2 Friends of Mine Made The News...JFK Racially Profiling??

Josh

Lifer
Mar 20, 2000
Article 1
Another article

What do you guys feel about this...I didn't know what to say to her when she told me. It's been on the news tons of times as well. She & her sister are considering legal action..

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Ronstang
What do I feel? About damn time. Sorry.

Yeah, racial profiling will prevent terrorist attacks - because it's not like the terrorists realize we're looking for arabs. Have you not noticed that there have been several foiled terrorism attempts by non-Arabs since 9/11?

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Well I hope they win their lawsuit.

neonerd

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Ronstang
What do I feel? About damn time. Sorry.

I'd have to agree.

El Al (The Airline) does this...they have a scale for security threats. Israelis and Jews are usually classified as the lowest threat, Westerners are usually classified as medium level threats, and Arabs (particularly males) are usually classified as high threat.

El Al happens to be the safest airline in the world....Of course there are other factors that contribute to this, but they must be doing something right.

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
I'd be pissed off, but I wouldn't sue.

This will all pass eventually and something new will become our problem. Very mild version of putting Japanese in camps during WW2.

doze

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
According to the article were born in Iraq and returning from a vacation to the middle east. If that is not a red flag then don't know what else might be. Iraq is our enemy, and the government suspected that these people were possibly a security risk.

If they don't like the way they have been treated then they can return to Iraq. People not born in the USA need to remember that citizenship is a privilege not a right.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
racial classifications are automatically suspect, but if they pass strict scrutiny (like michigan law school's entrance policy, though how it differed from michigan's undergraduate policy beats me), then the government can still do them. while it might not pass strict scrutiny, it'd probably be pretty damn close.
"Why is Congressman King calling for a policy which has been tried and proven not to work and which has been disavowed by security experts?" she said.
what policy is that?

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Originally posted by: doze
According to the article were born in Iraq and returning from a vacation to the middle east. If that is not a red flag then don't know what else might be. Iraq is our enemy, and the government suspected that these people were possibly a security risk.

If they don't like the way they have been treated then they can return to Iraq. People not born in the USA need to remember that citizenship is a privilege not a right.

Iraq never attacked the U.S , nor have Iraqis hated the U.S until we invaded their country.

You display your Bush bumper sticker proudly dont u

Iraq is the enemy of the U.S? ROFL

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

Iraq is not our enemy. We are fighting a war in Iraq (ostensibly) to free the Iraqi people from Saddam Hussein. Saddam Hussein was our enemy. Some Iraqis are our enemies. Iraq is not our enemy.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: mugs

Iraq is not our enemy. We are fighting a war in Iraq (ostensibly) to free the Iraqi people from Saddam Hussein. Saddam Hussein was our enemy. Some Iraqis are our enemies. Iraq is not our enemy.

Originally posted by: Aimster

Iraq never attacked the U.S , nor have Iraqis hated the U.S until we invaded their country.

You display your Bush bumper sticker proudly dont u

Iraq is the enemy of the U.S? ROFL
first, they were coming from jordan. second, i'm pretty damn sure that, even if iraq isn't our enemy, there are plenty of people over there that wouldn't mind seeing the US taken down a notch or 3. saddamnistas, followers of zarqawi (who was jordanian and was training in iraq prior to the invasion), maybe followers of sadr, etc. it's a high risk area of the world regardless of your personal views on the war in iraq.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
sorry, but stereotypes exist for a reason.

if you dont like them, then stfu, black women are loud, this is true.

more middle easterners blow up planes than white/black ppl... this is true.

white people typically go on murder sprees, this is true.

black ppl typically cant swim, deal drugs, and generally dont make as much money as whites, this is true.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: MIKEMIKE
sorry, but stereotypes exist for a reason.

if you dont like them, then stfu, black women are loud, this is true.

more middle easterners blow up planes than white/black ppl... this is true.

white people typically go on murder sprees, this is true.

black ppl typically cant swim, deal drugs, and generally dont make as much money as whites, this is true.

you forgot that indians and jews are both cheap.

apparently an indian friend of mine (who is cheap and gives people honorary brown-man status when they've been cheap) knows an indian guy married to a jewish girl. that will be the cheapest kid ever.

doze

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
If Iraq isn't our enemy then what are they ... our friend? If they were not our enemy then the military would not be required there now. I'm not saying that all Iraqi people or people of middle Eastern descent are our enemy, but some are. I have no problem with the government detaining people for a few hours to make sure they are not. If there was currently a threat from African terrorists or Asian terrorists instead of middle eastern then it would be black or asian peopl ebeing detained at the airport.

And yes I support Bush because he is the President, but I don't think he made all the right choices.

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
Some of the posts are so asanine and retarded, I don't know whether to LOL or be sad.

The articles outlines two problems: racial profiling and inhumane treatment. Now, I think Ibrahim family would have been more understanding if the custom agents treated them with more respect, rather than treating them like criminals. In other words, if the government is going to do this, at least do it with some decency.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: Dacalo
Some of the posts are so asanine and retarded, I don't know whether to LOL or be sad.

The articles outlines two problems: racial profiling and inhumane treatment. Now, I think Ibrahim family would have been more understanding if the custom agents treated them with more respect, rather than treating them like criminals. In other words, if the government is going to do this, at least do it with some decency.

6 hours dude...

i can go 8 without water/food/bathroom...

6 hours... is like waiting from breakfast to dinner to eat... you know how many ppl fvcking do that?

doze

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005

I don't think we should have to be nice to people we believe may be a threat to our national security. It's not like they were handcuffed, blindfolded and loaded onto a bus to be locked up and interrogated. They were detained and questioned at the airport for a few hours.

How do you think the authorities in Jordan (or any other country) would react to you if they thought you were a threat to their national security?

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
People not born in the USA need to remember that citizenship is a privilege not a right.
That's about the dumbest thing I've ever read on these forums. Actually, moron, its pretty difficult to lose your citizenship after you're naturalized. Even an act of treason wouldn't strip you of citizenship.

I'd like to remind you that your education isn't a privilege, but a right and required for those under 18.

OulOat

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2002

6 hours dude...

6 hours... is like waiting from breakfast to dinner to eat... you know how many ppl fvcking do that?

Actually, it's more like from lunch to dinner.

doze

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
Originally posted by: UNCjigga
People not born in the USA need to remember that citizenship is a privilege not a right.
That's about the dumbest thing I've ever read on these forums. Actually, moron, its pretty difficult to lose your citizenship after you're naturalized. Even an act of treason wouldn't strip you of citizenship.

I'd like to remind you that your education isn't a privilege, but a right and required for those under 18.

Not everyone who wants to can become a US citizen, explain to me how this not a privelege? I never said anything about losing citizenship.

edit : forgot that this is ATOT so I must also insult you ... jackass

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Tell you what...

When 6' tall white guys start flying planes into buildings, I'll allow them to racially profile me if all of the middle easterners tshirts on allow the police to racially profile them now.

I'll even let them profile me when I buy a Ryder truck and 1,000 pounds of fertilizer. No charge.

SophalotJack

Banned
Jan 6, 2006
It's one thing to target them and check them out to see if they are a threat.

It's a whole different story when they are held against their will for 6+ hours without food, water or leisure.

I'd sue to send a message. Make the checks quicker, especially if you've been searched previously.

Dec 4, 2002

6 hours dude...

Thats becuase your fat ass just ate a big mac gordo sized meal. They were going on at least 8 hours, closer to 10 or 12 though.