White House to Push Gun Control

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I thought I was "to protect and serve"

The courts ruled that the police have no duty to protect individual people. They can't be held accountable for failing to protect someone. They can't be held accountable for not responding to calls.

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
The courts ruled that the police have no duty to protect individual people. They can't be held accountable for failing to protect someone. They can't be held accountable for not responding to calls.

Wow.

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
Because I have a constitutional right to own one. Its purposes are none of your business.

Your turn. Why does that rifle offend you?

This pisses me off the idea that "I have the right to have one" therefore i need one. It's retarded, just because in the 18th century some guys made a list of things they wanted, doesn't mean that you have some god given right to own something, it's an outdated document that needs updating.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
Broken. You only have the legal right based on something written in the 18th century, it's absurd. That "right" was written before these weapons were invented.

Why dont you have an issue with TV or the internet? The 1st amendment was written before those. Should we scrap that one too?

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
Sorry what's that one?

Free speech. But back then there was only newspaper. Radio, TV, and the internet were never imagined. The founders would never have wanted free speech on the internet!

re-do 1st amendment IMO. Its outdated

:rolleyes:

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
No I just dislike the idea of living in a town where every other person has a gun in their pocket! The very notion is insane, and if disarming law abiding citizens will in the short term cost lives, but in the long term remove guns from the streets, then it's a necessary evil.

Removing innocent law abiding peoples ability to protect themselves which would result in more women being raped, more people being murdered, more being robbed/mugged/burglarized is a "necessary evil" to make you feel more comfortable? The facts say that will be the only good thing that comes from it. Are you really that much of a selfish coward to force people to endure that simply for your own comfort?

I am not sure why I continue to debate you. You flat out refuse to acknowledge facts and instead base your argument on your personal "comfort level".

It baffles me than americans see gun ownership as a right, and I'm so glad that people in my country see that life without the need to be armed is better.

Ironically you guys sorta played a part in why we have that right.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
I just feel huge pity for a country where this is the mindset, where in the modern world you cant feel safe in your own town without a gun, it's insane to me, I feel safe every minute because I know the chances of anyone carrying a gun near me is so slim, i'm just sorry that your police and government have failed you so severely, I suppose I want you guys to improve your country so that it's not necessary, so you can feel safe without a gun, so that people who don't carry a gun, like children can feel safer!

Edit: That's a nice knife.

Therein lies the difference between us and you Brits.

We pity you because you live in a country in which your own government doesn't trust you enough to allow you to own guns. We pity you because truly fear guns in law abiding citizens hands whereas we trust fellow law abiding citizens (and the facts show the trust is well placed). We pity any person that must rely on some government agency to provide their and their families day to day protection including inside their own homes!

You pity us, we pity you, we are ok with the stuff you pity us for, you are ok with the stuff we pity you for, sounds like that is just the way its going to be.

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
Free speech. But back then there was only newspaper. Radio, TV, and the internet were never imagined. The founders would never have wanted free speech on the internet!

re-do 1st amendment IMO. Its outdated

Speech is speech, all speech is the same, all guns aren't. :rolleyes:

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
Therein lies the difference between us and you Brits.

We pity you because you live in a country in which your own government doesn't trust you enough to allow you to own guns. We pity you because truly fear guns in law abiding citizens hands whereas we trust fellow law abiding citizens (and the facts show the trust is well placed). We pity any person that must rely on some government agency to provide their and their families day to day protection including inside their own homes!

You pity us, we pity you, we are ok with the stuff you pity us for, you are ok with the stuff we pity you for, sounds like that is just the way its going to be.

No you've got that wrong, we don't fear guns, we don't need guns, we pity you for the fact that your government is so incompetent that you need a gun to protect you.

Every man for himself can also be expressed as chaos.

Also it's not brits that feel this way, it's the English, there are places in britain where guns are legal...

Last edited:

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Sorry what's that one?

First Amendment:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
No you've got that wrong, we don't fear guns, we don't need guns, we pity you for the fact that your government is so incompetent that you need a gun to protect you.

You just stated that you would not be comfortable in a town in which every other law abiding citizen had a gun even though factual data shows that they pose no real danger to you. That is fear my friend.

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
Removing innocent law abiding peoples ability to protect themselves which would result in more women being raped, more people being murdered, more being robbed/mugged/burglarized is a "necessary evil" to make you feel more comfortable? The facts say that will be the only good thing that comes from it. Are you really that much of a selfish coward to force people to endure that simply for your own comfort?

I am not sure why I continue to debate you. You flat out refuse to acknowledge facts and instead base your argument on your personal "comfort level".

Ironically you guys sorta played a part in why we have that right.
If you read back I accepted that you guys need guns, big ones, because you haven't yet set up a competent government or police system, your country is relatively new and naive that's why you're at where your at. You guys need guns because your country can't defend it's citizens with the legal systems put in place, I understand that now, if I lived in the US I'd be armed to the teeth.

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
You just stated that you would not be comfortable in a town in which every other law abiding citizen had a gun even though factual data shows that they pose no real danger to you. That is fear my friend.

I'm not afraid of them, I'm afraid of the fact that they need guns, if everyone needs a gun then theres a massive problem, that's where the fear comes from my friend. That and I've seen what your law abiding citizens get up to in the news!

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
This pisses me off the idea that "I have the right to have one" therefore i need one. It's retarded, just because in the 18th century some guys made a list of things they wanted, doesn't mean that you have some god given right to own something, it's an outdated document that needs updating.

Again, you have proven you know little about that document yet you have already came to the conclusion that it needs updating.

Lets play, other than the 2nd amendment (that would be the gun one), exactly what needs to be updated?

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
Again, you have proven you know little about that document yet you have already came to the conclusion that it needs updating.

Lets play, other than the 2nd amendment (that would be the gun one), exactly what needs to be updated?

No idea haven't read it. But if it says something along the lines of "Every citizen has the right to bear arms" <---- That.