Why is Fox New Defending George Zimmerman?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Someone was shot dead who was Unarmed and not committing a Crime and you're wondering why the shooter is not being charged with anything? :rolleyes:

if you cant stay on topic of the thread dont post. if you want to discuss the case there is a huge thread about it just waiting for you.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Just what we need in time for the election, more Democrats screaming for more gun control, new violent Occupy protests and possible "no justice no peace" riots.

Hyperbole much? When people do get shot over a verbal confrontation and the law protects the shooter then it's a bad law.

http://www.johntfloyd.com/comments/february08/27a.htm

In August 2006 Florida reporter Adam Liptak wrote about two cases in which two shooters escaped prosecution under the “Castle Doctrine” after shooting people. One was a Port Richey, Florida prostitute who killed a 72-year-old client with his own gun rather than flee. The prostitute, Jacqueline Galas, said that Frank Labiento, a longtime client, had threatened to kill her and then kill himself. A suicide note left by Labiento supported Galas’ claim.

“Before that [Castle Doctrine] law,” said Michael Halkities, division director of the state attorney general’s office, “before you could use deadly force, you had to retreat. Under the new law, you don’t have to do that.”

The Castle Doctrine protected Galas, Halkitis said. “It would have been a more difficult situation with the old law [not to charge her],” he added. “Much more difficult.”
The second case Liptak wrote about involved a retired Virginia police officer living in Clearwater, Florida named Kenneth Allen who shot his neighbor following a shouting match over putting out garbage.

“Had it been a year and half ago,” said Jason Rosenbloom, the neighbor who was shot, “he [Allen] would have been arrested for attempted murder. I was in T-shirt and shorts. I was no threat. I had no weapon.”

Rosenbloom had knocked on Allen’s door to express his displeasure that Allen had filed a complaint with the local authorities because Rosenbloom had put eight bags of garbage when a local ordinance allowed only six bags. The two got into an argument and, according to Rosenbloom, Allen closed the door and then opened it again.
“He [Allen] had a gun,” Rosenbloom said. “I turned around to put my hands up. He didn’t even say a word, and he fired once into my stomach. I bent over, and he shot me in the chest.”
Allen was not charged. It is cases like Allen and Galas that prompt most prosecutors to be critical of the Castle Doctrine laws.

“They’re basically giving citizens more rights to use deadly force than we give police officers, and with less review,” said Paul Logli, former president of the National District Attorneys Association.

The above is an excerpt from a lawyer's website page that specifically addresses Stand your Ground laws.

Here is a news link about the Jason Rosenbloom shooting in particular.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/23/us-usa-florida-shooting-law-idUSBRE82M0QQ20120323

While the altercation between Trayvon Martin and Mr. Zimmerman was physical any law that lets you shoot a neighbor over a verbal argument about garbage and not be charged with anything at all is fucking stupid... but I'm sure you'll find some way to defend it.

Last edited:

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I can't believe this. It seems like every stupid/evil position of every possible news story is defended by Fox News. All people want is for George Zimmerman put on trial just like anyone else would be if they shot someone.

Because the Law that allowed him to get away with blowing away the Black kid was a Product of ALEC and the NRA.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Because the Law that allowed him to get away with blowing away the Black kid was a Product of ALEC and the NRA.

One sentence summary of why Fox is bringing up as many reasons as possible as to why Trayvon Martin was the real reason for his own shooting.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011

Don't forget the State Congressmen who signed it into law. They were just doing what the people of their state elected them to do. If it was such a bad law, those people would have been replaced and so would the law.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
It's not just Fox. Most all the right-wing sites are "painting" Trayvon as bad as they can. They're playing to their viewer's demographics.

Remember the Simpson's cartoon. "Not racist, but #1 with racists."

Foxnews came out with a biased and f'ed up analysis of the audio recording where some tard with software only got a 35-40% match with Zimmerman's voice.

Then if you think they're still in the bag for Zimmerman you must not have seen Geraldo.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Don't forget the State Congressmen who signed it into law. They were just doing what the people of their state elected them to do. If it was such a bad law, those people would have been replaced and so would the law.

The people of Florida wants a justifiable homicide law? LMAO

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
The people of Florida wants a justifiable homicide law? LMAO

If that's all your lib brain can think it is, sure. It justifies use of deadly force for self defense. It doesn't allow for people to go out and murder at will. There are several states with the same laws and many more thinking about adding them. No one can hide behind these laws and use it for justification of murder. If that is the case here, you will see Z being prosecuted.

No insults or personal attacks.

Administrator Idontcare

Last edited by a moderator:

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Hyperbole much? When people do get shot over a verbal confrontation and the law protects the shooter then it's a bad law.

The above is an excerpt from a lawyer's website page that specifically addresses Stand your Ground laws.

Here is a news link about the Jason Rosenbloom shooting in particular.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/23/us-usa-florida-shooting-law-idUSBRE82M0QQ20120323

While the altercation between Trayvon Martin and Mr. Zimmerman was physical any law that lets you shoot a neighbor over a verbal argument about garbage and not be charged with anything at all is fucking stupid... but I'm sure you'll find some way to defend it.

Defend it ? Hell, I'll champion it, I wish we had that law in my State. You must hate the idea of a woman being able to defend herself from a murderer.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
...any law that lets you shoot a neighbor over a verbal argument about garbage and not be charged with anything at all is fucking stupid... but I'm sure you'll find some way to defend it.

You are cross posting this, yet your own links show you are not telling the truth. Why do you post what is already shown to be a lie by your own links?

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Back to the topic:

We have FoxNews telling the truth and people are upset by it. No one cares to explain why they are upset at FoxNews for telling the truth.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
If that's all your lib brain can think it is, sure. It justifies use of deadly force for self defense. It doesn't allow for people to go out and murder at will. There are several states with the same laws and many more thinking about adding them. No one can hide behind these laws and use it for justification of murder. If that is the case here, you will see Z being prosecuted.

Many more?? Oh you mean Republican's bought off by the NRA,ALEC and the Koch bros! Wonderful!

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
All people want is for George Zimmerman put on trial just like anyone else would be if they shot someone.

If there is enough evidence to suggest that a crime was committed, then he will stand trial. That's what the authorities are doing at this point, trying to figure out if there is enough evidence to even charge / try him. What the mob justice seekers want is for him to be put on trial regardless of what the evidence shows, why follow that pesky legal process when you can just put him in jail based on a media trial with celebrity jurors (including a president!)?

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Foxnews came out with a biased and f'ed up analysis of the audio recording where some tard with software only got a 35-40% match with Zimmerman's voice.

Then if you think they're still in the bag for Zimmerman you must not have seen Geraldo.

Actually I did watch that last night and was surprised. But Geraldo is not one of their "big ratings" shows and is much less rabid right than Hannity, and it's on Sunday night. The new evidence is pretty damaging to Z's claims and to ignore it would be bad for them. I'm plannig on watching Hannity tonight and see how he handles it.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Actually I did watch that last night and was surprised. But Geraldo is not one of their "big ratings" shows and is much less rabid right than Hannity, and it's on Sunday night. The new evidence is pretty damaging to Z's claims and to ignore it would be bad for them. I'm plannig on watching Hannity tonight and see how he handles it.

How can you watch that Moran without projectile vomiting?

;)

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Geraldo is a rabid lefty, but even more importantly he refuses to credit anything bad to Hispanics. Had Martin been Latino and Zimmerman black, Geraldo would be calling for the chair.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Defend it ? Hell, I'll champion it, I wish we had that law in my State. You must hate the idea of a woman being able to defend herself from a murderer.

The woman who defended herself from the John in that story used the victim's own gun....
He brought it and got shot his bad luck.

You must love twisting people's words. You're just the type to champion the law like a rabid lemming.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
You are cross posting this, yet your own links show you are not telling the truth. Why do you post what is already shown to be a lie by your own links?

It's relevant to both threads.

There was a verbal argument in the story. No one can prove anything else. The shooter of Mr. Rosenbloom would've had the burden of proof of the shooting victim forcing his way into the house.... Without SYG the proof would've been the evidence of attempted forced entry before Mr. Rosenbloom was shot.

Rabid Lemming just like Mono.

No insults or personal attacks.

Perknose
Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

Icepick

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
don't forget the state congressmen who signed it into law. They were just doing what the people of their state elected them to do. If it was such a bad law, those people would have been replaced and so would the law.

^^ lol! ^^

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
It's relevant to both threads.

There was a verbal argument in the story. No one can prove anything else. The shooter of Mr. Rosenbloom would've had the burden of proof of the shooting victim forcing his way into the house.... Without SYG the proof would've been the evidence of attempted forced entry before Mr. Rosenbloom was shot.

Rabid Lemming just like Mono.

You showed that the shooter said the shootee tried to force entry. The legal system accepted this statement as the one which corresponded with reality. You then say none of that matters and your personal view is the only one that matters and are mad when others laugh at you for it.

I would get used to being laughed at if that is the way you roll.

Nov 29, 2006
Back to the topic:

We have FoxNews telling the truth and people are upset by it. No one cares to explain why they are upset at FoxNews for telling the truth.

It's probably because its the first time and they are still in shock as to how to react to said truth :p

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
It's probably because its the first time and they are still in shock as to how to react to said truth :p

:D I think it is more likely they have not yet been told how to think in this instance, so they fall back on what they have been told to think in the past, which is to always hate FoxNews. Foxnews could report that a hurricane is forming in the Atlantic (complete with satellite imagery) and they would claim it is a lie.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
You showed that the shooter said the shootee tried to force entry. The legal system accepted this statement as the one which corresponded with reality. You then say none of that matters and your personal view is the only one that matters and are mad when others laugh at you for it.

I would get used to being laughed at if that is the way you roll.

The shooter and shooting victim have differing stories of what happened. How surprising...
We already know that prosecutors of the SYG law are critical of the law along with at least one professor questioning the wisdom of the SYG law as writeen.

“As a matter of policy, I don’t think most criminal defense lawyers think it’s a very wise statute,” said Robert Batey, a professor at the Stetson University College of Law in St. Peterburg, Florida, speaking about the state’s Castle Doctrine law. “But I’m sure they’re happy to have another argument to make.”

It's because SYG makes claiming self-defense after a shooting so easy if there are no other witnesses other than.
Without stand your ground the shooter would've went inside as before and if Mr. Rosenbloom tried to break in... over a shouting mouth about garbage mind you then the shooter definitely would've been justified. Mr. Rosenbloom says he wasn't near the door the shooter says he's trying to get in. Given that we only have proof of a shouting match which is something both the shooter and the victim agree on.

If it's people like you doing the laughing then hell I welcome it. Because you can't even see the irony...