Who will be the Democratic nominee for President at the 2024 General Election?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
That would be the smart move, but Trump has never been known to be overly intelligent. I just don't know that Trump is capable of watching someone else in the spotlight and not trying to tear them down, or at a minimum make it all about him. Trump's support is too treacherous to be relied on, one bad day in which he loses a court case and Trump might spend an entire rally mumbling about how the Republican's can't be trusted, that every Republican is a RINO because the Judges he paid for are not siding with him. Biggerest hoax in the history of mankind! It is so Biggerer you would not believe it. All to bring him down.
I think Trump has an extremely well developed sense of self preservation but you're right that having someone else in the spotlight would probably present a major challenge to Trump's various mental illnesses.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
It is hard for powerful successful people to see they don’t matter because of so much contrary evidence, but if anybody can do it, I think Biden is a good candidate. He may choose not to run but will if it looks like only he among democrats will win. Sadly, I have never liked his VP choice. I also am not inspired by The governor of CA.

If not Biden, I’d prefer Katie Porter and Pete Buttigieg.

The Biden senile stuff is horse shit in my opinion.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
With Biden already clearly suffering from dementia, it is obvious he won't be in any fit state to contest the next Presidential election, so that rules him out and normally the Vice President would be in the box seat to be the Presidential candidate, but Kamala Harris is astonishingly inept and about as popular as Monkey Pox, so we get the crazy situation where the party in power, is almost certainly going to have a full on Primary Contest to pick their candidate.

Who would you see as the leading candidate to emerge?

I suspect that California Governor Gavin Newsom would be a strong possibility.

Surely Hillary won't try again.

If Andrew Cuomo hadn't been exposed for being a sexual harassment champion, he likely would have been a strong contender too.

Who do you see as a strong prospect of leading the Democrats into the 2024 election?

Tell me, have you watched the entire 60 minutes interview?

I'll bet you haven't watched Biden at all and just watch blooper clips and manipulated videos from right-wing echo chambers.

Biden makes Trump sound absolutely retarded. He is clear, concise and on target with all the pointed questions.

Watch ALL 25 minutes and get back to me.

Now compare that with this train wreck of an interview where an absolutely clueless Trump cannot understand the difference between total numbers, and per-capita numbers and why they cannot be interchangeable.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2005
Wouldn't it be so interesting to have Liz Cheney run as a Democrat for Vice Prez. if only to draw away the moderates and independents that are totally fed up with Trump and his mob making a laughing stock of that once proud party of theirs.
Who thinks this is a good idea? Cheney is an arch conservative on everything except licking Trump boots.

Reactions: Lezunto

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Who here bets the chances are better than average the OP also:

Thinks the election was stolen/fraudulent.
Thinks COVID-19 was fake/overhyped/planned.
Thinks COVID-19 vaccines are killing people.
Thinks precious metals are a good investment for the imminent collapse of the global economy.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
People tend to equate linguistic facility with intelligence and general confidence, but I believe there is a huge range of intelligences people not particularly language gifted people can have. I think also that various faculties can remain dormant if not cultivated, such that the degree that one applies oneself to them the more by way of capacity can express.

Then there is the matter of high intelligence expressing itself to bigots who are looking only for conformational bias of whatever direction the stupidity of their bias was trained to seek. They will hear what they want to hear.

Reactions: Roger Wilco

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
If not Biden, I’d prefer Katie Porter and Pete Buttigieg.

The Biden senile stuff is horse shit in my opinion.

Those two intellects are a team I would support in a heartbeat.

Biden's stutter and the occasional senior moment aren't problems for me, not if they come with a list of accomplishments like his.

Trump's dementia, addiction to Adderall, extraordinarily low IQ and malignant narcissism are all quite real, unfortunately. As if being a Russian asset wasn't already dangerous enough for the country. What were Trump's accomplishments? Tax cut for the billionaires, 1million+ Americans dead from covid19, being impeached twice, ruining the SCOTUS, committing acts of treason and criminality too numerous to list here.

I almost don't care who the Dems go with. Sadly, they are the only actual political party in the race, one with a plan no less, so they get my vote by default. Voting for a christofascist white supremacist movement with no solutions only hate is not an option. May the GQP get flushed from office like the absolute shit it is.

Last edited:

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
I thought Biden was too old to be elected in the first place. I'm now officially a senior myself so I feel I can say that :)

I wish Presidents were thought of as administrators and not heros, their primary quality should be to be able to hire good people. But unfortunately the American public demands they be a hero.

He's miles better than Trump or Desantis--or really any candidate the modern GOP will shit out-- but ideally there's be a younger firebrand Biden could hand off to. But if old Joe is the guy I'll be there first thing to vote for him, because again the alternatives suck donkey balls. I've never had any problem choosing lesser evil, we all do it in life every day (not that Joe is evil, just a saying!)

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I think the Democrats need more white male billionaires to be electable. Maybe George Soros can get around that whole foreign born disqualification? If not, then my money’s on Bloomberg, Steyer, Cuban, Gates, or that Starbucks guy (Schultz?)

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Who thinks this is a good idea? Cheney is an arch conservative on everything except licking Trump boots.

As VP she would have no say or the power to make policy decisions, well, unless the Senate is split 50/50 as with Harris being the tie breaker. Might make a hilarious go-between for negotiating with the Repubs, but mostly my thoughts were revolving around how it would piss off the Repubs to no end to have her in that seat, like Gorsuch being picked as AG by Biden.

Anyway, I wasn't actually serious about the idea of her being a possible VP Dem candidate. It was more of a passing fancy tongue-in-cheek musing of mine.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I'm still hoping mayor Pete can break through with non-white voters because I really want him to win but he can't without them.

CHADBOGA

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2009
Who here bets the chances are better than average the OP also:

Thinks the election was stolen/fraudulent.
Thinks COVID-19 was fake/overhyped/planned.
Thinks COVID-19 vaccines are killing people.
Thinks precious metals are a good investment for the imminent collapse of the global economy.
Who here bets the chances are better than average that you are a big fan of Drag Queen story hour?

We do not tolerate homophobic slurs here.

Perknose
Forum Director

I'm still hoping mayor Pete can break through with non-white voters because I really want him to win but he can't without them.
He needs to stop reminding cat lovers that he looks like a mouse.

Last edited by a moderator:

CHADBOGA

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2009
Whilst there is some contention in this thread on whether Biden should run again due to health issues, I'm surprised in such a pro-Democratic audience, no one is singing the praises of Kamala Harris?

Biden may well hand over to her before his term ends, making her the incumbent President, but even in those circumstances I don't think she will be the candidate in 2024.

Does anyone here think that either Kamala Harris will be the Dems candidate in 2024 or that this would work out well for them if she was?

• Haha
Reactions: iRONic

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Who here bets the chances are better than average that you are a big fan of Drag Queen story hour?

It’s funny how easy it is to see you consume a lot of right wing media. Why? They have nothing but contempt for you.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Whilst there is some contention in this thread on whether Biden should run again due to health issues, I'm surprised in such a pro-Democratic audience, no one is singing the praises of Kamala Harris?

Biden may well hand over to her before his term ends, making her the incumbent President, but even in those circumstances I don't think she will be the candidate in 2024.

Does anyone here think that either Kamala Harris will be the Dems candidate in 2024 or that this would work out well for them if she was?
He won’t hand it over to her, this is conservative media brain worms at work again.

You aren’t living in reality so of course all of this is confusing to you.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Like in the West Wing, the Jimmy Smits character was the president elect. His VP running mate died on election night. He contemplated asking his R opponent as VP. Ah TV. Fiction too hard to believe, actual bipartisanship!!!

CHADBOGA

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2009
He won’t hand it over to her, this is conservative media brain worms at work again.

You aren’t living in reality so of course all of this is confusing to you.
Sure Jan.gif

No written commentary, a prerequisite for P&N.

Perknose
Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

I take that as a yes? Wow, you truly are a mindless parrot.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
As long as Biden is putting together mostly-complete sentences in 2024, I don't see him walking away from a second term.

Biden has shown that he is still there mentally, nevermind the projection from right-wing authoritarians. And even if Biden has old-age brain because he's fucking old, the fact that he is appointing competent people for positions is enough to show that he and his Chief-of-Staff are up to the job.

If I got to pick someone else to be the 2024 nominee, it'd have to be someone from outside politics who would have a shot in hell of grabbing younger voters who might vote for Trump, DeSantis, Cotton, Hawley, etc...like Jon Stewart, although he has mentioned that he isn't interested.

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
Well, the truth is that both Democrats and Republicans owe it to this country to come up with better, younger presidential candidates in 2024.

It is absolutely absurd to think that our only two choices might be old men over 75 years of age! God knows I wouldn't trust my health to a doctor that old, or for that matter an Uber driver that old. FWIW I am myself a "senior citizen".

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Well, the truth is that both Democrats and Republicans owe it to this country to come up with better, younger presidential candidates in 2024.

It is absolutely absurd to think that our only two choices might be old men over 75 years of age! God knows I wouldn't trust my health to a doctor that old, or for that matter an Uber driver that old. FWIW I am myself a "senior citizen".

So who would you like to see?