White House to Push Gun Control

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
If this law only bans 30 round mags for pistols I wouldn't care too much. 30 round mags in pistols are innefective and jam prone. Its the fact that they will also attack rifle mags that pisses me off.

Does that piss you off too? Or do you not give a fuck since its not your bull being gored?

Rifle mags, pistol mags, makes no difference. Give me one educated reason a person (in home defense or otherwise) would need a high capacity mag. If you need that many shells, I suggest you need to get out to the range more often as you can't shoot for shit.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
like I have been telling neckarb since he has shown up, he is not American so he doesn't understand. Hell if he was French he would get it, but sadly he's from the British Isles.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Rifle mags, pistol mags, makes no difference. Give me one educated reason a person (in home defense or otherwise) would need a high capacity mag. If you need that many shells, I suggest you need to get out to the range more often as you can't shoot for shit.

give me one reason they wouldn't? you can't because it's all conjecture, so by logic you should err on the side of liberty which is for people to own what they want, innocent until proven guilty etc etc etc. Unless you think everyone owning a gun is going to shoot you, then you're more paranoid than the people you're saying are paranoid for needing 30rnd fully automatic weapons.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
No I just dislike the idea of living in a town where every other person has a gun in their pocket! The very notion is insane, and if disarming law abiding citizens will in the short term cost lives, but in the long term remove guns from the streets, then it's a necessary evil.

It baffles me than americans see gun ownership as a right, and I'm so glad that people in my country see that life without the need to be armed is better.

I quite like the idea of living in a town where every other person has a gun in their pocket. Having been to events with thousands of people wearing guns on their hips, I've never felt safer.

By contrast, coming back from Afghanistan and being around large crowds of unarmed Americans made me extremely uncomfortable. I couldn't help but feel they were making themselves targets by not being armed.

I think peoples' problem with you is that you're not willing to accept that America can do do whatever American's want it to. You be you and we'll be us. When the news runs a story about a Brit being sentenced to prison for defending his home with a frying pan, we'll poke fun at you. When some nut ball shoots up a kindergarten and kills 8 people, you'll poke fun at us. Why not appreciate those differences rather than rail against them?

Oh, I just got one of these in the mail the other day. I carry it around in my pocket every day. I've already savagely assaulted the tape on 3 different boxes with it. ;)

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
give me one reason they wouldn't? you can't because it's all conjecture, so by logic you should err on the side of liberty which is for people to own what they want, innocent until proven guilty etc etc etc. Unless you think everyone owning a gun is going to shoot you, then you're more paranoid than the people you're saying are paranoid for needing 30rnd fully automatic weapons.

I have to ask, why do you guys need automatic weapons, lets just take as red for now that america wants it's guns, fine, but I can see the argument that you want to defend your self, but do you guys need something automatic for that? I don't think so. Do you guys need them for hunting? That's not good hunting. So what's it all about?

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
I quite like the idea of living in a town where every other person has a gun in their pocket. Having been to events with thousands of people wearing guns on their hips, I've never felt safer.

By contrast, coming back from Afghanistan and being around large crowds of unarmed Americans made me extremely uncomfortable. I couldn't help but feel they were making themselves targets by not being armed.

I think peoples' problem with you is that you're not willing to accept that America can do do whatever American's want it to. You be you and we'll be us. When the news runs a story about a Brit being sentenced to prison for defending his home with a frying pan, we'll poke fun at you. When some nut ball shoots up a kindergarten and kills 8 people, you'll poke fun at us. Why not appreciate those differences rather than rail against them?

Oh, I just got one of these in the mail the other day. I carry it around in my pocket every day. I've already savagely assaulted the tape on 3 different boxes with it. ;)

I just feel huge pity for a country where this is the mindset, where in the modern world you cant feel safe in your own town without a gun, it's insane to me, I feel safe every minute because I know the chances of anyone carrying a gun near me is so slim, i'm just sorry that your police and government have failed you so severely, I suppose I want you guys to improve your country so that it's not necessary, so you can feel safe without a gun, so that people who don't carry a gun, like children can feel safer!

Edit: That's a nice knife.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002

Give me a reason why not? You are in favor of eroding away constitutional rights just because you are anti-gun and do not agree with it. Do you know how dangerous that is? Would you be as fervent in limiting free speech? Somehow I doubt it. So go sit down and think about what you are advocating for a bit before you open your mouth spouting off about how I "need to give you reasons" why I need my constitutional rights.

People like you piss me off. You just sit back and are A-ok with taking away other people's rights just because you do not agree with it. I dont agree with you being able to speak, yet you dont see me out there trying to ban you from talking.

Hell, I bet you personally are ok with going farther. How would you feel about an all-out pistol ban? How would you feel about banning rifles with barrels less than 20 inches? How about shotgun magazine extension tubes? How about an all-out ban? What do you want, being an anti-constitution lefty?

Last edited:

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

Because it allows me to engage multiple targets without the need to reload? Why did the Army change from M1 Garands to the M16? Couldn't soldiers have just gone to the range a little bit more often?

Besides, this is a "foot in the door" gun control tactic. So you ban all magazines in excess of 10 rounds. Then this guy guys on a shooting spree. Then you decide that we need to ban all semi-automatics. And heck, pump actions that hold more than a couple rounds. And then bam, we're right where England is. You've got goons using single shot AR-15s on the range. Why do you want America to look silly?

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I challenged him with the fact that he'd support laws that would deny his neighbors their right to self defense, indirectly killing them in the process; and that he didn't want to trust his neighbors, he wanted them on a leash. The quote in my sig was his response.

Sadly this is how most americans think too.

They want to do what they want yet have everyone else limited.

I get really heated in discussions along these lines out and about.

The biggest is those that have monster SUV/Trucks and start talking they want to limit others in them.

It always comes down to 'well I need a big truck because [ I go to home depot | I have two kids and a dog | I may need to go off road]" etc. or guns "I don't think others should own guns because [ they may endanger me one day | they don't have proper training ]"

There are other ones as well, but the truck one comes up a lot around here along with guns...sorry your two kids and your fucking maltese can fit in any sedan just fine, and your two hours gun safety class is not proper training.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Give me a reason why not? You are in favor of eroding away constitutional rights just because you are anti-gun and do not agree with it. Do you know how dangerous that is? Would you be as fervent in limiting free speech? Somehow I doubt it. So go sit down and think about what you are advocating for a bit before you open your mouth spouting off about how I "need to give you reasons" why I need my constitutional rights.

People like you piss me off. You just sit back and are A-ok with taking away other people's rights just because you do not agree with it. I dont agree with you being able to speak, yet you dont see me out there trying to ban you from talking.

Perfect reason for why not was the Arizona killings. I see all the gun nuts posting that the reason he was stopped was because the mag jammed. I have seen nothing in "official reports" to support this. Please provide a link if you beleive this to be true.

Also, I don't want to take your guns (or mine), I just think there has to be constraint. No one I know goes hunting with an AK-47.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Bathtubs != Weapons.

Bathtubs != Guns

Bathtubs were not designed to kill

Bathtubs were meant for another purpose other than death

Next?

for some bathtubs were made for disposing of those they used their guns on though, if we eliminated the method to get rid of the evidence wouldn't that stop the violence?

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I just feel huge pity for a country where this is the mindset, where in the modern world you cant feel safe in your own town without a gun, it's insane to me, I feel safe every minute because I know the chances of anyone carrying a gun near me is so slim, i'm just sorry that your police and government have failed you so severely, I suppose I want you guys to improve your country so that it's not necessary, so you can feel safe without a gun, so that people who don't carry a gun, like children can feel safer!

Edit: That's a nice knife.

I hate to shatter your sense of security, but anyone that wants to can obtain and carry a gun in the UK. When I vacationed there with a large work group in the early 2000s I was able to obtain a Sig 228, 2 (high capacity!!!!) 13rd magazines and some sort of jacketed hollow point ammunition, along with a decent enough leather inside the waistband holster within 30 minutes of debarking @ Heathrow. Carried it with me for the entire trip without incident and returned it before I departed. And I was a relatively unconnected foreigner!

Our police aren't legally required to protect us. The courts have made that clear. So they haven't really failed. Their job is to investigate crimes and apprehend offenders after crimes are committed.

I find it economically more feasible and morally more desirable to have every other citizen on the street carrying a handgun as opposed to having a police officer every other block.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Perfect reason for why not was the Arizona killings. I see all the gun nuts posting that the reason he was stopped was because the mag jammed. I have seen nothing in "official reports" to support this. Please provide a link if you beleive this to be true.

Also, I don't want to take your guns (or mine), I just think there has to be constraint. No one I know goes hunting with an AK-47.

I grew up hunting with a short barreled, light weight AR-10.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I grew up hunting with a short barreled, light weight AR-10.

That short barrel probably was a godsend right? :roll:

Hopefully you were targetting within 50 yards or less, but I am betting you were going for long shots with that scope.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
That short barrel probably was a godsend right? :roll:

Hopefully you were targetting within 50 yards or less, but I am betting you were going for long shots with that scope.

Not my actual rifle, just a pic from the internet. My dad has that rifle.

The short barrel was just to make it lighter for us kids to use, it was a 16". But lulz if you think even a 10" barrel AR-10 couldn't maintain at least 1.5" MOA. The biggest concern is fireball, particularly at night, so a flash suppressor is necessary.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Mainly shotguns for me, mostly pheasant hunting, though lately I've been trying bow hunting for deer, Much tougher and more sporting IMO.

I don't hunt at all now. I don't really find it sporting at all, short of the people that bow hunt for bears. I haven't been hunting since I was 12 years old.

Consequently, I don't have any deer rifles, or bird guns. All my guns are for two legged critters.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
Perfect reason for why not was the Arizona killings.

Yeah, this would have prevented it! LOL. Why not go to the root of the cause, which is how he was able to obtain a gun.

I see all the gun nuts posting that the reason he was stopped was because the mag jammed. I have seen nothing in "official reports" to support this. Please provide a link if you beleive this to be true.

Quick google search yields several pages saying this

"Loughner allegedly fired all 31 bullets in the magazine and was reloading when a woman in the crowd, already wounded, attempted to grab the gun from him. He finally changed the magazine and tried to fire, authorities said, but the gun jammed. "

http://www.citystatetimes.com/4656/arizona-shooting-culprirt-jared-lee-loughner-charged/

Why do you think 30 round pistol mags are extremely uncommon? Is it because they work well and are efficient? lol...

Lots of people hunt with an AK-47. It fires a solid intermediate cartridge that works well on deer. Are you scared of a semi-automatic rifle firing a middle-of-the-road cartridge?

unfounded fear?

Again, you have NO BASIS for wanting to erode my Constitutional RIGHTS, and then telling me I need to "prove" why I need my rights. Piss off

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
I hate to shatter your sense of security, but anyone that wants to can obtain and carry a gun in the UK. When I vacationed there with a large work group in the early 2000s I was able to obtain a Sig 228, 2 (high capacity!!!!) 13rd magazines and some sort of jacketed hollow point ammunition, along with a decent enough leather inside the waistband holster within 30 minutes of debarking @ Heathrow. Carried it with me for the entire trip without incident and returned it before I departed. And I was a relatively unconnected foreigner!

Our police aren't legally required to protect us. The courts have made that clear. So they haven't really failed. Their job is to investigate crimes and apprehend offenders after crimes are committed.

I find it economically more feasible and morally more desirable to have every other citizen on the street carrying a handgun as opposed to having a police officer every other block.

That doesn't shatter anything it makes you a criminal and an idiot there aren't that many around my area, and those that are end up in prison.

Also I can't remember the last time I heard about someone getting killed or even shot by an illegal handgun in the UK.

I thought I was "to protect and serve"

Last edited:

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Yeah, this would have prevented it! LOL. Why not go to the root of the cause, which is how he was able to obtain a gun.

Quick google search yields several pages saying this

"Loughner allegedly fired all 31 bullets in the magazine and was reloading when a woman in the crowd, already wounded, attempted to grab the gun from him. He finally changed the magazine and tried to fire, authorities said, but the gun jammed. "

http://www.citystatetimes.com/4656/arizona-shooting-culprirt-jared-lee-loughner-charged/

Why do you think 30 round pistol mags are extremely uncommon? Is it because they work well and are efficient? lol...

Lots of people hunt with an AK-47. It fires a solid intermediate cartridge that works well on deer. Are you scared of a semi-automatic rifle firing a middle-of-the-road cartridge?

unfounded fear?

Why would you want a high capacity mag if they are prone to jamming?

I'd rather have reliability over capacity.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
Why would you want a high capacity mag if they are prone to jamming?

I'd rather have reliability over capacity.

You dont read well, do you. High cap mags in pistols are stupid, as they do jam a lot (although that still doesn't give you any right to ban them)

Rifles are a different ball-game.

M14.jpg

Why is this absurd to you? Why does this NEED to be banned? Is there a crime-wave that I am not in the loop about where people are running around with rifles with magazines over 10 and murdering lots of people? Last I checked the VAST MAJORITY of gun crime is with cheap shitty revolvers or pocket pistols.

Explain to me why the above has got to be banned.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
No it didn't was I arguing that my votes count more than yours do... I must have missed that.

That's because your Government didn't/doesn't allow you to vote on the EU Referendum, but keep on commenting about the laws in the U.S. I think it's pretty funny.