YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 80 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
At Walmart I saw federal priced at $20 for 100. Is that the cheapest I'll likely get?

Thats not a bad price. 20 cents a round is pretty common for the cheap "white box" 9mm ammo. White box simply means the cheap brass cased ammo. You can find it for 18-19 cents a round if you look around online. This is assuming 115 grain as well. 124-147 expect to pay a hair more for. For the 1k of 147 i bought i think it was right around 21 cents a round. if you watch slickguns youll find some decent deals (though they havent been popping up to recent..election and all).

So yes id pick up that ammo anyday if i needed some 9mm to shoot. Itll work just fine.

Also if you can hit up gunshows....usually can find some decent plinking ammo by purchasing reloaded ammo. Not from some random guy but actual companies.

O and a tip....save your brass if you can. Us reloaders have been known to buy once fired uncleaned brass for ~20 bucks per 1k (9mm). Just post it up on a local forum and im sure youd find someone. not a bad way to get a few more boxes for yourself just for picking up brass.

Last edited:

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Drying my ammo before I store it!

What 1600 rounds looks like.
ammo.JPG

drying ammo? that looks like factory ammo. did you leave it out in the rain?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Generally, I'd avoid steel. It can affect the gun's lifespan if the gun isn't meant for it. More than that, some ranges won't allow it. Look at cheaper than dirt. Buy the cheapest FMJ rounds you can there, preferably in bulk (500 or 1000 round case.)

cheaper than dirt isn't really that cheap compared to other online ammo sellers.
Even if they have a good price on ammo, their shipping costs usually ruin it.

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
At Walmart I saw federal priced at $20 for 100. Is that the cheapest I'll likely get?

That's pretty cheap for 9mm. Anything cheaper will probably be steel-cased. You're going to have to weigh sales tax versus shipping when buying ammo.

I actually bought 500 rounds of 115grn Wolf WPA (steel-cased) for the CZ. It runs fine (as it should, a Combloc pistol should run Combloc ammo), but I don't think I'll buy too much of it in the future. For a few cents more per round I'd go for PMC, which burns a lot cleaner and feels more "oomph."

You can also get Aguila (Spanish? Mexican?) brass cased 124 grn for less than 20 cents a round online. That's what I'm going to try next.

Remember FMJ is all practice/range ammo. If/when you use the pistol for self defense, you'll want self defense ammo, you'll want factory hollow points, +P or +P+. I hear the CZ likes 124 grn best, but I've only shot 115 grn through mine.

Last edited:

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
The store just got something very interesting today.

http://www.gundealeronline.com/product-p/rgrct.htm

I wasn't considering a Ruger SR9c, but this deal is way too good to ignore. I'm big on extended mags but I really don't like the contour of the full-size extension with this gun; I'd gladly trade the one full-size for two compact mags that have extensions. At worst if I don't like the Crimson Trace package, I sell that and buy a Viridian CTL and a holster and still only spend as much on the whole package as a brand new SR9c itself. Hopefully it'll stay until the weekend.

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
Id be more annoyed by whoever packaged it if water managed to penetrate both the outer box and the individual ammo boxes.

More like the outer box, the inner cardboard box, then all the individual boxes...plus the extra packing between inner and outer boxes. Least that's how all the ammo I've bought has come.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
More like the outer box, the inner cardboard box, then all the individual boxes...plus the extra packing between inner and outer boxes. Least that's how all the ammo I've bought has come.

Last brick I ordered was wrapped in a plastic bag, then put in the shipping box.

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
I just shot my 1942 Mosin Nagant over the weekend. I bought it quite a few months ago but never shot it after I wiped all the cosmoline off. It was so much fun, such a nice gun to shoot. Everyone else shooting it loved it, it got put away and brought back out about 5 times as everyone wanted to keep shooting it.

Wow though it was filthy afterwards. I must have spent nearly 2 hours running patches through it and it was still coming out dirty. There was also some green stuff coming out with the solvent. For my shotgun I just shove these long pads down it that rips all the junk out, so convenient. Is there a similar solution for rifles?

Also I am such an awful shot with my 1911. I couldn't shoot myself with it. Each time I miss AND lose about 45 cents!

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Also I am such an awful shot with my 1911. I couldn't shoot myself with it. Each time I miss AND lose about 45 cents!

Where on the target are you hitting? If right handed, I bet you're low and to the left?

If so, next time you shoot, shoot opposite hand. I bet you'll be dead on - I sure as hell was ages ago. Right handed, I was consistently low. Left handed, having never shot lefty before, I was dead accurate. Had to retrain my right hand.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
Where on the target are you hitting? If right handed, I bet you're low and to the left?

If so, next time you shoot, shoot opposite hand. I bet you'll be dead on - I sure as hell was ages ago. Right handed, I was consistently low. Left handed, having never shot lefty before, I was dead accurate. Had to retrain my right hand.
That's usually recoil anticipation that causes it to go low and left...I've found putting random snap caps in a magazine helps to train that away, when one comes up you'll see yourself push it and it makes you think more about not doing it the rest of the time...

WeldonHunter

Jun 12, 2011
I just shot my 1942 Mosin Nagant over the weekend. I bought it quite a few months ago but never shot it after I wiped all the cosmoline off. It was so much fun, such a nice gun to shoot. Everyone else shooting it loved it, it got put away and brought back out about 5 times as everyone wanted to keep shooting it.

Wow though it was filthy afterwards. I must have spent nearly 2 hours running patches through it and it was still coming out dirty. There was also some green stuff coming out with the solvent. For my shotgun I just shove these long pads down it that rips all the junk out, so convenient. Is there a similar solution for rifles?

If you're shooting corrosively primed surplus you need to take extra steps when cleaning. With that in mind mil-surp weapons have had corrosive ammo shot through them at some time in most cases which causes pitting if not properly cleaned and the bores are not always in the best shape. The shiney bores of modern weapons are a lot easier to clean than these old war relics. The green you saw was most likely copper. These rifles usually have some pitting however small that holds gunk and can take some effort to remove. This might help. http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6932

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
That's usually recoil anticipation that causes it to go low and left...I've found putting random snap caps in a magazine helps to train that away, when one comes up you'll see yourself push it and it makes you think more about not doing it the rest of the time...

Yes, that's what causes low/left. Mainly, my right hand would clench as I pulled the trigger. Firing lefty, my left hand was fine and I literally hit the bulls eye at 7-10 yards or so, and could repeat hitting the bulls eye again and again. Back to the right hand, and I was low. I was grouping GREAT, but I was low. In the woods back in august last time I was shooting I was hitting a propane tank with my 1911, a good 20-30 yards away, so I was happy.

But for me, snap caps didn't do it, I was fine with snap caps, with live rounds I lost it.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
Yes, that's what causes low/left. Mainly, my right hand would clench as I pulled the trigger. Firing lefty, my left hand was fine and I literally hit the bulls eye at 7-10 yards or so, and could repeat hitting the bulls eye again and again. Back to the right hand, and I was low. I was grouping GREAT, but I was low. In the woods back in august last time I was shooting I was hitting a propane tank with my 1911, a good 20-30 yards away, so I was happy.

But for me, snap caps didn't do it, I was fine with snap caps, with live rounds I lost it.
That's why I mix them in with live rounds, or rather have someone else do it for you so you don't know where they are...it makes you start to think about it when one comes up and you see yourself jerk;) I can't hit shit left handed, I've tried again and again but just can't seem to do it:(

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
That's why I mix them in with live rounds, or rather have someone else do it for you so you don't know where they are...it makes you start to think about it when one comes up and you see yourself jerk;) I can't hit shit left handed, I've tried again and again but just can't seem to do it:(

The problem I have with this is, I've had dead rounds before, where the primer doesn't go off, or the primer is slow. In these instances, if the gun doesn't go off, you pretty much brace yourself, count to ten keeping the gun pointed downrange, and then cycle it. With dead rounds, you too quickly skip to the next round (at least, I used to.)

The best that was done to me is one of the rangemasters took my 1911, fired it himself to see if it was accurate, then went to grab rounds to replace mine and took my magazine and loaded it for me. Well, he made it look like he did. Put the gun down with a full mag, empty chamber....told me it was chambered. When it didn't fire I of course started to worry about a dead round when he was good enough to point out it was empty.

Point is - this is a fine way to actually SEE yourself flinch, but make sure you're safe about it.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
Since I'm new to all this I have a question: do elections have any influence on ammo prices?

only if the president decides to wage multiple wars in multiple theaters. the only reason ammo prices went up was due to the shortage of brass and components because the manufacturers were fulfilling their government contracts/demand.