YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 450 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
Oh man, all of those would be awesome. I think you and I have similar tastes. :awe:

For my next purchase I'm considering:
- Yugo M24/47 (not set on this model in particular. I'd just like a K98k clone)
- Marlin 336W lever action .30-.30
- 1911. I'm leaning towards the Remington R1 Enhanced at the moment.

I'm probably gonna go with a 1911 of some type but I'd really like one of the other two as well.

Ive been eyeing those guns too. The Yugo though Im not sure on. I dont really want ot add ANOTHER caliber to reload for, but might pick one up just to have.

Not going for the 30-30 marlin but do plan to pick up one in either 44mag or 357mag just cause it would be a "fun gun" and i dont want another caliber ot reload for (already do 357 and 44mag)

The 1911 is something Ill pick up one of these days just to have one. Probably a Range Officer or a SR1911.

Ill get an AK too just to have one. Wanting one with nice wood furniture since thats what i picture when i think of an AK.

Then i kind of want to get another M1 and refinish the stock but Im not to sure if ill actually do this. Would have to find a lone action and barrel to feel right doing it. My two current garands are staying stock

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
I had one on my Glock for a while. They get stretched out over time and move around on the grip making it completely useless. Big waste of money IMO.

I have a few thousand rounds down this gun, most with the sleeve on it. Its as tight as day it was put on.

When I bought it, years ago, the fancy new removable grip tape stuff was extremely expensive. the slip on was $6 from midway usa(man what a huge huge waste of money!!!)

Not sure why you'd want a ported barrel on a fullsize 9mm handgun. It's not as if the Glock 17 exhibits excessive muzzle lift. I have one and I have put thousands and thousands of rounds through it and never once have I thought that it needed a ported barrel.

why? because I thought it would be fun to play with. and I paid about half of its retail value, so I figured why the heck not

your reasoning is extremely silly anyways. Its essentially a range toy(its not my nightstand gun). When I have cash around to fund more, I will buy a gen 3 or 4 17 and really start to play with it so the gen 1 can go more towards safe queen status

have you seen what people who seriously shoot matches outside of production classes do to these things?

I don't plan to get that crazy and have 2500 into a glock, but I like to play with toys....

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
Sorry for an off topic question- I'm looking for a semi auto 12ga in 18.5 or 20'' barrel. Has to hold less than or equal to 6 rounds to be state law compliant, and can't have pistol grip. I'd also like it to be able to mount a light to it.

Found a few Mossberg's but they held more than 6 rounds, or looked pretty basic and didn't have any mounting options.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...622/Mossberg+50521+500SP+12+18+6SH+CB+PGK+PRK

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ducts_id/411551209/500+1218.5+SYN+SHORT+STOCK

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Would appreciate any recommendation for a semi auto .22 to teach the wife to shoot. I am considering the Ruger Mark III but she mentioned that she "liked" the tactical looking .22s. Advice is appreciated ...

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
It should, you just unscrew the cap on he magazine (in my case, unscrew the magazine extension)put the adapter on, and screw the nut back on to secure it. Should fit just fine.

Thank you!

Now for my last question: What ammo would be best for an apartment? I have to toe the line of having enough stopping power, but not going through the walls and taking out little timmy who's sleeping next door.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Would appreciate any recommendation for a semi auto .22 to teach the wife to shoot. I am considering the Ruger Mark III but she mentioned that she "liked" the tactical looking .22s. Advice is appreciated ...
Tell her looks ain't everything. That's how she ended up with you.

kidding, kidding.

I have the Mark 3, never had an issue with it. Doesn't seem to be choosy about ammo.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Tell her looks ain't everything. That's how she ended up with you.

kidding, kidding.

I have the Mark 3, never had an issue with it. Doesn't seem to be choosy about ammo.

I've also read that they are some of the dirtiest guns out there ... because they are so difficult to break down, clean and re-assemble. What do you think?

Last edited:

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009

a guy I shoot with on occasion has the GSG MP5SD 22 look alike and loves it, but I have no idea if its ammo picky or not

Thank you!

Now for my last question: What ammo would be best for an apartment? I have to toe the line of having enough stopping power, but not going through the walls and taking out little timmy who's sleeping next door.

I load 2 3/4" trap/bird shot

that's I what use. It should stuggle to get through 2 layers of drywall, so little to no overpenetration. which is why I load it for home defense

its shouldn't open up much and still pack a decent punch. most other loads will exit a wall with some power left, and I have kids to worry about

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
I've also read that they are some of the dirtiest guns out there ... because they are so difficult to break down, clean and re-assemble. What do you think?
True but with practice, it shouldn't be a problem. I think Jules said the same. I've done it once. Otherwise it just gets a few patches run down the barrel.

IIRC, a friend had a Walther P-22 and it liked CCIs but not the cheap stuff.

Last edited:

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
a guy I shoot with on occasion has the GSG MP5SD 22 look alike and loves it, but I have no idea if its ammo picky or not

that's I what use. It should stuggle to get through 2 layers of drywall, so little to no overpenetration. which is why I load it for home defense

its shouldn't open up much and still pack a decent punch. most other loads will exit a wall with some power left, and I have kids to worry about

Thanks!!

Also, I've seen some adult black bears around my girl friend's house, which I frequent a lot. Even though I don't see a real need to, if I ever had to take one out for whatever reason, would 00 be enough? I figure I'd have some 00 buck or slugs in an aux ammo holder on the side of the shotgun as my extra ammo.

BlitzPuppet

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2012
To further step away from the boring "black gun" stuff here is an interesting piece that I own.

A matching K98 Bayonet that may have the famous "Blood Pitting" people seem to freak out about.

42fnj1.jpg

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Thanks!!

Also, I've seen some adult black bears around my girl friend's house, which I frequent a lot. Even though I don't see a real need to, if I ever had to take one out for whatever reason, would 00 be enough? I figure I'd have some 00 buck or slugs in an aux ammo holder on the side of the shotgun as my extra ammo.

I have had to shoot a big Oregon black bear with buckshot, due to it being all that I had, and it did not incapacitate them (but it did stop their rampage through elk camp). Never took more than one round, but the ranges were pretty far (wasn't really wanting to get up close to a bear trying to get to a hanging elk carcass). I am sure with 5 rounds and 00 buck any bear is going to wish it were somewhere else.

For that, and for home defense I now carry my 930 loaded with Winchester pdx1 defenders - a 1oz slug and 3 pellets of 00 buck.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Thank you!

My advice would to leave birdshot for birds, and get a less penetrating buckshot load such at #4 buck.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Those are both pumps, he mentioned wanting a semi auto.

There are a bunch of decent Turkish semi shotties that meet his requirements perfectly. And tend to be on the cheap side. Look for some of them by Tristar if you want an American importer name on the gun that has had some QA done by someone here on the products.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
I have had to shoot a big Oregon black bear with buckshot, due to it being all that I had, and it did not incapacitate them (but it did stop their rampage through elk camp). Never took more than one round, but the ranges were pretty far (wasn't really wanting to get up close to a bear trying to get to a hanging elk carcass). I am sure with 5 rounds and 00 buck any bear is going to wish it were somewhere else.

For that, and for home defense I now carry my 930 loaded with Winchester pdx1 defenders - a 1oz slug and 3 pellets of 00 buck.
It's a .0001% chance thing. The only time I feel like I would ever have to come in contact with the bear, is if it came around during dusk when I am having a camp fire, cooking late night food on the grill, etc. Most of the time I only see them late at night. I do find droppings in the yard though, so I know they come pretty close to the house.

My advice would to leave birdshot for birds, and get a less penetrating buckshot load such at #4 buck.

Okay. I am probably going to the the 5 shot 930, with the 18.5'' barrel, that also comes with the 28'' for field practice. I think that only takes 3'' shells. Will a 3'' loaded with #4 buck be fine? Or were you using I would use 2 3/4''?

Edit: Is there any way to install a bigger tube for shooting clays? Going to be annoying to only have 5 rounds. I figure it's cheaper just having a shotgun that takes both barrels, rather than buying a separate shotgun that only has a 28'' barrel.

Last edited:

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010

They are fine... are they complex to disassemble compared to your average Glock or Sig? Sure. Difficult? Hell no. Most of the people whining about that are internet commandos who refuse to read the manual. I would say the MkIII is only a bit more difficult than a 1911 to strip. Besides, it's a .22, you aren't supposed to clean it until it's so gunked up it will barely shoot.

You might want to look around for a decent used MkII. The MkIII has a loaded chamber indicator and magazine disconnect that many people find annoying. They can be removed of course (I have a MkIII with them removed).

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-3-the-shotgun-meets-the-box-o-truth/

But any load that is going to be effective will need to penetrate walls to have enough power to penetrate bad guys. If our only concern was to be sure we didn’t penetrate walls, we would use BB guns. However, BB guns will not stop bad guys.

Therefore, we must use loads that will STOP bad guys, and this means that they will also penetrate walls. So, be sure you hit the bad guy and do not shoot into walls where loved ones are on the other side.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
It's a .0001% chance thing. The only time I feel like I would ever have to come in contact with the bear, is if it came around during dusk when I am having a camp fire, cooking late night food on the grill, etc. Most of the time I only see them late at night. I do find droppings in the yard though, so I know they come pretty close to the house.

Okay. I am probably going to the the 5 shot 930, with the 18.5'' barrel, that also comes with the 28'' for field practice. I think that only takes 3'' shells. Will a 3'' loaded with #4 buck be fine? Or were you using I would use 2 3/4''?

Edit: Is there any way to install a bigger tube for shooting clays? Going to be annoying to only have 5 rounds. I figure it's cheaper just having a shotgun that takes both barrels, rather than buying a separate shotgun that only has a 28'' barrel.

Yeah, most likely you wont run into the bear, but if you are out there with food you never know. I would not feel undergunned with a 5 shot 930.

You can use either 3" or 2 3/4", which ever you can find and buy. Keep in mind that when you use 3" shells you will reduce the number of shells it will hold, the magazine capacity is based on you using 2 3/4" shells. 3" shells just give you that much more shot and ummph, so I guess you do get something in exchange for reducing your magazine capacity. On my 930 in that picture, I keep 8 2 3/4" shells in the gun, and the 5 shot shell holder on the side has all 3" shells, 3 buckshot and 2 slugs. I figure if I have a need to break into those 5 shells after shooting the 8 of them in the magazine, I would really want the extra power and shot the 3" shells will give me.

You can install a magazine extension, if that is what you mean as a bigger tube. It just screws on to the end of your magazine, where you install the adapter for the light. The same company that makes that adapter sells a very nice one, and comes with the spring -

http://www.gggaz.com/mossberg-930-magazine-tube-extension.html

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
Yeah, most likely you wont run into the bear, but if you are out there with food you never know. I would not feel undergunned with a 5 shot 930.

You can use either 3" or 2 3/4", which ever you can find and buy. Keep in mind that when you use 3" shells you will reduce the number of shells it will hold, the magazine capacity is based on you using 2 3/4" shells. 3" shells just give you that much more shot and ummph, so I guess you do get something in exchange for reducing your magazine capacity. On my 930 in that picture, I keep 8 2 3/4" shells in the gun, and the 5 shot shell holder on the side has all 3" shells, 3 buckshot and 2 slugs. I figure if I have a need to break into those 5 shells after shooting the 8 of them in the magazine, I would really want the extra power and shot the 3" shells will give me.

You can install a magazine extension, if that is what you mean as a bigger tube. It just screws on to the end of your magazine, where you install the adapter for the light. The same company that makes that adapter sells a very nice one, and comes with the spring -

http://www.gggaz.com/mossberg-930-magazine-tube-extension.html
So, the 930 5 shot assumes in the specs that one will be using 2 3/4'' shells? Meaning that if I went with 3'', I'd only be able to fit 4?

And yes, what you linked is what I was talking about. Gives me the ability to hold 2 more rounds. Don't tell the po-po but I'd probably have it installed all the time. I'd rather break the law and hold 2 more rounds than have myself or family end up dead.

Last edited:

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
So, the 930 5 shot assumes in the specs that one will be using 2 3/4'' shells? Meaning that if I went with 3'', I'd only be able to fit 4?

Well, I suppose I mean having an "extended magazine" like the one I have for my .22. Stock, it comes with a 5 round mag, but I found 7 and 9 round ones online, so that when I am at the range, I don't need to stop to reload as much. I figure they'd make something similar for tubes to give you the ability to have more rounds. Of course, I'd only use this for range time, as anything over 6 is illegal (sigh..).

Yes, the magazine capacities on most shotguns assume you will use 2 3/4" shells. So you would indeed be able to get only 4 in the tube if they are all 3" magnums.

That link I sent you is for a magazine extension, sounds just what you are looking for, adds two more to the capacity of that shotgun. Much nicer than the one that came with my 930SPX as well.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Yes, the magazine capacities on most shotguns assume you will use 2 3/4" shells. So you would indeed be able to get only 4 in the tube if they are all 3" magnums.

That link I sent you is for a magazine extension, sounds just what you are looking for, adds two more to the capacity of that shotgun. Much nicer than the one that came with my 930SPX as well.

If you're looking at the SPX and you want to do any kind of sports shooting look at the version with the short and longer barrels. Got one a few months ago and I'm really happy with it.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008

Oh cool so I'd still be "legal" with that tube extension using 3'' shells.

I've only ever shot shotguns w a bead sight. Have you found having ghost ring and/or m16 style sights to be useful?