2 Friends of Mine Made The News...JFK Racially Profiling??

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003
Originally posted by: chambersc
I'm emphatically pro racial profiling.

Racial profiling will only increase hatred towards America. Hyppocricy at its prime. America portrays itself as the hub of freedom when actually its the exact opposite. Middle Easterners and South Asians will soon have no freedom.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: doze
According to the article were born in Iraq and returning from a vacation to the middle east. If that is not a red flag then don't know what else might be. Iraq is our enemy, and the government suspected that these people were possibly a security risk.

If they don't like the way they have been treated then they can return to Iraq. People not born in the USA need to remember that citizenship is a privilege not a right.

And what does that make those of us that are born in the United States? Excuse my ignorance, but there's a legal difference between an American and a citizen?

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
racial profiling will serve to change the face of the enemy.

that said, too bad they were profiled, but they can blame all the Middle Easterners who came before them and blew up sh#t and killed innocent civilians in the name of their god.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: MIKEMIKE
sorry, but stereotypes exist for a reason.

if you dont like them, then stfu, black women are loud, this is true.

more middle easterners blow up planes than white/black ppl... this is true.

white people typically go on murder sprees, this is true.

black ppl typically cant swim, deal drugs, and generally dont make as much money as whites, this is true.

This is true about the stereotypes being true. But it doesnt mean that you can take action without reason just based upon the color or religion of someone else. You can say that mass murders are commited by mostly white people, but it would make no damn sense to search random white people at every airport for that reason.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Jeff7
Originally posted by: mugs
Every once in a while a story hits the news about a little old lady being searched by the TSA, and how it's ridiculous because no little old lady is going to be part of a terrorist plot. If I was with Al Qaeda I'd be looking for disgruntled little old ladies to smuggle weapons onto planes - who's going to suspect the little old lady?

There are sometimes stories in the news about "little old ladies" who will take in a homeless guy, then get multiple high-coverage life insurance policies for him, and then kill him.
There are crazy old people out there willing to kill.

Originally posted by: Pacfanweb
Originally posted by: sisq0kidd
Originally posted by: Don Rodriguez
if white people flew planes into the twin towers then i'd expect to be racially profiled.

They blew up a hospital in Oklahoma. I didn't see them get racially profiled.
Individuals. Not members of a worldwide terrorist group. Big difference.
Ok, so it's a worldwide terrorist group of Mideastern Islamic extremists, and people of that race and creed are being profiled. But again, it is not all Islamic people who are violent. I'm sure that the vast majority of them are like us - they just want to live their lives peacefully, without worrying about being killed by some other person from some other country. It's the crazy ones who give the rest a bad name. Take what happened in Columbine, for instance: suddenly, shy, quiet, unsociable teenage guys who happen to like wearing black were all potential murderers weilding enough guns to make Neo of The Matrix duck for cover.
The point is, you don't see people like McVeigh getting racially profile because there aren't thousands of them out there belonging to an organization that is dedicated to blowing stuff up.
There are thousands of Islamic facists out there that are in such an organization. Most of them are of middle eastern descent, and that is PLENTY reason to racially profile.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
if white people flew planes into the twin towers then i'd expect to be racially profiled.

Did you not get what we were talking about? Or did you say that without reading the rest of the thread and at the same time not understanding the context in which me and Don Rodriguez were talking about?

But to reply to your retarded post, how are the people in the article part of a worldwide terrorist group?

We are talking about inviduals being detained by racial profiling. How is that any different?
How about YOU read what's quoted above. I was not responding to the article, I was responding to the person who tried to compare not racially profiling McVeigh to racially profiling Arabs.
I hope they do use racial profiling. Most terrorists operating against the U.S. are of middle eastern descent, so that's who any screeners should look at primarily.

McVeigh and Nichols were just two crackpots that didn't belong to any organization. That was a one-and-done event.
Not relevant to this topic.

sisq0kidd

Lifer
Apr 27, 2004

Did you not get what we were talking about? Or did you say that without reading the rest of the thread and at the same time not understanding the context in which me and Don Rodriguez were talking about?

But to reply to your retarded post, how are the people in the article part of a worldwide terrorist group?

We are talking about inviduals being detained by racial profiling. How is that any different?
How about YOU read what's quoted above. I was not responding to the article, I was responding to the person who tried to compare not racially profiling McVeigh to racially profiling Arabs.
I hope they do use racial profiling. Most terrorists operating against the U.S. are of middle eastern descent, so that's who any screeners should look at primarily.

McVeigh and Nichols were just two crackpots that didn't belong to any organization. That was a one-and-done event.

You just don't get it.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
I am extremely disgusted by the responses on this thread. Im not sure if all of the pro-racial profiling comments are being stretched or if thats how many of you actually feel.

Let me put it this way, my father was born in Iran but he has lived in this country for more than 30 years. He is in no way any different from any "white" people on this forum. Me being his son, I have some persian characteristics, however, I've lived here in MD all of my life. Now those of you who are supporting this racial profiing insist that it's perfectly alright for my father and I to be profiled based upon our appearance?

I agree with many of you that the majority of people who "blow sh*t up" are of middle eastern descent. But most of the people being profiled arent these terrorists we speak of; they're American citizens, and many of them American born (for those of you who think it makes a difference.)

How about some links to cases and situations where a blatent racial profiling incident lead to the capture or a terrorist...?

I'd also like to say that it is scary in a sense that US airports are begining to be the preferred tool to fight terrorism.

sisq0kidd

Lifer
Apr 27, 2004
Originally posted by: krunchykrome
I am extremely disgusted by the responses on this thread. Im not sure if all of the pro-racial profiling comments are being stretched or if thats how many of you actually feel.

Let me put it this way, my father was born in Iran but he has lived in this country for more than 30 years. He is in no way any different from any "white" people on this forum. Me being his son, I have some persian characteristics, however, I've lived here in MD all of my life. Now those of you who are supporting this racial profiing insist that it's perfectly alright for my father and I to be profiled based upon our appearance?

I agree with many of you that the majority of people who "blow sh*t up" are of middle eastern descent. But most of the people being profiled arent these terrorists we speak of; they're American citizens, and many of them American born (for those of you who think it makes a difference.)

How about some links to cases and situations where a blatent racial profiling incident lead to the capture or a terrorist...?

Don't even bother with them.

They will sing to the tune of racial profiling until it happens to them.

Estrella

Jan 29, 2006
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Well I hope they win their lawsuit.

wtih the current administration they will lose it on appeals, since bush believes anything is justifiable

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003

Don't even bother with them.

They will sing to the tune of racial profiling until it happens to them.

:thumbsup:

It does not do much to help your dignity to be treated like animals. To be treated differently hurts too.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Estrella
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Well I hope they win their lawsuit.

wtih the current administration they will lose it on appeals, since bush believes anything is justifiable

yes, because the court system is run by the administration :roll:

seriously, did you fall asleep during high school civics?

Jack Ryan

Golden Member
Jun 11, 2004

You just don't get it.

YOU don't get it.

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: mugs
Have you not noticed that there have been several foiled terrorism attempts by non-Arabs since 9/11?

Actually, NO, I haven't.... Care to elaborate and give us some examples? AFAIK, all terrorist plots uncovered so far involved either Muslims and/or Arabs.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
if i were arab, i'd want the government to racially profile arabs...that way it lowers my chance of getting blown to kingdom come

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: JS80
if i were arab, i'd want the government to racially profile arabs...that way it lowers my chance of getting blown to kingdom come

Your a bonifide idiot. Do you know what an arab is?

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Originally posted by: UNCjigga
People not born in the USA need to remember that citizenship is a privilege not a right.
That's about the dumbest thing I've ever read on these forums. Actually, moron, its pretty difficult to lose your citizenship after you're naturalized. Even an act of treason wouldn't strip you of citizenship.

I'd like to remind you that your education isn't a privilege, but a right and required for those under 18.

Not everyone who wants to can become a US citizen, explain to me how this not a privelege? I never said anything about losing citizenship.

edit : forgot that this is ATOT so I must also insult you ... jackass

BWHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA
And yes you are right, being a citizen isn't a right. Uncjigga just doesn't understand the difference between the two.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: JS80

Your a bonifide idiot. Do you know what an arab is?

fine, if I were muslim...blah blah

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005

I'd also like to say that it is scary in a sense that US airports are begining to be the preferred tool to fight terrorism.

oh, you mean UK didn't use racial profiling to find the liquid bombers (UK citizens btw) couple weeks ago?

LuNoTiCK

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2001
I'd rather lose a little security than freedom. I also think people should have the right to be a citizen.

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Jeff7
Implement measures like this, and terrorists will adapt. It's just like computer virus writers - the AV companies issue new updates to counter new threats, so the virus writers find other security holes to exploit. Humans are creatures of habit, and patterns. Watch a person or group long enough, and you can learn those patterns, and find weaknesses. And in keeping with the virus writer analogy, the only sure way to avoid getting a virus is to isolate your computer from the world - no Internet, no sneakernet file sharing, no network, nothing. Same way with the real world. If we want no terrorists at all, we would need to seal our borders completely. No international travel, trade, nothing. And I just don't see that happening.

How is that?
Will all the terrorists undergo skin bleaching, like Michael Jackson? Uncurl their hair and get platinum blonde dye-jobs? Get contact lenses for blue or grey eyes? 'cause if they do, well, then we're really in trouble.