it right. If that was not what you were going for I apologize.

Of course there are two sides to a story and two different types of people who have opinions about them. The people who jump on the side of the accusers are the combatted by people like you.
i put callious in quotes because i was quoting you.

and i'm done. nothing new was revealed by your post.

sisq0kidd

Lifer
Apr 27, 2004

2. 5% = not selfish?

wtf do you think i implied in #3, BOY?

:cookie:

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001

So you agree to racial profiling by the police then? If you do, then it's a sad state of affairs our nation is in when terrorists have desensitized us to the point where we don't care when our freedoms have eroded.
you can call it sad. i call it reality. i've already stated that if terrorist activity in the country and abroad had been mainly conducted by fair skinned red headed females that i would expect to be suspect. it would only be common sense and i would deal with it.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
its CRIMINIAL profiling!!!

Nothing pissed me off more than when i flew my 78 year old mom up to Denver from Houston and the TSA MADE her get out of her wheelchair to inspect it. Yea like my mom is going to have C4 stuffed into the chairs metal tubing. f*cking assholes.

sisq0kidd

Lifer
Apr 27, 2004
Originally posted by: Citrix
its CRIMINIAL profiling!!!

Nothing pissed me off more than when i flew my 78 year old mom up to Denver from Houston and the TSA MADE her get out of her wheelchair to inspect it. Yea like my mom is going to have C4 stuffed into the chairs metal tubing. f*cking assholes.

Don't get mad, as others have said, don't question authority, forget your feelings and move on with the world.

It's much better living in a police state...

fallenangel99

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2001
The girls are kinda cute...

I can't wait for the time (if it comes) that the white man starts making bombs, then WE all get to be racially profiled! Equal justice for all!

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001

you can call it sad. i call it reality. i've already stated that if terrorist activity in the country and abroad had been mainly conducted by fair skinned red headed females that i would expect to be suspect. it would only be common sense and i would deal with it.
I have to give you credit for having the balls to publically admit you agree with racist cops and their tactics. If you were black or hispanic in this case, how would you feel? Text I never would have thought you would agree to racial profiling, but you learn something new about people every day. :( :(

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: fallenangel99

I can't wait for the time (if it comes) that the white man starts making bombs, then WE all get to be racially profiled! Equal justice for all!

What are you talking about "if it comes"? Before 9/11, the largest terrorist attack in the US was perpetrated by white guys. Who do you think bombs abortion clinics?

sisq0kidd

Lifer
Apr 27, 2004
Originally posted by: fallenangel99

What are you talking about "if it comes"? Before 9/11, the largest terrorist attack in the US was perpetrated by white guys. Who do you think bombs abortion clinics?

Religious zealots, suprise, suprise!