2 Friends of Mine Made The News...JFK Racially Profiling??

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
Originally posted by: moshquerade
you are picking fights with anyone who opposes your view in this thread. pointing out the language filter was a low blow attempt to contest what i had to say while concentrating on that one word.

now, you are agreeing with me and the need for racial profiling. go figure.
my point is, if i were Muslim i would expect to be searched/questioned given the current state of affairs. that's life. deal with it. as far as "callious" conditions i am sure there are exaggerations by those who were detained.... maybe not, but they complained that for 6 hrs they were given no food or water. did they ask for any? i am sure the agents questioning them didn't feel it was their job to roll out the picnic blanket for them. so what? cooperate and your stay won't lengthen. remember there are two sides to each story. people jump to side against the government/law enforcement pretty much every time.
So you agree to racial profiling by the police then? If you do, then it's a sad state of affairs our nation is in when terrorists have desensitized us to the point where we don't care when our freedoms have eroded.
you can call it sad. i call it reality. i've already stated that if terrorist activity in the country and abroad had been mainly conducted by fair skinned red headed females that i would expect to be suspect. it would only be common sense and i would deal with it.
I have to give you credit for having the balls to publically admit you agree with racist cops and their tactics. If you were black or hispanic in this case, how would you feel? Text I never would have thought you would agree to racial profiling, but you learn something new about people every day. :( :(
ok, you wanna switch it up on me. i am talking about airport profiling. i never said all profiling was just.

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Originally posted by: fallenangel99
The girls are kinda cute...

I can't wait for the time (if it comes) that the white man starts making bombs, then WE all get to be racially profiled! Equal justice for all!

IRA?

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
you are picking fights with anyone who opposes your view in this thread. pointing out the language filter was a low blow attempt to contest what i had to say while concentrating on that one word.

my point is, if i were Muslim i would expect to be searched/questioned given the current state of affairs. that's life. deal with it. as far as "callious" conditions i am sure there are exaggerations by those who were detained.... maybe not, but they complained that for 6 hrs they were given no food or water. did they ask for any? i am sure the agents questioning them didn't feel it was their job to roll out the picnic blanket for them. so what? cooperate and your stay won't lengthen. remember there are two sides to each story. people jump to side against the government/law enforcement pretty much every time.
So you agree to racial profiling by the police then? If you do, then it's a sad state of affairs our nation is in when terrorists have desensitized us to the point where we don't care when our freedoms have eroded.
you can call it sad. i call it reality. i've already stated that if terrorist activity in the country and abroad had been mainly conducted by fair skinned red headed females that i would expect to be suspect. it would only be common sense and i would deal with it.
I have to give you credit for having the balls to publically admit you agree with racist cops and their tactics. If you were black or hispanic in this case, how would you feel? Text I never would have thought you would agree to racial profiling, but you learn something new about people every day. :( :(
ok, you wanna switch it up on me. i am talking about airport profiling. i never said all profiling was just.
So now there's a difference between "airport profiling" and cops on the road profiling? Ok, if you say so, lol.

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000

So now there's a difference between "airport profiling" and cops on the road profiling? Ok, if you say so, lol.

Yes there is. Are you naturally ignorant or by choice?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: dabuddha

I can't wait for the time (if it comes) that the white man starts making bombs, then WE all get to be racially profiled! Equal justice for all!

IRA?

Oh good point - we really ought to start profiling red haired people.

sisq0kidd

Lifer
Apr 27, 2004
Originally posted by: mugs

IRA?

Oh good point - we really ought to start profiling red haired people.

I say we start out with green haired, yellow lipped people ;)

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001

Pulling someone aside strictly because of their race is defined as profiling. There is no difference whether it's done by airport security or cops on the road. Check yourself before calling someone "ignorant".

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

Pulling someone aside strictly because of their race is defined as profiling. There is no difference whether it's done by airport security or cops on the road. Check yourself before calling someone "ignorant".

I can only imagine they're making the distinction because profiling at an airport is obviously intended to weed out terrorists, while profiling by regular cops is intended to find drug dealers and other low-level criminals. I think that's a silly distinction to make, because blacks are responsible for far more murders in this country than arabs. It's just easier to pick on arabs because so many racist Americans hate them.

I mean, if there's anyone a bigot hates more than the blacks and the jews, it's the arabs.

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000

Come back to this thread when you decide to enter the 21st century :)

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001

Come back to this thread when you decide to enter the 21st century :)
Come back when you actually have a counterpoint. Unless you enjoy defending people like moshquerade who think racial profiling is ok, then fine. ;)

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001

I can only imagine they're making the distinction because profiling at an airport is obviously intended to weed out terrorists, while profiling by regular cops is intended to find drug dealers and other low-level criminals. I think that's a silly distinction to make, because blacks are responsible for far more murders in this country than arabs. It's just easier to pick on arabs because so many racist Americans hate them.

I mean, if there's anyone a bigot hates more than the blacks and the jews, it's the arabs.
Yup profiling by race is profiling any way you slice it. And it's pretty sad when previously well respected members admit that they think we should do it in our airports, or on the roads. The terrorists are winning.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001

this is where you are wrong and beating your chest for no viable reason. Americans don't hate Arabs. Americans hate terrorists.

it does strike me though that those who stand on high and judge "bigots" are most likely in the same category.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

this is where you are wrong and beating your chest for no viable reason. Americans don't hate Arabs. Americans hate terrorists.

it does strike me though that those who stand on high and judge "bigots" are most likely in the same category.

Please explain to me why you think we should racially profile arabs in airports, but we shouldn't profile blacks and latinos on the streets. From a practical point of view, profiling arabs makes less sense - they can get non-arab Muslims to hijack airplanes, but what are the blacks and latinos going to do? Recruit white prep school kids to hold up liquor stores?

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: sisq0kidd
Originally posted by: krunchykrome
I am extremely disgusted by the responses on this thread. Im not sure if all of the pro-racial profiling comments are being stretched or if thats how many of you actually feel.

Let me put it this way, my father was born in Iran but he has lived in this country for more than 30 years. He is in no way any different from any "white" people on this forum. Me being his son, I have some persian characteristics, however, I've lived here in MD all of my life. Now those of you who are supporting this racial profiing insist that it's perfectly alright for my father and I to be profiled based upon our appearance?

I agree with many of you that the majority of people who "blow sh*t up" are of middle eastern descent. But most of the people being profiled arent these terrorists we speak of; they're American citizens, and many of them American born (for those of you who think it makes a difference.)

How about some links to cases and situations where a blatent racial profiling incident lead to the capture or a terrorist...?

Don't even bother with them.

They will sing to the tune of racial profiling until it happens to them.
not necessarily. if all the terrorists in the past five years were fair skinned females with red hair (sharing the same features as they all pretty much have) then i would EXPECT to be singled out when i traveled. so fvcking what? i'd be ready for it and totally understand. i would not be getting pussy hurt over it, but see it for EXACTLY what it is.

Off point, but if all terrorists were fair skinned redheads I'd be the single largest supporter of terrorism in the world.

forfor

Jul 7, 2006
Originally posted by: Lonyo
Originally posted by: Mike
Originally posted by: MIKEMIKE
Originally posted by: Dacalo
Some of the posts are so asanine and retarded, I don't know whether to LOL or be sad.

The articles outlines two problems: racial profiling and inhumane treatment. Now, I think Ibrahim family would have been more understanding if the custom agents treated them with more respect, rather than treating them like criminals. In other words, if the government is going to do this, at least do it with some decency.

6 hours dude...

i can go 8 without water/food/bathroom...

6 hours... is like waiting from breakfast to dinner to eat... you know how many ppl fvcking do that?

Thats becuase your fat ass just ate a big mac gordo sized meal. They were going on at least 8 hours, closer to 10 or 12 though.

Yeah, seriously.
They were held for 6 hours after they landed from a long plane journey.
And on the plane they probably had crappy airline food, which does not equate to them being full before having to sit for 6 hours.
Also, I don't know about you (MIKEMIKE), but I tend to drink between meals.

Heck, I don't even eat on airplanes... its crappy, full of sodium crap that they make look pretty... so heck yeah, I'd sue too. They can do all the search or questioning they want, as long as they treat me with respect and meet my human rights. I hope the family sues for a huge amount and wins, about time!

forfor

Jul 7, 2006
So according to moshquerade's posts, its ok to profile Arabs at airports, African Americans living near city schools, Asians who drive riced cars living in Asian communities, and of course Whites that hold the hand of a young white girl! Perfecto, what a society! :roll: Of course she'll defend profiling because only the first part of the above is happening currently and she is no Arab! LOL... what a joke.

kami333

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: forfor
So according to moshquerade's posts, its ok to profile Arabs at airports, African Americans living near city schools, Asians who drive riced cars living in Asian communities, and of course Whites that hold the hand of a young white girl! Perfecto, what a society! :roll: Of course she'll defend profiling because only the first part of the above is happening currently and she is no Arab! LOL... what a joke.

Hey as long as it makes us "safe"

May 6, 2004
Originally posted by: doze
Originally posted by: Dacalo
Some of the posts are so asanine and retarded, I don't know whether to LOL or be sad.

The articles outlines two problems: racial profiling and inhumane treatment. Now, I think Ibrahim family would have been more understanding if the custom agents treated them with more respect, rather than treating them like criminals. In other words, if the government is going to do this, at least do it with some decency.

I don't think we should have to be nice to people we believe may be a threat to our national security. It's not like they were handcuffed, blindfolded and loaded onto a bus to be locked up and interrogated. They were detained and questioned at the airport for a few hours.

How do you think the authorities in Jordan (or any other country) would react to you if they thought you were a threat to their national security?

Why not shoot them where they stand?

I believe that we've all gone freaking insane in the western world since 9/11. This stuff happens all over the world. It is imperative to treat people with respect still. It's still innocent until proven guilty.

ValkyrieofHouston

Golden Member
Sep 26, 2005
It is very unfortunate that this happened to them, but damn look at who the terrorist are! And look at who the people that support the terrorists are!... yes its profiling but they have to implement some kind of measure or means to start scrutinizing people through the security checks. Remember we still have sleeper cells within the US and other allie countries, so it makes no difference if they are US citizens or not. I think the security personelle are doing what they are suppose to be doing. I understand that these people were inconvenienced and felt embarrassed and harrrassed, but hopefully with all that has happenned certainly they understand why security is so tight and checking everybody out with a fine tooth comb! Thats my 02

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: forfor
the joke is the leap you are taking with what i said which only proves how much of a bigot you actually are.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001

Please explain to me why you think we should racially profile arabs in airports, but we shouldn't profile blacks and latinos on the streets. From a practical point of view, profiling arabs makes less sense - they can get non-arab Muslims to hijack airplanes, but what are the blacks and latinos going to do? Recruit white prep school kids to hold up liquor stores?
i have already said that profiling will change the face of terrorists until then they have shared a common face.

all you self righteous heros coming out of the woodwork to tell me that airport screening should be an equal person process are in denial, because it makes you feel good to deny the obvious and put your politically correct panties on for the day.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001

i have already said that profiling will change the face of terrorists until then they have shared a common face.

all you self righteous heros coming out of the woodwork to tell me that airport screening should be an equal person process are in denial, because it makes you feel good to deny the obvious and put your politically correct panties on for the day.
There is nothing polically correct about racial profiling, how wrong it is, and the people like you who advocate it. Keep living your life in fear of terrorists with a "common face" such as Middle Eastern, and I'll continue to live mine fearless and not worry about whether terrorists are circumventing our system (which criminals always will). You have already mentally lost your freedom and rights once you deemed racial profiling acceptable; you just haven't realized it yet. :thumbsdown:

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001

There is nothing polically correct about racial profiling, how wrong it is, and the people like you who advocate it. Keep living your life in fear of terrorists with a "common face" such as Middle Eastern, and I'll continue to live mine fearless and not worry about whether terrorists are circumventing our system (which criminals always will). You have already mentally lost your freedom and rights once you deemed racial profiling acceptable; you just haven't realized it yet. :thumbsdown:
what freedoms and rights have i lost? since i don't realize it and you do. enlighten me.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001

what freedoms and rights have i lost? since i don't realize it and you do. enlighten me.
You have mentally granted/agreed with the government to profile citizens because of fear of terrorists, hence you have relinquished the same rights as the people whose right are violated. Surprised you couldn't figure that out. ;)