YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 77 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kyle

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
OMG I got it!!!!!!!!!!! I will post pics in a sec!!!!!! It feels so perfect!

Haha congrats- I was in your shoes towards the start of this thread but decided a couple months ago to hold off on purchasing a pistol - glad to hear you went through w/ getting one and sounds like it's exactly what you were wanting.

x-alki

Golden Member
Jun 2, 2007
Nice.
Do yourself a favor and tear it down, wipe the grease off the best you can and inspect it. Then tear it down again. Get to know it inside and out.

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
Congrats kazaam, the CZ75 is truly a beast. You will really enjoy that single action trigger, it is butter for a factory trigger, I mean it is really really nice.

That last photo did scare me.

Now spend $200 on practice ammo and shoot the thing!

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
Thanks man! Definitely feels sweet, you were right about that. The thing is impossible to rack, though. Are you having any problems with that? Disassembly is kinda hard too (the slide stop doesnt seem to want to come out with just my thumb, lol).

I can't do any damage at all with a snap cap...right? :confused:

Yeah I found the slide pretty stiff too. Part of it is because it's new, but it's compounded by the fact that the CZ75 has a reversed slide rail, so the surface area to grab the slide is smaller than on other autos. The slide serrations really dig into your skin.

As for takedown, I usually hold the slide to the takedown notch with my right hand, thumb on the rear strap, fingers wrapped over the slide, and pulling back on the rear sight. Once it's on the right spot, I tap the right slide of the slide stop with the butt of a magazine (it's plastic), and that does the trick.

I'm sure it'll break in with use.

The one surprise I had with the CZ75 was the the recoil spring guide rod is plastic (I wonder if it's plastic on yours).

Snap caps should be fine. Looks like yours is A-Zoom, judging by the purple color. It's aluminum, so it should be fine in a all-steel gun.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Nope! I thought the process was supposed to take longer...it literally took like 3 seconds for them to accept me lol.

Thanks man! Definitely feels sweet, you were right about that. The thing is impossible to rack, though. Are you having any problems with that? Disassembly is kinda hard too (the slide stop doesnt seem to want to come out with just my thumb, lol).

I can't do any damage at all with a snap cap...right? :confused:

Don't have any experience with CZs, but my 1911 initially made me feel like a weakling it was so hard to rack. A few hundred rounds later and it's perfect, can rack it no problem. I'm assuming the CZ is in similar condition, just needs break-in.

The whole idea of a snap cap is to avoid damaging the gun from dry-firing. Note that dry-firing is perfectly harmless on most modern handguns, but a snap cap is always nice for the extra reassurance.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I'd like to suggest thoroughly cleaning it and putting on some mili-tec, but only if you have the time to do it correctly.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Holy fuck bros, no need for that much maintenance on a good gun.

This is why a CZ-P01 will be my gun. So perfected.

Too many want to roll with a 'different' gun, IMHO I want to know it will fire every time.

I am no limp wrist, but I have had failures to fire on the range. Fuck that in my house.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
It was just kind of weird putting a bullet in there and firing at home lol. I meant like...shooting something damage-wise, not to the gun. I know its a noob question, i just need that weird reassurance. :D Although ive fired it a bunch and nothing has happened so i guess its just peace of mind.

Well last I checked snap caps don't have a separate projectile or any form of powder/primer in them so... yeah it is kinda weird pulling the trigger at home for the first time I guess.

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
I'm not gonna lie, that was surprising to me too. I knew it would come with one, but when i saw it i was like "meh." Maybe I will eventually get this just for coolness: SS guide rod.

Why do you want to change the guide rod? No real reason to in a 9mm IMO. Now if you were talking mild/hot loads in 10mm then i could understand but the stock guide rod is just fine in the 9mm. Save the money and buy a holster/ammo/mag/ect.

But yes time to get it out to the range and put some rounds through it! Plenty of free targets online for you to print if you want (instead of buying).
http://www.reloadbench.com/pdf.html
That site has a bunch of options. The splatter ones are pretty nice but meh after 15 rounds it gets a crowded for my liking. But i usually cheat and make copies of the targets at work and change them after 15-30 rounds :)

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
Why do you want to change the guide rod? No real reason to in a 9mm IMO. Now if you were talking mild/hot loads in 10mm then i could understand but the stock guide rod is just fine in the 9mm. Save the money and buy a holster/ammo/mag/ect.

The guide rod (at least on the CZ75) is not really a load bearing part, just there to keep the spring straight. Some minimal bending load from that I guess (you can imagine the spring buckles when the slide cycles), but it's the slide catch/take down lever that bears all that compressive loading from the spring.

So from a practical perspective I can understand why its plastic, but it's just not as "nice."

Last edited:

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Barring state regulations on transporting firearms, why? I can understand making sure the chamber's clear as a car crash could potentially set things off, but beyond that who cares? I know a guy who doesn't load mags at the range. He predominantly shoots 1911s, so he loads about 10 mags over the course of the week, brings them on the weekend and shoots them off. I don't think he transports them in the gun, but they're most certainly in the same range bag.

Like I said, if there are state/federal regulations in place then by all means follow them, but practically speaking there's nothing wrong or unsafe about transporting a loaded gun or a loaded mag, under direct control or not.

agree with this. I have mags loaded all the time, even for range use. I usually store/travel with the guns with a loaded mag inserted too (mag inserted, no round chambered, unless I'm carrying for protection).

PA has laws regarding firearms transportation but that is null (at least for handguns) if you have a License to Carry Firearms (CC license).

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Only do this if you have oil to put in, don't run the thing dry :)

no, these guns are sopping wet with oil/grease/or whatever they coat them in. My P-01 had a ton of the stuff on it, all over - inside and out. It needs to be wiped off and then re-oiled properly.

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
So how exactly does the snap cap prevent damage?

For a centerfire weapon, it just gives something soft for the firing pin to hit (i.e., if it were a live round, the firing pin would hit the primer). It's actually not critical at all for centerfire weapons.

It's generally regarded as essential for dry firing rimfire weapons: if there is no snap cap, the firing pin would slam into the (steel) breech face, or perhaps the side of the chamber, each time it is dry fired, potentially damaging the firing pin.

That's also not the case for all rimfires. I have a CZ 453, which is a 22LR bolt action. According to CZ, it's ok to dry fire without snap cap.

Last edited:

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
For a centerfire weapon, it just gives something soft for the firing pin to hit (i.e., if it were a live round, the firing pin would hit the primer). It's actually not critical at all for centerfire weapons.

It's generally regarded as essential for dry firing rimfire weapons: if there is no snap cap, the firing pin would slam into the (steel) breech face, or perhaps the side of the chamber, each time it is dry fired, potentially damaging the firing pin.

Sometimes the firing pin can also damage the breach face around the chamber.

Oh, and always load from the magazine. Don't place manually place a round into the chamber from the ejection port and bring the slide home. It is usually considered bad for the extractor.

EDIT: I always thought the factory grips on CZ's are so ugly. The G10 or aluminum grips make them look so much better.

Last edited: