Will the next stimulus bill be passed by March 14? And, when will this end?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
So long as this nation is productive, Basic Income can (and should) be a permanent fixture of sustaining consumers. Such policy can be deficit neutral and remain "forever". It would also fuel opportunities and risk taking, driving entrepreneurship and freedom of expression like never imagined. Freedom of location too. It is the sort of liberty Americans can only dream of, because of opposition in Washington protecting the fat cats and the status quo. As our entire system slowly decays into ruin around us. We need such policy now more than ever, and our need grows by the year.

The future of Capitalism is to continue slashing labor, we need policy that can adapt with and outlast automation. Policy that understands human beings are more than just hired servants to be chafed raw to the bone. We are not machines to be used, abused, and discarded like trash. Sustainability is a human right, and a dire necessity sorely missing from our lives.

We all need policy that says we are simply human. With compassion and benefits for all.
Damn man... Maybe one can argue that UBI is national security in terms of brazing for the next pandemic/xyz event. Wouldn’t it be awesome if covid-19 actually was the thing that pushed this thing through?

Reactions: zinfamous

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I dunno......maybe your question is possibly answered by this study in Stockton, CA, that's just being reported.....

Californians on universal basic income paid off debt and got full-time jobs

California Program Giving $500 No-Strings-Attached Stipends Pays Off, Study Finds

So, maybe you can show the research that backs up the continuing bullshit claim that's repeated ad nauseam---the part that's bolded in your post---by conservatives as fact, exactly as you did above, and have yet to show their "proof," as if there is some other than y'all's "feels." Because your comment is feel based, not fact based.

And my bad for not completely reading the thread to check that a reply had been made to the ignorance...
To be fair I think there is a bit of truth to the other side as well, I’ve seen it almost fell for it myself, had it not been for a gov program to kick me into gear again I coulda sailed through life on that “UBI level”.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I dunno......maybe your question is possibly answered by this study in Stockton, CA, that's just being reported.....

Californians on universal basic income paid off debt and got full-time jobs

California Program Giving $500 No-Strings-Attached Stipends Pays Off, Study Finds

So, maybe you can show the research that backs up the continuing bullshit claim that's repeated ad nauseam---the part that's bolded in your post---by conservatives as fact, exactly as you did above, and have yet to show their "proof," as if there is some other than y'all's "feels." Because your comment is feel based, not fact based.

And my bad for not completely reading the thread to check that a reply had been made to the ignorance...

I agree. My thread was made more on my feelings, then the core truths on UBI. Thanks for supplying the research. :)

I was just spouting off something I saw on YouTube.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Senate has (finally) passed the bill. House next week.

Yeah... wonder why the house won't like about the bill?
The lack of the $15 wage? Or the $300 unemployment? (they will want more). Or something else? I thought the senate would be hard with Manchin and all, but the house will be even harder because those Bernie Sanders folks want that 15 dollars. And they should. $15 an hour full time only comes out to some $31,000 a year and now a day $31,000 is hard to live on after taxes and with a one wage-earner family. I mean, $15 an hour is the least they can do. If republicans were still in control, for them the $7.50 an hour would be plenty enough for a worker. Not FOR THEM, mind you but for everyone else.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Yeah... wonder why the house won't like about the bill?
The lack of the $15 wage? Or the $300 unemployment? (they will want more). Or something else? I thought the senate would be hard with Manchin and all, but the house will be even harder because those Bernie Sanders folks want that 15 dollars. And they should. $15 an hour full time only comes out to some $31,000 a year and now a day $31,000 is hard to live on after taxes and with a one wage-earner family. I mean, $15 an hour is the least they can do. If republicans were still in control, for them the $7.50 an hour would be plenty enough for a worker. Not FOR THEM, mind you but for everyone else.
No, the house will pass the bill as is, most likely, and almost immediately. Pelosi has already guaranteed its passage.

See? I told you so.

Reactions: Pohemi and K1052

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Everybody should take a minute to bask in the fact that a Dem majority is passing a 2T stimmy with no pay fors and not even pretending to care what the GOP says, courtesy Joe Biden and two Dem senators from the state of Georgia.

What a journey.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
If you give people free money, good luck weaning them off. Imagine a 32 year old on UBI for a few years. Hasn't worked in years. Do you really think that he, or she will just get up and go get a job?

We kind of already do this with the expense of administering all these programs that could be replaced with UBI. For instance, just one "financial aid advisor" total compensation package can be six figures. That's a lot of UBIs that could do the job of helping people much better.

I think most Americans on UBI would just watse their time on Netflix, video games, drinking, smoking weed, etc. That's human nature. To do the least possible.

That's better than drudgery and commute.

I dunno......maybe your question is possibly answered by this study in Stockton, CA, that's just being reported....

You only have to look at military disability and military pension to see that it's rather silly. A lot of them still continue to work with x2 or x3 a Yang UBI.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
The Covid bill passed the Senate and heads back to the House.

Amazing that every Republican voted against this bill. Dems should never let the American people forget.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Amazing that every Republican voted against this bill. Dems should never let the American people forget.
Standard operating procedure. This is going to send out a lot of money to poor people, and Republicans have always had a problem with poor people having too much money.

Now, if this were, say, a tax cut for the ultra wealthy, they'd have no problem doing the exact same thing. For Republicans, rich people never have enough money.

The problem is, about 50% of Americans are against the poors getting any money at all, unless it's them getting the money, in which case it's only OK that they're getting money - because it's still a problem that the Democrats gave other people money. Because Republicans only care about people if they're the people getting cared for.

So, you can remind right-wing authoritarians about it if you want, but you'd be wasting your time. They'd just double-down on their anger that someone besides them got money, because they didn't deserve it, being poors or whatever.

Reactions: dank69

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Will Joe's name be on the checks? Maybe THAT was the republican problem with this current stimulus effort, that TRUMP'S NAME will not be on the checks? The fact that all republicans, even the ones that Trump threatens to campaign against (haha, lol) also voted against the bill. But this is not accurate. Republicans, all republicans, were voting against THE AMERICAN PEOPLE. They actually put their jobs AND hopes that Trump will return BEFORE the American people's interests. Is anyone surprised?

Now back to the house. I wonder what unnecessary drama will develop out of the house? GAWD.... if these people were hired babysitters a parent would never know if their kid would be dead or alive when the parent returned home.

lamedude

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
Anyone else miffed they're giving a $10.2K tax deduction to unemployment? They can make that retroactive but not the new EIC so us "essential" childless workers get left out again.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
Anyone else miffed they're giving a $10.2K tax deduction to unemployment? They can make that retroactive but not the new EIC so us "essential" childless workers get left out again.

You are mad about this?

Last edited:

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
The unemployment tax reduction has nothing to do with having children.. so I'm not really sure what your issue is. Having the first $10.2K unemployment benefits is a savings of 1k to 2.5k in taxes depending on your income level and has NOTHING to do with having children. It helps everyone who make below 150k income that gets unemployment. So how is this leaving childless workers out? EIC has nothing to do with essential childless workers either.. so again, not sure what your issue is. Or are you upset because you are an essential worker and you have to work?

Reactions: zinfamous

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
The unemployment tax reduction has nothing to do with having children.. so I'm not really sure what your issue is. Having the first $10.2K unemployment benefits is a savings of 1k to 2.5k in taxes depending on your income level and has NOTHING to do with having children. It helps everyone who make below 150k income that gets unemployment. So how is this leaving childless workers out? Or are you upset because you are an essential worker and you have to work?

Wasn't it specifically put in place to address the surprise tax bills that a ton of folks are facing? Wasn't it something like only only 40% of unemployment payments in 2020 had taxes withheld? It sure seems like some are looking around for downed dogs to kick.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Wasn't it specifically put in place to address the surprise tax bills that a ton of folks are facing? Wasn't it something like only only 40% of unemployment payments in 2020 had taxes withheld? It sure seems like some are looking around for downed dogs to kick.
Yes, that is why. But It doesn't matter if you had taxes withheld or not. Most states only hold 10% for taxes if you have them do it, which won't cover all the taxes. So everyone on unemployment received a surprise tax bill unless you where low income to begin with regardless if you had that 10% withheld or not, some where just a bigger surprise than others. (well not everyone, there are some who knew they would have a tax bill and planned for it). I personally don't believe unemployment should be taxes at all unless they are getting equal or more than their normal income. Or at least during normal times when they are not getting extra from the federal government. It's just the government already kicking someone down on their luck or suffering as most unemployment benefits are a fraction of your normal income and those who end up on unemployment are already facing financial crysis, and the government taking taxes on top of it just makes it worse.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
Yes, that is why. But It doesn't matter if you had taxes withheld or not. Most states only hold 10% for taxes if you have them do it, which won't cover all the taxes. So everyone on unemployment received a surprise tax bill unless you where low income to begin with regardless if you had that 10% withheld or not, some where just a bigger surprise than others. (well not everyone, there are some who knew they would have a tax bill and planned for it).
Good to know, thanks. Now that I put some thought into it it seem sort of odd that payment on an insurance claim I taxed.

Jul 9, 2009
I hope they hurry it up. I got a couple vacations planned and i'd like this administration to pay the extra costs for my gas. Fly fishing the Yellowstone and family vacation and my annual trip to the Crazy Horse Monument.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I hope they hurry it up. I got a couple vacations planned and i'd like this administration to pay the extra costs for my gas. Fly fishing the Yellowstone and family vacation and my annual trip to the Crazy Horse Monument.

What an interesting position to be in--being "poor" enough to benefit from the stimulus, and dumb enough to continue supporting the party that wants to kill it.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
What an interesting position to be in--being "poor" enough to benefit from the stimulus, and dumb enough to continue supporting the party that wants to kill it.
Interestingly enough he was a big supporter of a Republican bill that cost just as much but probably benefitted him personally significantly less or really, probably long term raised his taxes.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Ain't you one of them fucking republicans that doesn't want the gubermnt in their lives, but wants it in the reproductive business of women? Unless they are giving you a fucking check you shit stain on society. And while you are at it, just shut the fuck up retard.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Ain't you one of them fucking republicans that doesn't want the gubermnt in their lives, but wants it in the reproductive business of women? Unless they are giving you a fucking check you shit stain on society. And while you are at it, just shut the fuck up retard.
It’s best to view him as a sports fan. He doesn’t really care what the republicans are for, they are his team and he roots for them.