Why is showing your ID to vote such an issue?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blackdogdeek

Lifer
Mar 14, 2003
i think i may have been confused about what this issue is about. i originally thought that the problem was that people didn't want to show an ID they already had; sort of an invasion of privacy argument. but it sounds now like the issue is that people don't think they should be required to get an ID to vote. and now i can certainly see validity of the latter.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Name and Address

Here in AZ that would get her a provisional ballot.

Here's an alternative. Go to library and make sure registrar has your current address. Get a mail in ballot. Fill it out and drop it off at the nearest polling station. Problem solved.

Oh wait. The expense of using gas to get to the library and the polling station would equal a polling tax. Shit.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
My mother is in her 70s and does not drive anymore and thus has no ID. She has been voting at the same location for over 50 years. Why should she now go and get an ID?

Because she's obviously a responsible citizen who values the privilege of voting.

It's not like she has to go in once a year to get her ID renewed. Most states renew every four years, or longer. I don't think that asking her to do that is overly burdensome.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Because there are many people who do not have an ID, and requiring one would force them to pay to get one. In essence, it's a voting tax, which reduces the likelihood that those living in or near poverty are able to vote.

Understand that I completely agree that you should have to show ID to vote as protection against voter fraud, but only if the IDs are given out freely (unlike driver's licenses, which cost money).

And short of walking or hitch hiking to a polling station, GETTING to the polling station would, in essence, be a polling tax too. Oh wait. They couldnt drive...no ID. Bus! Shit. The bus has a fare. No way around it then. Gotta spend $$$ to vote.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
And short of walking or hitch hiking to a polling station, GETTING to the polling station would, in essence, be a polling tax too. Oh wait. They couldnt drive...no ID. Bus! Shit. The bus has a fare. No way around it then. Gotta spend $$$ to vote.

Better just cancel the whole process. It's clearly unconstitutional. :rolleyes:

Xellos2099

Platinum Member
Mar 8, 2005
I am also confuse about not having ID in this age and day. Go to bar? ID, go to movie, ID, use credit card, ID. G ot social service, ID.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Here in AZ that would get her a provisional ballot.

Here's an alternative. Go to library and make sure registrar has your current address. Get a mail in ballot. Fill it out and drop it off at the nearest polling station. Problem solved.

Oh wait. The expense of using gas to get to the library and the polling station would equal a polling tax. Shit.

Or continue how she's been voting for over 50 years b/c no one has still provide proof of people voting under other people's names/addresses.

A 90 year old woman wasn't allowed to vote today due to not having a drivers license - http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnwasik/2012/11/06/voter-fraud-a-massive-anti-democratic-deception/

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

Actually, there are numerous groups/services that will drive people to the polling stations if they're not able to make it on their own.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
My mother is in her 70s and does not drive anymore and thus has no ID. She has been voting at the same location for over 50 years. Why should she now go and get an ID?

You can get a state ID, does not need to be a DL. I have a Texas ID, it was 5 dollars

blackdogdeek

Lifer
Mar 14, 2003
Do you have links that people are voting and aren't who they say they are?

i do not. in fact, i found a link that states:

There are virtually no recent cases of voter impersonation fraud and no evidence in at least a generation that it has been used in an effort to steal an election.

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2012/08/repeat-after-me-person-person-person

so i am leaning against the requirement to have to display an ID in order to vote IN PERSON. most especially for this:

The court case against Pennsylvania's new voter ID law is wrapping up, and supporters of the law say it's necessary in order to reduce voter fraud. However, when you hear the words "voter fraud," there are three things you need to keep clearly in mind:

* In-person
* In-person
* In-person

Got that? There's only one kind of fraud that voter ID stops: in-person voter fraud. That is, the kind of fraud where someone walks into a polling place and tries to vote under someone else's name. That's it.

ATOT has taught me something today.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
And yet the same guy suggests DNA chips. Do you really think those are less expensive than a photo ID card?

I'm guessing you didn't understand the bolded.

* You can tie in voter identification to any number of biometrics such as fingerprints or retinal scans. While that may prove too expensive to implement now, it’s something to consider when the technology gets cheaper. DNA sample chips, anyone?

Any links where people are voting as someone else? Do you think we need the TSA?

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
In my country they just send an envelope to your place of residence with all the voting material and a piece of paper with your name that you have to sign.
Illegal? you don't get the material
no legal residence? you don't get the material
Besides, everyone has an ID because when the police controls you for any reason, if you don't have one they have the right to take you to the police station for formal identification.

I think having an ID should be mandatory and free.

Last edited:

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
Any links where people are voting as someone else? Do you think we need the TSA?

Since voter fraud is a felony, they'd go to jail for admitting it, so you won't see any such links. However, there are documented examples of people asking for someone else's ballot, and the willingness of poll workers to hand it right over.
Here's one for you.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Only liberals complain about having to show an ID to vote

Probably because all voter ID laws introduced to date have been transparent attempts to reduce the turnout of legitimate liberal voters. Much like restrictions on early voting.

That said, this voter would be OK with voter ID requirements IF (A)They were enacted and publicized well before the actual election year, (B)IDs were supplied free of charge, and (C)The documentation requirements weren't so onerous that legitimate voters would be excluded from getting an ID.

At that point it would just be a total waste of money to solve a problem that doesn't exist, instead of a total waste of money AND an attempt to skew election results.

Feb 25, 2011
Since voter fraud is a felony, they'd go to jail for admitting it, so you won't see any such links. However, there are documented examples of people asking for someone else's ballot, and the willingness of poll workers to hand it right over.
Here's one for you.

The reason you won't find many links is it that it almost never happens.

Like, half of one instance per state, per election.

And it's probably addle-brained geezers, rather than malicious vote-frauders.