YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 569 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
EDC is such a personal thing. What will work for me may not work for you and vice versa.

This is what I would do. Go to a range and ask them to let you handle different guns and if possible, do fire off a few rounds to see how that gun would response in your own hand. See how you like a particular gun and how it feels in your hand. I may like "X" gun because it fits me but that same "X" gun may not work for your at all because your hand is bigger/smaller. I like Glock 26 but Walther fits in my hand a little better so my next hand gun would be it.

Another thing, do you like gun with safety? I would not but it is just me. As I say, it is a personal choice/refer.
Unfortunately the 3 closest ranges are all about 45min. drives and they are just ranges. Might be able to find something 90 or 120mins. out but that's a long way to drive for what is most likely a limited selection of guns.

I'm not sure about wanting a safety. The main reason I got the double action was so I could have the extra safety of the DA if I wanted it. It's also cool that I can practice with heavier action plus no need to rack the slide to shoot again. The downside is if I needed to shoot the pistol in an emergency in DA the first shot would be DA and the next would be SA. Practicing with it that way would help but in stressful a situation things can change and I understand that one can tend to pull harder on the trigger. I guess if I got a pistol with a safety it would need to be easy/automatic to use when drawing the gun.

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
Unfortunately the 3 closest ranges are all about 45min. drives and they are just ranges. Might be able to find something 90 or 120mins. out but that's a long way to drive for what is most likely a limited selection of guns.

I'm not sure about wanting a safety. The main reason I got the double action was so I could have the extra safety of the DA if I wanted it. It's also cool that I can practice with heavier action plus no need to rack the slide to shoot again. The downside is if I needed to shoot the pistol in an emergency in DA the first shot would be DA and the next would be SA. Practicing with it that way would help but in stressful a situation things can change and I understand that one can tend to pull harder on the trigger. I guess if I got a pistol with a safety it would need to be easy/automatic to use when drawing the gun.
I am not a fan of SA/DA guns. Opposite of KISS. No doubt that if you trained enough with it, you would be ahead of an easy 90% of the folks out there.

My personal solution is to gear up with what I am most comfortable with, if it looks like it may hit the fan. Outside the waistband 1911 and a mag holder for two mags. That means a shooting belt, pants to accommodate it and appropriate concealment.

So much easier to grab my holstered DAO 380 that is the same size as my wallet.

Reactions: balloonshark

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003

Do you have Academy/Bass Pro Shop nears by? If so, go there during slow time and ask the clerk to let you handle the guns and see how they feel in your shooting hand. Obviously, you can't test fire to see how those guns handle the firing or how you like the trigger. I would say the same thing for gun shows but most of them are on hold now because of covid.

I don't like the safety simply because "if" I ever have to use the gun, it would be the last resort/life and death situation and I do not want to worry during that particular moment whether I remember to disengage the safety to "off".

Last edited:

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Make the trip to a store that sells a wide variety, and take your time checking them out. You have to get used to carrying a gun without a safety, and one in the chamber ready to go. A good holster keeps you from accidentally firing one into yourself, but the thing is ready to go when you present it to the threat. It does take a lot of practice, but that should be done by dry firing it, a lot, so it becomes second nature. Don't worry about recoil, when you master it typically you won't even think about it. People don't rise to an occasion, they resort to their level of training.

Anyway, tried my new little Ruger today, it was fun. Just sat 7 yards away and sighted the red dot in on some gong targets for fun. More accurate than expected, but my big hands keep it fairly steady.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Do you have Academy/Bass Pro Shop nears by? If so, go there during slow time and ask the clerk to let you handle the guns and see how they feel in your shooting hand. Obviously, you can't test fire to see how those guns handle the firing or how you like the trigger. I would say the same thing for gun shows but most of them are on hold now because of covid.

I don't like the safety simply because "if" I ever have to use the gun, it would be the last resort/life and death situation and I do not want to worry during that particular moment whether I remember to disengage the safety to "off".
There is a Cabela's in Charleston but it's a long haul. Our town has an ok selection of guns but there is usually only one person behind the counter. That makes it tough to get waited on or try a bunch of pistols. And once you tell them your budget or start looking at cheaper guns they start helping other customers.

I may have to go talk to my FFL. It's a small shop in the rear of his main business. He only has a small selection of guns but I hear he is quite the collector. He is a huge fan of Sig but there is a slight chance he might personally own other guns I can handle. He carries a full size Sig but he did have a smaller Sig in his vault last year. Plus he can order anything but getting him to actually do it is a battle.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Make the trip to a store that sells a wide variety, and take your time checking them out. You have to get used to carrying a gun without a safety, and one in the chamber ready to go. A good holster keeps you from accidentally firing one into yourself, but the thing is ready to go when you present it to the threat. It does take a lot of practice, but that should be done by dry firing it, a lot, so it becomes second nature. Don't worry about recoil, when you master it typically you won't even think about it. People don't rise to an occasion, they resort to their level of training.

Anyway, tried my new little Ruger today, it was fun. Just sat 7 yards away and sighted the red dot in on some gong targets for fun. More accurate than expected, but my big hands keep it fairly steady.
Good point about the holster. In my mind I kept worrying about a stick or branch getting caught in the trigger and firing the gun. But now that I think about it all holsters that I've seen protect or cover up the trigger. Plus it's probably a 1 and 1000 chance of that happening. Also good point about people resorting to their level of training.

I don't think I've heard about the Ruger max-9. It looks like a nice little gun with decent capacity.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
And for something completely different an M&P Shield 380 EZ. My first striker internal hammer pistol ever.

I am kind of partial to single stacks.

sheild380ez.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: nOOky

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
Recent purchase so I can shoot for "cheap." :tearsofjoy:

i-R68q5rn-X2.jpg
Prices are coming back down. 5.56 is down to only .50 cpr and you can actually find it in stock. Still a 200% markup from before Biden became President but better than the $1 a round + it’s been sitting at.

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
This has been reviewed a bunch recently. Hickok45 says he is going to buy one. Never shot this model, but, for me, these tiny DAO 380's are a must have.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Star Model BM in 9mm has joined the collection. An all steel gun it has a ton of heft for the caliber resulting in minimal recoil plus it's got a very nice trigger. Super easy to shoot.

Star BM.jpeg

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
My nearest range shut down and I really do not feel comfortable driving out of state with a firearm. Its not even the distance, its just the change in laws and whatnot.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Went out to disarm some unruly Roma tomatoes tonight with the 17hmr, but my scope mount bolts were completely loose so I couldn't hit anything. WTF over? Ended up using the .22 pistol which did fine work from 5 yards. 9mm ammo here is non-existent again, glad I stocked up.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Went out to disarm some unruly Roma tomatoes tonight with the 17hmr, but my scope mount bolts were completely loose so I couldn't hit anything. WTF over? Ended up using the .22 pistol which did fine work from 5 yards. 9mm ammo here is non-existent again, glad I stocked up.
A long time ago I learned its wise to buy high quality mounts and rings, and make use of Lok-tite.
Saves you headaches down the road, cuz you'll have to buy the expensive hardware anyway. Or just stop using your gun.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I picked this up on consignment at a local gun shop about two months ago. It is a nickel plated model 29-2 with 8 3/8” barrel. Lockup is tight and the timing is perfect. My son and I took it to the range on Sunday and put about 200 rounds through it. This gun is more than 40 years old.
20C02496-2ED6-4EB3-A813-A29C61A17F48.jpeg5850E5DF-299F-402E-802B-518130A87D1B.jpeg
C1562E53-0FFE-4DE8-8E41-E5A4C8697E55.jpeg

Last edited:

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I also picked this up a couple weeks prior. Glock 21, shot it about a month ago and it performed perfectly. I really like this gun. I have a G30, compact 45 ACP but it isn’t nearly as good a shooter as this is.EA3D640F-08BA-4D01-94E0-503331005558.jpeg

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
So, I picked up another pinned and recessed Smith & Wesson model 29 this week. This one is in very good condition and is a model 29 manufactured in 1960-61. It is blued steel with a 6 1/2” barrel and wood target stocks. I will post some pictures tomorrow.

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I converted my Romanian SAR1 into something "a little less primitive" as Scotty would say.

Magpul furniture, ALG trigger, Midwest Industries scope mount, and a Primary Arms SLx micro dot. Still needs a muzzle brake but I've got to thread the barrel first.

SAR1.jpeg

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
This gun is simply stunning in its condition and it came with the original box and sight adjustment tool. Not bad for a 60 year old gun eh?

It is a model 29 no dash. So, not a pre-29 but a no dash model. It does have the screw in the front of the trigger guard to release the cylinder yoke for disassembly.

58850D7F-D112-4247-8455-F4F7D3E99578.jpeg909A7C60-39C3-4109-8DA5-174313584695.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Bitek and nOOky

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Nice looking revolver. I've always appreciated certain guns for their aesthetic value. I've been thinking about picking up a 10mm. I actually picked up some ammo from the store just because it was in stock and I saw it there, and I have been thinking about it for a while. Of course I have been thinking about picking up a lot of things, a 1911 45 among them, and maybe another revolver bigger than a 357.