YART: Should public schools be allowed to have a Bible studies class?

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
If the class would be another effort by the Christians to push their religion into public schools, NO! But I would not have a problem with a comparative religion class.

Wallydraigle

Banned
Nov 27, 2000
As long as it's an elective class, and it deals with the bible as literature, or bible history, then sure. I wouldn't agree with having a class that deals with the spiritual end of it in public school though.

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
ABSOLUTELY NOT.

the reasons are obvious. It's unfair for other poeple of other religions. They should take out "under god" in the pledge of allegiance, and take out undergod from our dollar bills

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
of course they should. Studying religion should be an elective, perhaps a religion class.

Wallydraigle

Banned
Nov 27, 2000
Originally posted by: DanTMWTMP
ABSOLUTELY NOT.

the reasons are obvious. It's unfair for other poeple of other religions. They should take out "under god" in the pledge of allegiance, and take out undergod from our dollar bills

The question, as phrased, has nothing to do with the study of religion or spirituality, but the study of a book, which, like it or not, has had a profound influence on world history for the last three thousand-odd years.

bigdog1218

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2001
Originally posted by: lirion
As long as it's an elective class, and it deals with the bible as literature, or bible history, then sure. I wouldn't agree with having a class that deals with the spiritual end of it in public school though.

Exactly, if the class is about studying history or about studying a book not allowing the class would be ridiculous, I had to learn about other religions when I was in High school, but I think its only ok to discriminate against christianity.

illustri

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2001
you mean high schools instead of universities right? there are many religious study programs at public universities

as for high schools im inclined to say no, even if its an elective it wouldnt be hard for some people to say, make it part of a core requirement or arrange schedules such that it'd be difficult NOT to take

in a university id say go nuts, have whatever religous studies programs you want -- its in a setting MUCH more conducive for the exploration of ideas and free thought, furthermore most collegiate resources allow for many viable alternatives should you be adverse to taking that class

SherEPunjab

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
they should, but they must then also have a Gita, Quran, Tora, Buddhist book (?), and atheist class.

QueHuong

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
Only if they allow other religion classes. But that's impossible. So, either none or all.

We all know Christians would throw one hell of a hissy fit if there was a Koran class.

iwearnosox

Lifer
Oct 26, 2000
Originally posted by: SherEPunjab
they should, but they must then also have a Gita, Quran, Tora, Buddhist book (?), and atheist class.

I assume in athiest class we all sit around playing xbox drinking beer.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
This is dangerous territory. You could construe offering even electives in Bible studies as implicit pushing of the Christian faith onto all American students. All taxpayers, regardless of religious choice, would be paying to make an education in a faith which may not be theirs available to students.

On the other hand, if a school had a huge bunch of support to create a Latin dance class, then they should be allowed to do so. If a school has a lot of support for a Bible studies class, then to be fair they should be allowed to do that as well. It's just a very touchy topic.

Edit: Because of the mess it'd cause, I voted no.

bigdog1218

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2001
Originally posted by: MindStorm
Only if they allow other religion classes. But that's impossible. So, either none or all.

How many foreign language classes did your high school offer? None or all, or only the most popular? Nice try though.

SherEPunjab

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Originally posted by: Sifl

pretty much :p

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
Originally posted by: lirion
Originally posted by: DanTMWTMP
ABSOLUTELY NOT.

The question, as phrased, has nothing to do with the study of religion or spirituality, but the study of a book, which, like it or not, has had a profound influence on world history for the last three thousand-odd years.

ohhh....

then yeah i dont' mind that..sorry for misunderstanding hehe :p

well, the actual Bible study is ok...(w/o the religion) because you have to realize that western civilization as we know it stemmed from this book.

my humanities class here @ UCSD (revelle college) was taught by Dr. Friedman ...he taught us the old testament and how there are 4 different writing styles etc etc...

illustri

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2001
what just occured to me,
aren't there other forums where bible studies are discussed -- sunday school, seminary, etc? it also stands to reason any other religion has said same resources

illustri

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2001
my humanities class here @ UCSD (revelle college) was taught by Dr. Friedman ...he taught us the old testament and how there are 4 different writing styles etc etc...

i took that class too - god i hated it

SherEPunjab

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
i'll be honest. flame me if you wish.

I'm not christian. my family raised me as a arya samaji (kind of like HIndus but don't pray to idols and don't believe in as many rituals as Hindus do), with some sikh elements as well.

Despite the fact that I'm not Christian, I believe that, for the most part, every major religion teaches the same underlying message. I believe that faith is very important, and that a good person need not be religious, but that being religious helps many to become good people (please don't cite islamic terrorists, riots, etc, lets look at the big picture here).

This being said, here's where the flames may start: American culture has a ton of ills. excessive promiscuity, hate, violence, disrespect for elders, disrespect for minorities & opinions, breakdown of the family system (what, almost 50% divorce rate?!). This is not just Americas problem, it is a problem of the West, and, to a lesser extent (and partly due to Western influence), a problem of the rest of the world. Look at the nursing home business. its a huge hit in the west. Go to India and see how many people throw their aging parents into nursing homes - very few. And don't give me, its too hard to look after them.. hell, nursing homes cost money, just apply that money to a at home nurse/caretaker, but don't kick them out of the house (unless they truly want to and arent just saying that for convenience sake. Thats total disrespect.

I find that men and women of God (not the ones that claim to be, the really spiritual ones) are generally good people. I don't care who their God is, but if it makes them a better person, hopefully one by one we can have a better society, and then we can have a better nation. If that means having religious studies classes, sobeit. We just have to be careful on making sure those teaching it don't teach to proletyize or teach that their religion is the 'right one.' Teach the religion, but don't compare it, don't put it on a pedestal, etc.

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
NO.
Classes that look at different religions and the effect they have played in history would be fine.
But not a class that just studies what the Bible says.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Sifl

:beer:

Theology classes should be allowed into schools.

Otherwise these kids will come out of school as closedminded and stupid as other religious zealots.