YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 451 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Oh cool so I'd still be "legal" with that tube extension using 3'' shells.

I've only ever shot shotguns w a bead sight. Have you found having ghost ring and/or m16 style sights to be useful?

Depends on how the law is written I suppose. You might be able to only get six 3" shells in there, but you -could- get more in standard 2 3/4" shells, which may still make it illegal. I do not know what the laws are over there.

I much prefer my ghost ring sights, personally. Especially using slugs, but I find I shoot anything but clay pigeons better with the ghost ring sights. You can always unscrew the sight and use the bead if you get the version with the longer barrel, if you are going to be trap shooting or some such.

I have a red dot on that shotgun now (that photo was old), and that makes it even better IMO.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
If you're looking at the SPX and you want to do any kind of sports shooting look at the version with the short and longer barrels. Got one a few months ago and I'm really happy with it.

I think that is what he is getting, or looking to get at least.

I myself have other shotguns to fill that role, primarily my browning citori over/under and my CZ over/under.

Phanuel

Platinum Member
Apr 25, 2008
Shooting sporting clays? Bead or fiber front sight.

Shooting anything else that isn't moving at the speed of a bird? Ghost or red dot.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
Depends on how the law is written I suppose. You might be able to only get six 3" shells in there, but you -could- get more in standard 2 3/4" shells, which may still make it illegal. I do not know what the laws are over there.

I much prefer my ghost ring sights, personally. Especially using slugs, but I find I shoot anything but clay pigeons better with the ghost ring sights. You can always unscrew the sight and use the bead if you get the version with the longer barrel, if you are going to be trap shooting or some such.

I have a red dot on that shotgun now (that photo was old), and that makes it even better IMO.
Interesting. Sorry for all these questions, I'm a shotgun noob. Currently only own rifle and pistols.

Back to the ammo quickly... I know this might be lame of me to ask you (or aybody) but could you just give me the name brand and type of ammo you use for both trap/skeet and home defense?

Reason being is (I know I'm probably going to put in 3'' #4 and hold some 00 and slug in a side saddle) there is just so many choices on CTD.com. Lead or non lead? Steel or not? etc. I'm pretty much totally knew to owning shotguns. Have shot a bunch, but don't know a ton about ammo.

Shooting sporting clays? Bead or fiber front sight.

Shooting anything else that isn't moving at the speed of a bird? Ghost or red dot.

The plan is to have the 18.5'' barrel with flashlight and red dot for home. Remove those and put the 28'' with the traditional bead for sport.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Interesting. Sorry for all these questions, I'm a shotgun noob. Currently only own rifle and pistols.

Back to the ammo quickly... I know this might be lame of me to ask you (or aybody) but could you just give me the name brand and type of ammo you use for both trap/skeet and home defense?

Reason being is (I know I'm probably going to put in 3'' #4 and hold some 00 and slug in a side saddle) there is just so many choices on CTD.com. Lead or non lead? Steel or not? etc. I'm pretty much totally knew to owning shotguns. Have shot a bunch, but don't know a ton about ammo.

The plan is to have the 18.5'' barrel with flashlight and red dot for home. Remove those and put the 28'' with the traditional bead for sport.

Well, brand on buckshot to me is what is available. I like remington, winchester, federal, fiocchi, all of it seems to work good in my 930 on heavy loads. I usually shoot Federal 100rd bulk packs of bird shot from wal-mart, seems to be the cheapest around here but my 930 had issues feeding that early on (more on that below).. Buckshot in 2 3/4" length I shoot estate or remington 25rd value packs.

Now, bird loads in my SPX can be troublesome, at least for the first few hundred rounds. When you get it, clean the entire gas system and chamber good. The cosmoline like lube they put on everything at the factory was kind of gross on mine at least. Then, find some heavy loads (buckshot, turkey loads, slugs, etc) and try to shoot as many as you can to get it good and broken in.

Mine would not feed bird shot reliably until I got it broken in with a couple hundred rounds of heavier stuff, turkey loads or hotter. Also, I think the thourough cleaning and re-application of CLP everywhere helped as well.

But, I think my SPX has a different gas system than others, but I am not sure, and it is kind of meant for heavier loads. Yours may shoot birdshot just fine out of the box. Just test it and find out.

And dont buy from Cheaper than Diamonds, look at some other places like ammoman, bulkammo.com, and others.

http://www.ammoman.com/12-gauge

Ammoman is based in New Jersey, so I would imagine shipping times would be awesome.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
Those are both pumps, he mentioned wanting a semi auto.

good catch, I missed that earlier, oops!

http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-3-the-shotgun-meets-the-box-o-truth/

But any load that is going to be effective will need to penetrate walls to have enough power to penetrate bad guys. If our only concern was to be sure we didn’t penetrate walls, we would use BB guns. However, BB guns will not stop bad guys.

Therefore, we must use loads that will STOP bad guys, and this means that they will also penetrate walls. So, be sure you hit the bad guy and do not shoot into walls where loved ones are on the other side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GqZaVQW7O4

6-8" of pen into the guy should be extremely deadly.

you can say its a bbb gun sure, but its shooting 100+ bb's at a time, and I can do it 6 times in a row!

00 buck or a slug would end up in my neighbors house most likey, if I missed, based on my house layout. In my situation, I feel that its my best case. I have something more serious near by if needed

Ideally sure, 00 buck, and it wouldn't over pen and I'd liquefy the guys whole diaphram

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
Christ, not this again.

Birdshot is dumb and anyone who recommends it is dumb. The end.

#4 buck (21 pellets of roughly .22cal size, weighing IIRC ~20gr) is the bare minimum. The end.

The only possible argument is whether you should risk overpenetration with 00 or underpenetration (of your target) with 2 or 4. Birdshot is not even in the running for being useful against a human target.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
Well, brand on buckshot to me is what is available. I like remington, winchester, federal, fiocchi, all of it seems to work good in my 930 on heavy loads. I usually shoot Federal 100rd bulk packs of bird shot from wal-mart, seems to be the cheapest around here but my 930 had issues feeding that early on (more on that below).. Buckshot in 2 3/4" length I shoot estate or remington 25rd value packs.

Now, bird loads in my SPX can be troublesome, at least for the first few hundred rounds. When you get it, clean the entire gas system and chamber good. The cosmoline like lube they put on everything at the factory was kind of gross on mine at least. Then, find some heavy loads (buckshot, turkey loads, slugs, etc) and try to shoot as many as you can to get it good and broken in.

Mine would not feed bird shot reliably until I got it broken in with a couple hundred rounds of heavier stuff, turkey loads or hotter. Also, I think the thourough cleaning and re-application of CLP everywhere helped as well.

But, I think my SPX has a different gas system than others, but I am not sure, and it is kind of meant for heavier loads. Yours may shoot birdshot just fine out of the box. Just test it and find out.

And dont buy from Cheaper than Diamonds, look at some other places like ammoman, bulkammo.com, and others.

http://www.ammoman.com/12-gauge

Ammoman is based in New Jersey, so I would imagine shipping times would be awesome.

I'd imagine that the manual would have the break-in instructions? I always read my manuals carefully just to make sure there's not any quirks with the gun I don't know about from just reading forums or watching vids.

Thanks for that link! Very cool they are so close by.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
Christ, not this again.

#4 buck (21 pellets of roughly .22cal size, weighing IIRC ~20gr) is the bare minimum. The end.

The only possible argument is whether you should risk overpenetration with 00 or underpenetration (of your target) with 2 or 4. Birdshot is not even in the running for being useful against a human target.

I must have missed that conversation previously

Phanuel

Platinum Member
Apr 25, 2008
It's happened several times. Use #00 buck for defense, end of story.

Ideal case, anybody foolish enough to be at the other end just leaves and you fire 0 shots.

Otherwise you feed them several shells of lethality. Not "trying" to kill an intruder who is bold enough to go for you even though you're armed is the most idiotic concept in self defense.

Last edited:

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Christ, not this again.

Birdshot is awesome for shooting clays.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
It's happened several times. Use #00 buck for defense, end of story.

Ideal case, anybody foolish enough to be at the other end just leaves and you fire 0 shots.

Otherwise you feed them several shells of lethality. Not "trying" to kill an intruder who is bold enough to go for you even though you're armed is the most idiotic concept in self defense.

I never said I wouldn't try to kill them.

I was under the impression bird shot was a little more lethal than you are insisting it is

mainly from videos like I posted

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003

Federal/Remmington target load for trap/skeet. I have no experience but people recommend against the Winchester wally-world specials in my research on the gun.

Anything with the Federal flight control wad (there's a few variations) 00 buck for home defense.

The flight control wad makes a massive difference (not choke, distance is too short for choke to matter much) for home defense ranges.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-56-federal-flight-control-1-buckshot/

Here's 00 buck vs 00 buck with flight control wad at 6 and 15 yards.
56-05.jpg

56-06.jpg

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
To further step away from the boring "black gun" stuff here is an interesting piece that I own.

A matching K98 Bayonet that may have the famous "Blood Pitting" people seem to freak out about.

42fnj1.jpg

Blood pitting on the hilt you mean? I don't buy into that so much. My FN Hi Power has "blood pitting" according to the seller. Maybe, maybe it's just some other caustic solution. When talking about antiques, I try to only talk about known things. I have a No4Mk1 that's got 12-14 different stampings on it, made in Maltby in 1941 and likely saw action in WWII...but I don't bill it as absolutely having been in action. I take issue with people/sellers who do to increase the value.

BlitzPuppet

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2012
Blood pitting on the hilt you mean? I don't buy into that so much. My FN Hi Power has "blood pitting" according to the seller. Maybe, maybe it's just some other caustic solution. When talking about antiques, I try to only talk about known things. I have a No4Mk1 that's got 12-14 different stampings on it, made in Maltby in 1941 and likely saw action in WWII...but I don't bill it as absolutely having been in action. I take issue with people/sellers who do to increase the value.

I bought it because of the plum blade, nothing was even mentioned about the pitting. I just noticed that the pitting in the metal matched the dark stains on the wood grips and thought it was neat.

I could always get it tested, but I don't want damage the wood at all.

Bartman39

Elite Member | For Sale/Trade
Jul 4, 2000
Yah sub $400 for the whole thing.

The upper is from here.

https://www.taurusdiamondbackdistrib...R-UPPC105.aspx

It's basically the same as the normal upper on their regular complete gun. Which the details can be found here.

http://diamondbackfirearms.com/product?id=31

Here is the relevant upper details.
Finish: Black Anodized Hardcoat
Barrel: 16" 4140 Chrome-Moly, M4 Contour, Free Float
Barrel Twist Rate: 1 x 9
Bolt Carrier: Shot-Peened, Magnetic Particle Inspected Mil Spec 8620 carrier
Upper Receiver: A3 Flattop Forged 7075 T6 Aluminum, T-Marked
Handguard: Diamondback Aluminum Modified Four Rail

The lower was from Palmetto State Armory. Link to the product is here.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...category/4284/

Stats are.
Machined from Aluminum Forgings 7075-T6
Hardcoat Anodizing: MIL-A-8625F, Type III, Class 2
Milspec Diameter Receiver Extension
Magpul ACS-L Black Stock
Magpul MOE Black Polymer Trigger Guard
Magpul MOE Black Pistol Grip
Staked M4 Lock Nut
Standard Carbine buffer
Un-notched Hammer compatible with 9mm use
Caliber: Multi

I bought the upper as part of Diamondback's black friday sale for $200 shipped. I got the lower as part of a daily deal for $180 with free shipping. The upper and lower mated quite well and the finish looks pretty much identical, although the upper is a bit more "matte" than the lower if I really look closely in the right light.

For a sub $400 ar15 I don't think I could have done better.

guess no one thought much about my build selection.

Nope...:D Was an awesome build for $400...

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Nope...:D Was an awesome build for $400...

Thanks. I just need to shoot it now when the weather gets a bit better on the weekends around here. Not that it is particularly cold most weekends, although some have been, but that it's been cold, wet, or both.

I do think it's interesting that the complete gun from diamondback is over $1000 normally and the lower with accessories doesn't quite look as good spec wise as the one I got from PSA. Or am I wrong on that?

Last edited:

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
It arrived!

In all its Moto X camera glory:
8Htpp02.jpg

qQdedME.jpg

Pre-Remlin Marlin 1894C, 9-shot .357 Magnum. Serial number dates it to the mid-90s. Very lightly used, a few light scratches and deep rifling, the wood is pristine. Previous owner put some nice aftermarket sights on it as well. Rear peep is adjustable for windage and elevation.

Last edited:

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Nice marlin

Thanks!

This. So much this.

Indeed. Don't get me wrong I'll still be buying an AR at some point, but the whole "tactical" thing is kinda getting worn out for me at this point. Just a monotonous train of black rifles, however awesome they may be. So much more character on these older designs, and for any likely civilian scenario they'll be almost as effective.

Hell even for the unlikely ones. If the zombies come and society collapses, that lever action will still be cranking with zero maintenance long after every AR and to a lesser extent every AK has worn itself out or run out of spare parts.

Last edited: