2 Friends of Mine Made The News...JFK Racially Profiling??

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
Originally posted by: moshquerade
Originally posted by: mugs

this is where you are wrong and beating your chest for no viable reason. Americans don't hate Arabs. Americans hate terrorists.

it does strike me though that those who stand on high and judge "bigots" are most likely in the same category.

Please explain to me why you think we should racially profile arabs in airports, but we shouldn't profile blacks and latinos on the streets. From a practical point of view, profiling arabs makes less sense - they can get non-arab Muslims to hijack airplanes, but what are the blacks and latinos going to do? Recruit white prep school kids to hold up liquor stores?
i have already said that profiling will change the face of terrorists until then they have shared a common face.

all you self righteous heros coming out of the woodwork to tell me that airport screening should be an equal person process are in denial, because it makes you feel good to deny the obvious and put your politically correct panties on for the day.
There is nothing polically correct about racial profiling, how wrong it is, and the people like you who advocate it. Keep living your life in fear of terrorists with a "common face" such as Middle Eastern, and I'll continue to live mine fearless and not worry about whether terrorists are circumventing our system (which criminals always will). You have already mentally lost your freedom and rights once you deemed racial profiling acceptable; you just haven't realized it yet. :thumbsdown:
what freedoms and rights have i lost? since i don't realize it and you do. enlighten me.
You have mentally granted/agreed with the government to profile citizens because of fear of terrorists, hence you have relinquished the same rights as the people whose right are violated. Surprised you couldn't figure that out. ;)
it's all good. if i were Middle Eastern i'd voluntarily step up to the plate for a thorough inspection before i flew. heck, i'll do it now if they'd like w/o complaining.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
it's all good. if i were Middle Eastern i'd voluntarily step up to the plate for a thorough inspection before i flew. heck, i'll do it now if they'd like w/o complaining.
So if you were intentionally targeted for being white in say, Saudi Arabia, and treated the same way the people in the OP were treated, you would like it and wouldn't think your American rights were violated? And if it happened twice, or 3, 4 times, you wouldn't care?

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
So if you were intentionally targeted for being white in say, Saudi Arabia, and treated the same way the people in the OP were treated, you would like it and wouldn't think your American rights were violated? And if it happened twice, or 3, 4 times, you wouldn't care?
whites are blowing up planes in Saudi Arabia? :confused:

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003
Originally posted by: mugs

this is where you are wrong and beating your chest for no viable reason. Americans don't hate Arabs. Americans hate terrorists.

it does strike me though that those who stand on high and judge "bigots" are most likely in the same category.

Please explain to me why you think we should racially profile arabs in airports, but we shouldn't profile blacks and latinos on the streets. From a practical point of view, profiling arabs makes less sense - they can get non-arab Muslims to hijack airplanes, but what are the blacks and latinos going to do? Recruit white prep school kids to hold up liquor stores?
i have already said that profiling will change the face of terrorists until then they have shared a common face.

all you self righteous heros coming out of the woodwork to tell me that airport screening should be an equal person process are in denial, because it makes you feel good to deny the obvious and put your politically correct panties on for the day.
There is nothing polically correct about racial profiling, how wrong it is, and the people like you who advocate it. Keep living your life in fear of terrorists with a "common face" such as Middle Eastern, and I'll continue to live mine fearless and not worry about whether terrorists are circumventing our system (which criminals always will). You have already mentally lost your freedom and rights once you deemed racial profiling acceptable; you just haven't realized it yet. :thumbsdown:
what freedoms and rights have i lost? since i don't realize it and you do. enlighten me.

Thats becuase you are white.

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003

No, but the bombs they are throwing in Iraq and Afghanistan are killing thousands.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Answer the question, would you feel like your American rights were violated if you were treated in such a manner? The only time such behavior is permitted is when we are under martial law, such as Israel.

SilverTorch

Golden Member
Oct 4, 2000
Answer the question, would you feel like your American rights were violated if you were treated in such a manner? The only time such behavior is permitted is when we are under martial law, such as Israel.

I believe what he is talking about is common sense, which is lacking in this thread.

I know plenty of people of Arab/Muslin desent who say they would not mind going through extra checks at the airport b/c they know they have nothing to hide.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: SilverTorch

I believe what he is talking about is common sense, which is lacking in this thread.

I know plenty of people of Arab/Muslin desent who say they would not mind going through extra checks at the airport b/c they know they have nothing to hide.
Common sense says that it doesn't matter what people are willing to do, but that the act of segregation under peacetime is unconstitutional. I know many people who would give up their freedom of speech for a "safe" life controlled by the government, but that is unconstitutional. Go read the Constitution and the Bill of Rights and then you can tell us what common sense is.

hysperion

May 12, 2004
Originally posted by: sisq0kidd
Originally posted by: sisq0kidd
Originally posted by: krunchykrome
I am extremely disgusted by the responses on this thread. Im not sure if all of the pro-racial profiling comments are being stretched or if thats how many of you actually feel.

Let me put it this way, my father was born in Iran but he has lived in this country for more than 30 years. He is in no way any different from any "white" people on this forum. Me being his son, I have some persian characteristics, however, I've lived here in MD all of my life. Now those of you who are supporting this racial profiing insist that it's perfectly alright for my father and I to be profiled based upon our appearance?

I agree with many of you that the majority of people who "blow sh*t up" are of middle eastern descent. But most of the people being profiled arent these terrorists we speak of; they're American citizens, and many of them American born (for those of you who think it makes a difference.)

How about some links to cases and situations where a blatent racial profiling incident lead to the capture or a terrorist...?

Don't even bother with them.

They will sing to the tune of racial profiling until it happens to them.
not necessarily. if all the terrorists in the past five years were fair skinned females with red hair (sharing the same features as they all pretty much have) then i would EXPECT to be singled out when i traveled. so fvcking what? i'd be ready for it and totally understand. i would not be getting pussy hurt over it, but see it for EXACTLY what it is.

Does it make you feel good to go around the swear filter like that while not getting "pussy hurt" over things like this?

Seriously, what is wrong with you people? You are but one person who hasn't been through this. You have no idea what these people have been through, but yet speak about it as if you have been through it yourselves. And all of this chest thumping is through hypotheticals.

Give me a break Mosh, racial profiling is one thing, being treated like an animal is another.

:disgust:

There's plenty of countries these individuals can move to where they will not be profiled.....racism/discrimination exists now and it will ALWAYS exist........until we can read minds, an individual's appearance is one of the easiest ways to help determine possible intent. Does it suck to be the profiled individual? I'm sure it does.....unfortunately your ancestors made your bed for you- maybe you could be respectful and put up with it and the prevailing attitude will change when your kids roll around- somehow I doubt it..............Sorry but this is the way human's work and just because you disagree and don't like it doesn't change a damn thing..........
I will say that if I was born in a muslim country I would be actively looking to move to an area that accepted me- not trying to convert them to my BS religion......

hysperion

May 12, 2004
Originally posted by: SilverTorch

Common sense says that it doesn't matter what people are willing to do, but that the act of segregation under peacetime is unconstitutional. I know many people who would give up their freedom of speech for a "safe" life controlled by the government, but that is unconstitutional. Go read the Constitution and the Bill of Rights and then you can tell us what common sense is.

Notice the "peacetime" condition you labeled......currently we are in "wartime" authorized by Congress and the president........Or have you missed the "global war on terror" label constantly being passed around??? And I'm pretty sure the constitution defends against "unreasonable search and seizure"- I don't think checking on Muslims returning from the Middle East is unreasonable given today's circumstances........In fact- when I return from this sh1thole, all my equipment will be gone through and I will have to be in a lockdown state for 6-8 hours.........that's being in the military...........so I guess these people are simply being treated the same as our servicemembers........