YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 571 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
One day when I have the cash (not likely) I want to purchase a high quality AK clone. Just for fun. I doubt it would be useful for hunting and probably overkill for home defense. The enthusiasts seem to like Arsenal brand weapons.

UNRELATED: I was looking for something else entirely, and found this article. It actually explains a lot of AR-15 parts in layman's terms before recommending specific models.

No matter how many times I learn these things, I keep forgetting them.

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
One day when I have the cash (not likely) I want to purchase a high quality AK clone. Just for fun. I doubt it would be useful for hunting and probably overkill for home defense. The enthusiasts seem to like Arsenal brand weapons.

UNRELATED: I was looking for something else entirely, and found this article. It actually explains a lot of AR-15 parts in layman's terms before recommending specific models.

No matter how many times I learn these things, I keep forgetting them.

Arsenal is really nice but for the money I'd probably just buy something from Zastava and mod it a bit. The ALG trigger alone is worlds better than any AK factory trigger, for example. I've had a cheap Romanian SAR1 for 15 years that I hardly shot because I hated how AK stocks sit with me and the trigger slapped like crazy. Dropped in the ALG and put an adjustable folder from Magpul on it and it's a lot more pleasurable to shoot.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I need one of these in my life. It’s a Marlin 1895 SBL lever action chambered in .45-70. A local gun shop has one on consignment but they’re asking stupid money for it. Thankfully, I just read that Marlin is making these guns again under Ruger ownership so I should be able to buy one in the coming months.
2BF7C613-9390-4E27-B9EC-3B37250AF4EA.jpeg

08793ACA-9C5E-4606-A1B6-9B4719885189.jpeg
I also bought a Springfield Armory M1A scout rifle in .308 last Saturday. I pick it up on the 28th. Already purchased a scout scope for it and a couple spare magazines.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I need one of these in my life. It’s a Marlin 1895 SBL lever action chambered in .45-70. A local gun shop has one on consignment but they’re asking stupid money for it. Thankfully, I just read that Marlin is making these guns again under Ruger ownership so I should be able to buy one in the coming months.
View attachment 54762

View attachment 54763
I also bought a Springfield Armory M1A scout rifle in .308 last Saturday. I pick it up on the 28th. Already purchased a scout scope for it and a couple spare magazines.

I really wanted a Marlin 1895 SBL in .357 but all rifles in the line have been unobtanium for a long while. Was going to wait but recently had a chance at my 2nd choice Henry Big Boy X for under MSRP and took it.

henryx.jpg

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I really wanted a Marlin 1895 SBL in .357 but all rifles in the line have been unobtanium for a long while. Was going to wait but recently had a chance at my 2nd choice Henry Big Boy X for under MSRP and took it.

View attachment 54766

Word is Marlin is up and running again and has 1000 1895SBL rifles shipping to distributors nationwide this month with more in the pipeline. And, under Ruger ownership, they have made some improvements to them as well so they are better than ever.

It’s funny because the rifle on consignment is listed at $3999. Guy missed the window of opportunity on that one because we should be able to buy them now for $1399.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Word is Marlin is up and running again and has 1000 1895SBL rifles shipping to distributors nationwide this month with more in the pipeline. And, under Ruger ownership, they have made some improvements to them as well so they are better than ever.

It’s funny because the rifle on consignment is listed at $3999. Guy missed the window of opportunity on that one because we should be able to buy them now for $1399.

Yeah, I'll probably still get one eventually but maybe in a different caliber. Going to give it a bit when the new guns start hitting the stores and more reviews come out over time. I've already been burned once this year for being an early adopter.

Also now the little voice is going "well you've already got a .357 so maybe you should look at wheel guns" so thats great.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Yeah, I'll probably still get one eventually but maybe in a different caliber. Going to give it a bit when the new guns start hitting the stores and more reviews come out over time. I've already been burned once this year for being an early adopter.

Also now the little voice is going "well you've already got a .357 so maybe you should look at wheel guns" so thats great.

A buddy of mine bought a Henry lever action rifle in 45-70 and had a problem with it right out of the box. He had to send it back to Henry to get it fixed but now it is fine and they actually turned it around quickly. I think Ruger will be a good fit for Marlin. I’m not worried about the quality. Ruger knows how to make a great firearm.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Sig has a new P210 Carry with an aluminum frame.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Anyone run cans/silencers?
Now that I am out of California and can buy one, I am mulling it around. Need to look into them a little more in depth.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Anyone run cans/silencers?
Now that I am out of California and can buy one, I am mulling it around. Need to look into them a little more in depth.

My paperwork for mine is still pending.. as it has been for 2 years now.. I'm told this is normal now. Having said that cause I'm not bitter at all.. are you looking to understand more on them or just wondering who has them?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
My paperwork for mine is still pending.. as it has been for 2 years now.. I'm told this is normal now. Having said that cause I'm not bitter at all.. are you looking to understand more on them or just wondering who has them?

wut form 4 should not be two years even lately. Maybe a year more or less.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Here, who has them and what they run them on.
I'll do some research for my state on Google.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Found one of these yesterday at a local store and had to pick it up. Wish it was FDE but the black is growing on me

AMrFrkR.jpg

Nov 20, 2009
No y'all just need to buy a couple of Tesla items like the Neurallink and Robot and you can virtually have your bidding done from the comfort of your recliner.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
I do like the holosuns despite my slight astigmatism, also have one on my ruger pc charger. I do have a couple of RMR08Gs on other pistols but I wanted to go with more of a dot than a triangle like my RMRs have for this .22.
Have you tried their new red dots with the ACSS reticle (507C-X2) ? I briefly looked at one someone had at the shooting range and liked what little I saw. I'll break down one of these days and pick one up.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Have you tried their new red dots with the ACSS reticle (507C-X2) ? I briefly looked at one someone had at the shooting range and liked what little I saw. I'll break down one of these days and pick one up.

I have seen them advertised but none of my local shops have that model in stock yet so I have yet to fondle one. I am definitely interested in checking one out though for sure.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
I have seen them advertised but none of my local shops have that model in stock yet so I have yet to fondle one. I am definitely interested in checking one out though for sure.
The only place I've seen it is Primary Arms website and MidwayUSA. May be on some others.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I was interested in a Dragunov like rifle (generally can be legal in Califoria, and their surplus ammo used to be super cheap) but apparently they are super expensive, and even the ammo cost is rising quite a bit.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I was interested in a Dragunov like rifle (generally can be legal in Califoria, and their surplus ammo used to be super cheap) but apparently they are super expensive, and even the ammo cost is rising quite a bit.

Oof yeah about 15 years late or more on that. I remember when I could get a Romanian PSL for like $600 not too many years back and they're like $2500 now.