YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 83 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Phanuel

Platinum Member
Apr 25, 2008
I dunno, I just drop oil anywhere there is metal on metal contact and things move. Trigger assembly, striker assembly, guide rails, etc. But I'm also shooting combat tupperware (S&W M&P9).

Pia

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
Attention to detail is great, but don't worry about it more than you want to. If service weapon grade guns like the SP-01 required complicated maintenance to keep running, they would not fill their purpose.

For my Shadow, I spray a small amount of gun oil (NATO S-761, freezing point -57C so I don't have to worry about jamming in winter) inside on the parts that either move or get dirty while shooting. A drop along the rails, another in the breech face. A few in the chamber and barrel. A few to cover the large surfaces which collect residue, like inside of the slide and outside of the barrel. I let the oil sit and distribute itself for a while. Then I use fabric from an old shirt or sheet to wipe down the visible oil, and re-wipe forcefully until no more residue is coming off the surfaces and the feeding ramp is shining (other parts are matte so you don't have that kind of visual indicator...). Then I run a Boresnake through the barrel 2-3 times, which is the equivalent of a metal brush followed by patches. Once in every couple of cleanings I use matchsticks or toothpicks to dig dirt out of the corners of the breech face. And that's it. I don't use separate cleaning agents, grease, or anything else. Also, when I'm shooting more often, I'll clean the gun maybe once a week, not after every range trip.

Like everything else inside the gun, the guide rod gets a small amount of powder residue on it when you shoot. I'm about 99% certain it is not necessary to ever clean it. I still occasionally wipe it and the spring just because.

Phanuel

Platinum Member
Apr 25, 2008
1911s are more prone to dirty related malfunctions if the tolerances are tight. But most other pistols should have no problem going 1500 to 2000 rounds before having a malfunction due to being dirty. Obviously lube them regularly, but a full break down and cleaning shouldn't be an after every range trip affair.

Fayd

Diamond Member
Jun 28, 2001
www.manwhoring.com
A 20 round box weighs half a pound, so it's about 40 per pound. If you had 6000 it would be at least 150 pounds.

he said bullets, not rounds.

6000*55 grains = 330,000 grains.

330000 grains in lbs = 47.2 lbs.

edit: shows what i get for not reading the thread. someone already did the math.

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
Nope, just polycoat. Iirc it's a ceramic type finish or something. I found a scratch or something underneath the safety which I am annoyed with. May send it in if it bothers me. But since its under the safety I never see it lol...

I'll post pictures later.

My strategy is to shoot it until it looks really ugly, and then strip and cerakote in the color of my choice.

In other news, I am really considering picking up a KAC E3 complete lower. It just fits into my budget, but damn I'm spending a lot on guns these days.

x-alki

Golden Member
Jun 2, 2007
That just a battle scar. It'll be fine. :)

I used to be picky until it sunk into my fat skull that its a tool and its going to get scratched, show holster wear, etc..

onza

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
reviews.ragingazn.com
Are you going to be using this gun or will you be looking at the gun?

IMO - no biggy.

Well, i like the stock finish. I'm a little annoyed because I dont use the safety, so that mark would never appear there in regular usage for me. If i wanted to sell it, i'd have to lower the cost too. I may send it in later. Here are a couple pics:

Wonder how it even got there since it was NIB.

Last edited:

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Well, i like the stock finish. I'm a little annoyed because I dont use the safety, so that mark would never appear there in regular usage for me. If i wanted to sell it, i'd have to lower the cost too. I may send it in later. Here are a couple pics:

photo1_1-1.jpg

photo1-1.jpg

that looks like a normal wear and tear type mark to me, which is unavoidable. what really sucks is making an idiot scratch on a brand new 1911.

I'm currently building a 1911 with my uncle and its amazing how close tolerances are for different parts. we're talking hundredths and thousandths of an inch...

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Guys,

Budget "combat" shotgun - Rem. 870 vs. Mossberg. 500 vs. 590A1.. Go!

Thanks

I think quality is going to be about the same. The Mossberg has the safety on top of the receiver tang which many people find easier to operate, especially home defense scenario.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Guys,

Thanks

I assume you're talking budget, so the 870 express. Not really fair throwing in the 590A1 in there. MAYBE the 590, but not the 590a1.

Really, the biggest difference is the safety placement. The remington has it in the trigger guard while the mossberg has it on the top tang. Bad for pistol grips since you have to release your grip to operate it, unlike the remington.

Really though, I like the benelli supernova. Awesome little shotgun, breaks down with no tools and gives you 3.5" capability.

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
Guys,

Thanks

They are all great but I love the 870. Basically flip a quarter. I learned and trained with the 870 so it was my first love but the mossbergs are good guns as well. I'm currently shotgunless and an 870 will be my next firearm purchase.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Guys,

Thanks

I've got the Mossberg 500 Flex Cruiser - the one with a pistol grip and no butt-stock...it was 300 IIRC, shoots great. With a butt stock, the safety being on top is better IMO. Gun works great and accepts 3" shells if that matters for you.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004

Normal wear and tear. It happened during test firing, or handling at the store. Even if you get it fixed (which I doubt CZ would be willing to do for free) it'll happen again right away.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I may just end up asking CZ what they think. Mostly I'm worried about rust or something but that seems improbable.

OMG, forgot to mention...there are some parts of the handgun I had no fucking idea how to even reach lol. Little nooks and crannies everywhere.

Again, I wouldn't bother. It's a contact point and WILL just wear there. I'll take pics of the wear on my 1911 tonight as an example.

Pia

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
Well, i like the stock finish. I'm a little annoyed because I dont use the safety, so that mark would never appear there in regular usage for me.
So what you are really saying is that your gun has a tiny scratch which you will never even see.
Forget about it. The SP-01 is not a collector's piece, it is for shooting. Use the gun for a while, shoot a couple of thousand rounds, and there will be small scratches and scuffs no matter what. Even if you wanted to sell it (and why would you?), anyone who would buy it at that point will not care in the slightest about a scratch under the safety. At that point the value of the gun will depend on 1) whether it works, and 2) how much ammo has gone through it, not much else.