Why is showing your ID to vote such an issue?

Discussion in 'Politics and News' started by TheSpy007, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Capt Caveman

Capt Caveman Lifer

Stop trolling. You haven't been able to disprove my point yet. Voter impersonation is non-existent. Voter ids would not stop the types of voter fraud that currently occur. Are you for the TSA? Do you think mail in voting should be allowed?

2. Capt Caveman

Capt Caveman Lifer

You must not live in the USA though you list you're located in CA. Thankfully, we live in a country where voter id is not mandatory b/c there's no reason for it. I'm sure you're the type that believes we need the TSA and other authorities that don't serve a real purpose but is only a facade.

I'd worry about larger scale voter fraud that has occurred that voter id does not stop.

3. Quakester

Quakester Senior member

Since you don't know me, to prefabricate what I believe in makes you an idiot. You should change your avatar to senior troll.

4. Capt Caveman

Capt Caveman Lifer

Read your original post here, I just corrected your ignorance. I feel pretty confident my mother who doesn't have an ID is more intelligent than you. I know she wouldn't make idiotic comments like calling those without ids retards.

No ID = no vote? GTFO

5. sixone

sixone Lifer

It's a states' rights issue. The state controls who gets the electoral college votes.

Senators were originally intended to represent each soverign state and its rights, since members of Congress represent the people who elected them. But they fucked that all up with the 17th Amendment.

6. sixone

sixone Lifer

Okay, then where's your proof that absentee voter fraud is actually happening?

7. sdifox

sdifox No Lifer

I don't have a problem with the state deciding the electoral college vote distribution method, but I think a better system is to have fed control voting method and eligibility since it is a federal election.

8. sixone

sixone Lifer

That's probably not very surprising, if you want the federal government to have that much power. Our system was designed to prevent that from happening - thought it's being grossly perverted today.

9. theprodigalrebel

First World Problems

10. VulgarDisplay

VulgarDisplay Diamond Member

This x100000000.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0212/72830.html

The only way a person would be against the country getting their shit organized would be because they know it would impact their political party. We have the technology to fix these issues so why aren't they being fixed.

11. torpid

torpid Lifer

Technology is sort of the opposite of voter id. A laminated card that requires more manual human intervention to verify is pretty antiquated. At least in Wisconsin, it also would have been very expensive (between monitoring and free ID costs). A technological solution surely exists that is way cheaper than requiring antiquated driver's license IDs without any machines to scan them.

12. sdifox

sdifox No Lifer

What do you mean power? It's a federal election for crying out loud. All I am asking for is an uniform policy across the USA that says this is how you vote and who can vote. This is akin to a county setting up parameters for a state governor election. Utterly ridiculous.

13. JM Aggie08

JM Aggie08 Diamond Member

For God's sake it's an ID. If you don't have one, you probably don't have the mental competence to vote anyways.

14. sixone

sixone Lifer

Not if you value the sovereignty of each state - and I realize that most people don't, because the majority voted for Obama. The federal government is supposed to be controlled by the states, not the other way around.

15. AznAnarchy99

AznAnarchy99 Lifer

Power of the states got shot when half of them decided to succeed and failed.

16. sixone

sixone Lifer

Do you mean "secede"?

In any case, I would dispute that. The power of the states was slowly worn away by apathy and failure to protect it.

17. jagec

jagec Lifer

The Civil War and its aftermath was a pretty big coup for the federalists.

18. thraashman

thraashman Lifer

Voting is a Constitutionally guaranteed right. To tell me I'm not allowed to vote because I don't have an ID is to violate the Constitution and disenfranchise. It is Constitutionally illegal to require an ID just like it would be Constitutionally illegal to require me to be able to recite the lyrics to Call Me Maybe to be allowed to vote.

19. dabuddha

dabuddha Lifer

I'm confused. How would you propose that they determine who you are when you come up to vote if you refuse to show ID? What's to stop you from going to multiple polling places and voting multiple times?

20. AznAnarchy99

AznAnarchy99 Lifer

Yea. I was trying to google the right spelling but I failed :(

21. sixone

sixone Lifer

No, it is not. The privilege of voting is granted by the state you reside in. That's why Jesse Jackson, Jr. is working for an amendment to the Constitution.

The Supreme Court has upheld the consitutionality of voter ID laws, where an ID can be obtained at no cost to the voter. Please read up on Crawford v. Marion County Election Board before posting further false information.

22. Born2bwire

Born2bwire Diamond Member

This here. I'm certainly fine with voter ID being required, but they can't just pass this and get it enacted just a few months before the elections. The people that do not have IDs are probably the ones who will find it most difficult to obtain them (disabled, elderly and others who have troubles getting around). As long as they allow ample time for people to get the IDs and costs a very modest fee then I would have no problem with it.

23. spidey07

spidey07 No Lifer

Many states require ID and it works great. Anybody that says it's "disenfranchising" is only because they want people who can't legally vote to do so. No ID = voter fraud.

24. Capt Caveman

Capt Caveman Lifer

Have you ever voted? You would know the answer if you have.

25. Capt Caveman

Capt Caveman Lifer

Incorrect like usual. How's Rick Perry as our President doing?

Again, all voter fraud that's occurred, voter id would not have prevented it. But keep on playing that card, you've been pretty consistent in being incorrect.