YART: Should public schools be allowed to have a Bible studies class?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Originally posted by: JackBurton
Seriously guys, I'll volunteer to teach the class. I'd be more than happy to teach the Bible. I especially like the part where they kill Jesus, but then he turns transparent and then flies to his home in the clouds. :)

Also, is it completely psychotic to drink human blood, but ok as long as it is Jesus' human blood? I just want to clear things up here.

I hate to feed the trolls so I'll just give this a
rolleye.gif

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: LordMagnusKain
Also, is it completely psychotic to drink human blood, but ok as long as it is Jesus' human blood? I just want to clear things up here.
metaphysical symbolism.
So it's ok to pretend to drink someone's blood?

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
NO

There are so many other places to learn Bible vomit: church, your home, private schools, college, etc. Why must it be brought into the public school systems? It's been stated before: if there was a class devoted to Quran or Torah study, then the sheeple would be mad as hell.

...and don't give me the typical "this country was founded on" response when referring to Xianity. Many of our founding fathers were NOT Xian.

microphobia

Sep 3, 2002
Originally posted by: JackBurton
Originally posted by: LordMagnusKain
metaphysical symbolism.
So it's ok to pretend to drink someone's blood?

calm down....
we can see you're not a big fan of christianity, the beliefs anyway.
that's great and you don't need to be an ass about it, but some people just like to have the last word....
anyway the point here is that grade school and religion don't mix.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
my tax dollars will not go to indoctrinate or promote one specific religion. make it a "religious studies" class where students learn about all major viewpoints (including athesim) and i'd say ok. but leave the bible thumping to the catholic schools.

BladeWalker

Aug 31, 2002
Originally posted by: JupiterJones
Originally posted by: BladeWalker
No. Separation of church and state.

What church would be involved in this class? Your answer makes no sense.

Given the context of this thread and it still went over your head?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Probably anything that is important to a huge portion of the population should be taught in school to some degree. Bible study could be one, finances another.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
No religion. Perhaps Moral Science and Ethics instead. If people want their kids to study the bible they can send them to Sunday school.

Insomniac

Oct 9, 1999
No. Public schools are crowded enough. If they can allocate a teacher to teach that, he/she can teach another heavily filled course instead. Every talks about not enough money, is there a need to dilute it more? Go to Sunday School or set some type of class up at your church. I'm sure many people would like to do that.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
If it's an ELECTIVE then why not? People would have to voluntarily sign up for it so they coudln't complain they were being forced into things they didn't believe in or anything like that. THe whole separation of Church and State crap is so outdated it should just go away. That's left over (like so many other things) from long ago when the churches were basically trying to take over the government.

There's no reason not to as it woudln't affect anyone that didn't want to take it.

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
I am as atheist as they come...but I believe they should. When you say public schools, I'm assuming you mean public colleges where the class would not be required. I do not think a public school should have a required bible studies class, but in a college environment, it would be almost anti-educational to restrict the studying of the bible or any other book.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: FrankyJunior
That's left over (like so many other things) from long ago when the churches were basically trying to take over the government.

Knock knock!
(who's there?)
Jerry Falwell!
(Jerry Falwell who?)
JERRY FALWELL FOR PRESIDENT!

Believe me, there are still churches (read: religious organizations) still trying to take over the government.

However, I agree with the notion that objective, academic study of any and all religions should be available to anyone who is interested. Required? No.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Originally posted by: PricklyPete
I am as atheist as they come...but I believe they should. When you say public schools, I'm assuming you mean public colleges where the class would not be required. I do not think a public school should have a required bible studies class, but in a college environment, it would be almost anti-educational to restrict the studying of the bible or any other book.

No we're talking about schools as in elementary, middle and high school. A state college should have whatever it wants.