YART: Should public schools be allowed to have a Bible studies class?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

przero

Platinum Member
Dec 30, 2000
"The Bible is the basis for Christianity. Teaching a Bible studies course would be tantamount to the "establishment of a religion" which is strictly forbidden by the Federal Constitution."

Where?

jagr10

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2001
As long as they teach studies of all the religious books out there then it's fair! Don't just teach one and not the others.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: przero
"The Bible is the basis for Christianity. Teaching a Bible studies course would be tantamount to the "establishment of a religion" which is strictly forbidden by the Federal Constitution."

Where?

Umm...1st Amendment.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

The letter of the law says Congress shall make no law but the courts have, in their history, shown that government entities (including schools) have fallen under that umbrella (just take the Roy Moore case as an example.)

Netopia

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The letter of the law says Congress shall make no law but the courts have, in their history, shown that government entities (including schools) have fallen under that umbrella (just take the Roy Moore case as an example.)

Here... allow me to translate that:

According to what the Founding Fathers wrote, and taken in the full context of all of their other writings that often cited how important STATES? RIGHTS were and how the Federal Government shouldn't medal in them? in THAT ORIGINAL CONTEXT, only the FEDERAL CONGRESS would have to abstain from the establishment of a specific religion. HOWEVER? after a bunch of self-seeking individuals pushed the courts, the meaning of the Constitution was reinterpreted from what the original intent was and now we have this mess where citizens of a state cannot even decide simple things like having a Bible Study in school because the Federal Government will push its power beyond its true authority.

Yeah? that was a mouthful, but I think that?s a better translation of what you said.

Now I?m off for Choir practice, then to teach Jr. High Sunday School and then attend a Worship Service and sing with the Choir.

Joe
Who Home Schools Just So He Won?t Have To Deal With The Unpatriotic Laws and Teachings of Today

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Netopia

According to what the Founding Fathers wrote, and taken in the full context of all of their other writings that often cited how important STATES? RIGHTS were and how the Federal Government shouldn't medal in them? in THAT ORIGINAL CONTEXT, only the FEDERAL CONGRESS would have to abstain from the establishment of a specific religion. HOWEVER? after a bunch of self-seeking individuals pushed the courts, the meaning of the Constitution was reinterpreted from what the original intent was and now we have this mess where citizens of a state cannot even decide simple things like having a Bible Study in school because the Federal Government will push its power beyond its true authority.

Yeah? that was a mouthful, but I think that?s a better translation of what you said.

Now I?m off for Choir practice, then to teach Jr. High Sunday School and then attend a Worship Service and sing with the Choir.

Joe
Who Home Schools Just So He Won?t Have To Deal With The Unpatriotic Laws and Teachings of Today

Which is completely fine with me!

I don't want my children having to endure narrow-minded views and Creationism.

BTW, Thomas Jefferson *did* want to include freedom *from* religion in the original text and James Madison supported him.

Nice little article...esp. the section on "Displaying The Ten Commandments":
http://www.religioustolerance.org/sep_c_st.htm#ten

BTW, it's "mettle", not "medal".

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
No, but a comparative religions or comparative beliefs class would be okay. A class to focus on bible study alone would be a little out of place.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Sifl
Originally posted by: SherEPunjab
they should, but they must then also have a Gita, Quran, Tora, Buddhist book (?), and atheist class.

I assume in athiest class we all sit around playing xbox drinking beer.
No, Atheist class would consist of studying religion more so than the religious people do, mainly Christians. I've found that they do not study the Bible, they recite the Bible, like a bunch of drones.

That being said, I have no problem with Bible studies in class. It would be a great place for kids to understand how much of a joke the Bible is. You can point out how donkeys and snakes used to talk. You can also point out how the all knowing God thought the earth was flat and the sun revolved around the earth. Or how God teaches parents to kill their kids if they curse them. Yes, alot of topics to cover. Hell, I'll volunteer to teach the class. When does enrollment start? ;)

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
An emphatic no. An after school club yes, but no way in hell as a course during the day which counts towards your GPA and you get credit for. Also, if you take any AP history class or AP English class, a large portion of it involves religion. For instance, when I took AP World History, a large chunk of a quarter was spent talking about the 5 major religions, their beliefs and their impact on history. In my AP English Literature class this year, almost every book we read, there is some biblical allusion that the teacher talks about.

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Originally posted by: axelfox
In 7th grade our class studied Islam. Why didn't someone throw a fit back then? ~1992

Because you can read and study any religious writing you'd like in school as long as it has nothing to do with Christianity. We must be tolerant of all religions. Except Christianity of course. The hypocrisy is incredible. *sigh*

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: lirion
As long as it's an elective class, and it deals with the bible as literature, or bible history, then sure. I wouldn't agree with having a class that deals with the spiritual end of it in public school though.

agreed and i voted yes.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: MAME
Originally posted by: HotChic
Hm, study the book that has had the single greatest affect on the shape of Western history, either good or bad. What a novel idea.
Wow, you're totally not biased.
Good or bad, you can't deny that she's right. No other single book has had even close to the amount of influence on Western culture as the Bible.

That said, I don't think it has a real place in public high schools. There is simply not enough time available to high schools to fit it and the necessary other courses that come with it into their curriculum. Plus high schools exist to create a general foundation knowledge in preparation for a focusing of interest in college. High schools just don't have the time necessary to go into the details that a class like this would demand. As far as at university, it should absolutely be offered. Then again, colleges have the resources to offer the other religious studies classes to limit bias and have the resources to delve deeply into the literary roots of the books. People in high school aren't even going to read hundreds and hundreds of pages by obscure (and not so obscure) theologians and historians that are helpful for an understanding of only the few undisputed letters of Paul.

I should also point out that, in almost all cases, a theologian is more concerned with deciphering what the text actually said than with pushing any particular agenda. One can see this in Schweitzer's theology as he does not come out with an ideology that is all that functional.

ZV

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
huh really? i'm sure the bible has something about capitalism and democracy in there right? its only during periods of history where religious ferver died down did societies flourish with science, philosophy, culture. the other parts are called the dark ages. we flourished in spite of it.

and frankly, with all the whining about our children failing in all core subjects, there isn't the time or money to be spared for such a thing.
While people try to use the medieval period as evidence of how the church screws things up, it's a view based on ignorance. The idea of witch-hunting came in at the tail-end of the medieval period, and is far more attached to Rennaissance thought than to medieval thought. The subjegation of women did not really being until approximately the same time, and even then it was not until the Victorian age that the idea of women as inferior really reached its peak.

I'm sorry, but the facts are against you if you're going to try to use the medieval period as an example of a terrible time.

ZV

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001

Joe

yea well, people have different ways of interpreting the constitution... nobody is right or wrong, it's just a matter of opinion.

Kipper

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2000
Originally posted by: conjur

Joe

Which is completely fine with me!

I don't want my children having to endure narrow-minded views and Creationism.

BTW, Thomas Jefferson *did* want to include freedom *from* religion in the original text and James Madison supported him.

Nice little article...esp. the section on "Displaying The Ten Commandments":
http://www.religioustolerance.org/sep_c_st.htm#ten

BTW, it's "mettle", not "medal".

You're BOTH wrong. It's MEDDLE - i.e. FEDERAL GOVERNMENT shouldn't MEDDLE in states' affairs.

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
Originally posted by: flxnimprtmscl
In 7th grade our class studied Islam. Why didn't someone throw a fit back then? ~1992

Because you can read and study any religious writing you'd like in school as long as it has nothing to do with Christianity. We must be tolerant of all religions. Except Christianity of course. The hypocrisy is incredible. *sigh*

oh please, when has objective study of christianity been challenged?

MAME

Banned
Sep 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
Originally posted by: MAME
Originally posted by: HotChic
Hm, study the book that has had the single greatest affect on the shape of Western history, either good or bad. What a novel idea.
Wow, you're totally not biased.
Good or bad, you can't deny that she's right. No other single book has had even close to the amount of influence on Western culture as the Bible.

That said, I don't think it has a real place in public high schools. There is simply not enough time available to high schools to fit it and the necessary other courses that come with it into their curriculum. Plus high schools exist to create a general foundation knowledge in preparation for a focusing of interest in college. High schools just don't have the time necessary to go into the details that a class like this would demand. As far as at university, it should absolutely be offered. Then again, colleges have the resources to offer the other religious studies classes to limit bias and have the resources to delve deeply into the literary roots of the books. People in high school aren't even going to read hundreds and hundreds of pages by obscure (and not so obscure) theologians and historians that are helpful for an understanding of only the few undisputed letters of Paul.

I should also point out that, in almost all cases, a theologian is more concerned with deciphering what the text actually said than with pushing any particular agenda. One can see this in Schweitzer's theology as he does not come out with an ideology that is all that functional.

ZV

Then see my later post. You do not study a hammer to learn about modern architecture. Screw the bible, how about how relgion was used to oppress everyone. Or how the corrupt activities caused the Western History as we know it.

The contents of the Bible are completely pointless. As are the beliefs of the religion.

BladeWalker

Aug 31, 2002
Originally posted by: Kmackalopogus
Originally posted by: BladeWalker
No. Separation of church and state.

Do you know where seperation of church and state came from and why it is said? It came from a letter written to the Danbury Association in 1801 which stated that the state should be kept out of the church to prevent a state religion like england.

People always take little quotes out of things and bend them and shape them so that they mean something else.

You should find out where something comes from before you try to quote it.

Geez, that's well and dandy. Thanks for the history lesson. Now what's your stance? My above statement merely reflects my view/opinion of this topic. To clarify for you "I believe in the separation of church and state".

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
huh really? i'm sure the bible has something about capitalism and democracy in there right? its only during periods of history where religious ferver died down did societies flourish with science, philosophy, culture. the other parts are called the dark ages. we flourished in spite of it.

and frankly, with all the whining about our children failing in all core subjects, there isn't the time or money to be spared for such a thing.
While people try to use the medieval period as evidence of how the church screws things up, it's a view based on ignorance. The idea of witch-hunting came in at the tail-end of the medieval period, and is far more attached to Rennaissance thought than to medieval thought. The subjegation of women did not really being until approximately the same time, and even then it was not until the Victorian age that the idea of women as inferior really reached its peak.

I'm sorry, but the facts are against you if you're going to try to use the medieval period as an example of a terrible time.

ZV

interesting... how was science doing during the middle ages though? you had galileo, but the church got rid of him...

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Originally posted by: gopunk
Originally posted by: flxnimprtmscl

oh please, when has objective study of christianity been challenged?

BIBLE STUDY IS NOT OBJECTIVE STUDY OF CHRISTIANITY!!!!! It's a completely different thing from a class that studies Islam, or studies Christianity, or studies Hinduism.

PELarson

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2001
Originally posted by: her209
Why/why not?

If you allow one religion the privelege to have study classes, you HAVE to allow all religions the same privilege. Then you get some "christian" parents up in arms because the little John or Jane might be exposed to other thoughts and ideas.

"" are to emphasize the trouble I have reconciling some peoples brand of "christianity" with Christianity!