White House to Push Gun Control

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Brigandier

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2008
Deluded? Really?

So if one follows these morals found in the bible, they must be deluded:

Do unto others as you wish them to do unto you.
Do not rape or murder.
Do not lie.
Do not steal or trade dishonestly.
Be content, do not be jealous of what your neighbor has.
Honor your father and mother.
Work hard 6 days and rest the 7th.
fogive those who wrong you, and do not hold grudges.
Care for the sick and poor.
Pay your taxes willingly.

Guess were all horrible people for following these morals.

No, you're deluded because you trust humans to pass down wisdom of god. If there was a god, and he depended on humans to pass his divine wisdom; it'd be so warped by the time it got to you that'd you be doing the devil's work by following what was said.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2007
one does not have to be a christian to follow the moral code found in the bible... most of the laws in our country and yours are based on its teachings.

No, they really are not.

You can't just take the good values in the bible, that come from much earlier teachings, and disregard all the horrible shit that is in that book and claim that "this is Christian morality".

Neither Britain or the US laws of today have anything to do with Christian morality and back in the day when they were we burned women alive and tortured people.

The Christian moral code has adapted to the laws set by society though, just as the churches and it's various teachings have had to adapt, well except for the WBC and JW but those are more extreme cults than actual churches.

Do you actually believe that you could call a society that based current laws on the bible a moral one?

Jun 26, 2007
Deluded? Really?

So if one follows these morals found in the bible, they must be deluded:

Do unto others as you wish them to do unto you.
Do not rape or murder.
Do not lie.
Do not steal or trade dishonestly.
Be content, do not be jealous of what your neighbor has.
Honor your father and mother.
Work hard 6 days and rest the 7th.
fogive those who wrong you, and do not hold grudges.
Care for the sick and poor.
Pay your taxes willingly.

Guess were all horrible people for following these morals.

The first one is the only one needed and it predates both Christianity and Judaism, it's known as the Golden Rule and like everything else in Christianity (holidays, numbers, the creation story, you name it) it was stolen from what came before it.

The rest are some of the good in the Bible, most horrible shit that directly contradicts that first one you conveniently left out...

HONOR thine father and mother, but only in Judaism, in Christianity according to the translated new testament (which supposedly is god given since god wouldn't allow mistranslations, it's the one he wanted you to have according to some), you should hate your mother and father instead. You also failed to mention that the punishment for not honoring your father and mother is death by stoning, if you are going to go by the commandment of the old testament, you should acknowledge the punishment for failing to follow it from the old testament.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Republicans now control the House, it's up to them to "create" jobs.

Beside, don't you righties always claim the gov't can't "create" jobs?

As to the other subject, even "Dead Eye" Cheney said recently that the extended mags should be banned. Damned Commie Liberal!

Its Obama's job not to lose jobs. By using his czars to overregulate, he is losing thousands of jobs per day, millions per year. No matter how hard the private sector tries, Obama taxes them to death, then gives that money to lazy people who aren't working(social security+unemployment)! What kind of system is that? Giving FREE money to people who aren't being productive. Its called communism.

Brigandier

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2008
Its Obama's job not to lose jobs. By using his czars to overregulate, he is losing thousands of jobs per day, millions per year. No matter how hard the private sector tries, Obama taxes them to death, then gives that money to lazy people who aren't working(social security+unemployment)! What kind of system is that? Giving FREE money to people who aren't being productive. Its called communism.

That's not what is happening though.

Brigandier

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2008
Gun control. Who loses? People who sell guns. People who make guns. Firing ranges. More regulation=less freedom=lost jobs.

I know this, but that isn't why Obama does things.

Obama does things because we have lost jobs, we have lost lives, and we need more lives and jobs. I understand the differences, but I also hate when people mischaracterize the other side. He's doing these things so we can be safe and make jobs, as wrong as he me be. It's no different than the what any other government does anything with the money it gets, and the money it will get. The problem is with what happens when you feed the government animal.

Jun 26, 2007
Gun control. Who loses? People who sell guns. People who make guns. Firing ranges. More regulation=less freedom=lost jobs.

Things are regulated, that goes for ALL things, in fact, shit is more regulated in the US than anywhere else i know of, except guns.

Can't buy a kinder egg for your kid but you can buy a firarm and leave it loaded in the open without having to worry about it...

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Things are regulated, that goes for ALL things, in fact, shit is more regulated in the US than anywhere else i know of, except guns.

Can't buy a kinder egg for your kid but you can buy a firarm and leave it loaded in the open without having to worry about it...

As opposed to Australia where you can't even play the uncensored version of Left4Dead 2 because killing virtual zombies in a gory fashion has been deemed by the powers that be to be unsuitable for public consumption?

Or the UK, where even possessing pepper spray will get you jail time?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

Huh? I see Kinder Eggs for sale - including for kids - and there are laws against endangering kids leaving loaded guns lying around.

The US does have ridiculously under-regulated guns, but those examples are wrong in trying to prove it.

The gun store that over 500 AK-47s to Mexican Cartels - and the lack of any need to even report the sale of such rifles - that's under-regulation.

President Felipe Calderón has characterized the stream of smuggled weapons as one of the most significant threats to security in his country. The Mexican authorities say they seized 20,000 weapons from drug gangs in 2008, the majority bought in the United States.

The authorities in the United States say they do not know how many firearms are transported across the border each year, in part because the federal government does not track gun sales and traces only weapons used in crimes. But A.T.F. officials estimate 90 percent of the weapons recovered in Mexico come from dealers north of the border.

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
Your opinion matters to you, I'm sure my Senators and Congressman don't give a shit about your opinion on US gun laws. They all support the 2nd amendment of the US Constitution.

It's a good thing that i'm not talking to your congressman then... I'm debating in a forum.... Where anyones opinion is of equal value wherever they are from. When I start trying to vote in america then complain. :rolleyes:

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010

Oh! And the 1000 or so people who accidentally got shot every year. I guess they'd win actually.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
Huh? I see Kinder Eggs for sale - including for kids - and there are laws against endangering kids leaving loaded guns lying around.

The US does have ridiculously under-regulated guns, but those examples are wrong in trying to prove it.

The gun store that over 500 AK-47s to Mexican Cartels - and the lack of any need to even report the sale of such rifles - that's under-regulation.

Myth: The United States is the source of 90% of drug syndicate guns in Mexico

Fact: This is an often misquoted data point from the BATFE, who said 90% of the firearms that have been interdicted in transport to Mexico or recovered in Mexico came from the United States. Thus the 90% number includes only the firearms American and Mexican police stop in transport.70

Fact: The original number was derived from the number of firearms successfully traced, not the total number of firearms. For 2007-2008, Mexican officials recovered approximately 29,000 firearms from crime scenes and asked for BATFE traces of 11,000. Of those, the BATFE could trace roughly 6,000 of which 5,114 were confirmed to have come from the United States. Thus, 83% of the crime guns recovered in Mexico have not been or cannot be traced to America.71

Fact: Mexican drug syndicates can buy guns anywhere. For the relatively underpowered civilian rifles coming from the United States, drug runners would pay between 300% and 400% above the market price. Thus they can and are buying guns around the world.72

Fact: Mexican drug cartels – with a $40 billion in annual revenues – have military armament that includes hand grenades, grenade launchers, armor-piercing munitions, antitank rockets and assault rifles smuggled from Central American countries.73 These are infantry weapons bought from around the world and not civilian “assault weapon” rifles from the United States.

Myth: Thousands of guns go into Mexico from the U.S. every day

Fact: In Senate Committee testimony, the BAFTE said the number was likely at worst in the “hundreds”.75 For 2007 and 2008, the average for all seizures was closer to 40 per day (29,000/730), only a fraction of which came from the USA by any means.

Myth: Mexico seizes 2,000 guns a day from the United States

Fact: The Mexican attorney general’s office reports seizing 29,000 weapons in all of 2007 and 2008, or about 14,500 a year. And that is all weapons, regardless of country of origin.74 Had they seized approximately 2,000 per day, the total number of seized guns would be closer to 1,460,000.

http://gunfacts.info/pdfs/gun-facts/5.1/gun-facts-5.1-screen.pdf

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
Oh! And the 1000 or so people who accidentally got shot every year. I guess they'd win actually.

You have a lot of other things to worry about before the people who are accidentally shot.

guns11.JPG

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Do not try to pass legislation in the middle of the night that you have purposely hid from the American People!

Wonder how many people shoot themselves with their own gun?

Last edited:

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
King of England was kicked out of the United States by citizen soldiers with guns. The USA does not need approval of England to do anything. If people in England choose to disarm themselves and become defenseless little children that is their problem.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
I'm not worried about any of it, but if we can save 1000 people by getting rid of a useless weapon, go for it.

guns10.JPG

Guns prevent an estimated 2.5 million crimes a year, or 6,849 every day.169 Often the gun is never fired and no blood (including the criminal’s) is shed. -Targeting Guns, Dr. Gary Kleck, Criminologist, Florida State University, Aldine, 1997

Every day, 550 rapes, 1,100 murders, and 5,200 other violent crimes are prevented just by showing a gun. In less than 0.9% of these instances is the gun ever actually fired. - BATFE

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
guns10.JPG

Guns prevent an estimated 2.5 million crimes a year, or 6,849 every day.169 Often the gun is never fired and no blood (including the criminal’s) is shed. -Targeting Guns, Dr. Gary Kleck, Criminologist, Florida State University, Aldine, 1997

Every day, 550 rapes, 1,100 murders, and 5,200 other violent crimes are prevented just by showing a gun. In less than 0.9% of these instances is the gun ever actually fired. - BATFE

Please remove police instances from that, as I'm suggesting making personal weapons illegal.

On a side note 1,100 murders per day wtf?! So guns save 364,000+ people per year?!

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
guns10.JPG

Man, that is just horrible.
Do you have any stats on how many of these crimes do happen everyday?

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
Actually I have the power of voting for representatives that have the same beliefs as I do. You can only flap you gums in an internet forum.

I'm sure your little vote changes the world, you are just and idiot who thinks he's more important than he is, of course that's just me flapping my gums, it's an opinion that means as much as everything you post on here.