Why is showing your ID to vote such an issue?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
With 50% turnout or less you have a good chance of picking someone who wasns't going to show up to begin with. Then what? You're talking about cases where you're impersonating someone who is planning to show up.

Then provide me a case of this happening? Unless there's impersonators are so good that they can be ensured that the actual voter won't come to vote.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
the USA is not a third world country, if you can't afford an ID (ie, 3-4 hours of minimum wage work), gtfo pls

Feb 19, 2001
Then provide me a case of this happening? Unless there's impersonators are so good that they can be ensured that the actual voter won't come to vote.

so you're saying there's no reason to setup a system to prevent fraud until it actually happens?

should you unlock your door until someone finally decides to walk into your house and rob it? basic precautions that don't take anything away from your life are fine.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
the USA is not a third world country, if you can't afford an ID (ie, 3-4 hours of minimum wage work), gtfo pls

Could be more than that. You have to factor in the potential lost wages too, and the possibility that someone would have to acquire a birth certificate which can be costly depending on where you were born (and time-consuming). I'd say it could easily be 8 hours of minimum wage work.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
so you're saying there's no reason to setup a system to prevent fraud until it actually happens?

should you unlock your door until someone finally decides to walk into your house and rob it? basic precautions that don't take anything away from your life are fine.

There's no reason to set up an inferior fraud protection system that costs a not-insubstantial amount of money if there is an insignificant amount of fraud happening. The ROI is too low.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
Could be more than that. You have to factor in the potential lost wages too, and the possibility that someone would have to acquire a birth certificate which can be costly depending on where you were born (and time-consuming). I'd say it could easily be 8 hours of minimum wage work.

That's a fair exchange for the privilege of voting. If that's too much effort to make every four years or so, then that person probably isn't taking the time to educate themselves about the issues, either.

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
I'm still waiting for proof of this voter impersonation happening. I'm giving you alternate means of providing forms of identification if ever a case of voter impersonation occurred.

Since you're for spending resources on a crime that is non-existent, I'm just asking if you're for the TSA b/c people believe it just provides people with a false sense of security which requiring voter id would also.

I've provided examples of where your alternate means could easily be bypassed. I'm guessing at this point you're being obtuse on purpose and you're probably one of those people that cheers on the douche bags that record themselves harass police officers.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
There's no reason to set up an inferior fraud protection system that costs a not-insubstantial amount of money if there is an insignificant amount of fraud happening. The ROI is too low.

My house has never been broken into. Are you telling me I don't need to lock my doors? Should I cancel the parts of my homeowners insurance that covers burglary and theft? That's costing me a substantial amount of money for an insignificant risk.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I have no problem with people having to show ID to vote.

IF they make it law. they should also make it so you can get STATE ID's free. though hell $10 for 10 years (i think is what IL was. it was a insane amount of time) is fine.

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
I have no problem with people having to show ID to vote.

IF they make it law. they should also make it so you can get STATE ID's free. though hell $10 for 10 years (i think is what IL was. it was a insane amount of time) is fine.

Agreed that it should be free if it's required. Most normal folk like us have drivers licenses so we wouldn't need them anyways.

I know in Virginia, it's $10 for 5 years (OMG I'll need to take out a 2nd mortgage to get one!)

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Glad my area is filled with sane, normal people.

Register to vote...
Qualifications to Register to Vote

• be a United States citizen;
  • be 18 years old by December 31 of the year in which you file this form (note: you must be 18 years old by the date of the general, primary or other election in which you want to vote);
  • live at your present address at least 30 days before an election;
  • not be in prison or on parole for a felony conviction and;
  • not be adjudged mentally incompetent by a court;
  • not claim the right to vote elsewhere.
Verifying your identity
We’ll try to check your identity before Election Day, through the DMV number (driver’s license number or non-driver ID number), or the last four digits of your social security number, which you’ll fill in below.
If you do not have a DMV or social security number, you may use a valid photo ID, a current utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, government check or some other government document that shows your name and address. You may include a copy of one of those types of ID when you mail this form.
If we are unable to verify your identity before Election Day, you will be asked for ID when you vote for the first time

When it is time to vote, I walk up to the little old lady at the table with the big book of names.
I give her my name.
She looks it up in the book. My name signature and current address will be on file.
I sign next to my signature on file. She verifies they match.
I go vote.

No id
No shenanigans
No stupidity

Why the hell should I show a state issued ID to vote in a national election?
Is someone worried that someone is going to show up at the polls, give my name and address and forge my signature?
If I get there first they are shit out of luck.
If they get there first then law enforcement gets involved.

Now a quick glance of cases involving identity theft\voter fraud revealed...nothing.
Evey once in why you'll see some moron try to beat the registration system.

Making voters bring ID seems to be a solution to an imaginary problems.
It's like putting in a law that prevents feeding of gremlins after midnight or laws that ban people from flashing high beams at cars with lights out at night (because thats all the gang initiation stuff)

Humpy

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2011
...Or are you saying that the polling places would have picture ID information for each person already so they can look at the picture and compare it to the person claiming to be Humpy?

Yes, this. Although I wouldn't get hung up on the photo aspect of it. Having some volunteer matching photos and signatures to a person isn't very reliable. Better would be a security question or PIN of some sort.

Voting should be dead simple so as many people who are interested in voting actually vote. It should also be secure. Requiring a plastic card does neither.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
My house has never been broken into. Are you telling me I don't need to lock my doors? Should I cancel the parts of my homeowners insurance that covers burglary and theft? That's costing me a substantial amount of money for an insignificant risk.

Those are effective measures. Though I doubt it actually costs you a significant amount of money to cover just the burglary and theft part. Imagine instead of locking your doors and having insurance, you instead invested in a lock for a single window of your house that you believe to be an easy way for them to enter. You leave all the other entries unlocked and cancel your insurance, and pay $200/mo for this one lock. Yes, it's true, without that lock someone could probably enter your house. It has never happened but it seems like a good measure.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
For people who are looking for a solution, for people who hoard illegals to polling booth it's still a problem and they will cry foul.

i have yet to hear a realistic way for this to actually happen.

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004

Register to vote...

When it is time to vote, I walk up to the little old lady at the table with the big book of names.
I give her my name.
She looks it up in the book. My name signature and current address will be on file.
I go vote.

No id
No shenanigans
No stupidity

Is someone worried that someone is going to show up at the polls, give my name and address and forge my signature?

Now a quick glance of cases involving identity theft\voter fraud revealed...nothing.

It's like putting in a law that prevents feeding of gremlins after midnight or laws that ban people from flashing high beams at cars with lights out at night (because thats all the gang initiation stuff)

You need an ID to: Get a job, cash a check, open a bank account, get an apartment, travel on an airplane, get a library card, enter most government buildings and receive many public benefits

An election is very important, why would they throw the ID requirement out the window?

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004

There aren't an insignificant number of burglaries. There are an insignificant number of cases of in-person voter fraud.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
Those are effective measures. Though I doubt it actually costs you a significant amount of money to cover just the burglary and theft part. Imagine instead of locking your doors and having insurance, you instead invested in a lock for a single window of your house that you believe to be an easy way for them to enter. You leave all the other entries unlocked and cancel your insurance, and pay $200/mo for this one lock. Yes, it's true, without that lock someone could probably enter your house. It has never happened but it seems like a good measure.

Except no one is asking anyone to spend $200 for an ID, not ever and not monthly. The vast majority of Americans have ID already, so that they can drive or cash their paychecks. Inconveniencing the few that don't already have one is not a good reason not to require ID to vote.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
I've provided examples of where your alternate means could easily be bypassed. I'm guessing at this point you're being obtuse on purpose and you're probably one of those people that cheers on the douche bags that record themselves harass police officers.

And you've yet to show how this has actually happened. I could also bypass your voter id with a fake id.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
And you've yet to show how this has actually happened. I could also bypass your voter id with a fake id.

Your fake ID is going to cost a lot more money than his real one. And it's going to have to fool people who have been trained to spot fakes. Possible, but not likely.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Your fake ID is going to cost a lot more money than his real one. And it's going to have to fool people who have been trained to spot fakes. Possible, but not likely.

Trained? You mean we need to hire people now? And you think cost is an issue for those that want to commit voter fraud?

How about we just don't spend the resources since it's not a problem?

I'd rather spend the resources on more police, more IRS auditors and more FDA inspectors.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Tell us all about the intense fake ID training that volunteer poll workers go through.

Feb 19, 2001

Register to vote...

I give her my name.
I go vote.

No id
No shenanigans
No stupidity

verifying signature. so some volunteer does it. how capable is that person? it varies. what about handwriting experts? I registered to vote at 18. My signature is largely the same, but I'd say it's not the same when I was in high school, and can recognize the difference. Is that a large enough difference for my absentee ballot to be rejected? Perhaps? I'll never know.

The point is why use something subjective like this? ID is pretty clear.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yes I have voted many times and I showed my driver's license every time. Can you answer the question now?

so...you know that you can only vote at the polling place where you are assigned, right?

I mean...this one bit should be pretty obvious.

Feb 19, 2001
There aren't an insignificant number of burglaries. There are an insignificant number of cases of in-person voter fraud.

Insignificant according to whom? There's plenty of SYSTEMS to prevent "bad" things from happening. Sometimes we ask ourselves is there too much red tape? Sometimes in heavily regulated industries like medicine and medical devices, yeah. I'd say so. But we always work to streamline the process without compromising quality.

Is having your ID when you vote a huge amount of red tape? Any person who participates in part of this modern society has a freaking ID. And guess what? If this is such a huge issue, I'm sure we can come up with some government plan to equip everyone with an ID.

So rather than helping everyone get an ID, you're discouraging the setup of such a system to ensure individual and ballot match and that there's no duplicates.

NONE of sets up a huge amount of red tape for an average person.

If you can't get yourself a state issued ID, you need to ask yourself, what the hell is wrong with you?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Agreed that it should be free if it's required. Most normal folk like us have drivers licenses so we wouldn't need them anyways.

I know in Virginia, it's $10 for 5 years (OMG I'll need to take out a 2nd mortgage to get one!)

doesn't matter really. 1 cent, $10, $20 for an ID to vote, still constitutes a poll tax, and this is unconstitutional.

Holy shit--I thought we had strict originalists in here--beholden to the very letter of the word in this infallible document.

Personally, I don't really care about requiring IDs (even though there is essentially zero need for them, and absolutely no case where they would ever prevent the current non-existence of fraud) but of course, only:

--These IDs are completely free.
--the steps to acquire them are easily accessible to any and everyone that is granted the constitutional right to vote--sorry if you guys don't like the poor, the crackheads, and the homeless, but you simply can't blow out this voter fraud horseshit without accepting the fact that you very much desire to want to under-represent certain segments of the population. Of course, the current attempts to kill the vote also drastically affect the elderly, which for those who claim rampant voter fraud, represents a voting segment that they very much do not want to silence.
--such implementation is established long before any election season. Meaning, people are granted up to ~4? years to obtain the proper identification before such restrictions are ever adopted at polling locations. Further, replacing these IDs is near-instant and hassle-free.