2 Friends of Mine Made The News...JFK Racially Profiling??

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: LuNoTiCK
I'd rather lose a little security than freedom. I also think people should have the right to be a citizen.

you're not being selfish at all.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: sisq0kidd
Originally posted by: krunchykrome
I am extremely disgusted by the responses on this thread. Im not sure if all of the pro-racial profiling comments are being stretched or if thats how many of you actually feel.

Let me put it this way, my father was born in Iran but he has lived in this country for more than 30 years. He is in no way any different from any "white" people on this forum. Me being his son, I have some persian characteristics, however, I've lived here in MD all of my life. Now those of you who are supporting this racial profiing insist that it's perfectly alright for my father and I to be profiled based upon our appearance?

I agree with many of you that the majority of people who "blow sh*t up" are of middle eastern descent. But most of the people being profiled arent these terrorists we speak of; they're American citizens, and many of them American born (for those of you who think it makes a difference.)

How about some links to cases and situations where a blatent racial profiling incident lead to the capture or a terrorist...?

Don't even bother with them.

They will sing to the tune of racial profiling until it happens to them.
not necessarily. if all the terrorists in the past five years were fair skinned females with red hair (sharing the same features as they all pretty much have) then i would EXPECT to be singled out when i traveled. so fvcking what? i'd be ready for it and totally understand. i would not be getting pussy hurt over it, but see it for EXACTLY what it is.

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000
Originally posted by: athithi
Racial profiling does injure the dignity of the passenger and security personnel would do well to keep that in mind while carrying out their duty. That would help passengers realize that it is just a job function and that security officers don't take pleasure in treating you with suspicion.

The problem is that people in power very rarely consider others when doing their job especially when it severly inhibits that other person's rights.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: moshquerade
I am extremely disgusted by the responses on this thread. Im not sure if all of the pro-racial profiling comments are being stretched or if thats how many of you actually feel.

Let me put it this way, my father was born in Iran but he has lived in this country for more than 30 years. He is in no way any different from any "white" people on this forum. Me being his son, I have some persian characteristics, however, I've lived here in MD all of my life. Now those of you who are supporting this racial profiing insist that it's perfectly alright for my father and I to be profiled based upon our appearance?

I agree with many of you that the majority of people who "blow sh*t up" are of middle eastern descent. But most of the people being profiled arent these terrorists we speak of; they're American citizens, and many of them American born (for those of you who think it makes a difference.)

How about some links to cases and situations where a blatent racial profiling incident lead to the capture or a terrorist...?

not necessarily. if all the terrorists so far were fair skinned females with red hair (sharing the same features as they all pretty much have) then i would EXPECT to be singled out when i traveled. so fvcking what? i'd be ready for it and totally understand. i would not be getting pussy hurt over it, but see it for EXACTLY what it is.

Here is the problem with that. You may find it acceptable to be singled out in a time of crisis in order to prevent terrorism. But for how long. This racial profiling has been going on for some time now with very poor results. This middle eastern terrorist problem is not going away anytime soon, and people of middle eastern descent have to live with this.

It is one thing to comply with racial profiling for a few months until a situation is resolved, but it is totally unacceptable to live like this for the next ten years.

Edit: Just read the part about you being okay with security profiling you for five years. I don't believe that for one second. As a human being, there is no way you could accept that for five years.

And the "pussy hurt" was a really stupid comment on your part.

sisq0kidd

Lifer
Apr 27, 2004
Originally posted by: moshquerade

not necessarily. if all the terrorists in the past five years were fair skinned females with red hair (sharing the same features as they all pretty much have) then i would EXPECT to be singled out when i traveled. so fvcking what? i'd be ready for it and totally understand. i would not be getting pussy hurt over it, but see it for EXACTLY what it is.

Does it make you feel good to go around the swear filter like that while not getting "pussy hurt" over things like this?

Seriously, what is wrong with you people? You are but one person who hasn't been through this. You have no idea what these people have been through, but yet speak about it as if you have been through it yourselves. And all of this chest thumping is through hypotheticals.

Give me a break Mosh, racial profiling is one thing, being treated like an animal is another.

:disgust:

sisq0kidd

Lifer
Apr 27, 2004
Originally posted by: JS80
I'd rather lose a little security than freedom. I also think people should have the right to be a citizen.

Can you explain to me how that is selfish?

I can turn that back around and say people are selfish for wanting security over freedom.

It's a matter of opinion and persepective, so stop being so blind.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Sue the hell out of them for inhumane treatment. Who is the real "terrorist" in this situation, our people or our government? To quote Benjamin Franklin: "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

sisq0kidd

Lifer
Apr 27, 2004
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
Sue the hell out of them for inhumane treatment. Who is the real "terrorist" in this situation, our people or our government? To quote Benjamin Franklin: "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Why the hell are you bringing in enlighten statements with regards to what's going on?

Can't you see people have already made up their mind that freedom needs to be compromised to ensure security?

Surely there is no way to ensure both...

sisq0kidd

Lifer
Apr 27, 2004
Originally posted by: Dacalo
Some of the posts are so asanine and retarded, I don't know whether to LOL or be sad.

The articles outlines two problems: racial profiling and inhumane treatment. Now, I think Ibrahim family would have been more understanding if the custom agents treated them with more respect, rather than treating them like criminals. In other words, if the government is going to do this, at least do it with some decency.

Best post here :thumbsup:

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: AnitaPeterson
Originally posted by: mugs
Have you not noticed that there have been several foiled terrorism attempts by non-Arabs since 9/11?

Actually, NO, I haven't.... Care to elaborate and give us some examples? AFAIK, all terrorist plots uncovered so far involved either Muslims and/or Arabs.

I already did, above. I gave 3 examples. While they may have all involved Muslims (I do not know if this is the case), they have not all involved Arabs. It is not Muslims that are being profiled, it is Arabs.

Edit: Here's a link for one of the plots:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13497335/
Narseal Batiste, Patrick Abraham, Stanley Grant Phanor, Naudimar Herrera, Burson Augustin, Lyglenson Lemorin, Rotschild Augustine

Looks like I was wrong about the truck driver from Ohio, he was Arab.

Moussaoui doesn't look Arab though. He's from Morocco.

Originally posted by: AnitaPeterson
Originally posted by: Jeff7
Implement measures like this, and terrorists will adapt.

How is that?
Will all the terrorists undergo skin bleaching, like Michael Jackson? Uncurl their hair and get platinum blonde dye-jobs? Get contact lenses for blue or grey eyes? 'cause if they do, well, then we're really in trouble.

I answered this one already too. They were actively recruiting South Africans. It's not hard to find Muslims who are not Arabs.

Edit: Link http://www.douglasfarah.com/article/90/is-south-africa-al-qaedas-new-rearguard

It seems al Qaeda has been running some operatives through South Africa as an R&R location, as well as using the nation as a recruitment center. It also gives great access to much of the rest of Africa, including Tanzania and Kenya, where the previous al Qaeda structure has existed for more than a decade.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Muggs just brought up an interesting point. Terrorists are actively recruiting from other races. When the next "muslim" attack is brought on upon us by "white" people, and then asian, and then black people; then what?

Lets all wait in the airport for ten hours while every person is racially profiled?

sisq0kidd

Lifer
Apr 27, 2004
Muggs just brought up an interesting point. Terrorists are actively recruiting from other races. When the next "muslim" attack is brought on upon us by "white" people, and then asian, and then black people; then what?

Lets all wait in the airport for ten hours while every person is racially profiled?

The problem with that is, any population with any substantial numbers here will not be profiled. That goes for Whites, Blacks and maybe even Asians.

But that is not where I see the problem. The problem is the treatment, humilation and just plain out loss of respect for fellow humans.

Have our intelligence devolved so much that we cannot distinguish three innocent "arab looking" individuals from terrorists? And furthermore, why the hell weren't they given any food, water? They are still innocent until proven guilty.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001

Why the hell are you bringing in enlighten statements with regards to what's going on?

Can't you see people have already made up their mind that freedom needs to be compromised to ensure security?

And why the hell don't you see that only the people who voted for this joke of an administration agree with the decision to sacrifice freedom for security? I don't and never will, there will not be peace until the worst administration in history is voted the hell out and it will take decades of our children's efforts to restore the damage that has been done.

Terrorists will always find a way, haven't you learned this yet? The only reason they caught the 21 in England was b/c someone snitched from the inside. Otherwise 8 international flights would have been blown to bits, even after our great "security" (note the sarcasm here).

But back on topic, this family should be sueing in a civil lawsuit, their treatment was unwarranted. I foresee big $ in their future.

Marinski

Golden Member
Apr 5, 2006
classicboxingfights.blogspot.com
I dont see a problem with this. The american people want more security but then they complain about racial profiling. If this is what needs to be done to ensure our safety then so be it. It doesnt matter if they are american citizens either. Any arab who is traveling to or communicating with anybody in the middle east is suspect because there are arab-americans sending money over to the middle east and funding terrorist organizations.

sisq0kidd

Lifer
Apr 27, 2004

And why the hell don't you see that only the people who voted for this joke of an administration agree with the decision to sacrifice freedom for security? I don't and never will, there will not be peace until the worst administration in history is voted the hell out and it will take decades of our children's efforts to restore the damage that has been done.

Terrorists will always find a way, haven't you learned this yet? The only reason they caught the 21 in England was b/c someone snitched from the inside. Otherwise 8 international flights would have been blown to bits, even after our great "security" (note the sarcasm here).

But back on topic, this family should be sueing in a civil lawsuit, their treatment was unwarranted. I foresee big $ in their future.

:confused: Meter broken?

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: Marinski
I dont see a problem with this. The american people want more security but then they complain about racial profiling. If this is what needs to be done to ensure our safety then so be it. It doesnt matter if they are american citizens either. Any arab who is traveling to or communicating with anybody in the middle east is suspect because there are arab-americans sending money over to the middle east and funding terrorist organizations.

This is the best the United States Government can do? Pick out some "arabs" at the airport, give them hell, and hope they catch a big one?

"White" people travel to the middle east as well. :roll:

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005

I can turn that back around and say people are selfish for wanting security over freedom.

He can live with a higher percentage of death. Other people are willing to take additional steps so that they lower their percentage of death. You're selfish by imposing your higher tolerance of being attacked by terrorists on others.

sisq0kidd

Lifer
Apr 27, 2004
Originally posted by: Marinski

I believe those two people to be separate individuals unless you have some sort of information regarding the connection between freedom loving, but yet security infatuated people.

And even if there were people like this, why are we not able to obtain both?

And as I said earlier, I believe it to be the attitude during detention rather than the act of detaining through racial measures iteslf that upsets people (well, myself).

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003

The problem with that is, any population with any substantial numbers here will not be profiled. That goes for Whites, Blacks and maybe even Asians.

But that is not where I see the problem. The problem is the treatment, humilation and just plain out loss of respect for fellow humans.

Have our intelligence devolved so much that we cannot distinguish three innocent "arab looking" individuals from terrorists? And furthermore, why the hell weren't they given any food, water? They are still innocent until proven guilty.

I agree. If the racial profling must happen at the moment to protect Americans, then it has to be done. But it is an unnaceptbale method of long term preventative security. However, if the United States government is as desperate to continue with these random selection methods, it MUST be done with courtesy, respect, and customer service.

sisq0kidd

Lifer
Apr 27, 2004

He can live with a higher percentage of death. Other people are willing to take additional steps so that they lower their percentage of death. You're selfish by imposing your higher tolerance of being attacked by terrorists on others.

That same selfishness that prevents you from replacing one of our soldiers in Iraq, the same selfishness that prevents you from donating your hard-earned cash to less fortunate people, the same selfishness that deems it ok to treat people less than humane if it secures your freedom?

Or is it the same selfishness that brings you to ATOT so you can declare that your opinion is somehow better than his?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

Ben Franklin disagrees with you, and I respect Ben Franklin more than I respect you.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005

That same selfishness that prevents you from replacing one of our soldiers in Iraq, the same selfishness that prevents you from donating your hard-earned cash to less fortunate people, the same selfishness that deems it ok to treat people less than humane if it secures your freedom?

Or is it the same selfishness that brings you to ATOT so you can declare that your opinion is somehow better than his?

1) i am doing my duty as a citizen by paying 32% of my income so that the government can fund the military
2) you are assuming that i make no donations. i give 5% of my income to charity. not to mention that of the 32% of the taxes the government takes a chunk goes to paying lazy sobs who don't have jobs
3) how the hell were these people treated "inhumanely"? it's your touchy feely attitude that caused the clinton administration to do nothing about terrorism even after WTC bombing in 1993, and Carter's administration doing nothing after the Iranian revolution.

you're nothing but a spoiled kid who thinks he knows all but in fact are a naive idiot

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: mugs

Ben Franklin disagrees with you, and I respect Ben Franklin more than I respect you.

you don't know in what context franklin said what he said. not only that, he never had the concept of suicide bombers. not only that, you don't know what his definition of losing freedom is. i doubt in this day and age he'd think added security in airports and monitoring of suspects in international phone calls would in any way constitute a loss of freedom to the average american.

sisq0kidd

Lifer
Apr 27, 2004

1) i am doing my duty as a citizen by paying 32% of my income so that the government can fund the military
2) you are assuming that i make no donations. i give 5% of my income to charity. not to mention that of the 32% of the taxes the government takes a chunk goes to paying lazy sobs who don't have jobs
3) how the hell were these people treated "inhumanely"? it's your touchy feely attitude that caused the clinton administration to do nothing about terrorism even after WTC bombing in 1993, and Carter's administration doing nothing after the Iranian revolution.

you're nothing but a spoiled kid who thinks he knows all but in fact are a naive idiot

Great, another winner with personal attacks.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003

Brilliant