When will we see Fury reviews?

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
Just watched that Kitguru video. I don't think he had one positive thing to say about AMD through all 13 minutes. He even went off on a tangent about how lame the PS4 and Xbox 1 are because of AMD APUs. I'm not surprised AMD gave them the boot.

Not that I agree with cutting off journalists who aren't going to give AMD glowing reviews but in this case, where Kitguru was not going to be impressed no matter what AMD came up with, it makes sense to not send them review samples.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Just watched that Kitguru video. I don't think he had one positive thing to say about AMD through all 13 minutes. He even went off on a tangent about how lame the PS4 and Xbox 1 are because of AMD APUs. I'm not surprised AMD gave them the boot.

Not that I agree with cutting off journalists who aren't going to give AMD glowing reviews but in this case, where Kitguru was not going to be impressed no matter what AMD came up with, it makes sense to not send them review samples.
He doesn't have to say anything positive but at least review it as if it were any other product listing pros and cons rather than his own opinion which sounded like he was bias.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
The other hilarious thing about this is that Nvidia does the same thing.

They release a review guide with their review samples. Can you imagine what happens to a site that doesn't follow the review guide? No card next time.

People are blowing this way out of proportion. The ones that are making AMD out to be the devil for this have conveniently forgotten that Nvidia does the exact same thing.

Feb 19, 2009
Just like to point out here, that people promoting this behavior from AMD today are also promoting NVIDIAs or any other company's behavior of restricting review samples when the review is negative.

If you people want this kind of journalism then i dont want to have a part on it. I believe that Companies, should not penalize the opinion of the press. The press should be free and have access to evaluate the hardware, if a review is bad or bias then its up to the consumer/reader to support or not the site in question.
If FURY X has 20-30 good commended reviews and 2-3 bad, then its not difficult to understand who is biased and who's not.

AtenRa, there's opinions, then there's statements which are misleading or outright lies. A lot of what he states in the video is WRONG yet he says it anyway. If a major editor at a big tech site does that (can't even get his basic tech facts straight), what hope is there that his "benchmark results" are valid? He could be just making up random numbers and claiming they are "facts".

You do not give people with no ethics freebies to enable them to profit. It would be a clear sign that you support their behavior.

xthetenth

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2014
I saw nothing wrong or biased about the KitGuru video. He ended up being right on the mark that the R300 series were going to be rebadged R200. He was just telling it how it is, It was a dose of reality for AMD, which obviously they want to hear nothing of.

So you don't think portraying Fury as a likely competitor for the 980 non-Ti and ignoring performance in favor of declaring the cards uncompetitive because of a misrepresented age is totally incorrect?

Really?

I'm pretty sure AMD knows they released refreshes. I'm also pretty sure AMD (and anyone with a brain and access to aftermarket 290 benches) knows they stack up just fine.

Eymar

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2001
People are blowing this way out of proportion. The ones that are making AMD out to be the devil for this have conveniently forgotten that Nvidia does the exact same thing.

It's like people either have short memories or hopefully just new to how pre release reviews work.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
So you don't think portraying Fury as a likely competitor for the 980 non-Ti and ignoring performance in favor of declaring the cards uncompetitive because of a misrepresented age is totally incorrect?

Really?

I'm pretty sure AMD knows they released refreshes. I'm also pretty sure AMD (and anyone with a brain and access to aftermarket 290 benches) knows they stack up just fine.

He was giving his opinion, he stipulated that multiple times even said he hopes he's wrong. The only thing he said is he doesn't see it competing with a Titan X. No, I don't see anything wrong with that at all. Your second paragraph means nothing. Has no bearing on this video, most certainly doesn't make it wrong to post. Yes... Really.

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
I saw nothing wrong or biased about the KitGuru video. He ended up being right on the mark that the R300 series were going to be rebadged R200. He was just telling it how it is, It was a dose of reality for AMD, which obviously they want to hear nothing of.

He coveniently ignored that the memory clocks were up. There were driver level software improvements in tesselation performance though that applies to earlier cards like R9 290X / R9 290 too if you can hack around with inf files as currently 15.15 works on R9 300 series alone. In fact if you remember the GTX 770 was a similar refresh with memory clocks up from 6 Ghz to 7 Ghz. TDP went up then too as it has for R9 390 and R9 390X cards. I did not see kitguru or anybody raise a noise then. So why now. Everybody would have been happy if R9 390X was a new chip based on the architectural improvements which Tonga got and the microarchitectural power efficiency improvements which Fiji got. But it is what it is. AMD is simply too cash strapped now and their do or die product on which they are focussing their R&D is Zen. In fact the R9 390X is on avg 10% faster than R9 290X with just 5% core clocks increase. Its a better refresh than GTX 770 in terms of perf improvement. :rolleyes:

He was giving his opinion, he stipulated that multiple times even said he hopes he's wrong. The only thing he said is he doesn't see it competing with a Titan X. No, I don't see anything wrong with that at all. Your second paragraph means nothing. Has no bearing on this video, most certainly doesn't make it wrong to post. Yes... Really.

If he doesn't have a clue about the performance then why the heck did he state Fury X cannot compete with Titan X. He was comparing Fury X with GTX 980. R9 390X is now trading blows with GTX 980 matching it at 4k and just 3-5% slower at 1440p on average . There are 3 products above R9 390X. Fury Nano which is expected to be significantly faster than R9 390X, Fury and Fury X. This guy really has an axe to grind as is evident from that rant of a video.

Last edited:

sam_816

Aug 9, 2014
any review leaks yet? weekends are particularly boring with no gpu in the system :(
darn these embargos..

Feb 19, 2009

As soon as he bagged AMD on consoles being 720p only, I knew he was off his head. Plenty of games run 1080p.

Then he even had the stupidity to say R290/X series was a rebadge. That's wrong. He said they were not competitive. Really? R290 beats 780, R290X beats Titan, at similar power usage in games, not competitive (even KitGuru's own TriX R290/X review show them beating NV's 780/Titan at 225-230W!!)? Is the guy just so NV biased, he thinks a faster AMD card isn't competitive, regardless? It took the 780Ti for NV to be competitive, but at a much higher price. Look where they are in recent times, R290X stomps on Kepler.

There's more wrong statements, but RS covered it already:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=37495772&postcount=190

Why even say stuff like "AMD just can't make a competitive GPU.. hope I'm wrong though"?

I mean how is it professional of him to go on a massive anti-AMD rant, then ends with "hope I'm wrong"... no bull, he's wrong all over the place, what would make someone like that post such a rant on youtube under KG's reputation?

Should AMD support such an unprofessional site? Can we even trust their numbers when they have no issue making up BS statements against facts?

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
He didn't say 290x was a rebadge. He specifically said that it was the exception.

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
Read it again, with attention to the highlighted parts.

I know what he said. He said the entire R9 300 series is a rebadge. That is not the truth. When Nvidia increased core and memory clocks on GTX 770 (basically improved GTX 680) what was this moron saying. Did he call it as a rebadge. So why is he saying this one is a rebadge. In fact AMD has doubled VRAM, increased core and memory clocks and is showing a greater perf increase over R9 290X than the GTX 770 did over GTX 680. TDP has gone up but so did GTX 770 over GTX 680.

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
He said "the current stack, the 200 series, the only new architecture was Hawaii"

Start watching at the 5:30 mark

Rubbish. What was the R9 285. Significant architectural improvements to bandwidth efficiency (color compression) , tesselation and ROP performance.

Feb 19, 2009
I know what he said. He said the entire R9 300 series is a rebadge. That is not the truth. When Nvidia increased core and memory clocks on GTX 770 (basically improved GTX 680) what was this moron saying. Did he call it as a rebadge. So why is he saying this one is a rebadge. In fact AMD has doubled VRAM, increased core and memory clocks and is showing a greater perf increase over R9 290X than the GTX 770 did over GTX 680. TDP has gone up but so did GTX 770 over GTX 680.

TDP hasn't gone up. AMD's TDP is 275W. But the 300 series are all AIB cards so they can set it to whatever they want (like that Gigabyte 980 with 342W on TPU). MSI sets it much higher, HIS & Sapphire from reviews are actually less than R290X, in particular the 390 is a lot less than R290.

power_maximum.gif

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012

Well 290x has an 8GB option it's just not all that common compared to the 4GB version, so really they just increased clocks, and not by any meaningful amount. You're really splitting hairs if you don't want to label that a rebadge. By that logic, factory overclocked 980Ti's with improved power delivery circuits aren't 980Ti's at all.

Last edited:

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Some reviewers are very entitled. Don't send them a review part, they start a crusade against you. I've even seen a reviewer tell his own audience he had no intentions of returning review samples, well not until he was "done" with a winky face.

The question of ethics is starting to stand out more. Most of these review sites aren't even staffed by legitimate journalist that took courses in Journalism. They are bloggers that got popular. So they don't seem to have an issue with firing a tweet off "didn't get my review sample, clearly something is wrong" as it poisons the well of what should inherently be an objective person. Clearly this person is already subjectively angry and his review may harbor that.

So who gets review samples? And some people posted here - every dick and jane that has a blog with a moderate amount of traffic? Or specialty shops that have a huge user base? And if you say specialty shops, should you not factor their inherent bias?

As someone who works in the medical field, the change to how pharmaceuticals can promote their products really affected things (for example some of my employer's bottom line). Lavish luncheons with presentations, gift baskets, free medical samples, pens+notepads (and a manager at one clinic didn't realize just how much money they were saving buy not having to buy their own pens+notepads+stationary haha). It all adds up.

To bring up the gaming industry, recent article be someone who got paid to attend a preview of Rock Band 4. Guy didn't even bother to even participate in the lavish event held on the roof top of an expensive hotel. His article? How much he doesn't like music genre games, and how everyone at the event looked retarded. Dat journalism!

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
Well 290x has an 8GB option it's just not all that common compared to the 4GB version, so really they just increased clocks, and not by any meaningful amount. You're really splitting hairs if you don't want to label that a rebadge. By that logic, factory overclocked 980Ti's with improved power delivery circuits aren't 980Ti's at all.

so if we agree that GTX 770 is a rebadge then yes the R9 390X can be called the same. :p but the question is did that idiot call the GTX 770 a rebadge and did he rant about Nvidia then?

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
so if we agree that GTX 770 is a rebadge then yes the R9 390X can be called the same. :p but the question is did that idiot call the GTX 770 a rebadge and did he rant about Nvidia then?

770 is by in large a 680 rebadge, yes. Difference being, that's a single card, one generation removed vs multiple cards, some of which will now be 2 generations old. You rebadge this many cards going on your 3rd generation, I would hope there would be some backlash. Do you not WANT new cards?

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
TDP hasn't gone up. AMD's TDP is 275W. But the 300 series are all AIB cards so they can set it to whatever they want (like that Gigabyte 980 with 342W on TPU). MSI sets it much higher, HIS & Sapphire from reviews are actually less than R290X, in particular the 390 is a lot less than R290.

power_maximum.gif

power consumption has gone up according to hwc, pcper and few other sites. But the gain in performance is higher than the increase in power consumption. so perf/watt has improved slightly. MSI has gone for a a bit too much of voltage for the MSI R9 390X Gaming to maintain 1100 Mhz. Thats the problem as it blows past 300w.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...646-amd-r9-390x-8gb-performance-review-3.html

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphi...9-390-8GB-Review/3DMark-Power-and-Conclusions

http://www.techspot.com/review/1019-radeon-r9-390x-390-380/page7.html

The Sapphire R9 390 Nitro and R9 390X Tri-X, HIS Iceq R9 390 and R9 390X are all showing perf/watt improvements. not bad for a so called rebadge. :whiste:

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
770 is by in large a 680 rebadge, yes. Difference being, that's a single card, one generation removed vs multiple cards, some of which will now be 2 generations old. You rebadge this many cards going on your 3rd generation, I would hope there would be some backlash. Do you not WANT new cards?

GTX 760 was a slightly more disabled GK104. GTX 670 had 1344 cc while GTX 760 had 1152. So I don't think the GTX 760 is a new card too. In fact the GTX 700 series was a mix of old GK104 (GTX 770 and GTX 760), new Gk100 (GTX 780, 780Ti, Titan) and the brand new Maxwell architecture based GTX 750 Ti and GTX 750.

Everybody would love to have new cards. But AMD is not in Nvidia's situation. AMD is trying to survive from years of bleeding due to Bulldozer disaster. Zen is the product which will make or kill AMD. So its evident that AMD is chosing to focus the bulk of their meagre R&D budget on Zen and 14nm FINFET GPUs with HBM2.

I do expect AMD to get to 14nm FINFET and HBM2 earlier than Nvidia due to their experience with HBM and 2.5D manufacturing with Fiji. AMD and Hynix are technology partners and co-inventors for HBM. So I am sure Hynix will prioritize HBM2 shipments to AMD rather than Nvidia. What we need for AMD to do is make significant microarchitectural improvements to improve performance and efficiency (perf/sp , perf/sq mm and perf/watt) and not rely on node shrinks for the same. Pascal will be a huge improvement in efficiency as Nvidia will benefit significantly from HBM2. Raw performance improvement over GM200 will also be pretty good at 35-40%. So AMD needs to improve perf/sp by atleast 35% if they want to compete with Pascal.