Question Zen 4 builders thread

Page 89 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
Finally today get my new AM5 build up & running, that is running in the sense of mobo leds are on & CPU fans spinning, keyboard light is on but I think its taking a particularly long time for memory training. However the VGA led is on all the time despite trying to use only the iGPU via HDMI or even a dedicated but oldish VGA attached (R9 Nano). I have an RX6800 XT but its used in another rig atm. I'll put some pics up asap.
The ADATA RAM is listed as supported on the QVL for my set of RAM.
But any idea why the boot is stalling like this? a check of the mobo site reveals only one bios currently available & its using AGESA 1.0.0.5 C.

Edit: Ok , so this is a bit embarrassing but finally got the board to boot & it has only F2 Bios (Sept 22') confusing cause' the board did not come out until March this year...hard to confirm though when I could not get an image on the monitor!
Found out the reason for no image on monitor was just a simple HDMI cord problem! this is a cord that had hardly any usage at all & stored well too.
I watched a video recently that touched on this too. I think it was the recent GN video about the X3D chips. He mentioned that they got a board with a very old BIOS on it and was really surprised. Glad you got your issue sorted.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Finally today get my new AM5 build up & running, that is running in the sense of mobo leds are on & CPU fans spinning, keyboard light is on but I think its taking a particularly long time for memory training. However the VGA led is on all the time despite trying to use only the iGPU via HDMI or even a dedicated but oldish VGA attached (R9 Nano). I have an RX6800 XT but its used in another rig atm. I'll put some pics up asap.
The ADATA RAM is listed as supported on the QVL for my set of RAM.
But any idea why the boot is stalling like this? a check of the mobo site reveals only one bios currently available & its using AGESA 1.0.0.5 C.

Edit: Ok , so this is a bit embarrassing but finally got the board to boot & it has only F2 Bios (Sept 22') confusing cause' the board did not come out until March this year...hard to confirm though when I could not get an image on the monitor!
Found out the reason for no image on monitor was just a simple HDMI cord problem! this is a cord that had hardly any usage at all & stored well too.
I did a BIOS flashback without the CPU installed, to be sure to have a new BIOS.

Hotrod2go

Nov 17, 2021
I did a BIOS flashback without the CPU installed, to be sure to have a new BIOS.
Thank, I did that when it booted up with original bios. In the end the problem was a silly HDMI cable playing up & yet there I was waiting for quite some time thinking its highly likely its doing its RAM training cause' of first boot with my set of RAM. It shipped with an F2 bios so kind of surprised it accepted the non X 7000 chip but now have the latest F6A on it & all's going well except for some cooling issues that will be resolved by the time a new cooler ships for me.

1hr-p95Blend-factorydefaults_F6bios - Copy.png

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Thank, I did that when it booted up with original bios. In the end the problem was a silly HDMI cable playing up & yet there I was waiting for quite some time thinking its highly likely its doing its RAM training cause' of first boot with my set of RAM. It shipped with an F2 bios so kind of surprised it accepted the non X 7000 chip but now have the latest F6A on it & all's going well except for some cooling issues that will be resolved by the time a new cooler ships for me.

View attachment 80966
What cooler do you have? Basically the CPU will boost until you reach your thermal limit or wattage limit set.

Reactions: Hotrod2go

Hotrod2go

Nov 17, 2021
What cooler do you have? Basically the CPU will boost until you reach your thermal limit or wattage limit set.
I attempted to graft on my Cooler Master MA620P as it natively supports AM4. Of course AMD claim AM4 coolers are compatible with AM5 but it all depends on how the HSF is mounted on the board. In the end, I installed the stock cooler that comes with the 7700 & it performs a dam site better than than the Cooler Master. After removing that cooler, I noticed the HS practically did not make proper contact with the IHS, air getting in can be quite a problem as I'm sure you know. One would never know without sophisticated 3D imaging tools to penetrate the material in order to access proper contact with IHS.
The CM cooler felt like it was properly installed without overtightening the mounting screws & that can cause a whole lot of other hardware problems a bit similar to the socket 1700 issues some time ago...
The stock cooler performs admirable. About 17C less temps although I did some PBO tweaks with negative offset of 25 value in that run of p95 blend (as shown below).

I also removed the stock TIM & applied some Thermal Grizzley Kryonaut instead. The stock cooler is whisper quiet too, with option for those pretty colours, aka ARGB! :smirk:

p95Blend_2+hrs - Copy.jpg

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
I have a question regarding temps, i tuned my 7950x a bit based on a guide from some guy on overclock.net, with some little adjustments. Its the approach using the dynamic switcher thing, with PBO set to boost up to 5,85 and all-core clocks set to 5,25/5,175 per CCD.
All is nice and shiny so far, i mean i havent tested for stability in Prime or anything, the best i did was 30 minutes of CB23, but so far did not have single crash or BSOD, today worked all day in 3Dsmax on relatively big scene and its OK.

The only thing that bothers me a bit are the temps, as not only are they 95C in Cinebench all-core load (as AMD advertised), but i have seen even more, Coretemp reported even 100C once. Should i be worried or is that fine? I dont feel like meddling with it, since its seemingly stable.

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
It's fine. Its designed for it, and its supposed to boost up to very high speeds helped by higher temperature limit.

If however you find a way to tweak the various knobs for temp, power, frequency, voltage and get higher real world performance by reducing the temp limit (probably only in power limited scenarios...?) then go ahead.

I finally tried the various PBO settings and my CPU seems utterly unable to handle a negative offset without crashing. So if I want to reduce the fan noise during the summer I'm considering setting a lower temperature or power limit. I haven't yet experimented enough to tell if it will be at all effective.

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
It's fine. Its designed for it, and its supposed to boost up to very high speeds helped by higher temperature limit.

If however you find a way to tweak the various knobs for temp, power, frequency, voltage and get higher real world performance by reducing the temp limit (probably only in power limited scenarios...?) then go ahead.

I finally tried the various PBO settings and my CPU seems utterly unable to handle a negative offset without crashing. So if I want to reduce the fan noise during the summer I'm considering setting a lower temperature or power limit. I haven't yet experimented enough to tell if it will be at all effective.

Thanks! I did read abit on the topic and it seems that regular non-3D chips have that thermal shutdown point at 115C, so 100C seems still reasonably far away. Additionally, its not like i run cinebench or anything similar all-day long, in fact CB runs are the only thing i do that can peg CPU that hard. Just few moments ago i worked with Octane Render and it does use all the cores during its scene building phase - the clocks were actually 5300+ on all the cores, as they did not run at 100 percent each and only used about 150W (rather than 220W+ in CB23). Temps barely crossed 80C, so its all good.

BTW from what i could gather, with my approach to OC (using dynamic OC switcher) meddling with Curve Optimizer would not help, because that one only applies when PBO, which is not the case for all-core load with dynamic switcher. I guess i could set up the vcore to certain static value to help (instead of Auto), but i am not sure about that, what value should i set, and whether that would not affect the PBO settings during light-threaded workloads (like trying to apply negative offset from lower base than before, thus causing a crash).

Hotrod2go

Nov 17, 2021
Received a new Deep Cool AK620 cooler today. My p95 blend test for 2 hrs minimum has produced a significant drop in temps running this app. It's amazing to see the chip running AVX512 code whilst still running below 70C! Ambient temps are the same as when I had the stock cooler (which I posted that result already in this thread from before > #2207). So its a good comparison all factors taken into consideration. All up, extremely pleased with the efficiency this cooler has bought me. I did use Themal Grizzly's Kryonaut TIM, same as before with the stock cooler so a pretty accurate comparison

p95Blend_2.5+hrs_NewCooler - Copy.jpg

7000 series non X are amazingly efficient for the power consumption/performance especially when gifted with a decent after market tower cooler & quality TIM.

Also, my 7 yr old case's power switch & consequently the whole circuit board it sits in died just as I was booting up to test the new cooler.... can't complain though, the old case served me well, Nanoxia made some great stuff! An amazing day with success on the cooler but failure in the PC case power & LED panel! :cool:

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
Did the update and everything seems to run as supposed. I'm glad I saved my memory timings before the update, so it was easy to load them afterwards. :)
Latest bioses seem to be very good and enabling 48gb dimms for some board owners. glad to get past the soc voltage issues and see it patched. it should be smooth sailing for zen 4 from here on out.

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
Just turned my computer on and it said "BIOS is updating". Then it rebooted itself and got into Windows, as usual. I checked CPU-Z and it still says version 0805, as was before (Asus board).

My question is:

- how is it even possible, can BIOS update the same way as Windows or apps, automatically just by being connected to internet?
- what exactly was updated, if the version seems to be the same as it was before. I dont presume they update older version of BIOS, i mean the new bios with new number is the update, right?

EDIT:

There seems to be a change though - when i run CB23, the vcore used to be 1,25V or 1,255V, per HWinfo. Now it reads 1,28V!

Last edited:

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Just turned my computer on and it said "BIOS is updating". Then it rebooted itself and got into Windows, as usual. I checked CPU-Z and it still says version 0805, as was before (Asus board).

My question is:

- how is it even possible, can BIOS update the same way as Windows or apps, automatically just by being connected to internet?
- what exactly was updated, if the version seems to be the same as it was before. I dont presume they update older version of BIOS, i mean the new bios with new number is the update, right?

EDIT:

There seems to be a change though - when i run CB23, the vcore used to be 1,25V or 1,255V, per HWinfo. Now it reads 1,28V!
Some BIOS can get the updates from the internet (but not automatically AFAIK) , and not all companies have made it enterely secure... https://uk.pcmag.com/motherboards/1...erboard-models-suffer-from-potential-backdoor

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001

My question is:

EDIT:

Do you have that Asus Armory Crate software installed? That might do auto bios updates.

Jul 27, 2020
Happens all the time on Dell/HP systems (seen both desktops/laptops do it) even with a clean Windows install. Windows Update itself downloads and installs the manufacturer's BIOS update package which then proceeds at the next boot with a lengthy (minimum 5 min) update of Intel Management Engine and then the UEFI firmware itself. On a laptop, it's fine but on a desktop??? Can't be great for anyone living in an area with frequent power outages.

Reactions: Ranulf

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Performed a clean run of the most wonderfully accurate memory benchmark in existence.

Edit: I should also note that this is still with the frequency CCD disabled.

View attachment 80292

Bought 64GB of G.SKILL DDR5 memory.

Went with the 6400 XMP kit since I knew G.SKILL would never release an EXPO 6400. That speed requires high voltage and is not a guarantee on a broad range of boards.. The 6400 kit is better binned and I can tweak all voltage and timing settings much better than EXPO could ever do.

Don't need 64GB. They exist and I get bored.

F5-6400J3239G32GX2-TZ5RK running at 6200 with my own timings. Stability tested for several days.

1685850443540.png

pj-

May 5, 2015
I noticed an interesting change on my 7950x3d tonight. I've been playing Far Cry New Dawn sporadically for the last couple of weeks and much like FC5 it was a hot game, consistently getting my CPU up to 85-88C during gameplay. Tonight it was somehow 30 degrees cooler at 53-55C. It was also running at around 130fps in a dense area vs. 165 before.

After a little digging, it seems the game is now running on the non-cache CCD. I used process lasso to put it back on CCD0 and CPU temps and performance went back to previous levels.

I checked the box in xbox game bar to "remember this is a game" but it doesn't seem to stick. Not sure what changed

Hotrod2go

Nov 17, 2021
I noticed an interesting change on my 7950x3d tonight. I've been playing Far Cry New Dawn sporadically for the last couple of weeks and much like FC5 it was a hot game, consistently getting my CPU up to 85-88C during gameplay. Tonight it was somehow 30 degrees cooler at 53-55C. It was also running at around 130fps in a dense area vs. 165 before.

After a little digging, it seems the game is now running on the non-cache CCD. I used process lasso to put it back on CCD0 and CPU temps and performance went back to previous levels.

I checked the box in xbox game bar to "remember this is a game" but it doesn't seem to stick. Not sure what changed
That must be annoying, you shouldn't have to use 3rd party tool to get it to function properly. What OS you on?

reb0rn

Dec 31, 2009
Just got my first zen 4 CPU 7900x and its a dud, need core optimizer +10 to work stable at stock(ram also at stock no xpm profile used) or it bsod while idle load in windows/linux, will see how RMA go and if I can get new one swap on hand, as I refuse to wait as its bought in other state and not where i live

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Just got my first zen 4 CPU 7900x and its a dud, need core optimizer +10 to work stable at stock(ram also at stock no xpm profile used) or it bsod while idle load in windows/linux, will see how RMA go and if I can get new one swap on hand, as I refuse to wait as its bought in other state and not where i live
Bios or memory could be at fault, even at stock. Just so you know it could be a long process if this is true. BAD CPUs are very rare. Bad memory or bios settings are common.

Reactions: scannall